Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

LotAdjuster 3.6 (Updated May 23, 2013)

by Mootilda Posted 3rd Jan 2010 at 1:07 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 3:09 PM by Nysha

382 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 328 Feedback Posts, 53 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 3 of 16
Site Helper
Original Poster
#51 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 3:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by aelflaed
Mootilda, I've been messing with a lot to make the road pass through the middle of the lot. I noticed expanding 'over the road' was only available in increments of ten. I was later able to expand/contract the lot to reduce the space across the road (currently seven tiles).

Is there a reason the initial expansion needs to be in tens?
Yes. We want to leave the road in its current location and the neighborhood can only place lots in increments of 10. When you subsequently shift the lot by 7 tiles, the road will no longer line up with the neighborhood road.

Does that make sense, or should I try to explain in more detail?
#52 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 4:28 PM
It sounds to me like a bug that aelflaed was able to adjust an over-the-road lot in lot-tile-increments in that direction, for the reasons that you stated. Allowing over-the-road lots to adjust in that direction in neighborhood-tile-increments should be allowed, however, as well as lot-tile-increments in the other direction.

Question/idea, perhaps better discussed in the R&D thread, but what happens if you create an over-the-road lot with roads in BOTH directions, OVER THE ROAD in both directions?

This Space Intentionally Left Blank
Site Helper
Original Poster
#53 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 7:21 PM
Quote: Originally posted by GeneralOperationsDirector
It sounds to me like a bug that aelflaed was able to adjust an over-the-road lot in lot-tile-increments in that direction, for the reasons that you stated.
I don't consider it a bug... if people really want to expand in odd increments, that's fine. I put in the restrictions for the "over the road" option to keep inexperienced people from doing something without understanding the consequences.

However, I absolutely detest programs which try too hard to protect me from myself (they are invariably less intelligent than I am), so I've tried to make the LA flexible rather than restrictive.

Allowing over-the-road lots to adjust in that direction in neighborhood-tile-increments should be allowed, however, as well as lot-tile-increments in the other direction.
The reason that the "over the road" option doesn't allow expansion on any other side is because you will not be able to generate the road for the expanded terrain by picking up the lot and placing it down again in the neighborhood view; you would lose the "over the road" feature if you did that.

If you want to expand a lot in all directions, but keep the existing road, then just expand in every direction except the front, run the game to generate the new road bits, then run LA and expand "over the road".

Question/idea, perhaps better discussed in the R&D thread, but what happens if you create an over-the-road lot with roads in BOTH directions, OVER THE ROAD in both directions?
The LotAdjuster doesn't have the option to expand "over the road" in any direction other than the front of the lot.

It should be possible to do this by expanding the lot in the correct direction, keeping the portals in the same location, and possibly moving the lot to the correct location using the LA. If I remember correctly, this is basically what the current "over the road" option does; the only difference is that the LA calculates the correct movement for you and tries to prevent problems by disabling some options. Of course, if the road continues in either direction, you'll have problems because the game won't be able to generate the correct road pieces.
#54 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 7:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Mootilda
I don't consider it a bug... if people really want to expand in odd increments, that's fine. I put in the restrictions for the "over the road" option to keep inexperienced people from doing something without understanding the consequences.

However, I absolutely detest programs which try too hard to protect me from myself (they are invariably less intelligent than I am), so I've tried to make the LA flexible rather than restrictive.
In that case, the program should display a red warning that the road will not line up "with current settings".

[..stuff that really doesn`t need quoting..]

...so I guess that this means that we still can`t create a lot that occupies all four sides of an intersection...

Hmmm, perhaps a combination of Lot Adjuster and Lot Merger might be able to pull off the trick...?

As for the game beinng unable to generate the correct road pieces, I`m playing one Mountianside Manor, currently occupied by two Sasquatch and a Servo, where I had to manually generate the road pieces, as I have been entirely unable to place the lot to get the game to regenerate them, most likely due to severe steepness of the terrain in both the lot and the neighborhood there. The lot is so steep that the camera has severe issues tracking the Sims from MOST angles! The "upstairs" level at the front of the lot is several stories below the ground floor at the back of the lot. One of these days, it`d be nice if someone finally figured out how to regenerate roads outside the game, for these odd cases where we cannot convince the game to do it. Mmmm?

Site Helper
Original Poster
#55 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 9:12 PM
In that case, the program should display a red warning that the road will not line up "with current settings".
There is no "over the road" setting inside of the lot itself, so it would be very difficult for the LotAdjuster to detect that you are trying to adjust such a lot and print a special warning.
#56 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 9:19 PM
Oh. ::blush::

Alchemist
#57 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 9:43 PM
Thanks, Mootilda, that explains it. Also explains why the road doesn't match anymore in hood view.

I had guessed the reason, but wasn't sure how much it mattered. If the problem is just visual, rather than buggy, I can chooose to ignore it or fix it. (And I can see why it's set up that way.)
Site Helper
Original Poster
#58 Old 27th Jan 2010 at 9:43 PM
It's just visual; shouldn't cause any problems.
Test Subject
#59 Old 28th Jan 2010 at 2:03 PM
I've been waiting for "this mod" sence I've started playing the orgional sims. I often find myself close to finshing and relize the house is too far to the left or there's no room for a driveway.

much thanks.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#60 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 2:34 AM Last edited by Mootilda : 31st Jan 2010 at 4:20 PM.
Default Version 3.2 Released
New version 3.2 now available. Resolves an error, "can't intersect other objects", which could occur even when there is no such object.

This bug has existed in all previous versions of the LotExpander and LotAdjuster. The new version of the LotAdjuster will avoid creating this problem, but will not fix any existing problems created by running previous versions of LE or LA.

