Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

DSS - A more realistic romance system (and more)

by CtfG Posted 16th May 2008 at 8:19 AM - Updated 18th May 2008 at 11:54 AM by CtfG

125 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 116 Feedback Posts, 8 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 6
Test Subject
#51 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 1:58 AM
Does this allow in-family pregnancy & such? A Sims-loving friend loves to build big dynastic interbred families like from the old days & when she updated InSim or InTeen, it no longer allowed her to have Teen-Elder interactions (apparently a previous version did).
Test Subject
#52 Old 8th Jun 2008 at 8:15 AM
I just downloaded this I will now go play. After I'm done i will report all that I see.
Test Subject
#53 Old 9th Jun 2008 at 4:14 PM
If you can tell me how to get the Attach Files tab to work. I'll send you the Exception Logs. All I get is a quick flash of a window that doesn't let me do anything.

I waited to work with DSS again until I was able to DL the FT Patch, although I'm not sure why I bothered (87 Mb of nothing that helped the problems I'm having with it).

I'm was sending you a set of exception logs that I have collected after three days of running DSS. I orignally ran it with the DSS Spy modules and after accumulating several errors, removed those modules. Although the Spy modules had no effect, I am currently running with only the DSS Main and OFB Addon modules.

The exceptions are basically showing what I'll call relationship transition errors. All involve teens where the relationship would move from "normal" to "crush". They are divided into commercial and residential lot activity. The commercial lot errors were continuous and would not allow any "romantic" activity between TM-TF individuals of the same level of sentiment (i.e., 70/40-70/40). The residential errors occured when the active Sim clicked on the recipient. In these instances, the action itself was allowed to continue. I also threw in one hacked object (TM-AF), but I don't think it made a difference in re: the error.

I was also attaching a list of hacks in play and some objects which may effect game play. I'm sorry I don't know enough about reading the logs to be of more assistance, although I hope this small contribution may be of some assistance. Happy hunting.
Mad Poster
#54 Old 11th Jun 2008 at 1:58 AM
I think I'm going to try this out right now. But to be honest, because of the conflicts I don't know if I'll keep it. I had Inteen, and those hacks from MATY and twojeffs. I'm not sure yet if this is worth deleting those. But I've removed them from my game so I can use this without, hopefully, any problems. I was reading earlier comments about you possibly discontinuing this project because of all the conflicts with other hacks it comes with. I don't encourage you to do this because you have the right idea. I like realism in my game, too. When do you think part 3 might be done?
Thanks for this by the way, it's an interesting project. I hope you take it further.
Lab Assistant
#55 Old 13th Jun 2008 at 6:38 AM
The only question I have about this project is are romantic (up to & including try for baby) autonomous?

Living high contrast
Field Researcher
#56 Old 15th Jun 2008 at 7:10 AM
I had one slight issue with this but I think I know what the problem was. I used the Sims2HCDU and found that a nudist hack conflicts with this. Specifically CBoy_Nudist. I clicked on my pregnant sim while she and her male friend were eating and she immediately appears standing up beside the table. Though it's not a major issue, and you probably did infer that most mods/hacks will conflict with this, I tested it anyway because I like the manual option of choosing a sim getting naked/dressed. It seems to be the only drama I've had worth mentioning and again am pretty sure that's what it was. It only hapens though when the sim is pregnant. (Coincidentally as their scores were too low and I had no options I used the Simful Shower by Hunterx I think over @ Sexysims and had my sims concieve unnaturally - a cheat yes but I so badly wanted babies!) The hack detection unit didn't pick up the shower but it did pick up the nudist package, that and DSS were it's only results.

Oh and I also noticed now that when my sims sit down to eat they don't have the interractions they used to have before installing DSS to 'toast' and 'blow kiss' etc. Is this because my attraction score is not yet high enough? (I think you said somewhere around 90 or so and my sims currently sit at an average mutual 63 or so). After 2 sim weeks is it possible some sims will never be attracted to one another, and if this is so, is my option to use that object in game to alter their LTW/aspirations etc or to go back and recreate and start all over again? Just curious...

All in all I just thought it was worth mentioning. Not a big deal at all. So far am enjoying this, it HAS made it very challenging and am repeatedy struggling trying to get sims attractions scores high enough to get them to marry. It's WAY harder than sims default and for that I love it. Ideally I'd love to see more chaos and general bad luck for my sims who after 2 sims weeks have only had one sim get sick for a day and that was really the worst thing that happened despite the fact I moved them into a derelict slum with rotten food everywhere, no car, and a yard choked with weeds just to keep the environment score low to start. Hmm. maybe I'm just addicted to the melodramatic haha That's why I can't wait for part 3, then I'll be over the moon!

