Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#1 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:55 AM Last edited by MissPat : 16th Mar 2021 at 3:30 AM.
Default *WIP* Skilling Townies Hack: introducing "Studyholics" tuning file for Moar Interactions
The Background story

The name came from that cute moodlet that sims get when they study hard:

Incompatibility / Clashes

This is a tuning of the ITUN file "TwoBTech_ReadSkillBook_Bookshelf" inside of Buzzler's "Moar Interactions" mod's package file.

Since this tuning file is affecting a custom interaction created by Buzzler, there should be no incompatibility issue whatsoever with any other mod. If you do run into issues, please let me know.

The interaction name:

EDIT 16.03.21: "Spring Cleaning + New Skills + Toddlers Update" mod progress announcement in this post.
EDIT 07.09.20: Added zip file that contains a lite version of Buzzler's mod. Requested by beta testers who do not want to install Buzzler's full mod but still want to enjoy his original, custom "read skill books" interaction for townies. Installation instructions can be found in this post .
EDIT 28.07.20: Tuning file data removed as it is being queued to the uploads.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Studyholics_v1 - 28.07.20.zip (7.2 KB, 92 downloads)
File Type: zip  Buzz_Moar_ReadSkillBook_Only_v3.zip (42.8 KB, 60 downloads)
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#2 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:39 PM
Whoa, this sounds amazing! I'm extremely impressed with your level of data collecting; I'd always kind of wondered why townies were so bad at career advancement, but never looked into it, so this is a solution to a problem I didn't even realize could be solved. I'm excited to try it once I get back to playing instead of just modding!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#3 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 5:50 PM
I know, right? We just assume townies are hopeless creatures that need to get it together in their spare time and turns out... It's actually our business! And we have to look into their issues on *our* time! Oh, the joy. Like our active sims don't have enough problems already...

Thanks for the compliment on data collecting, I've been struggling with my nerd side because it can be overwhelming for people to sift through all the geeky deets. Will do more of this overtime

Looking forward to your feedback!
Instructor
#4 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 6:18 PM
@MissPat it looks fantastic! I also love NPC's and can't wait to try your tuning file. Congratulations for all your impressive data collecting work indeed!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#5 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 6:22 PM
Yay, so glad to see you in this thread!

Can't wait for your feedback - hopefully it'll be game-changing
Mad Poster
#6 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 7:37 PM
Are you looking for testers/feedback on this? If yes, a moderator will probably move this to the upload section. If this is done, then you need to submit this to the site for approval and publication.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#7 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 8:30 PM
It's a good question, actually. This tuning file does not qualify as a proper upload because:
1) The tuning file depends on Buzzler's mod.
2) Buzzler did not provide a tuning file for this specific area of his mod, namely the XML file "TwoBTech_ReadSkillBook_Bookshelf".

My understanding is that my tuning file does not work on its own. You cannot install it in the root "packages" folder and have it running. It only works if you overwrite Buzzler's version of it, which *I believe* can only be achieved by manually placing the tuning file inside of Buzzler's mod package file.

That's why I'm thinking it's mainly a "gameplay" file.

Does it make sense?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#8 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 9:11 PM
I don't see why this tuning mod would not qualify as a proper upload.  Many uploads require other mods/cc to work, and I don't think this is any different.  We don't allow cc to be shared in the discussion forums though.

You could put all your data in the upload, or you could continue your discussion of this mod here while the actual files are uploaded to the queue.   You can either upload this to the queue, I can move it to Creator Issues if you need more time to craft a less tl;dr text or any other adjustments, or it can be removed.  Let me know how you want to move this.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#9 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 10:28 PM
Ah ok, sorry I didn't realize CC file attachments were not allowed in this sub-forum.

I'm deleting my post attachment and heading to the uploads queue. Will reduce the post length, too.

EDIT: I can't seem to be able to delete the post attachments, feel free to delete it. I'll continue the discussion of the mod here while the files are in the upload queue. Thanks!
Mad Poster
#10 Old 28th Jul 2020 at 11:34 PM
Quote: Originally posted by MissPat
Ah ok, sorry I didn't realize CC file attachments were not allowed in this sub-forum.

I'm deleting my post attachment and heading to the uploads queue. Will reduce the post length, too.

EDIT: I can't seem to be able to delete the post attachments, feel free to delete it. I'll continue the discussion of the mod here while the files are in the upload queue. Thanks!

