Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#126 Old 30th Jun 2010 at 9:03 PM
I love 1st time stories.
My first time was terrible, I studied the basics for bodyshop, went through the instructions for building, did the tutorial. After I made my first family an adult female living with her elderly mom (cc free and ignorant of its existence for atleast a year after owning the game)
I was very proud of them. I threw them into a small $12,000 home, they were broke because the culinary career is tough in my opinion and the hours were aweful, gramma was always alone and undersocialized. Her daughter came home from work sick and inturn made gramma sick and the next day she dies while her daughter is sleeping. I tried pleading for her life, after I got over the shock of seeing that creepy reaper in the living room. No really he kinda scared me, I almost turned it off right there. I was traumatized over the whole affair, then I had to sell the urn just for grocery money. I didn't play again for about 2 monthes. And rereading the book.
Advertisement
Test Subject
#127 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 5:49 PM
I played The Sims 1 for a long time before playing the sims 2. In TS1 you can delete the sim and click on their picture for them to return to the game. When you do this their needs are all green. Of course, I thought you could do this for TS2. When I deleted my people I realized they weren't coming back, so I freaked out and exited without saving.
My first family I played was in Veronaville. I really liked the house Romeo lived in, and my family was small enough to live there too. After I moved them in I couldn't figure out out how to get rid of Romeo, Mercutio, and their grandparents. Then I remembered how I deleted the other people in my one family. I tried deleting them and it worked, but when I went to the neighborhood screen and reentered the house they reappeared. So my family lived with the Montys. I also tried to get my teen girl to like Romeo and vice versa, but Romeo seemed to hate my girl and kept poking her. It was actually quite funny .
Scholar
#128 Old 2nd Jul 2010 at 6:46 PM
I did something n00bish with The Sims when I first started playing.

I couldn't figure out how to build houses, and I refused to play the stupid tutorial, just because the game kept telling me to with it's insistent arrow. I ignored the arrow, clicked on the create a family button and chose the Roomie family. I moved Chris and Melissa into an empty lot and proceeded to place bare walls on the lot. I couldn't figure out how to build doors. I didn't realize that you needed to place a piece of wall where you wanted a door, so for awhile, Melissa and Chris just lived in a maze.

After that, I got really familiar with building (I hate doing it though.)
Lab Assistant
#129 Old 4th Jul 2010 at 3:01 AM
Oh goodness, I can still remember getting TS1 from my cousin when I was about 5 or 6. The first time I played it, I can still recall how I wanted my sims to make dinner on the stove but I didn't know you had to have counter space to do that. So my sims just kept getting out those instant meal cans, and leaving them all over the house. And then my sim was wetting herself in the middle of the kitchen after eating so much.
Oh, and I used to have a graveyard lot, where I'd move in 8 sims, kill them all in a fire and then just build up all the gravestones outside. It was crazy how many gravestones I would have had, I know there were at least 100.
Good memories, ahaha.

I don't recall any major noob moments in TS2 though.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#130 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 8:45 PM
Quote: Originally posted by heytuesday
Oh goodness, I can still remember getting TS1 from my cousin when I was about 5 or 6. The first time I played it, I can still recall how I wanted my sims to make dinner on the stove but I didn't know you had to have counter space to do that. So my sims just kept getting out those instant meal cans, and leaving them all over the house. And then my sim was wetting herself in the middle of the kitchen after eating so much.
Oh, and I used to have a graveyard lot, where I'd move in 8 sims, kill them all in a fire and then just build up all the gravestones outside. It was crazy how many gravestones I would have had, I know there were at least 100.
Good memories, ahaha.

I don't recall any major noob moments in TS2 though.

I had the same thing at the first 2 months i was playing that game.

What about the other users,keep telling your noobish stories!
Lab Assistant
#131 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 8:49 PM
First time playing a family in Sims 2, the house burned down and everyone but the toddler died (Mom, dad, and teen), then the social worker took the kid. Later on, when I was less noob-ish at the game I adopted a child and lo and behold, it was the kid from my first family! XD

First time playing a dorm in University, I made a bunch of my friends and I in one dorm...And one of them had a bad cooking skill and almost burned the place down...And everyone passed their first two semesters just barely because I never did the assignments. They got straightened out in Sophomore year though. :3

First time playing a vampire...I got her turned, and forgot to have her quit her job and get a new one, and she died from the sunlight. D: I was very sad.
Test Subject
#132 Old 12th Jul 2010 at 9:13 PM
Let my babies sleep on the floor, I had no idea you could have cribs until I played as the Broke Household. :3
Test Subject
#133 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 2:22 AM
MY first sims home was primitive. nothing more than a 10 x 15 box with walls. I left walls out where I put doors (??) cause i thought they'd fill in, had no wall paper, no roof and when i played with the guy i forgot to buy a toilet ans (whoopse) he let it out on the floor, and i was like wth is that? I spilled no water! I burnt his food and the fire alarm went off and I was like ohh this is over! But I learned. And Grew. Just Like a Sim would!
Lab Assistant
#134 Old 13th Jul 2010 at 3:22 AM
I didn't know that Sims require counter space to prepare their food on, so my first family was constantly frustrated with me. I would see a new meal to cook, click on it, and they would take the food out, stomp their feet, and get a little thought bubble with what looked to me like a box and an exclamation point in it.

