Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[OUTDATED] BaseGameStarter Pro v.2.5

by Numenor Posted 5th Nov 2006 at 2:29 PM - Updated 27th Nov 2013 at 9:16 PM by Nysha

Closed Thread Locked by: Numenor Reason: Get the new AGS at [url]http://www.modthesims2.com/download.php?t=250555[/url]
332 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 331 Feedback Posts
Page 3 of 14
Lab Assistant
#51 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 1:21 PM
How can i get MaryLou's great mini-lots (or any other CC for that matter) into the BGS? Also, thanks, this is such a good idea! x
Test Subject
#52 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 8:56 PM
morgonrocks2/mogbog - Thanks for the very useful info I think that the new BGS, compatible with Deluxe, will be out way before Maxis gives you a new registration code

In fact, I believe I can post it in few hours.
=================================================================
i see what you mean by that like im waiting a month to send a letter for some codes :P

will the new version your posting fix the problem im having (nightlife not installing) or "replace" my nightlife folders somehow?

Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.
- Franklin P. Adams
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#53 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 9:56 PM
Default Update!
30sept07 - BaseGameStarter v 2.0c

WHAT'S NEW

1. Now compatible with Sims2 Deluxe
    The owner of The Sims 2 Deluxe should now be able to correctly use the BaseGameStarter.
    The installer should also FIX the problem those user were experiencing, when the full game always issued the message "You have uninstalled Nightlife".
    Since I DON'T have Deluxe, all the Deluxe owners please report here if the BGS and the full game now work fine for you.

2. Better handling of games without BV
    This is one of those "invisible improvements" that the users are never aware of
    In few words, the new code handles better the Registry modifications in those cases when the user does NOT have Bon Voyage.

3. Better management of the CEL and H&M packs
    These packs are really a pain in the... side
    Due to the way Maxis coded them, the "Up2CEL" and the "Up2H&M" games are actually "Up2SSN" games plus CEL/H&M. If Seasons doesn't exist, then both become "Up2PETS" games plus CEL/H&M.
    In other words, these two packs run in the same folder as SSN (if exists) or PETS. This is because - unlike all the other mini-games - the "OnlyCEL" neighborhoods are NOT compatible with the "Up2CEL" ones (because they require SSN or PETS). The same incompatibility happens between the "OnlyH&M" and the "Up2H&M" neighborhoods.
    So, in few words, now the BGS manages correctly also the CEL and H&M packs

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#54 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 10:23 PM
Christine - We must understand what's happening in your BGS...

The improvements in the code of the BGS v.2.0c might solve your problem. Not sure anyway.

Download the updated BGS and run it (I suggest to select the option to completely remove the BGS and all its components, and then reinstalling it).

If your problem is not solved, please post here again your AppFiles folder: sonner or later, hopefully, we'll sort it out

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Banned
#55 Old 30th Sep 2007 at 11:34 PM
hopefully my NL items will be back in the new version

im just downloading now...
Banned
#56 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 12:18 AM
Woooooooooooohoooooooooooo! Nightlife Works Again! Thanks Numenor
Scholar
#57 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 12:52 AM
The same thing is happening with the new version, when I click on only BV it starts my regular game with all EPs. I did not try clicking on "up to OFB" this time, but in the past when I have tried this it tells me to ensure I have the correct disk and click OK (or something like that, I cannot remember the exact words). I never had a problem with your older versions of base game pro, so I am baffled as to why I am now.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles.zip (180.8 KB, 7 downloads)

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#58 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 4:21 PM
CHRISTINE

It's strange, the last AppFiles you sent me shows again the oddity I've noticed the first time; and it contains some files that are clearly NOT created with the latest v. 2.0c.

However, if you (or someone else) is interested, the problems seems to be the following:
While starting the mini-game, the Registry is temporarily modified; it should be restored to the original values after 60 seconds. Since XP doesn't contain any more the DOS commands needed to create a time-out delay, I've used a timed "ping" command to a non-existing address ("1.1.1.1").

In your case, for unknown reasons, the delay is ZERO seconds: the Registry is restored to the original values immediately, and therefore the game starts using the normal game folder (and NOT the special mini-game one).

