Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 23rd Oct 2021 at 8:43 PM Last edited by Mrmo : 6th Nov 2021 at 4:29 PM.
Default A question about placing curtins. (I think the lot might be borked!)
Hello.

I know that there are lots of builders out there and I also know that many builders do know all the tricks of placing objects with cheats and that is what this question is all about. But first a little background...

I was playing a lot in Oasis Springs and as I always play with my walls "cut away" I did not see this until just recently. There were a some windows missing! And it was not the small ones, it was the biggest available (see pic below, it's the window on the left). I don't know how they did get lost but the more I think about it the more possible it seems that it's been so for a very long time. I just happen to notice because I found a lot of curtains in the family catalog.

Now, I did place the windows and other types of curtains so now the issue is fixed but I could not place the curtains and I want to know why and how I should do if needed in the future. I have just started off playing around with move objects and while using this cheat I can also move objects up or down using ctrl+9 or 0. The curtains seemed to be adjusted in size to fit inside the frame of the window and that can be done with shift+[ or ] . But I can not make the curtains to "hit" the floor, it seems like there are a maximum low but I have seen other (pre made) lots there this curtains do hit the floor and don't understand how. So some tips or help is needed.

(The pic is from my other install where this house looks as it should)
Advertisement
dodgy builder
#2 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 12:03 AM
I haven't been bothering so much about it now, but i did have a mod some time ago that removed the "place on slot" feature, or what it's called. Otherwise than that I think TOOL might have some fixes you might be able to use. The thing is these days you can put windows whereever you want on a wall, and the curtains slots in place often on the wrong place on the window. When you want to put curtains another place than it's made for as well. I think it's TOOL they use. I've seen builders who are more preoccupied with tiny details and decorate all over the place, use a shelf of some kind and put the object on that where it has to go, and then move the object it's suppose to sit on back in place. Maybe someone else knows if I'm right, I would also like to find out how and check it out more closely. I'm more of a minimalist, but still putting the curtains on the right place in minimalist house could be very useful.

Another thing is I think it's still so you have to have moo on before placing a lot, if this is a lot you have used several times.
Field Researcher
#3 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 12:06 AM
I am also curious. I think it perhaps would help if you said the height of the wall; which window it is; where on the wall you are placing it; which curtain you want to use; and where you want it on the window. Pictures are always good.
Scholar
Original Poster
#4 Old 24th Oct 2021 at 1:52 PM
OK, let's see if I can explain that a little more. I do not know what this objects is called in English so I can not write the name here. The window I talked about is the one on the far left in my previous post. It might eventually be called "Mega Window Grand Deluxe" and the curtains might be the "Droopy drapes".

Here is another picture of how it's supposed to look.

The problem is that I can not get the curtains so far down. The room is of "standard" height. If you go to the bar in Oasis Springs (if you have not been redecorating it) you will find the same curtains there, only winder, covering the window frame. But they are still on the floor so it must be doable.
dodgy builder
#5 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 7:38 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Mrmo
OK, let's see if I can explain that a little more. I do not know what this objects is called in English so I can not write the name here. The window I talked about is the one on the far left in my previous post. It might eventually be called "Mega Window Grand Deluxe" and the curtains might be the "Droopy drapes".

Here is another picture of how it's supposed to look.

The problem is that I can not get the curtains so far down. The room is of "standard" height. If you go to the bar in Oasis Springs (if you have not been redecorating it) you will find the same curtains there, only winder, covering the window frame. But they are still on the floor so it must be doable.

I might have been thinking to complicated. Have you tried holding down alt when you place window and curtain?
Field Researcher
#6 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 10:20 AM
I tested with a middle size wall, the window Mega Window Grand Deluxe, and the curtain Droopy Drapes. Without moo on, the curtains have two slot points, one of them is inside the window, with the floor ends of the 'fabric' touching the ground, like in the second picture. To switch between them I just moved the curtains up and down and around a little. Sometimes the game doesn't find all the slots, when that happens I just move the camera perspective a little, to counter that.
If the curtains doesn't slot into place it might be because moo is activated. Even if cheats are disabled, they are often still on; a reload fixes that. So you can also try to save, exit completely, load the game again and try to place the curtains anew.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 25th Oct 2021 at 11:19 AM
OK, I will try to play around with it some more. I have not been spending so much time redecorating so I have not learned all the trix yet. But I will give it a try next time I play (this weekend).
Scholar
Original Poster
#8 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 4:05 PM
So I did some tests. And I did them first thing after opening up the world and the lot.

First I did try holding down Alt as Volvenom suggested. But that did not do anything. Moving around the camera did no difference. The problem is that I can not find a way to move the curtains down like andes suggested. I can only move them up. In order to make the curtains smaller I must have move objects on. Now they were small enough to fit the window but once again Alt did not do anything. This is a lot that was "shipped" with the game, maybe they did use some cheats wile building it and that's why it does not work now...
Field Researcher
#9 Old 31st Oct 2021 at 5:08 PM
I loaded the Granada Place in Oasis Spring, since it looks like it could be that lot you mean, and tried to move the curtains around. I tried both in live mode>build mode; and to go into build mode from map view, both when the lot was inhabited and not, to see if there was any difference, but I could place the curtain inside the windows, outside and above the window by moving the mouse back and forth, while having the curtain 'grabbed'.

