Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 8:06 AM
Default Is it possible to change the hotkeys?
I'm so used to most games giving me the option to set up my own hot keys. I really just want to change Ctrl+wasd to Shift+wasd because it's easier and more comfortable for my hand to reach. I went through the settings and it doesn't appear to be something we can change.

I think so far the game's camera has been the biggest annoyance. Although I've only had time to play for about an hour, I'd like to play comfortably at least!

Is it something we can change or am I just stuck?

My Sims Page > Check out My Page!
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:47 PM
It was not possible in any previous sims game (no mods could even do it), and it doesn't seem to be possible with sims 4 either. I realy don't understand why they don't allow us to change it, is it so hard ? I'm a french canadian, so i play the game in french, with a QWERTY keyboard. The french game is set to an AZERTY keyboard, so i can't even use WSAD properly unless i change keyboard property in windows. I just hope modder will be able to do it with sims 4.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 6th Sep 2014 at 6:55 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lezard86
It was not possible in any previous sims game (no mods could even do it), and it doesn't seem to be possible with sims 4 either. I realy don't understand why they don't allow us to change it, is it so hard ? I'm a french canadian, so i play the game in french, with a QWERTY keyboard. The french game is set to an AZERTY keyboard, so i can't even use WSAD properly unless i change keyboard property in windows. I just hope modder will be able to do it with sims 4.

Oh gosh that sucks!

I really do hope a modder can help us with this. So far it's my only major pet peeve in this game. In Sims 3 I could easily tilt the camera angle to a bird's eye view and a horizontal level with their little control panel at the bottom. Now I have to like stretch my pinky finger just to reach CTRL and tilt with wasd. But my pinky rests so comfortably on Shift. I suppose this will just be something I have to get used to.. =P

My Sims Page > Check out My Page!
Test Subject
#4 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 4:55 AM
I found out you can use the AutoHotkey program as a workaround to change the key functions in the game.

To change the Shift key to a Ctrl key in game, download AutoHotkey, and create a file on your desktop with the extension .ahk and the following lines in it:

#IfWinActive ahk_exe TS4_x64.exe
Shift::Ctrl
#IfWinActive

Then run it as administrator.

That code would make your keyboard's Shift key function as a Ctrl key only for the Sims 4 window, and allow you to use Shift to rotate the screen in Sims 4. To stop the script you can end it in task manager or restart your computer.
Scholar
#5 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 5:57 AM
Yeah, AutoHotKey or AHK, is a lightweight automative program, you can remap keys on any game or program. and a simple key remap is the simplest script I can think of.

Just Install program, open Notepad, Paste the code Shift::Ctrl and then save it something like Filename.ahk with the AHK extenstion then double click it, and you will see the script icon on the taskbar to know that it script is now running.

I remapped my TS2 keys to match TS4's, because I found it utterly confusing, after being so used to TS4.
Test Subject
#6 Old 18th Jun 2022 at 6:12 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Citysim
Yeah, AutoHotKey or AHK, is a lightweight automative program, you can remap keys on any game or program. and a simple key remap is the simplest script I can think of.

Just Install program, open Notepad, Paste the code Shift::Ctrl and then save it something like Filename.ahk with the AHK extenstion then double click it, and you will see the script icon on the taskbar to know that it script is now running.

I remapped my TS2 keys to match TS4's, because I found it utterly confusing, after being so used to TS4.

I know this is old, but if you have the script you use to use WASD as the sims 2 movement could you please post it? I'm not too sure how to make it work. Sorry.