At first I thought they wanted a stove, which they HAD, so I deleted the stove and put in a new one. Nothing. Obviously they probably didn't mean the fridge. Perhaps a table? No...

I figured out that they could eat TV dinners without flailing at me. For weeks, they ate nothing but TV dinners (which are pretty fattening, let me tell you) and I stewed about their limited cooking capabilities.

Until, one day, my mother saw my Sim flailing and refusing to cook, and suggested, "What if they want a counter?"

Now I always make sure my Sims have at least three open counter tops in every kitchen.
Mad Poster
#135 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 1:09 AM
I made a completely stupid mistake, and I've been playing for almost a year.

A Sim family of mine got a dog. I wondered why the dog wouldn't eat, the poor thing's Hunger was heading for red, and the dog was doing an Ask For Food interaction. I had my Sim clean and fill his dish (since he's finicky), still wouldn't eat, and I was like, oh no, I better do something before the cop comes!

Then it occurred to me...go into Buy Mode and make sure the food dish is facing in the right direction...turns out that was the problem! Once I fixed the problem, the dog just chowed down.
Lab Assistant
#136 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 1:38 PM
It took me ages to figure out that to get two sims to woohoo, you need to direct them to relax on a bed first. My game remained childless for quite a while because of that :p

Yet Another Bloody Sims Blog - A BaCC Journal
Inventor
#137 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 2:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AlexandraSpears
Then it occurred to me...go into Buy Mode and make sure the food dish is facing in the right direction...

Yes, it doesn't help of course that sims tend to put the bowls down in the wrong direction when they fill the bowls. I always make sure the dogs have access to the bowl on all sides these days, which means of course sims are falling over the bowl sat in the middle of the kitchen!

I'm doing all my noobish things in Sims 3 now. So far it's not as disastrous as my first playing attempt in Sims 2 (if you discount having (unplanned) twins with the ONE man in the hood who has commitment issues!). Boy it's hard work bringing up twins AND holding down a job as a single mom in Sims 3. Playing my families in Sims 2 is an oasis of calm in comparison!
Instructor
#138 Old 15th Jul 2010 at 4:48 PM Last edited by a_az13_a : 15th Jul 2010 at 5:00 PM.
My first ever Sims game was The Sims 2 Pets for PS2 and it was absolutely crap, but at the time I loved it! Then when I realised there was a computer version of The Sims 2 (about a year ago), I decided to buy it. Of course, because I had been used to playing the horrible crappy PS2 version, I thought that the computer game was the best thing ever! I remember the first family I ever played was the Pleasants and I kept on texting my best friend (who I used to play PS2 Sims with) saying things like: "Oh my god, computer Sims is amazing! They can have kids, and grow old, and you can have houses with more than one floor, and they can go out to nightclubs, (I had Double Deluxe) and one of my sims just cheated on his wife and she got really pissed off and slapped him!"
After I got bored of playing the Pleasants, I decided to create my own family. I made me and my sister as teens, and my brother as a kid, then I made my brother's friend, and two random male teens to be mine and my sister's boyfriends. Then I realised that each teen or child has to be related to an adult so I made two random adults called Piggy and Chicken. One of them was the parent to me, my sister, and my brother, and the other was the parent to the other three. They lived in this massive house (I had already found out about money cheats!) with no roof and loads of TVs and hot tubs! It was complete chaos, both the adults died, then shortly after the two kids got taken away by the social worker because I didn't realise they had to do homework, then eventually I got bored of waiting for the four teens to age up into adults and I never played that family again!
My second family was a gay couple who spent half their lives WooHooing because I found it funny for some reason. I can't remember what happened to them, but I think they probably died too.
Ah, the good old days of when I was a total Sims noob!
Test Subject
#139 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 1:33 AM
I made a touhou family and making Sakuya and Ran love each other without noticing XD

Also they are also wearing their outer wear so Ran has no tails and Sakuya looks like a teacher XD

ベーコンが好きです。
Test Subject
#140 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 9:27 AM Last edited by Hanhula : 3rd Oct 2010 at 8:29 AM.
Argh, noobness. I have made SO MANY mistakes.

