Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st May 2020 at 12:49 AM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 1st May 2020 at 8:42 AM.

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Game will only play in 800 x 600? SOLVED, Thanks !!
So my old Radeon amd catalyst graphics card died ; the one that came with my pc 3 months ago.
I didn't buy the protection plan for the card, so that's a loss.
At least my sims correctly installed and are running fine on my new Win 10.

Am planning to buy an Nvidia Quadro K 4000 graphics card.
My friend's daughter uses this card for high end graphics fps games and I'm thinking it will work fine for my sims' which are less demanding for graphics.

But in the meantime I had to have the computer store put back in my old Nvidia GeForce GT 710 ; until the new card comes.
My system is a Win 10.

And when going into the game the neighborhood is showing in 800 x 600 only.
So I went to change the settings and the only option is 800 x 600 !
No other option is even showing at all.

Back when I had Win Vista and that exact same Nvidia card, there was all of the graphic settings for the hood up to 1600 x 1024 (I think that was the highest for the sims' graphics.) .

Does anyone know how to change the graphic card to enable graphic settings, for the sims game ?
I know that the old Nvidia GT 710 was capable of showing all of the sims' settings; so how to fix this ?

Like I said, it worked fine in my dinosaur pc Vista until it died a few months ago ; so essentially the store just changed my old graphics card to fill in for a while until I buy a better card.
Anything for my sims.

I can post my specs after I find them.
Thanks in advance for any help !

" Inama Nushif "
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 1st May 2020 at 1:45 AM
Do you remember the settings for your old computer?

Because you can change them manually in the graphics settings.

Better yet, get the Graphics Rule Maker, and it will help you set it up.

I had to do it manually in my new computer by copying the last two settings so that the low, medium and high settings were all there.

Technical info:

This is the section of the Graphics SGR of my computer, which I had to manually change to reflect all the capabilities of my card:

option ScreenModeResolution

setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 1366
uintProp maxResHeight 768
uintProp defaultResWidth 1024
uintProp defaultResHeight 768

setting $Medium

setting $High
end
If you can change the settings manually, do so, or save the file, make the changes and have it overwrite the old file in your game.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 1st May 2020 at 2:10 AM
Thanks, FranH.
The settings for low, med. and high are working in-game.

The 800 x 600 is the only option for game settings; and is not acceptable as I like to play it in the highest or next to highest, 1960 x 1024.
I think that was it.

I do not remember the settings for Vista when I played the sims on that PC.

Win. 10 is a bit different, but I was able to get everything installed and running at the highest settings until the AMD Radeon burnt out.

Will the graphics rule maker change my Nvidia GT 710 so that the settings options will show for the game ?
Thanks in advance.

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#4 Old 1st May 2020 at 2:16 AM
I used graphics rules maker, but had to actually manually edit the file it generated to see higher resolutions. It wasn't a difficult edit, but I don't remember where I found the instructions. It's tricky though, because Windows doesn't let you edit files in Program Files, so you have to copy it, edit outside of Program Files, delete it from Program Files and then replace it.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 1st May 2020 at 2:59 AM
You're in luck, because the new Graphics Rules Maker has just come out. This will probably help you with the resolution, and maybe other graphical issues should they arise. Here is it: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker
Scholar
Original Poster
#6 Old 1st May 2020 at 3:19 AM
Ok, thanks everyone.

I just started up the game again.
Before the intro., the pc itself reverts to 800 x 600 on the desktop.
It never used to do that before.

The options to choose 'high', 'medium', or 'low' are working in the game.

The card I'm using is an older one that I had with my old Vista.
It supported up to (I think) 1920 x 1080 within the game ?
It might have been lower; but I know there are a lot more options than the lowest graphics.
With 800 x 600 being the lowest.

I am planning to buy a better graphics card but haven't yet .
Now only 800 x 600 is showing in game in the "graphics/performance options".
Everything else can be toggled including the low-to-high options including shadows.

So....... should I uninstall the whole game and reinstall it and see if it works to play the game higher than 800x600 ?
Tia.

" Inama Nushif "
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 1st May 2020 at 3:21 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
You're in luck, because the new Graphics Rules Maker has just come out. This will probably help you with the resolution, and maybe other graphical issues should they arise. Here is it: https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

Thanks I'll try it.

And if it doesn't work for the "Options" --"graphics/performance options" to play the game higher than 800x600; I can uninstall and reinstall it.

" Inama Nushif "
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 1st May 2020 at 4:56 AM Last edited by Tleilaxu3 : 1st May 2020 at 8:41 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by mate54

Thanks !
I DL'd it and I have a question : Since the first Sims2 disc I installed was "The Sims 2 Deluxe", should I make the program use that to change the settings ?
Or should I use the default which says "Mansion and Garden Stuff" ?

Edited to add : The M&G is the default chosen and the Sims 2 Deluxe wasn't an option.
It appears to have worked.
Thanks everyone so much ! :D

" Inama Nushif "
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st May 2020 at 5:11 AM
Use the last EP you have installed. Mine is M&G, and it is yours as well.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles