Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jun 2020 at 12:09 PM Last edited by Morrowindnostalgia : 28th Jun 2020 at 1:18 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage
Default MacOSX: Sims 2 (v1.2.3) won't launch - encounter bank error and then crashes. Deleting cache files unhelpful. Terminal reports: "Error: unsupported compressor 8", and "Error: Unknown compression scheme..."
Technical info:

Hey all!

I've followed every single step in Game Problem FAQ and researched several similar threads here on MTS and elsewhere, but nothing seems to help. Whenever I launch The Sims 2: Super Collection 1.2.3, the launcher appears normally, but clicking PLAY results in a blank error screen, after which the game crashes. For some reason, The Sims 2: Super Collection 1.2.4 runs fine though.

Here's a screenshot:

Now, everything I've read online tells me this problem should be solved by deleting various cache files (most importantly groups.cache). I did that and it didn't help.

I eventually tried launching the game directly through Terminal and got the following strange message:

Hours of google detective work hasn't really made me any wiser - apparently it's a problem that happens in Wine, but Sims 2 is not a Wine program as far as I'm aware. Some sources say it is a bug related to case sensitivity? Others suggest reinstalling Mojave?

I'm really lost.
Screenshots
Advertisement
Top Secret Researcher
#2 Old 1st Jul 2020 at 8:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morrowindnostalgia
Technical info:

Hey all!

I've followed every single step in Game Problem FAQ and researched several similar threads here on MTS and elsewhere, but nothing seems to help. Whenever I launch The Sims 2: Super Collection 1.2.3, the launcher appears normally, but clicking PLAY results in a blank error screen, after which the game crashes. For some reason, The Sims 2: Super Collection 1.2.4 runs fine though.

Hours of google detective work hasn't really made me any wiser - apparently it's a problem that happens in Wine, but Sims 2 is not a Wine program as far as I'm aware. Some sources say it is a bug related to case sensitivity? Others suggest reinstalling Mojave?

I'm really lost.

@Morrowindnostalgia

I am thinking that somehow that the reason version 1.2.3 crashes, but 1.2.4 runs fine is that you have a 64 bit Operating System.
Otherwise really strange crash is what I am thinking.

If you want to run 1.2.3 maybe try reinstalling Mojave?

for info on changing the Mac Open File Limit check out my post here http://www.insimenator.org/index.ph...html#msg1628939
Curiosity killed the cat,
but satisfaction brought it back.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 3rd Jul 2020 at 12:09 AM
@Morrowindnostalgia - I’m stumped. I’ve definitely not seen that error.

My restores from 1.2.4 to 1.2.3 were done at Sierra and High Sierra. I have one machine running Mojave, but have left it on 1.2.4 (it’s a Macbook Air and I can live without dontmergenhoodflora there). But people ran the game perfectly happily on Mojave for over a year before 1.2.4 was released so my best guess is that there’s either something missing from the restore, or something you need to get rid of but haven’t.

If you’d ever done anything like lighting mods or CEP or Scriptorium changes that modified the version of 1.2.3 that you’ve restored, make sure that you’ve re-done all the bits that live in your Sims 2 folder as well.