It might be worth copying and pasting this thread in the Creator Feedback Forum, just for a bit of testing beforehand!

Definitely super interesting though- I do love mods that increase sim autonomy!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#11 Old 29th Jul 2020 at 2:07 AM
Mad Poster
#12 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 3:00 PM Last edited by jje1000 : 30th Jul 2020 at 3:46 PM.
Thanks jje1000! Autonomy tuning fans unite!

Definitely so- the wonderful thing about TS3 is basically people watching, especially if you have NRAAS tagger on so you can see what other households are up to.

I personally would love to see some more things made autonomous, like paying the bills (there was a mod for it, but it broke), or fulfilling needs when they reach yellow (usually sims only fulfill them when they're in the red).
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#13 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 5:29 PM
@jje1000 Oh I didn't know that needs were not autonomously fulfilled *before* reaching red. Interesting.
Yeah outside of using Nraas type script mods, I don't know if there are other ways to achieve autonomous bills payment.

@HugeLunatic: unfortunately after further testing, I've confirmed that my ITUN file has zero effect when it's placed in the root "packages" folder along Buzzler's mod. Opening Buzzler's mod in S3PE and copy/pasting stuff is required to make this "hack" work, so I'll move my tuning file elsewhere on the web along with instructions.

Should this thread be deleted, then? I'm fine with that.
Instructor
#14 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 6:18 PM
This sounds really interesting, I'd love a more involved town

@HugeLunatic: unfortunately after further testing, I've confirmed that my ITUN file has zero effect when it's placed in the root "packages" folder along Buzzler's mod. Opening Buzzler's mod in S3PE and copy/pasting stuff is required to make this "hack" work, so I'll move my tuning file elsewhere on the web along with instructions.

If you made an edit of the resources of the mod and put both the original and your new one in Packages, that's probably why it's not working. Yours would need to go into Overrides.
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#15 Old 30th Jul 2020 at 6:36 PM
 unfortunately after further testing, I've confirmed that my ITUN file has zero effect when it's placed in the root "packages" folder along Buzzler's mod. Opening Buzzler's mod in S3PE and copy/pasting stuff is required to make this "hack" work, so I'll move my tuning file elsewhere on the web along with instructions.

Buzzler has a very open policy, so you could combine and upload here if you like. But if you wish to create the actual upload on say, your tumblr, and link to it from here to keep an ongoing discussion/feedback, that's fine too.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#16 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 2:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by enable_llamas
If you made an edit of the resources of the mod and put both the original and your new one in Packages, that's probably why it's not working. Yours would need to go into Overrides.

That's such a good insight, I completely overlooked I even *had* an override folder (I have and there is like, 7 files in it). Going to test it and report back!

Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
But if you wish to create the actual upload on say, your tumblr, and link to it from here to keep an ongoing discussion/feedback, that's fine too.

Sounds like a plan! Will create the Simblr post in the next 2 days and confirm when done.
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#17 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 3:19 AM
@enable_llamas IT WORKS! I'm so happy, I could cry... I've been trying since FOR-E-VER to share this tuning file in a straightforward fashion but all my attempts flat out failed. The override folder was the solution! You rock!

I'm going to take some pics and get the file ready for prime - upload queue - time.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 5:15 PM
@jje1000 Oh I didn't know that needs were not autonomously fulfilled *before* reaching red. Interesting.
Yeah outside of using Nraas type script mods, I don't know if there are other ways to achieve autonomous bills payment.

They sometimes do, but usually the fun attractor for fulfilling needs is far below doing other stuff.

The billpaying mod was this one here:
https://modthesims.info/d/383084/au...5-5-and-10.html

While I like the NRAAS autopay mods, I like having sims physically do it on their own, rather than some abstract amount of money being deducted from the accounts- makes it more tactile!
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#19 Old 31st Jul 2020 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by jje1000
The billpaying mod was this one here:
https://modthesims.info/d/383084/au...5-5-and-10.html

I understand your bill payment preference, actually - it's more realistic especially for the active family. I'm looking up the code of the mod above and I'm finding this:
- there's a bunch of extra lines in its XML file "Mailbox_0x894944a6dad4a2cf" that no longer exist in the same XML file for a game patched up to 1.67
- also in the XML file "PayBill_Bill" the code says "BaseGame", while EA now writes it with a spacing: "Base Game".
- a couple of these XML / ITUN files have code lines that no longer exist in their patch 1.67 versions.