As far as I know, you are the only user with such a problem; I don't know if it's due to a particular configuration of a firewall, or perhaps some settings of your network card...

In any case, I've prepared a special test version of the BaseGameStarter for you: download it and install the mini-games as usual (again, I suggest to start with an "Up2BV" mini-game).

If everythings (hopepfully) works fine, tell me, and I will post an official update, in case someone else has your same problem.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  BaseGameStarterPRO_FOR-CHRISTINE.zip (2.16 MB, 29 downloads)

Forum Resident
#59 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 9:19 PM
I love and use your BGS so much! thank you for this update.
Scholar
#60 Old 1st Oct 2007 at 10:06 PM
I am extremely happy to report that the version you created for me worked. Thank you! for solving the problem I was having, I sincerely appreciate all your hard work.

CC4Sims
Love will humiliate you and hate will cradle you.
Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits.
Lab Assistant
#61 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 3:03 AM
I'm trying to load up to Seasons and every time, I get a message that says "You are running the wrong version of The Sims 2. Please run The Sims 2 Bon Voyage instead." I get the same thing when I try to load just Seasons. After I got this message the first couple of times I decided to restart my computer and see if that would fix it. Instead of restarting I got the BSOD telling me it was shutting down to avoid damaging my computer, with a screen full of numbers I didn't understand. I manually restarted from shutdown and tried BGS again, and got the same error message as before. I'm attaching my Apps file. Thanks.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  AppFiles.zip (141.2 KB, 10 downloads)

The universe lies before you on the floor, in the air, in the mysterious bodies of your dancers, in your mind. From this voyage no one returns poor or weary.

- Agnes De Mille
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#62 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 6:05 AM
StarStuff - You seem to experience the same problem as Christine. Please download the BaseGameStarter I made for Christine in my previous post (it will work for you too) and report here if it solved your problems.

Christine - Thanks for reporting! I'm glad that this modification in the BGS solves the delay problem; it seem that you are not the only one, however (also an AnyGameStarter user reported the same problem, and now StarStuff): I will post an update to both the BGS and the AGS to include this modification.

Lab Assistant
#63 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 4:07 AM Last edited by StarStuff : 3rd Oct 2007 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Additional information
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
StarStuff - You seem to experience the same problem as Christine. Please download the BaseGameStarter I made for Christine in my previous post (it will work for you too) and report here if it solved your problems.

Christine - Thanks for reporting! I'm glad that this modification in the BGS solves the delay problem; it seem that you are not the only one, however (also an AnyGameStarter user reported the same problem, and now StarStuff): I will post an update to both the BGS and the AGS to include this modification.

Okay, thanks, I'll try it and report back to you.

REPORTING BACK: Numenor, this has apparently fixed the problem for me as well. I only tried it getting into the game up to Seasons, but it did that with no problem so I believe it will work as it's supposed to for all the other configurations. Thank you so much!

The universe lies before you on the floor, in the air, in the mysterious bodies of your dancers, in your mind. From this voyage no one returns poor or weary.

- Agnes De Mille
Alchemist
#64 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 6:39 AM
hello!

I am trying to use Andi8104's LotExpander with the BSP, and LotExpander just crashes. Mootilda has been trying to work it out, but maybe you have some suggestions here?

I have an old version of LotExpander which still appears to work, but Mootilda's updated versions give an error on the very first screen and then stop.

I can't use the old LotExpander on my lot, because the program doesn't read the Minigame neighbourhood - Mootilda thinks that is fixed in the latest version, but since I can't make it run, I don't know for sure.

the error is "Index was outside the bounds of the array"

I am using the StarterPro 1.5, I think - can't find a version number. I have up to Seasons, but no later stuff packs apart from FFS.

hope you can help.
aelflaed.
Test Subject
#65 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 6:41 PM
Christine's version works for me too. Thank you again, Numenor.
Lab Assistant
#66 Old 3rd Oct 2007 at 7:50 PM Last edited by ronyu02 : 3rd Oct 2007 at 7:59 PM.
Default Bug?
First off, thank you for this wonderful update to your tool.

