Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#27501 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 12:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sunbee
Is it me/my old computer/my browser or is it the new downloads system that makes it very hard to see what a download has in it? Scrolling is weird, etc.

Before I gripe to support I want to make sure it's not a personal problem and then document the heck out of it.

You are not the only one who doesn't like it. I still find certain searches show 0 uploads even when it should show items.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Advertisement
Alchemist
#27502 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 4:31 AM
Same, for both issues, actually. I keep meaning to post in the feedback thread. I've a long list of complaints/suggestions for the download page. Basically, I feel like the changes are best just for the landing page. When you run a search, the categories should fall away. The recent uploads vs last updated and popular/picked or whatever categories are the ones I mean. If the categories were lots and housing vs mods vs buy vs build vs cas, then it might be useful to display different sections. As it is, though, I feel like I have to through two or three extra rounds/pages of stuff to actually find what I'm looking for. Not really sure how anyone could see the new system as beneficial for anything but browsing--on a computer, mind you. If you want to browse on mobile, that's a pita.

"Thinking of you, wherever you are. We pray for our sorrows to end, and hope that our hearts will blend." - Kingdom Hearts

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
aka Kelyns | she/her
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27503 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 10:47 AM
Hey everyone, if you post here most likely the mods/ admins won't notice it, so I would recommend to go ahead and start a thread in the Site Questions/Issues forum:
https://modthesims.info/f/24/
If you can post screenshots of the problems you have then it's usually easier for the admin to understand what the issue is. For example, this is a little issue I had and the screenshots I posted helped the site developer to replicate the issue and resolve it:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=657315
So if you notice 'scrolling is weird' perhaps show a few screenshots to illustrate that, and also specify what platform, browser etc you are on.

Otherwise, Discord is a good way to give feedback.
Scholar
#27504 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 2:24 PM
If I am using a clean neighborhood with only a few townies and I add a blank shopping district, will townies be generated for the shopping district? And if so, are they the Pleasantview townies?
Theorist
#27505 Old 5th Jul 2021 at 9:17 PM
If you create the new shopping district from a SC4 template (the button add a custom shopping district and then you get to choose the terrain) - no extra townies get added, I believe.

If you install a custom shopping district template, if the template has no townies as characters, no new townies will be added.
Mad Poster
#27506 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 2:35 PM
How can I alter a secret vacation hood?

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Mad Poster
#27507 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 2:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by topp
If you create the new shopping district from a SC4 template (the button add a custom shopping district and then you get to choose the terrain) - no extra townies get added, I believe.

If you install a custom shopping district template, if the template has no townies as characters, no new townies will be added.

I didn't think that would happen (no townies) unless you had replaced/disabled the stealth hood, or installed custom empty hoods.

Mad Poster
#27508 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 6:32 PM
Agree with Jo and Sunbee - getting used to the format, but it feels as if it takes a lot more time to get where you actually want to go
Mad Poster
#27509 Old 6th Jul 2021 at 9:56 PM
I would add to the Downloads comments...but when I said something I was told I was a jerk...OK that's just what I HEARD>

Alchemist
#27510 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 2:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
How can I alter a secret vacation hood?

Do you mean the hidden vacation lots? Bigfoot's place, the hidden pagoda, the shaman's hut?

You can enter those by typing their lot name into the cheat window: loadlot lotname

More info here: https://modthesims.info/t/showpost....643&postcount=1
(the post is about creating custom vacation hoods, but the instructions should also help if you want to change the EA lots)

My new downloads are on my Pillowfort
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27511 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 12:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
I would add to the Downloads comments...but when I said something I was told I was a jerk...OK that's just what I HEARD>

Who said that? I'll set Sim Sample on them!
Mad Poster
#27512 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 1:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Who said that? I'll set Sim Sample on them!

He is just going to flirt with them
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#27513 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 2:06 PM
What!! Sim Sample? Never!
Mad Poster
#27514 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 10:14 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Orphalesion on 25th Jun 2021
And see, I will first say that I'm a very literal-minded person and often have difficulties judging a person's tone. Even more so on the Internet. But I had the impression that you sometimes imply or state that people who aren't treating their Sims like you do are cruel because "Sims have feelings" and I honestly also had the impression that you believed that your Sims are just as real as actual people. And that caused me sometimes to get crabby and go on tangents where I point out how they are just programming.
I never meant to dismiss the element of imagination.
I am sorry if I misinterpreted you. I really am. I was truly worried that you and others were judging me because my stories tend to take dark turns. But one of the reasons I put darkness in my work, is so that it can be overcome.
I'm sorry for being so slow in replying. There's a lot I want to say, and real world issues are leaving me without the time I feel I need to write a proper reply.

