Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#126 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 11:00 PM
3 and 4 really don't look better in many ways - still WAY too cartoonish, etc. They are harder to mod and worst of all 4 requires Origin, which is pretty much spyware/malware/a trojan.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#127 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 11:07 PM
I actually like the look of ts4 despite the cartoonish look... even though I can’t survive without my blush (but neither can I in ts2. It makes them look more alive c’:
Plus I cas a lot in ts4 but I prefer the personality point system of ts2 to any day!
I don’t care if I have a trait called hot-headed if my sim literally is never hot-headed towards other sims???
It’s stupid

I build small houses *^*
Scholar
#128 Old 23rd Jul 2019 at 11:31 PM
the only plausible scenario that EA would give S2 another shot is changing it into some "recurrent spending" f*ckery.

Are you wish that?

favorite quote: "When ElaineNualla is posting..I always read..Nutella. I am sorry" by Rosebine
self-claimed "lower-spec simmer"
Forum Resident
#129 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 12:20 AM
Idk how to say this, but I wouldn't mind them adding extra packages as long as they also add the originals? Of cause they can't just add originals because H&M and IKEA... which we won't ever see again ._.
But minded that I don't mind them adding extra stuff packs and in case game packs where they - just like with vampires - put focus on vampires to improve them from the original ts2 versions.
I would have to say I can see some aspects of them making a little bit more packages, but I wouldn't want an expansion pack diveded over 10 smaller "expansion" packs like they do with ts4 at the moment. They need to find a balance in what they should do. They would essentially recieve more positive feedback if the packages weren't so small and so expensive at once. Like the size of the pack should really judge the money fully...
the only reason there should become a good remake of ts2 would have been if a certain group of people pitched in knowing exactly what they would have to do to get people to buy the packages because EA just haven't figured it out that a few good decent sized packages would sell more than 10 small bad packages.
It's troublesome and if all the rumors are correct are we looking at a near future where EA is getting compitition on the life simulation market which they basically own. alone but shit is about to go down.

I build small houses *^*
Mad Poster
#130 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 12:32 AM
A 64-bit TS2, compatible with as many newer graphics cards as possble + Win10, and I'd be happy. No need for any flashy stuff or extra EPs or anything.

A completely new EP with just a bunch of new objects with a bunch of new interactions and animations, and no unneccessary "filler" items (because we have CC for that) would be brilliant (working strollers, bikes, more water toys, more winter activities and sports, more board games and activities, school projects, more toys for toddlers and infants... you name it! Anything that could expand what's possible to do in the game) would also be nice. Doubt they'd do that, though. I'm more hopeful for the 64-bit idea, though I don't have high hopes for that one, either.
Instructor
#131 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 2:01 AM
Or let someone else get all the rights to put it on steam. There are games on there that originally came out in the frickin' 80s. One I already had free as before they put it out it was public domain and I got the Commodore 64 version - though they added graphics. Funny thing is it is obviously from the 1980s - most expensive computer has a HD in the 100s of kilobytes, references to watching Johnny Carson, etc. Usually very cheap. I wonder if there will even be a Sims 5 given how 4 did, and I WON'T be getting it if it needs Origin. EA can stick Origin where the sun don't shine. Anyway that game I mentioned I technically did buy - in the 80s. For more, not even adjusted for inflation, than sold on Steam. Activision title.
Forum Resident
#132 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 2:39 AM
It's competition for their new stuff, and they don't want that. They want folks buying their new stuff.

...but as long as we're dreaming of a new TS2 EP, i'd like it to contain separate wearables for winterwear and rain gear. And FFS!! Let them have some reasonable reactions to weather! Don't make vampires get up at noon to look at the rain. Dont make them drop everything out of queue to run to the window and see that it's snowing for the 15th time. But DO make them change into rain gear when it's raining, or deploy an umbrella if they have one in their inventory. Have a dip in comfort if they're outdoors in the rain, and getting wet. Simple stuff!