I don't know if this is a bug, but after playing the base game using the starter and then playing the full game again, my stuff packs weren't recognized by the game anymore. I figured it's caused by registry settings, so I looked at Sims2_Full.reg in the AppFiles folder, and sure enough, the SP entries are missing:

"EPsInstalled"="Sims2EP1.exe,Sims2EP2.exe,Sims2EP3.exe,,,Sims2EP4.exe,Sims2EP5.exe,,,Sims2EP6.exe"

I was able to fix the problem by filling in the missing SP entries and "executing" the reg file (now the full game recognizes the SPs again). I wonder though why the SPs weren't included in the Sims2_Full.reg file creation. I'm thinking it's because I installed the SPs on another partition (Drive D)? Maybe my BSPro installation just went quirky (in which case, no biggie), but perhaps you can look into this. Thanks!

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking.

My download guidelines and strange creations.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#67 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 10:43 PM
Thanks Ronyu, I'm very interested in your case. Can you please post your AppFiles folder here? But before doing anything, please run the installer one more time (just to be sure that the problem occurs every time, and was not occasional).

Also, please explain me better about the installation paths of your game: you have installed some expansions on a partition and some on another? Technically, this should not fool the BGS installer, but it's obvious that there's a connection between the BGS fault and your peculiar game installation.

Since you seem experienced with the computer, here is how the Sims2_Full.reg is created:

The installer (immediately when run, even before you choose any option) checks you registry, looking for the various keys in HKLM/Software/EA Games. In fact, regardless the language of your game, the Registry keys are always the same:
The Sims 2
The Sims 2 University
The Sims 2 Nightlife (or "Deluxe")
The Sims 2 Open For Business
etc.
If the key exist, the corresponding "Sims2....exe" is added to the Full.reg

So, the installation path of the various packs is not taken in account at all.
Well, this reminds me that, on the contrary, the old BGS (prior to v.2) actually relied on the game installation paths, in order to build the Full.reg: are you sure you are running the v.2? (sorry for the stupid question, but I have to be sure... )

EDIT: You ARE running the BGS v.2, otherwise you wouldn't have mentioned the AppFiles folder - Ok, then, please just run the installer once more and confirm me that the error persists (and then post here the AppFiles).

The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#68 Old 4th Oct 2007 at 11:37 PM
Default Thread Update!
==========================================================

30 SEPT 2007 - BaseGameStarter v.2.0d
(the "Christine version, lol! )

Fixed a bug that affected only some users: when starting
the mini-game, actually the Full game started; or the game
complaints about not running the right game.
If you are not experiencing this bug, you don't need to redownload.

Thanks to Christine and the other users that reported this bug.

==========================================================

@ Aelflaed - I don't know the internal structure and functions of the LotExpander. However, if it currently doesn't read the mini-game neighborhoods, it's very unlikely that the BGS can cause or fix the problem that you mention.

I can only you give a hint that can help you use the LotExpander (or the Clean Installer, or any tool that reads the save-game folder).
Let's say that you want to modify a lot that is in your "Up2Seasons" mini-game; open your AppFiles folder, and you will see many ".reg" files: choose the one named "Sims2_Up2SSN.reg" (each possible mini-game has its own .reg file). Double-click on it and then confirm the modification in the registry.

Then start the Lot Expander, and you should be able to operate on the Up2SS mini-game.

When finished, it's VITAL that you double-click on the file "Sims2_Full.reg", so to restore the Registry to its normal values!

Lab Assistant
#69 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 4:04 AM
Default Re: Bug?
Looks like it was just a quirky installation after all. I reinstalled BSPro (after uninstalling first) and Sims2_Full.reg has all my SP's now.

I posted my AppFiles folder just the same. This is for the new working installation. I forgot to do it for the earlier one (I suppose that might have been of more interest in debugging).

Btw, my basegame and EPs are installed in C:\Program Files\EA GAMES. The SP's are in D:\Program Files\EA GAMES. This was for practical purposes, plus I'm running out of space on C.

Anyway it's all good now. And thanks for the insight on the reg file. I was figuring how the registry entries work back then when I was trying to make a backup of the Sims 2 folders in Program Files so I won't need to go through the usual installation whenever I needed to reinstall... erm, nevermind. :D
Attached files:
File Type: rar  AppFiles.rar (25.1 KB, 11 downloads)

Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking.