I'm thinking maybe something happened when the window disappeared, and that it is merely invisible, but still there and that's why the curtains won't place. When you hover over the windows with the curtain, trying to place it - is there red slot marks? This is how it looks for me, choosing three different ways of placing the curtains (green slots):

Edit: I did not change the size of the curtains.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 6:11 AM
It does look the same for me with the green slot marks. But I can try some more. I do not know why the windows did dissappear in the first place, if it was me or the game who did a misstake but as everything is possible it might be that something is there. I should also try with new cirtains, not the one from the family inventory.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 1st Nov 2021 at 11:52 AM
Yes, and you should buy a new window as well and try with that. You can also try to delete the whole wall, at that place, with the hammer tool; and then draw new walls again, using the wall tool. All things attached to it will disappear, so look both inside, outside and on the floor above when doing it, so that anything you want to keep doesn't turn yellow when hovering over the wall with the hammer tool.

I found a couple of different bug reports for curtains, some tagged by players as 'fixed'. I don't know if any of them fits, but I'll post them here. One tip I read there was to place the curtain first, and then the window. Also to make a sim take a photo of the room using their mobile camera, to see if any 'phantom' curtains show up. (Happy Halloween! hehe)

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...g/td-p/10517318

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...f/td-p/10405754

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...f/td-p/10405754

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...ed/td-p/6428281

https://answers.ea.com/t5/Bug-Repor...d/td-p/10506966
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 4:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andes
You can also try to delete the whole wall, at that place, with the hammer tool; and then draw new walls again, using the wall tool.

Yes, that was my next option. Sadly enough, it did not work. I had the same problem with a rebuild wall. As you can see in the first pic I even did build a new wall outside and placed the same window. But nope, the curtain did not place correctly. Whatever I did try did not work. So I backed all of my changes and did exit to Manage Worlds without saving. But before I gave up I jumped into the neighbor lot (the Caliente's). In the back of their house is a few of the same windows. And the curtain did place like a champion! No cheats, no pressing any keys, no nothing. Bam, there the curtain was, correctly placed. So I see just one possible explanation for this. The other lot is borked! I don't know when and why it did happen but it must be it.

Field Researcher
#13 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 4:51 PM
That is very curious! I think the possiblity of the lot being off is very likely, I've noticed issues with several premade lots.

I think your curtain looks big is the first picture in your last post though, and I can't get it that big. When I press the key to enlarge that curtain I get the size seen in my picture. I don't know how you got the curtain to be just a little bit larger than the size in build/buy, and I don't think we have the same keyboard layout (mine's not english) anyway. I've grabbed the curtains from Build/Buy mode without using any key/cheats/changes, and the size they then come in, snapped to the window in both Granada Place and Sultry Springside (The Calientes).

I tried to raise the fondation in Granada Place as well, since it looks a little higher in your picture than the height it has in a new save; but the curtains placed anyway.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#14 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 5:08 PM
I don't know where you are from andes but I'm from Sweden and do have an other keyboard setting then the English. The size of the curtain in my first pic is the "default" size and I can not get them smaller. But as you can see in my 2:nd pic they did "shrink" into place. When I enlarge the "standard" size once I do get the size shown in your pic.
Field Researcher
#15 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 5:43 PM
Hej! I use keys: Å to enlarge and ´ to minimize.

I've never seen objects shrink when grabbed from build/buy mode onto a lot. I bought new Droopy Drapes, both by copying the ones already in the house, and by searching through Buy mode for them; but the line of the curtain is always inside the window frame, as seen in the picture. (This is in the folder made just for this, so new and vanilla/mod- and cc free). Maybe I don't understand what shrinking means in this circumstance.

If you want you could upload your problematic build (to the gallery for instance) and I could try to play around with it.
Screenshots
Scholar
Original Poster
#16 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 7:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by andes
Hej! I use keys: Å to enlarge and ´ to minimize.

Same as me then. Nice to see someone speaking my own language.

When I wrote "shrink" I meant that the curtains do place inside the window frame like that. They are a little bigger when grabbing them in buy mode. Maybe this was addressed in a later patch but I do not patch and do play my game completely offline. This because patches are known to break mods and other stuff. And I play with modded body types... Sorry about that.
Field Researcher
#17 Old 6th Nov 2021 at 7:58 PM
Yes, it is!

Maybe that can be part of the explanation then. I don't know which patch, if any, changed such a thing, I've only played the game for about a year or two, and I always patch eventually (but don't load my main save until any game breaking bugs are reported as fixed). I'm on 1.80.69.1030 now. I'm afraid that means I cannot give anymore tips. But since it doesn't effect all lots, perhaps a bulldoze of the Granada Place (after saving it to library), and then replacing it with the copy could do something.
Scholar
Original Poster
#18 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 5:12 AM
Yes, maybe it would work. Oh well, even if the problem is not solved I did get a lot of help in this thread and I'm happy for that.
Field Researcher
#19 Old 8th Nov 2021 at 7:41 AM
It was nice talking to you.