My first family was based off this book I read. There were quite a few families in this book, I made them all. One of the characters was a princess. I didn't know anything about cheats or CC so I just moved them into that white, basegame, lot bin house. (I started off with Double Deluxe, by the way.)
They were fine and happy... then the princess got spots. I freaked out. HUGE MASSIVE SCARY LUMPS on her face. Euuurggh.
Oh, I didn't know that you could use the mirror either so I gave one of the boys that horrid long hair that looks like a bowl was put on their head and turned into hair just so he could get the hair I wanted for him when he grew up.
Then I found out about cheats. Specifically, motherlode.
I went into pleasantview and created a family.
Two blonde adults, a male and a female, and their children - a boy and a girl. Not toddlers, children. Moved them into that huge house (the one with the lake and palm trees and stuff). I made the man get the woman preggo.. and I'm not sure how I kept her alive. I didn't even know about aspiration rewards!
So she had the baby, and I had her put it in a cot upstairs. Meanwhile, the boy child went to the toilet. I was used to playing with music off, so as I had the sound on, I was rather freaked out by the strange sound that was playing. I figured that it was him going pee-pee though.
Then he went downstairs and sat down at a computer desk. He played for a while, and then tried to get up. He couldn't. Meanwhile, the baby was in red and I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT!
The child girl was a perfect angel. Typical, the others go insane and this girl's doing her homework and skilling like a good girl.
Then, the time comes. The social worker arrives.
Dun. Dun. DUUUN.
She walked straight through the LOCKED gate and took my children!
Nooo!

I was stupid and saved the game. Grr.
But not as stupid as later in my Sims-playing life.
I found out about custom content! I downloaded loads of stuff from T$R, not realising that it was EVIL. I also downloaded sims and houses from the exchange. Within the month, my computer had 3 trojans on it (although I'm not sure if they were from sims) and wasn't working properly. I couldn't figure out how to download from MTS2, as I was stupid. I registered (bear in mind I was stupid) and tried to download. Failed.
A few years later I found the game and tried again.

..IT WORKED!

Now I have over 20k of custom content and my game takes 20 mins to load. Thanks!

ETA: Make that 45k. And 40 mins.
Scholar
#141 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 10:55 AM
I thought I could make it for a quick pee while my uni Sims were out playing water ballon fights. I always played eight neighbourhood kids at a time and had them in a big house together. Well the phone rang, I chatted away and I forgot I had it running. When I did come back 4 of them were frozen on the ground, it had started snowing while they were doing the water balloon thing. The ones that survived must have gone in the house and they were all sitting playing drums, etc, so oblivious to their friends demise.

Had to exit without saving the game and they all survived in the end, but it was horrible, I had raised these kids lmao
Forum Resident
#142 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 11:00 AM
Oh dear, now I remember...I had played Sims 1 at my friends house many years earlier, and when started to play it again I didn't remember that in order to pay the bills you'll have to use mailbox. So when my sims started to get notes about bills, bank and repoman, I send my sims to downtown to find the Bank! Then I screamed behind the screen when I didn't find any, naturally. I actually had to look from game tips, how on earth you can pay those darn bills!

MaraLetsPlay on Youtube - Sims Let's Plays and Livestreams
Mara @ LJ - Downloads and stories
TS2 Patch and Pre-made Sim Archive | TS2 Townie/NPC Archive | TS3 Pre-made Sim Archive
Test Subject
#143 Old 16th Jul 2010 at 4:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Hanhula
Argh, noobness. I have made SO MANY mistakes.

My first family was based off this book I read. There were quite a few families in this book, I made them all. One of the characters was a princess. I didn't know anything about cheats or CC so I just moved them into that white, basegame, lot bin house. (I started off with Double Deluxe, by the way.)
They were fine and happy... then the princess got spots. I freaked out. HUGE MASSIVE SCARY LUMPS on her face. Euuurggh.
Oh, I didn't know that you could use the mirror either so I gave one of the boys that horrid long hair that looks like a bowl was put on their head and turned into hair just so he could get the hair I wanted for him when he grew up.
Then I found out about cheats. Specifically, motherlode.
I went into pleasantview and created a family.
Two blonde adults, a male and a female, and their children - a boy and a girl. Not toddlers, children. Moved them into that huge house (the one with the lake and palm trees and stuff). I made the man get the woman preggo.. and I'm not sure how I kept her alive. I didn't even know about aspiration rewards!
So she had the baby, and I had her put it in a cot upstairs. Meanwhile, the boy child went to the toilet. I was used to playing with music off, so as I had the sound on, I was rather freaked out by the strange sound that was playing. I figured that it was him going pee-pee though.
Then he went downstairs and sat down at a computer desk. He played for a while, and then tried to get up. He couldn't. Meanwhile, the baby was in red and I COULDN'T FIGURE OUT WHAT WAS WRONG WITH IT!
The child girl was a perfect angel. Typical, the others go insane and this girl's doing her homework and skilling like a good girl.
Then, the time comes. The social worker arrives.
Dun. Dun. DUUUN.
She walked straight through the LOCKED gate and took my children!
Nooo!

