Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 12:49 PM Last edited by jain : 12th Apr 2020 at 8:22 PM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Leaping Camera-Resolved
I'm having a problem with my camera that's driving my crazy. When I'm in a lot the camera view constantly leaps around from one side of the lot to another, to the back of the lot, to the front across the street, to either side and back and forth constantly all in huge dizzying sweeps. Sometimes it swings round and round. At the same time it's now become really hard to get the camera to focus on small things like selecting an option. It jiggers so that I have to try several times to pick an action for a sim for example. It won't sit still. Trying to select an area to recolor like a floor is terribly difficult.

I forced the game to reset by renaming my main game so that it used the plain game camera and no mods or cc but it made no difference. I changed from one mouse to another thinking the mouse might be broken but again, it didn't help. It's like playing on a roller coaster or something and the constant rolling makes me literally nauseous. It didn't use to do this. Any ideas on how to make it stop?

My modded camera is Gunmod's camera 3.1 for what it's worth although the leaping happens even when I don't use the mod.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 3:19 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 10th Apr 2020 at 11:37 PM.
You don't happen to have your antivirus running scans or doing some work in the background, do you? Or another resource-intensive program?

I had my ingame camera (especially the TAB camera) go absolutely nuts back when I used Norton. The TAB camera would shoot here and there, or just start going around in a circle pointed at the sky. When this happened, and I went back to the desktop to check, there was always a Norton scan going on. Temporarily deactivating the antivirus could help (at least don't do heavy scanning while playing), and you may want to make sure the antivirus doesn't mess around with the install or document files belonging to the game.

You may also want to check that the mouse arrow is able to stay put in one place when you let go of the mouse. If the arrow keeps jumping or moving even when you're not playing Sims, it could mean you have a bad underside for the mouse, so you may want to get a proper mouse pad. The mouse settings could maybe also need a check, as could probably the mouse drivers.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#3 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 3:51 PM
I do have both malwarebytes and Bitdefender running all the time so I'll turn them off and check. I thought the mouse pad was probably worn out since it's YEARS old but my son said it was supposed to be that slick. The camera drifts on lots the way it does in NB view if drift is enabled but I don't think I've ever turned it off and didn't think it had anything to do with camera behavior in a lot anyway. I got a new hard drive a few months ago and had to reinstall windows and the game. I've been struggling with all kinds of strange things ever since so just about anything is possible. I'm away from my computer so will have to wait a couple of hours to experiment with the anti virus. Thank you!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 10th Apr 2020 at 11:10 PM
I think doing all the things you recommended has minimized the wild jumping. I turned off the anti virus software. I got a new mousepad (despite my son's eye rolling) and replaced the old one. When I can I'm cautiously using the arrow keys to move around instead of rapidly moving the mouse across the screen. I'm going to look into decreasing the mouse sensitivity too but as of right now, I can actually select something on a lot and change rooms without the camera going wild. Thank you so much!!