...not that i'd mind terribly, if they put in more complex stuff, mind you. haha

-gE
>=)
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#133 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 3:02 AM
I want rain to have an actual effect. Yesterday I was playing one of my shops and had the toddler napping on a mat outside and it started to rain, he slept on unaffected. Which was kind of handy but really unrealistic. They should get uncomfortable and wet, kids + should wear rain gear ^ or put up an umbrella.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#134 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 4:57 PM
Urgg. I have grrd about that several times in the Grrr thread. Sims have to stop whatever they are doing and bend down to notice it's raining, but then they let their children play in it and leave babies outside sleeping in it. I wish, wish, wish that there was a mod that would make them scurry the little ones inside. It's maddening.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Mad Poster
#135 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 5:08 PM
I wonder if midgethetree could do it. But unfortunately her requests are still closed (she must have a horrible backlog to get through).
Instructor
#136 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 5:55 PM
There is a mod somewhere that they don't interrupt what they're doing to look at the weather.
Mad Poster
#137 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 5:59 PM
Nintendo has reissued classic console games (see Zelda), making some fixes along the way. But looking at what EA has done with Sims 4, I would be nervous to see what it does with Sims 2. It has been 15 years and two series since Sims 2. And yes, EA would probably micro-transact anything it could. I might have a far better experience with any de facto SPs/EPs from CC creators. At least if someone makes CC for a farm SP, I won't have to buy cows and chickens separately. (And yes, I know there are animated cows and chickens out there, but I had a really weird experience with the chickens. Really weird. )

Thanks to ALL free-site creators, admins and mods.

RIP Sunni ... truly a ray of light.
Forum Resident
#138 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 6:47 PM Last edited by natboopsie : 24th Jul 2019 at 9:41 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
I want rain to have an actual effect.

I'm only over here to break while in the middle of writing a long multi-reply, but perhaps I'll be able to search for a cite later...I vaguely remember that Maxis meant for sims to react to active precipitation indirectly, by being somewhat more likely to choose indoor activities when it's raining, snowing, or especially hailing. But that only reflects in their activity choices for themselves and certainly not for their kids...and I'm not sure how strong an influence it is (or if it even works!).

Edited once more to add: The only cite I could find isn't much of one. (Second paragraph, first sentence, in the subsection "Rain".) It's also only stated as being true in the specific case of rain, not mentioned regarding hail, snow, or lightning. So...I dunno.

ETA:
Quote: Originally posted by gazania
And yes, EA would probably micro-transact anything it could.

That is a good point...and makes you wonder whether we'd even *want* to have EA re-release TS2. Maybe what we really want is for them to leave it alone and sell us the source code. (Crowdfunding?)

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Mad Poster
#139 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 7:41 PM
I'd be up for crowdfunding, or whatever. But, they are NEVER going to let it go.

"Fear not little flock, for it hath pleased your Father to give you a kingdom". Luke 12:32 Chris Hatch's family friendly files archived on SFS: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=603534 . Bulbizarre's website: https://archiveofourown.org/users/C...CoveredPortals/
Forum Resident
#140 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 9:45 PM
Seeing how people at home make EAs games much better could I nearly bet that a small studio would do better off remaking sims 2 than EA would - of cause this would come down to EA paying the studio since EA has the rights to the sims franchise

I build small houses *^*
Instructor
#141 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 9:47 PM
Unless some other company could make a similar game. I wouldn't buy anything from EA these days given it requires Origin. Don't forget how horribly buggy even 2 was - and everything EA fixed broke something else. Other problems to - annoyances, etc. It really took the modding community to fix them. There's actually a meme out there of Gordon Ramsey yelling at someone in the kitchen "This dish is so unfinished, EA tried to release it!"

Actually there are a few. One:
Theorist
#142 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 10:32 PM
For me there are so many things that went into throwing EA to the curb. I think the list is a good half-mile long.

Quote:
Don't forget how horribly buggy even 2 was - and everything EA fixed broke something else. Other problems to - annoyances, etc.

This. Every stinkin' patch they released broke something that worked before and they never would fix it. I do believe, though, part of the problem is so much code they couldn't fix it if they tried.
Theorist
#143 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by smorbie1
I'd be up for crowdfunding, or whatever. But, they are NEVER going to let it go.

We could try crowdfunding a hostile takeover of EA games by buying upa majority of their stock.

Then we threaten to sell it all to their competitor unless they give us the licence and source code to Sims 2.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#144 Old 24th Jul 2019 at 11:59 PM
They did some changes to the game engine with several of the TS2 EPs (but I have absolutely no knowledge of what they did), so some core tweaking may be psosible without compltely starting over. I have no clue what it would take to upgrade a game from 32-bit to 64-bit, whether it can be done simply if they still have the original files or if it needs a complete rebuilding, but there are programs with support for both, and programs that started as 32-bit end ended up as 64-bit, so... well, I don't know.