If you currently have this problem on your lot, it can be fixed by using SimPE to delete the VERT (vertex layer) record within your lot package. The record will regenerate, but will only contain information for new objects, or existing objects which are subsequently moved.

Because of this, I would recommend that you backup before editing your lot package in SimPE and that you test thoroughly before sharing such a lot.

[Update:]

I have thought of one other way to resolve this problem:

If you remember how you adjusted the lot, you can undo the adjustment (ie, expand where you shrank and vice-versa) using a previous version (such as LA 2.7 or LA 3.1), then redo the adjustment with LA 3.2.
Alchemist
#61 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 11:00 AM
How would we know if a lot suffered from this? Is it one of the errors LA would show when running?
Site Helper
Original Poster
#62 Old 31st Jan 2010 at 4:04 PM Last edited by Mootilda : 1st Feb 2010 at 7:31 PM.
No. There's only one way to find this error: try to build a wall or fence in an area, or to try to place an object, and get the error message "Can't intersect other objects", even though there is no other object in that area.

Technical discussion moved to:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...293#post3041293
Alchemist
#63 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 10:23 AM
I think I follow.

I may well have seen such an error myself, without thinking it was related to the LA. I certainly build either completely or almost not at all before adjusting a lot. I've had areas that won't build that I think should, but I can't swear now whether there was something there or not in the end.

I had it when building the mini-memorial park just recently, in fact, although I decided that was just a vagary of the arched fence I was using - the last one in the catalogue. It does seem to behave differently to other fences in a few ways.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#64 Old 1st Feb 2010 at 5:52 PM
Since this affects multiple download threads (LotExpander, LotAdjuster 2.x, LotAdjuster 3.x), I'd appreciate it if we could move this discussion to the research thread. I'll attach a link as soon as I've posted.

For anyone who wants more information about this bug, please look here:
http://www.modthesims.info/showthre...293#post3041293
Lab Assistant
#65 Old 11th Feb 2010 at 2:44 PM
This is just the coolest! Thank you so much Mootilda. The best lot adjuster ever.
Alchemist
#66 Old 4th Apr 2010 at 11:29 PM
Just wanted to note that being able to shrink lots in smaller incremements is making things a lot easier when building.

I can now start with a lot only one size larger along the road than I eventually want, instead of one size larger on all sides. (makes finding construction space easier). For some reason, this advantage hadn't occurred to me until last week!
Field Researcher
#67 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 3:58 AM
Are we suppose to be able to make lots smaller? Because i accidentally made it bigger on the wrong side and i can't figure how to make that side smaller.
Site Helper
Original Poster
#68 Old 18th Apr 2010 at 4:25 PM
Yes, you can shrink a lot. To make things smaller, click on the "Advanced" button, then check "Enable shrinking". Now, you should be able to enter negative numbers to change the size of the lot.

You should be aware that there are additional requirements when shrinking a lot. Ensure that there is nothing on the area of the lot which will be shrunken, including objects, walls, roofs, swimming pools, or your sims. You should also avoid having things on the tile which will become the outer tile of the lot after shrinking; the exceptions are roofs, floor tiles, and walls which are perpendicular to the new lot edge.

Be sure to backup before shrinking, in case you are not happy with the result.
#69 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 4:45 PM
Mootilda, are you aware of any issues that would make it impossible to place an expanded dormatory on a perfectly flat lot in a perfectly flat neighborhood area back into the same location when it snaps into place perfectly fine in other locations in the neighborhood? I`ve already ruled out neighborhood decorations, and this lot was expanded with 3.2. I expanded one neighborhood tile each left and right, adding a road on the left, and the neighbohood road configuration does match the new lot road configuration. The really steep lot I mentioned earlier in this thread, expanded with an earlier version, also expanded left and right with a road added on the left, also refused to be placed where it came from. Still, I`m pretty sure that I have successfully regenerated roads on similarly-expanded lots before. ::shrug::

Site Helper
Original Poster
#70 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 5:18 PM
There is an intermittent issue with placement in the same location that we have been unable to find. Try placing the lot somewhere else in the neighborhood, then moving it back to the correct location.
#71 Old 19th Apr 2010 at 5:57 PM
Hokay, can try that with the dormatory, but cannot with the Mountainside Manor, as *that* lot has no other place where I could even *try* to place it, nevermind what it would do to the neighborhood if I succeeded. Thanks.

Field Researcher
#72 Old 21st Apr 2010 at 8:47 PM
I just wanted to say thank you. This program is wonderful for a person like me who downloads custom lots and likes to add on a lot of things. Thank you.
Test Subject
#73 Old 2nd May 2010 at 1:25 AM
Have you tried to do a Sims 3 version of this mod? There's a few lots I'd like to enlarge.
Test Subject
#74 Old 2nd May 2010 at 2:37 AM
Great program!

I haven't found/seen anyone yet who get's this error:
http://i43.tinypic.com/2wob2hf.png

I'm totally clueless, this has happened on all the versions of 'LotAdjuster' I've downloaded. Just wondering if it's just me being stupid or my computer?

c: Cheers
Site Helper
Original Poster
#75 Old 2nd May 2010 at 4:05 PM
The LotAdjuster couldn't load the SimPE DLLs that it requires to do its job. There are two common things that might cause this problem:

1) .NET isn't correctly installed. The LotAdjuster relies on .NET to find and load the DLLs.

2) You haven't extracted all of the files from the zip file into a new folder on your hard drive. The LotAdjuster cannot access the DLLs if they are still inside of a zip file.
Page 3 of 16