I accept your apology, and offer mine in return for the hurt that I've caused you. There's no point in being nice to Sims and then hurting real people, and it's not the only time I've done that on this forum. I feel there's been a bit of ill feeling between you and me over the last few months, and I'm sure most of it is my fault. I hope we can make up and have a much better relationship from now on. If we were Sims I'd offer you a hug.

I think we're actually closer in our approach to Simming than I'd previously believed. There is actually some darkness in my game, but, like you, the point is to try to overcome it. I tend to keep darkness off-screen (partly because I do feel very uneasy at the idea of killing a Sim). Ginger and Gavin Newson went through hell before arriving in Veronaville. They did their utmost to shelter the younger children from it, and they still don't feel able to talk about their experiences. It has also made it hard for them to trust anyone outside their own family, though they are now tentatively starting to build friendships. It's generally a little easier to trust other teens than to trust adults, because the adult world outside Veronaville has treated them so badly. Unlike you, I have apologised to Ginger, and promised her that, as far as it lies in my power, things will get better. (Ginger, not one to be consoled by platitudes, bites her lip and says, "When?") And I have to say that, at the present time, her living circumstances are still pretty bleak. The old Tudor house that the Newsons live in, on the edge of town, in the shade of Veronaville's iconic aqueduct, has been accurately described as a 'picturesque hovel'.

Veronaville itself is just emerging from decades, maybe centuries, of being blighted by this feuding. While no Sims have died since I started to play, there are plenty of gaps in the Capp and Monty families, to suggest that many there have met with an untimely death. Where are Contessa, Cordelia and Caliban Capp, and Claudio and Olivia Monty? I don't know, but it seems likely that their deaths were related to the feud. Today however the old feud is passing into history. Occasionally it still flares up in a muted form between two of the older members of the families, but the younger Capps and Montys have no interest at all in maintaining it. The end of the old feud makes today a really exciting time in the life of the old town. For the first time in many years there is a real sense of hope for the future. Some historians believe that Veronaville enjoyed a golden age in the late 16th century, and many of the old buildings in the town date from that time and the following years, but I'm sure many of the current residents agree with me in believing that the town's best days still lie ahead. Veronaville today, despite its remaining problems, is a great and exciting place to live. And I think that most of it inhabitants of the town know it.

Sorry, I can get carried away in my enthusiasm for the transformation we're making in Veronaville. So much so that Andrew (who is much better at keeping is feet on the ground than I am) often says to me, "Calm down, calm down! It's Veronaville we're talking about -- not Shangri-la!"

Yes, I have to admit that a lot of what I know about my Sims and the places they live in, lies purely in my imagination with little or no basis the the coding of the game. But the game with its coding, augmented by many mods, is the catalyst that has enabled me (and my Sims) to bring the whole thing to fruition. And I have to say that I find playing Veronaville this way immensely enjoyable. So, many many thanks to Maxis, and all the modders who have made it possible.

@Orphalesion, I've found this post a bit difficult to write, as I feel there has been some ill feeling between us in the past, and much of the responsibility for that is mine. On reading your post, I realise that there is not really so much between us in our approach to Simming after all. As for Sims dying, or even being killed, I really have no objection at all when it's part of a proper story, whether that's a scripted story of the sort that I believe @simmer22 writes, or one (more like my own game) that simply emerges as the game is played. I don't think Agatha Christie was a serial killer because so many of her characters met untimely and unpleasant ends. I can get a bit more hot under the collar when players seem to enjoy killing Sims or kill a Sim because they hate him/her. But even then I do realise they're not real. And it certainly isn't worth hurting real people (as I have done in this forum) for the sake of protecting their Sims. I have to also say that there is probably an element of pride in me never letting a Sim die. I think it's already a bit of a distinction to have been playing for eight and a half years without ever seeing the Grim Reaper. Especially in the early days, when I was learning (amongst other things) how deadly kitchen fires can be for Sims, I think some guardian angel must have been keeping a watch over my Sims. Now that I've kept my game death-free for so long, I want to keep it that way. I really want to make it to at least ten years. If I can help it, I may never let a Sim die in my game. I can't keep everybody in my real life alive, but I may manage it for my Sims.