I was stupid and saved the game. Grr.
But not as stupid as later in my Sims-playing life.
I found out about custom content! I downloaded loads of stuff from T$R, not realising that it was EVIL. I also downloaded sims and houses from the exchange. Within the month, my computer had 3 trojans on it (although I'm not sure if they were from sims) and wasn't working properly. I couldn't figure out how to download from MTS2, as I was stupid. I registered (bear in mind I was stupid) and tried to download. Failed.
A few years later I found the game and tried again.

..IT WORKED!

Now I have over 20k of custom content and my game takes 20 mins to load. Thanks!

I thought 3k of CC was a lot XD

ベーコンが好きです。
Instructor
#144 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 12:11 AM
Early when I had started playing Sims 1 and knew no cheats at all, I had decided to make a nice extended family and have them all live together. It was a mom, dad, adult daughter, and two kids. Well I was very into residential architecture at the time, so I wanted to work my skills and give that family a very nice suitable house. Unfortunately since I didn't know any money cheats at the time, I managed to make the complete two level floorplan of the house with doors and windows, but then I ran out of money right after I began furnishing the bathroom. So they had a floorplan of a house, a toilet, a tub, and a chair. I immediately made the 3 adults get the same job from the newspaper to get some money coming in and I sent the kids to school. Whatever job it was did not pay enough because I don't remember being able to get them much else - plus my priorities were screwed - I really wanted to finish the look of the house and put paint on the walls and give them flooring or carpet. They all ended up in terrible moods taking turns to get comfortable in either the chair or the bathtub.
Test Subject
#145 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 2:49 AM
The first family I ever played was the Broke family. What a disaster that was!
I made Brandi work too hard and by the time I realised she was pregnant, it was too late. She hardly had time for herself so she died from hunger and exhaustion whilst in her third trimester.
I didn't know of any cheats and I didn't even know I could call a nanny but hey, that's what happened.
Field Researcher
#146 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 4:48 PM
Well, I kept on forcing my kids to do their homework until I realized that they needed some form of entertainment (red hands is perfect) then when they woke up in the early early morning that made me very angry and I kept having them bounce on beds and stuff (because they'd be crying that they are tired at the end and won't do their homework...) but to my demise it only made them MORE tired. -facepalm-

Also, this isn't funny, but I left boolprop running and when I came back I kept on wondering why all these townies where in MY house and using the toilet and holding my babies. I finally forced an error on them all. ._. I hate townies.

This is a fail, but it makes me very angry when they take people home. DON'T THEY EVER LEARN?! I mean seriously, one townie was sneezing all over the daggone place and I commanded my sim to make him leave and she got sick... ._.

"What could I do? What should I do? What could I... what should I... It's not like I'm crying or anything! I love you!" ~Love Is War
Mad Poster
#147 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 10:20 PM
I remember when I first started playing, I wondered why my Sims were stamping their feet when I told them to make a meal...the refrigerator was facing the wrong way....oops.

I have only had Sims die of fire or old age, never starvation though. And the fire was because I didn't know you needed a smoke detector or at least a sprinkler...my first Sim death-by-fire was that of a child and his mother.
Lab Assistant
#148 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 10:40 PM
i have a load of n00bish things, lol.

i was in fascination with veronaville. i had read romeo and juliet and had wanted to play the city. so i started off with romeo monty's household. which has, in case you haven't noticed, plants and flowers. now, i don't know the first thing about gardening, sims or real life so i just never made them take care of them. oh yeah, the trash was never taken out either lol. needless to say, isabella freaked out in the bathroom and i was like 'what?'. the vermin freaked out 11 year old me, and i didn't play till...a few months after.

You know that place between sleep and awake? The place where you can still remember dreaming? That’s where I’ll always love you. That’s where I’ll be waiting.
Mad Poster
#149 Old 17th Jul 2010 at 11:30 PM
That's why I like those Prima guides. The instruction manuals with the games only give you basic information--the rest is trial and error.

I first started out with Sims Life Stories. I had no idea that your children were supposed to do homework...and I had a child and his infant sister removed from the home because of that!

I've been playing since last fall and believe me, the threads here are helpful.
Test Subject
#150 Old 18th Jul 2010 at 1:21 AM
I remember I tried making Romeo and Juliet.

A guy with black hair and a lady with a dress XD

I kept making them but they kept dying of fire or Hunger XD

ベーコンが好きです。
Page 6 of 43