Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 6:29 AM
Default Making UV Maps for object
I am using milkshape3d and UVmapper Classic. I have a model with two separate parts, and I want to map them onto two separate UV maps. Can I do this, and how? Thanks.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 9:37 AM
Can you do it? - yes, but to answer your question properly, we may need a little more detail to understand exactly what you want to do

How to do it: a review of these three tutorials should get you started

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=104795

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=79954

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=145153

We have been stuck too long with "New Mesh" as the apex of creation.
_ WesHowe
Scholar
#3 Old 6th Aug 2021 at 10:43 AM
1. Make sure to clone something with 2 templates similar to what your new mesh will be like. If it's all wood, use an object with wood parts, metal and wood - something with those two materials. Just to make it easier in the end for the reflection values and such.
2. If your new mesh is already to separate parts. Save each one as it's own obj file. (Delete one, save the the one still there, undo delete, delete half you saved, save other part).
3. Fire up uv mapper. Load one of your separate part obj files. If you like the uv map as is, save the template so you can use it to make your texture template. If you want to line up templates parts differently, now's the time to do it. Save the new template as an obj file (save model) and your new template for making your texture.
4. If you re-mapped either or both of your parts, import them one at a time into milkshape and delete materials. Uv mapper loves to give them to you. (Does it to me even when I check the no materials box.)
5. Rename your two parts according to the mesh parts in the new mesh's gmdc. You should be able to export your new obj mesh now and import it into simpe.
When you import more than one obj part at a time into gmdc of simpe, go down the list clicking each part and telling SimPE to replace the old with the new.

1st Place : Superb Sibling, Hearts Consume the Stars Contests
2nd place : Daddy N Me Cycle 2 Alien Edition, Sims Real Estate Contests
3rd Place : World Zombie Model Agency Contest
4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 3:17 AM
Thanks for both your responses. I will study those tutes and instructions and see if I can manage it.
Actually Deatherella, I am trying to make a glass jar of jam similar to your (I think) jars of things. I can't get it to work though. Not only a UV problem but also when I import my meshes onto the Maxis flower vase, it doesnt replace them, it adds to them and I end up with 4 parts. Same if I clone your jars, i end up with too many parts.
Mad Poster
#5 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 4:03 AM
With Milkshape you have a couple options:

- Export/import as Unimesh, and make sure you use the same group names for the comments and groups (if there's no skeletons, you won't get any problems with the export. It's usually what you have to use for anything with morphs or skeletons, but also works for deco meshes).

- Use the advanced import (the box that pops up when importing OBJs) and the add/replace/etc. dropdown list to the right, using the "replace" option for the parts you want to replace, "add" for parts you want to add but keep the name for, and "rename" if you want to add them but name them something different.

Otherwise you have to delete the old groups and rename the new ones to match the subset names in the package.

---

For UVmaps, technically, each individual mesh group has the option to have its own individual UVmap, and if you separate a mesh group you should be able to export the UVmap for that group on its own (the easiest way is to delete everything else, export that mesh, and then export the UVmap - but it depends on the program). How you set up the map depends on how you want to texture the item, either as two completely separate subsets or as two subsets that can share an UVmap and can therefore also share a texture.

Personally I use Blender for exporting (and tinkering with) UVmaps these days. It's probably a bit more buttons to learn, but I prefer it over several other options.
Scholar
#6 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 5:57 AM
If I remember right, my jars are glass and a inside thing for the textures for the goods in them. I think I used the glass canister set to make them. If your glass part doesn't need a recoloring template, use something with a glass part in the original mesh and just replace that with your glass object.
If your mesh is a jar with something inside it, the glass canisters and there's also "flavorful neccesities" in kitchen and bath deco stuff.
Did you remember to tell SimPE to replace the original mesh parts with your parts with the same name? If you don't put it on replace it will automatically add all your mesh parts and then it's maxis and yours all mixed together.

4th Placce : Aspiration N Me, Maxis Makeover Home Edition, My Girl, Stages of Life, SRE Cycle 2 Contests
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#7 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 6:18 AM Last edited by VirtualAlex : 7th Aug 2021 at 6:51 AM.
Yes I have used Blender but it was a while ago, I might look back into it.
Anyway I have achieved my goal, and I didn't need an extra texture because I just masked the one I used. So I didn't need to use the above suggestions for this object, but I will certainly keep the info for later use. Thanks everyone for your input.
Look what I finally managed to do: (it's fridge stockable too!)

ETA: But it's not recolourable because the original Maxis vase wasn't either
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#8 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 10:13 AM
If you have the CEP correctly installed, most items should be recolorable by default when cloned, even when using an item that isn't recolorable from EA's side.

If it isn't recolorable, you can use this tutorial to make it recolorable:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103379 (adding a subset and making it recolorable - you can use the "make it recolorable" parts here)
https://hugelunatic.com/making-objects-recolorable/ (more how to fix items, but if anything isn't working from using the other tutorial then here's how to fix it. If you have the CEP and your object already has a MMAT, you might want to check through this first, just in case the object technically is set up to be recolorable but something is wrong with the subset names or anything else)

(Thought there was a clean MMAT-adding/editing tutorial somewhere too, but maybe not).
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#9 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 10:43 AM
So I started again, and I had to clone a custom object which had two subsets and two textures and was recolourable, but I did it.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#10 Old 7th Aug 2021 at 11:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
If you have the CEP correctly installed, most items should be recolorable by default when cloned, even when using an item that isn't recolorable from EA's side.

If it isn't recolorable, you can use this tutorial to make it recolorable:
https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=103379 (adding a subset and making it recolorable - you can use the "make it recolorable" parts here)
https://hugelunatic.com/making-objects-recolorable/ (more how to fix items, but if anything isn't working from using the other tutorial then here's how to fix it. If you have the CEP and your object already has a MMAT, you might want to check through this first, just in case the object technically is set up to be recolorable but something is wrong with the subset names or anything else)

(Thought there was a clean MMAT-adding/editing tutorial somewhere too, but maybe not).

Yes I can't understand why it was not recolourable, it is the Frost de Fleur object. I did try and make it recolourable with that HL tutorial, but it would not work. I have CEP correctly installed too, so no idea of the problem there. It's the user I guess!!
Scholar
#11 Old 8th Aug 2021 at 12:14 AM
Glad you got it to work.