Thanks again and really appreciate your hard work with this. Fantastic job so far.
Lab Assistant
#57 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 3:36 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Faerieimp
Tired, so I'm not sure how much sense I will make. I would be interested in some of these fuctions, but I share the game with my sister who may not. Is there a way to isolate them to specific neighborhoods?
Also, we generally pick spouses based on our own weird criteria rather than actual chemistry, but I like the idea of making things harder for the romance sims (though we only have a few) and protecting the family sims (there have been a couple of cases where sims "accidentally" flirted due to a player not knowing what she was doing.
The idea of stuff breaking and food in the fridge going bad is interesting. I don't much care for the baby dying part, but I am curious, if a baby dies does the social worker come for the rest of the kids?
The idea of teens marrying is interesting to me along with all that goes with it, though I do agree with CatOfEvilGenius that I would rather such a function be user directed, so as such things don't happen on accident. (Yes, I know that's that exactly what CatOfEvilGenuis said).
I will check back in, because I am interested, just not sure how much I am interested in yet.

You can make a different computer account for you and one for your sister. The game is still installed only once on a moderator account, but requires the my documents/EA games/downloads files from the person who ran the game, in other words, this would allow you to share the game but still have different downloads.
Test Subject
#58 Old 25th Jun 2008 at 8:40 PM Last edited by erinsharp86 : 25th Jun 2008 at 8:46 PM.
hey thanks for the mod its a fantastic idea, the romance aspect works beautifully. Sims interact much more realistically, and they dont flirt with every dog faced townie that walks by even though theyre in love and attracted to their wife who is the mother of their six kids lol. i really like the way it affects flirting - love etc... finally they can have realistic friend relationships - two best friends one guy one girl, who would never cross that line, or the guy would cuz hes romance but shes family so she doesnt swing that way. also having personality and horoscopes count for something makes waaaay more sense and i finally started seeing the attraction reflect what i planned in cas i love that romance sims arent as picky as others... wish they could get down without love happening first tho, i mean its kinda ridiculous to have every romance sim has to go all the way to love before he moves on because his aspiration is have woohoo with a million different people. Makes it hard to leave the house for fear of ex-loves. no wait, thats kinda realistic.

i did run into some problems tho:
(i removed all my other hacks to test this so inluess i missed one this should be bugs specific to dss)

biggest one was that my sims lost the ability to try for baby - even when their attraction level was very high. i guess it has to be maxed or something. either way it really interferred with game play for me since a lot of my sims have family aspirations. i feel like marriage and try for baby could be lower on the attraction scale due to other factors: a crazed family sims need for a baby for one, and of course marriage for money or security. (as a side note after i removed dss this issue remained, and most of my sims are unable to have babies which is totally wierd, dunno if things got corrupted or what... but it dont matta cuz i got inteen anyway lol)

there was also a bug where sims could multi task - if they were sitting and i tried to make them interact both sims would jump from their seats - this didnt apply to children, but all other ages were affected. (when eating, watching tv, in a hot tub, but not in a bed, hammock or photobooth) this was solved immediatly when i removed dss.

also the hammock bypassed the chemestry need, and sims could 'play' on it and fall instantly in love despite dss as normal.

i think that was it, i ended up removing the package because of the jumping and no baby issue, but the concept is sound and the interactions work perfectly. little fine tuning and ill install it again.

oh yeah i have all the expansion packs btw.

thanks for all your hard work hop you get a new version up and running soon!
Test Subject
#59 Old 3rd Jul 2008 at 4:59 PM
Hello to all and sorry my bad English, I wanted to ask whether it was possible to install DSS having INSIMENATOR, thank you very much
Theorist
#60 Old 6th Jul 2008 at 7:07 PM
I'm bummed that you need Freetime for this or I probably would have given it a go!! I like the sound of items other than electrical ones breaking, and the accidents on the way to and from school/work, and the random deaths and attacks from mean sims rather than the romance part. I've always wanted more random deaths in my game but I didn't want to have to choose who to kill because I'd always choose a non-important sim that I didn't care about/didn't bring in any money for the family rather than the breadwinner!

