Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 10:15 PM
Default Metric vs. Imperial
If there's a subject about this already, let me appologize in advance. But there's no way of searching the forums, so I don't know if there is or not.

In my game, everything is set to be measured in the metric system. I don't know why, as I set my language as "English - US" and would assume they'd at least have a toggle where you can choose Metric or Imperial system, like they do the 12 vs. 24 hour clock. It seems minor, I know, but it actually really does make a difference. For example, my Sim just caught a fish that masses a little over 12 kg. I have no idea what that means. It could mean it's about 2 lbs or it could mean closer to 200 lbs. Yes, I know off the top of my head it's nothing that extreme, but it's been awhile since I was in school and I've completely lost touch over how the two compare. So I went to an online kg-lb converter, and found out that 12 kg = 26.4 lbs. Woah, that's a big fish! Especially because he caught it out of the pond in his backyard! One of his wishes is also to catch a 20 kg fish, which is 44 lbs! Now suddenly those numbers mean something.

So, is there something I've missed that allows me to change from the Metric system to the Imperial system ingame? Some toggle or cheatcode? Has anyone else had this problem, too?
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:15 PM
There's no switch to toggle SI back to ye olde imperial.

To be fair there are only a few places in the world that use that old measurement system now anyway, it just happens that the USA is one of them.
Test Subject
#3 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:41 PM
1 kilo is 2 lbs (and bits...). That's the easiest metric to imperial conversion existing, and the only one I know btw ...

After that I must admit that I also have absolutely no idea about what you may mean by telling that you're 6 feet tall, that your grand-mother lives 456 miles away from your home city or that you earn $1500 a day (no wait... the last one means you're f* rich I guess).

So I really can understand your trouble with our metric system, even though it's far better and logical but that's not the point of the discussion and i am know very losing myself in a neverending nonsensical sentence.

(This message was not written on drugs, only it's 12:40 am in France, so it makes almost 48 hours now I haven't been sleeping )
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:45 PM
I've always like XKCD's approach to this. http://xkcd.com/526/
Field Researcher
#5 Old 14th Jun 2009 at 11:49 PM
Not using the metric system would be unfair to all those people who are right...