My download guidelines and strange creations.
Test Subject
#70 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 4:39 PM Last edited by LanaOnaStick : 5th Oct 2007 at 5:40 PM.
Is there any way this can work with XP64? I tried to avoid BV and go back to Seasons and have lost not only my whole game, but everything that was in My Documents\ EA Games, including a few other folders I use for testing. When I tried to start the game I got an error message saying there was a 64bit incompatibility (didn't write down the exact wording) and the program couldn't run but the game did start. There is now no sign in My Documents of BGS but I still have icons on the desktop.
I did not get the message that Vista gives.
I have all EPs and SP, and am using the administrator account, which is the only account on this machine.

EDIT
Okay, I restarted and it's all come back. That's wierd. At least I understood what the old BGS did. Is it best to just ignore the error message?
Alchemist
#71 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 2:47 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
I don't know the internal structure and functions of the LotExpander. However, if it currently doesn't read the mini-game neighborhoods, it's very unlikely that the BGS can cause or fix the problem that you mention.

Thanks - I've passed that hint on to Mootilda, who will see what she can figure out. Currently, I've got plasticbox's workaround allowing me to use my old LotExpander on the minigame neighbourhood, which is fine for my immediate needs.

I was hoping you'd instantly put your finger on the problem, but it isn't going to be that simple. Thanks again.
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#72 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 3:25 AM
RonYu - Thanks anyway; we'll have to live without knowing what happened the first time

LanaOnaStick - Reading your post, I was not sure whether you managed to "avoid BV and go back to Seasons" by uninstalling BV or using the BGS. I think the latter, right?
Remember that when the mini-game starts, the path to the Documents is temporarily displaced to point to the mini-game. This modification lasts for 60 seconds.
In some cases, especially if you open or work with the Documents folder during these 60 seconds, the icon of the Document might "store" the wrong path to the Documents.
Therefore, you think to open your Documents (and you expect to find your EA Games and all your Full game), but actually you are opening the mini-game folder (that contains few things and usually no downloads).
In most cases, this glitch fixes itself in a while; if not, reinstalling the BGS (without deleting anything and keeping the same options as last time), or restarting the PC might help.
My suggestion is to close all the windows before starting the game, and avoid doing anything until the neighborhood choice appears.

Lab Assistant
#73 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 9:26 AM
i have windows Vista. Is there a way to exempt BGS or AGS from the User Account Control Checks (im talking about the errors that darken your screen and bring up an annoying prompt) without shutting off User Account Control? Its saved me from viruses and unsolicited attacks to my system drive, but saying OK to 3 boxes everytime i use this tool is getting a little thin.

Printed Notice:
NOTICE: If you notice this notice you will notice that this notice isn't actually worth noticing
Red Sign:
SIGN NOT IN USE
Test Subject
#74 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 12:59 PM
The problem is that the redirect was maintained after closing the game. It seems that the BSG manages to start the game, I was able to play without BV, but doesn't fix things afterwards. I had to restart the computer to get My Documents back. I assume this is due to the 64 bit incompatibility. Is this something I just have to live with?
The ModFather
retired moderator
Original Poster
#75 Old 6th Oct 2007 at 5:20 PM
Daz_far - No, there is no way to keep the UAC active and prevent that warning window: as far as I know, Vista doesn't allow to bypass that warning for specific applications only.

LanaOnaStick - Actually I don't think that it's related to Vista: another user had the same problem with XP (not sure if she has a 64bit architecture or not...).

One workaround is to keep on the desktop a shortcut to the account folder, or to the Documents, instead of the icons created by Vista.
Just drag the icon on your desktop with the right mouse button and when you release the button, choose "Create Shortcut" (you will have two identical icons, at the moment).
Then open the desktop customization, section "Customize desktop icons" and uncheck the icon(s) that you have created a shortcut for.

Why this workaround? Because the icons created by Vista are in total control of Vista, while the shortcuts contain a path to the documents that can't be easily changed by Vista.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any other workaround (except rebuilding the icon cache, as explained here): sometimes it seems that the OS rushes to update all the icons as soon as the the mini-game starts, and sleeps when it should do the opposite...

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14