"Your life was a liner I voyaged in."
Test Subject
#61 Old 9th Jul 2008 at 12:34 PM Last edited by Lazlo_71 : 10th Jul 2008 at 2:37 PM.
First of all let me say that I LOOVE the ideas behind DSS and I really hope that it keeps on evolving.

That said, I have a couple of problems...

I am running all expansion packs and have by now removed all hacks that could inflict on DSS. The social interactions and relation decay seems to work fine and so does the "SimRefresher". I also got the DSS-Spy, but I can't find the "Randomize Me" option when I start up a new family from CAS. Secondly I can not figure out how to turn on/off the "Teen-woohoo" feature. How is it done???

I hope one of you out there can help me out.

And by the way... As for the testing. The only fault I have found so far has been mentioned a couple of times. When sims is multitasking ex. at the diningtable, they jump up and stand next to the table.
Test Subject
#62 Old 23rd Jul 2008 at 1:14 PM
hi,um,for some odd reason since i downloaded this my married/in love cant do anything.they cant kiss,flirt,propose or woohoo.it is really bugging me,so how can i uninstall DSS?????!!!!!
Test Subject
#63 Old 31st Jul 2008 at 8:38 PM
So, will we be able to pick which functions? I don't really like the idea of harder romance between sims, but I want the teen/adult relationships and the teen wooho options. Will those be avalable seperately in the future. That's the only thing I want.
Test Subject
#64 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 3:32 AM
this is very interesting work!
i've had inteen for a while now
the only problems that i have are;

-no teen belly mesh
-no clock to have a baby sooner

so yea, if theres anyway that things of the sort could work it would probably be very appreciated by a lot of people

epsecialy me
Field Researcher
#65 Old 8th Aug 2008 at 6:00 PM Last edited by Mimi52861 : 10th Aug 2008 at 11:54 AM.
Vironin/CtfG hasn't posted in quite some time. I think he either has been REALLY busy or has just abandoned this project. He's not responding to any questions/issues in this thread and that's a shame. He had such great ideas & I don't know if real life has been keeping him too busy or he just gave up on this.

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Field Researcher
#66 Old 9th Aug 2008 at 9:47 PM
Hi, I enjoy your mod. Avid ACR user, XLPT, some Hunter, DJS, Simbiology, Maylin, Numenors, chris Hatch, many of the top hackers. When first put your mod in game put in existing neighborhood. Thought I'd be your darkside (what if) tester. Had no problems. Have over16000 in costume content inc. mods. Cut some of my mods out when I experienced what your mod did or added. Saw that some mods were obsolete. I love the tinge of fear your mod inspires. Will my kid's come home okay? etc. Also, notice my kids hid their homework. Had to use a cheat to get my kids to 1) find where they hid it and 2) to sit down and do it. Even well satiated they would start then blow it off. One child hid her homework on her person. when I hit the do homework cheat she wiped it out of her pocket. LOL. Thunderstorms scare the hell out of me. Me sims like to go out side or won't come in (the beach dweller). On the sleep issue. My kids do not get a goodnight sleep. I understand if they sleep fitfully through a storm and even (wakeup due to nightmares - seen in normal maxis game). But by 8 am the are only at 1/2 to 1/4. (because of this kids only attend "school on wed" - XLPT) ( A good night sleep should fill them by 7am don't you think? Also, would like to see them spring from the bed, during big storms during the night and run to & waking parent. depleting some comfort. Parent could shoo them to bed and auto tuck in triggering aout sleep/+comfort for child. Just an ideal.
Homebound with lots of time on my hand so this game and you new mod is a scary pleasure. Let me know how I can help.
Also, these are some toher complications that would be cool to see.
1) Family members droping in and making self at home. College students, on weekend, Cousin and Grandparents at night. Significant others. Basically a little box apears and say were here and they walk in. Maybe a hide menu. for the playable family so if you didnt want to be bothered they'd walk in an see your not there and leave...or not
2) Also, maybe a chance a family member in another household will drop his kid/s off for you to watch cause they work nights or weekends and the sitter flaked.
3) Kids get dropped of temp. do to spouce death or cheating 3 days, vacation (infant). Or even permanatly parent killed on way to work or confiscated by social services. Option to take kids in or call worker after 3 days. Each child coming with a cheap bed in inventory, gameboy and teddy (first time, fosterchildren in our county are given a backpack, inside is a blanket, gameboy for kids and cd player teens, and a few other comfort items since many are taken immediatly from the home). and a daily $75.00 cash aid.
If you can't tell I play large families, many multi-generational families, and woukld like them to have realistic relations. Teaching myself Sim Pe and wanting more family interactions.
Ps. the weirdest most awesomest thing started happening the second human day I used your mod. Between 5-6 am and 6-7 pm The sky goes dark and red. I thought a disaster was about to happen waited for fire to drop from sky rushed sims inside. First time happened was evening. Then I realized it was sunset.!! The nex5t mornig it happened again. Sunrise. It is so beautiful. Is that part of your program? My cousin who has played you mod longer doesn't have it.
Also, notice during the storms when electricit goes out, my candles stay lit. Too awesome. Many on my houses on the island are lit by gas laterns and candles. If this is not you doing and a maxis bug then you might want to think about it.
Big thanks again
Test Subject
#67 Old 14th Aug 2008 at 1:21 AM
LOVE IT! But can't download it because I can't download rar I can only download zip

