Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 25th Apr 2020 at 10:29 PM Last edited by karlakoo : 25th Apr 2020 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Found out possible reason

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Twitching when moving live mod camera to the sides
EDIT: I just found out that this might be frame rate problem. Highest frame rate that I am able to choose is 60. But for some reason it seems to drop in live mode. Is there anything to fix that?

Hi all, I am not exactly sure if this is more a graphics problem or lag/freezing problem.
But when I move camera to the sides (on live mode) picture is twitching. Looks like sims movements are also a bit jumpy. And it happens especially when camera is zoomed closed to sims. When camera is further away I don´t have this problem.
And this happens also in clean game (without any mods or CC at all).

I have fixed probably all memory, dual core, graphic card, graphic rulers etc. issues that there might be. I have tried to make my game as smooth as possible. So I don´t understand why this twitching is happening in live camera mode. It is driving me nuts.
It feels funny, because game is working very well other ways. It has never crashed even I have...well a lots of CC, around 36 000 packages....I never had any purple or red items problems or anything like that. Neighborhood view is working fine and CAS.
Could there be something wrong with live camera.txt. If I remember right I use Gunmods live camera. Though I did try to change it, but there was same problem, so probably not.

My computer is: Windows 7, Corei5-3470, 3.2Ghz, 8GB DDR3, GT1030.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 27th Apr 2020 at 7:14 PM
I'm not sure if this is the same situation that I'm describing. I was building a very big lot, and the frame rate dropped significantly when I moved the camera while zoomed out halfway (so that it shows roughly half of the lot). It also didn't drop as much when zoomed out entirely, or when zoomed in very close to the basement floor, and while moving the camera only slightly in one direction.

My impression is that the game reintroduces objects it hid from the field of view, and if there's lots of objects to re-render, it slows down a bit to catch up.

Of course, one solution to fixing the frame rate would be to lower all the graphics settings until the lag goes away, especially shadows and texture quality, and next, shaders.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 12:18 PM Last edited by karlakoo : 28th Apr 2020 at 1:05 PM.
Topp, is your frame rate crazy like mine? (In live mode press ctrl + shift + s) I don´t know if it is supposed to do that, change so fast like that. Once it is as low as 8 and suddenly over hundred. Looks like its completely out of control.

And weird thing is also, that when I open my NVIDIA control panel, it only recognize EP:s up to freetime, even I have all EPs and stuff packs.

And one more weird thing is, that I have 4GB patch. I didn´t work. So I checked how to fix it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0iwuLZyjMg.
I have three different Sims 2 folders. One is test folder, one medieval folder and one modern game folder. They all have their own Config-log.txt file. Well, when I checked from Config-log file, if 4GB patch started to work, it did. BUT only in two folders. In one folders log-file still has the old memory number. Even I opened the game from that folder once. I wonder what that might be.
Theorist
#4 Old 28th Apr 2020 at 4:29 PM Last edited by topp : 28th Apr 2020 at 10:05 PM.
Judging by my config log,
Memory: 2048MB
Free memory: 2048MB,
I'd say my current executable is not patched, but since I never experience crashing, I don't bother to apply the fix.

My FPS is usually around 25-35 (I used CTRL+ALT+S). It does on occasion drop lower than those values when using edge scrolling (sometimes, even down to 1). The FPS didn't drop as much when using right-click, which I usually use because it's slower and and gives me more control over the camera.

EDIT: Just now tested, it seems that I'm too getting values over 100 on lots much smaller than on which I originally tested this. Over 100 when idle, and then drops when I move the camera too fast. Continuing with the original post...

I'm not sure if applying the memory fix would improve my FPS.

Bear in mind, I am playing the game on an older HP laptop which has quite a complicated/glitchy dedicated graphics card toggle. Its graphics drivers haven't been updated by the vendor since its release to the market. I'm not even sure if the game is using the dedicated graphics card, and not Intel's. But since this is an old laptop, I'm not that attached to the game, and I don't mind the laptop dying on me, I can't really be bothered enough to dive into that problem again. The game looks pretty, and I consider my FPS count decent for the hardware that runs the game.

One thing that I would suggest is obtaining a FPS limiter that would throttle your GPU. I'm not sure where I read about it - was it Sims 2 or Sims 3 board on here - but someone mentioned installing that software, and their "lag" was mysteriously gone. From my understanding, the graphics card gets so overwhelmed with drawing everything in the 3D scene at highest possible speed, that it becomes overwhelmed when the 3D scene is changing. Bear in mind that I'm not at all familiar with GPUs, and I can only help so much with the subject. But for now, try finding said hardware for your GPU in hopes it helps.