Have you also reached the conclusion that the mod is broken due to higher patches? I can look into that for you next week if you want. We can start a topic over at the Creators forum threads
Mad Poster
#20 Old 1st Aug 2020 at 4:11 AM
Have you also reached the conclusion that the mod is broken due to higher patches? I can look into that for you next week if you want. We can start a topic over at the Creators forum threads

I tried the mod, and sims still seemed to not pay their bills autonomously even up to the due date.

Maybe an ongoing 'Sims Autonomy Tuning' thread could go in the Modding Discussions forum?

https://modthesims.info/forumdisplay.php?f=547
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#21 Old 2nd Aug 2020 at 9:08 AM
Great idea + done! Let's see what we can do about these bills over there.
Lab Assistant
#22 Old 21st Aug 2020 at 6:18 PM
Hey hey, super mod dear, I try the 200 version now ;-) thanks a lot for your long skill, trait and lot implementation.
I only changed DisallowUserDirected="False" to true.

Regards/Gruß Claudy
You can also meet me at nraas https://www.nraas.net/community/active-topics
Scholar
#23 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 1:49 AM
Hey, MissPat! Congratulations on your upcoming Studyholics mod release! It sounds great: ) I love Buzzler's Moar Interaction mod
I agree that the townies skill/work progress is just as important as the active sims. I play families in rotation but I stalk the inactives in the library and their workplaces (if open) to see what they're doing, what book they're reading etc. They mostly read trashy novels lol. I would love for them to read more skill books at least!
I look forward to the official release of it and trying it out Good Luck!
And I'm obsessed with anything to do with money in Sims 3, so any mod that would improve bills, investments and stocks, banking, loans etc would be fine with me lol. I really wish Buzzler's Lost and Found Stock Market mod was still working
Forum Resident
Original Poster
#24 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 10:23 AM
Heya desiree, I echo 1000% your feelings regarding all the idling / trash reading of townies! I mean come on folks, get your stuff together and get educated on your non-user directed time!

I do plan on looking up the money mods:
  • I love the "Money" module of StoryProgression. I hit up the "accounting" feature to see what households have been spending their money on and always find it fascinating. I could get lost in these details.
  • If my modding skills increase, I do plan on looking into why Buzzler's Lost and Found Stock Market is broken, or even why EA's own Stock Market mod (which Buzzler's mod is built on), is broken. Fingers crossed on that one.
  • I did bookmark a ton of money-related stuff from the TS2 downloads section of MTS. Certificates! Ingots! Bank notes! Money Jars! Make. It. Rain.
  • I've heard great reviews about the online banking mod but I find it intimidating for now. I am going to test it at my pace and see what it inspires me to achieve in the game.
Scholar
#25 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 2:55 PM
Heya desiree, I echo 1000% your feelings regarding all the idling / trash reading of townies! I mean come on folks, get your stuff together and get educated on your non-user directed time!

I do plan on looking up the money mods:
  • I love the "Money" module of StoryProgression. I hit up the "accounting" feature to see what households have been spending their money on and always find it fascinating. I could get lost in these details.
  • If my modding skills increase, I do plan on looking into why Buzzler's Lost and Found Stock Market is broken, or even why EA's own Stock Market mod (which Buzzler's mod is built on), is broken. Fingers crossed on that one.
  • I did bookmark a ton of money-related stuff from the TS2 downloads section of MTS. Certificates! Ingots! Bank notes! Money Jars! Make. It. Rain.
  • I've heard great reviews about the online banking mod but I find it intimidating for now. I am going to test it at my pace and see what it inspires me to achieve in the game.

Well, I thought I was the only one obsessed with Sims money! So glad to see I'm not I'm always looking at their accounting on NRaas SP when I rotate households, that's the first thing I check!
Oh yes I did remember reading Buzzler based his mod on EA's stock market! How can EA justify abandoning something like that in their own game??
LOL, YES to all the lovely TS2 money stuff! My town bank will be very happy :D
I included the Online Bank mod into my bank, well sort of - the computers are there, the sims have to go to the bank to open an online bank account to be able to use it at home. That online bank mod is awesome! It's very easy to use, there's not much to configure. Try it when you get a chance
Page 1 of 2