The patches... to be 100% honest, except for the first couple times I installed my game (I had some issues on my first laptop back in the early days of TS2, and did the noob mistake of reinstalling instead of deleting cache files, which I'm reasonably sure would've fixed the issues I had) I never really bothered to patch my game other than the auto-patches that were included on the next EP/SP CD. I noticed perhaps 2 issues that I know the patches could have fixed, but I found ways around (and went for player-made fixes instead, which worked better). The patches had an annoying habit of breaking more than they fixed, or not fixing actual issues (just some bizarre ones you'd most likely never see), and this has continued up to both TS3 and TS4 (where the patches/updates have on multiple occasions made half of your CC not work, or done other strange things, in addition to TS4's habit of changing the UI and loading screen at least twice a year and changing it again when people complain ).
Forum Resident
#145 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 12:09 AM
All we would really need is access to Edith -- the programming software they used to create for TS2. Remember -- SimPE is just reversed engineering of the game, and there's a TON of stuff the SimPE people couldn't decode (don't see much custom lighting, do you?). If we could get our hands on Edith... i mean, people are doing outstanding things with SimPE, which, as great as it might be, is NOTHING compared to what they have.

While Crowdfunding is an appealing idea, Electronic Arts net worth as of July 18, 2019 is $26.46 billion. I don't think we're even gonna come close. That said, I don't think we even have to! I'm sure that for $45,000 we could probably pay somebody to heist it! They could either hack in and download it, or they could get hired, incognito, then walk into their programming studios, find out where Edith is kept, and kidnap her via thumb drive! Our assailant can be in and out of there, lickety split, before they even knew Edith was missing! Then distribute her on PSMBD or SimsFileShare. It'll spread like wildfire, and then the universe will be OURS!!!

ALL: SINISTER LAUGH

Mwahahhaa! Mwahahahah! Mwahahahha!!*

-gE
>=)

* This post is meant to be amusing, and not to endorse ACTUALLY breaking into EA, neither electronically nor physically; nor theft of any of their property, both real and virtual. Any implication or incitement interpreted from this post is purely and solely the responsibility of said individual and/or perpetrator. By reading this you agree not to hold the OP responsible for your actions.

...But if anybody does, proliferate!
Theorist
#146 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 12:14 AM
But guys I have it all planned out. We crowdfound not just with Sim fans....but with fans of every franchise EA has ruined! That should be enough people.

Then when we have the license/source code to Sims 2 safely in our hands....then we sell all their stock to some Game Publisher in China, destroying EA games forever.

Then we just rename Sims 2 "Pixel People" or something like that and give the whole thing to Paradox Interactive so they can make a new game out of it.

I can see positively nothing going wrong with this. Nothing at all. We should be able to do all of that by next Tuesday.

Then we celebrate with ice cream.

*This is of course also just jest. I have no idea how any of this works in real life.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#147 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 12:19 AM
In case anyone else was instantly curious about Edith, here's a The Sims thread with some interesting links. I assume it's the same Edith!

*Ongoing TS2 informational projects (come on by to contribute, get info, or spectate!): (1) the SimPE Preservation Project and (2) Conflict Tracking for the 3t2 Traits Project Mods
*Need a Pescado mod? Use his hack directory: in the first post, find the link for your latest EP, then go in hacks/
Instructor
#148 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 12:19 AM
I've got Origin's Sims 2 and all the original CDs as well plus the Collected editions plus every Prima guidebook. I was the complete addict! I used the Origin version a short while ago and it does run well but after a couple of plays I left it alone. I might go back to it if I can find my CDs full of programs and CC I downloaded for it and the external CD player I need for them. It cost me a fortune in line fees then, no cable or wifi.
I've never checked to see if IKEA and H&M are in the Origin download version. Are they?
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#149 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 12:59 AM
@ElaineNualla are you running TS2 on Linux? I decided to give it a go.
Mad Poster
#150 Old 25th Jul 2019 at 1:32 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 25th Jul 2019 at 1:43 AM.
Hamishmc,
The UC (origin version) has all the packs, they removed SecuRom (possibly also the Store version?), added all the patches, and it was also supposedly updated to work better with Win10 (but whatever they did it's not making it easier to run on my laptop, so that's probably something else they buggered up).
Page 6 of 8