Everything in this room is edible,in fact even I am edible,but that my dear chld is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies.
Test Subject
#68 Old 15th Aug 2008 at 8:33 PM
I would downlaod it if it wasn't rar

Everything in this room is edible,in fact even I am edible,but that my dear chld is called cannibalism and is frowned upon in most societies.
Field Researcher
#69 Old 16th Aug 2008 at 6:44 AM
Velvet Sky rox!, if you use WinZIP you CAN download & unzip rar files. The latest WinZIP will also unzip RAR, as I have it & it works just fine for me. (I do have the paid version of WinZip, but I believe it works for the free trial version as well). Just thought you might like to know, rar files can be opened by other zip/unzip programs BESIDES WinRAR.

Not having a sig IS my sig. Oh wait, this is a sig, isn't it? Nevermind...
Test Subject
#70 Old 23rd Aug 2008 at 12:19 PM
Hey, I don't know if maybe this was already in here and I missed it, but I was reading the posts when I thought of a really good concept, maybe you could put in premature babies. Like, when ever a baby is conceived there is a random amount of time decided that is close to but not exactly 3 days.
Test Subject
#71 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 3:27 AM
Is this compatible with Apartment Life?
Test Subject
#72 Old 1st Sep 2008 at 2:59 PM
While DSS is great, there are many other things that need to be addressed in order to make the game more realistic. For example, while Maxis included the drinking habit, there is no mention of other habits, "lurking" in the life of any teenager, like drugs and smoking. Keeping with Maxis "sermon" attitude, it should be possible to include them together with an appropriate "rewards" system, mostly negative in this case, with worsening economy, health, relations et c. That of course, would necessitate the inclusion of shady NPCs at downtown street corners selling stuff or whoring and of course: cops patrolling plus the occasional arrest with its own ramifications to the sims involved, but on the other hand it might go together with some of the crime related careers. Can you imagine a crime lord without his or her cigar? Or a vamp without her cigarette holder? There are "smoke" generators in the game in cooking, so it could be very realistic. Difficult too, but not impossible. Well, think about it! I love your work!
Field Researcher
#73 Old 11th Sep 2008 at 3:11 AM
This is NOT compatible with AL as AL includes new romantic interations for Teens and Adults. I suggest waiting for the Inteen update as it includes a lot of the same things the CSS does.

Playing since 2004.
“Marsh's Sim Shit” —Sims, challenges/legacies, stories, lots, and edits (updated March 2020)
Test Subject
#74 Old 21st Sep 2008 at 4:01 AM
I think this sounds really cool, although I don't like the sound of part 1, but part 2 and 3 are things that I'd like to download, so I think I'll download it when they've been separated
Scholar
#75 Old 23rd Sep 2008 at 1:34 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Ravynlee
Am glad you didn't abandon this project - I actually removed almost all of the other hacks (all the ones I thought might clash with DSS) just to test this and so far all's working well. The only real glitches I have are with Maxis-made objects, not DSS related (the hammocks freeze my game, weird) BUT this isn't DSS related so far as I know. I love DSS, I love the challenge of it, and I don't want 10,000 hacks if I can get one to do what I want - so far so good. I got rid of InSim (as much as I loved it) to use this, and I haven't looked back - so a big thanks from me!

I feel the same way! I, too, didn't think I could manage w/o InSim, but since I've taken it out, the game is a great deal more interesting to play.Thanks!

"What we say is good for nothing, if we say nothing for good.".
Page 3 of 6