For people who really do enjoy killing pixels, there are lots of far more violent video games around than The Sims. A few years ago I remember watching my niece, then aged 13, playing Assassins' Creed. Every time she stabbed or garrotted another character (which was about every 20 seconds) she said, "Sorry!" I'm not really sure what to make of that. Just don't ask me to kill my Sims. Or ask me to play Assassins' Creed for that matter!

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#27515 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 11:27 PM
I have a child that seems to be stuck with a B+ grade that never improves. Is there some cheat object to just give her an A+?
Scholar
#27516 Old 7th Jul 2021 at 11:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by kestrellyn
I have a child that seems to be stuck with a B+ grade that never improves. Is there some cheat object to just give her an A+?

TwoJeffs College Adjuster will do that.
Mad Poster
#27517 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 12:27 AM
I had a teen (Ravi Bertino) who was stuck on a C+ grade despite dutifully doing his homework every night. His housemate (Jack Gill) wanted him to drop out of school (Simlogical Flexi-School) so they could go clubbing together all day. Ravi said he'd be happy to drop out of school, but he wanted to get an A+ grade first. After me making enquiries here, Jack bought him the Simlogical Homework Place and placed it on a one tile desk. Somebody here (I think it was SweetBaby160) said it was a bit cheaty, but Jack said, "So much the better!" Ravi sat down to work on Inge's homework book, and in a few hours had his A+ grade. So, maybe a little reluctantly, Ravi stopped going to school, and now he can join Jack in going to all-day nightclubs every day. I'm pretty sure it will work for your child too. There's a Homework Table that works in exactly the same way on the same page.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Top Secret Researcher
#27518 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 3:49 AM
Today I played Johnny Smith, Ophelia Nigmos and Ripp Grunt in La Fiesta Tech's Canyon Commons Dorms for their freshman year of Uni. They had no bills. I recently played The Nerdists in a dorm in LGU and they had bills. I tried to boolprop bills but the mailperson came only to say there were no billable things on the lot. I wanted them to get their own residential house on campus anyway and they had enough to move upon starting their sophomore year so they did and bills came again. I'm not sure if I should be worried or not. I think it's happened before but not sure what I did. Maybe I just moved them out and in again but I can't remember. Weird.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#27519 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:01 AM
I think bills are just so cheap at university that objects regularly become unbillable just through regular depreciation.
Top Secret Researcher
#27520 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:08 AM
I think bills are just so cheap at university that objects regularly become unbillable just through regular depreciation.

It's a fresh game. First time playing this iteration of the dorms...you'd think they'd have some bills.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#27521 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:37 AM
Were the dorms lived in before? I don't think the objects become undepreciated just because the sims who lived in the dorm graduated. Dorm bills are also divided by the number of Myne doors, so they're even cheaper than other campus bills.
Scholar
#27522 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:38 AM
Unless you have Cyjon's Bigger Bills or similar, it's normal for Sims in dorms not to have bills - although if they're former teen townies with only the $500 starter funds, for some reason they usually do get bills they can't pay! I can't remember what happens with pre-mades; it may be that they do get bills, which would explain the Nerdists getting them.
Top Secret Researcher
#27523 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien
Unless you have Cyjon's Bigger Bills or similar, it's normal for Sims in dorms not to have bills - although if they're former teen townies with only the $500 starter funds, for some reason they usually do get bills they can't pay! I can't remember what happens with pre-mades; it may be that they do get bills, which would explain the Nerdists getting them.

Who knows. It's not a big deal, at least I don't think it is , it's just...odd and makes me wonder why. If I get annoyed enough at lack of bills I can just take some funds away every so often myself I guess.

My Simblr
He/They
Top Secret Researcher
#27524 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:47 AM
Were the dorms lived in before? I don't think the objects become undepreciated just because the sims who lived in the dorm graduated. Dorm bills are also divided by the number of Myne doors, so they're even cheaper than other campus bills.

Sorry didn't see this one before. Nope. First Sims in the dorm. I initially added Johnny, who got the cut-scene with his father PT #9, then Ophelia, then Ripp. All within a game hour.

My Simblr
He/They
Mad Poster
#27525 Old 8th Jul 2021 at 4:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by BlueAlien

Bills are determined by the amount of billable stuff on the lot, and the amount of Myne doors, it has nothing to do with the history of the sim. A former teen townie who has been made into a playable YA or a premade YA is pretty much indistinguishable from a playable you've played from babyhood to YA-hood anyway, unless they used to be an NPC or you really want to dig through their memories.
Page 1101 of 1347