Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Instructor
Original Poster
#1 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 3:11 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default How high a resolution is possible?
I have got my UC running in Windows 10. And I have it displaying at 2560x1440. But on my 4K monitor it is way too small, making it tough to play. I specified a resolution of 3840x2160 in Graphics Rules Maker. Is there some limit I am running into, limiting the resolution? It can’t be insufficient video ram, not with 11 gig of it.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 1:04 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 15th Apr 2020 at 1:24 PM.
Is your 4K screen big? As in how many inches is it? If you're on a 15-17'' laptop without a separate screen there's rarely a point in having full resolution (around 1920x1080 or thereabout looks fine on a laptop), but if you're on a 30-50'' screen or larger, you may notice a difference with a higher resolution.

If you're running a high resolution on a small screen with 4K, everything will look very small. You'll usually have to set the resolution lower to make things bigger. High resolution also means the game/computer/graphic card(s) use more memory, so it's a balance between quality and performance.

The game has a 2-4 GB limit on RAM use, depending on whether you've done the 4GB fix. It does help with more RAM, and/or a dedicated graphic card (I'm not sure exactly how the 2-4 GBs are calculated, or whether screen resolution has anything to say), but it's an old 32-bit game with some issues when running on 64-bit soft/hardware, so at some point you are likely to hit the max capacity in some way.

Personally I set both my game and my laptop to around 1920x1080 even if I can have much higher (a little bit narrower for the game, because I play windowed and like having access to a couple icons). I use a screenshot program and didn't want huge pictures (it captures in screen resolution size), and it bothered me that the UI ingame was so small. I have a 17'' screen, so this size is more than enough for me. 4K resolution is only really useful in a laptop if you're planning to connect a much bigger external screen to the laptop, which I don't have any plans to do (the 4K happened to be a package deal).
Instructor
Original Poster
#3 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 4:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Is your 4K screen big? As in how many inches is it? If you're on a 15-17'' laptop without a separate screen there's rarely a point in having full resolution (around 1920x1080 or thereabout looks fine on a laptop), but if you're on a 30-50'' screen or larger, you may notice a difference with a higher resolution.

If you're running a high resolution on a small screen with 4K, everything will look very small. You'll usually have to set the resolution lower to make things bigger. High resolution also means the game/computer/graphic card(s) use more memory, so it's a balance between quality and performance.

The game has a 2-4 GB limit on RAM use, depending on whether you've done the 4GB fix. It does help with more RAM, and/or a dedicated graphic card (I'm not sure exactly how the 2-4 GBs are calculated, or whether screen resolution has anything to say), but it's an old 32-bit game with some issues when running on 64-bit soft/hardware, so at some point you are likely to hit the max capacity in some way.

Personally I set both my game and my laptop to around 1920x1080 even if I can have much higher (a little bit narrower for the game, because I play windowed and like having access to a couple icons). I use a screenshot program and didn't want huge pictures (it captures in screen resolution size), and it bothered me that the UI ingame was so small. I have a 17'' screen, so this size is more than enough for me. 4K resolution is only really useful in a laptop if you're planning to connect a much bigger external screen to the laptop, which I don't have any plans to do (the 4K happened to be a package deal).

It is not a laptop, but a gaming desktop. Dedicated video card, the RTX 2080TI, 11 gig version. (Why yes, I do play other games) It is about a 25 inch screen. Not huge, but not small. The problem is that the game only uses the portion of the screen that corresponds to the resolution - so roughly half the screen. The UI is tiny! Yes, I did the 4 gig fix.

It occurs to me that changing my screen resolution to something lower might be a good workaround. I’d still like to know why I can’t get 4K, though.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 15th Apr 2020 at 6:05 PM
You can try to set it up in the GraphicsRules file. I think you can add custom resolution there.
Instructor
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jun 2020 at 10:01 PM
Graphics rules has max and default both set to 3840x2160, but the best I can actually get is 2560x1440. I am wondering if I need to change the graphicsrules.sgr memory settings, up near the beginning of the file. Where it says this:
seti memoryLevelHigh 512
seti memoryLevelMedium 384
seti memoryLevelLow 256

But I am unsure if that would adversely affect the 4 gig of ram the game can use. Shrug. I can just change it and see what happens. Worst case scenario is it doesn't work. Interesting that the highest resolution it will use needs just under 4 gig of video ram.
Scholar
#6 Old 25th Jun 2020 at 11:21 PM
You would go to the Graphics Rules.sgr file in the C:\Program Files (x86)\EA GAMES\The Sims 2\TSData\Res\Config\ directory (and the equivalent directory of your latest expansion or stuff pack), and change this section:

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 800
uintProp maxResHeight 600
uintProp defaultResWidth 800
uintProp defaultResHeight 600

setting $Medium
uintProp maxResWidth 1280
uintProp maxResHeight 1024
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

setting $High
uintProp maxResWidth 1600
uintProp maxResHeight 1200
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768
end

The maxWidth/defaultWidth would be the length of the resolution from left-to-right, and the maxHeight/defaultHeight would be screen's height from top-to-bottom.

You can theoretically set the resolution to max size of your screen, but as has been said above, if your screen is only 25" diagonally, I don't think having the game set at 4K resolution would be much noticeable, unless you're inches away from the monitor.

Like I have a BenQ EX3203R monitor that's curved and 31.5" diagonally. I sit about 2 feet away from it. At such a large size, pixels are noticeable for me on a 1920x1080 pixel resolution. Thankfully the BenQ monitor is a 2K monitor with 77.77% more pixels. Not too taxing on the graphics card, and much smoother at 144Hz versus 60Hz.

Check out my latest version of Superman's Classic Uniform for The Sims 2.
See what images I have posted on DeviantArt as well related to The Sims 2 and designs.
Also check out My Website to see my superhero uniform creations for The Sims 2. THANKS!!!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#7 Old 25th Jun 2020 at 11:40 PM
What is your config-log.txt reading? Does it see your graphics card?

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~