Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Jan 2017 at 11:06 PM
Default Default and Non Default skins not showing up in Live Mode properly
Hello! I've been a member of MTS for years but relatively new to the forums. I usually find solutions to my Simming issues in the threads of others.

However, there's one issue I'm having and it's baffling the heck out of me and I've combed Google and forums of any Sims site for a solution.

I had one of Navetsea's amazing skins as my default replacement skins and also a few other non defaults from various artists. My Default skin does not show up at all in CAS, however when I apply a Non Default skin to my her, it shows up in CAS. What's funky is that when I return to Live mode using the default skin, she has the EA default face, but Navetsea's body. I know that isn't right because I've been using his full body skin, the face and body, forever. I also tested this with the non default skins just to get the same result: EA face, non default body. What's even more confusing is that I've tried the same thing on my guy Sim and he ends up vice versa, with Natvetsea's face and the EA default body. However, the non default skins appear complete and as it should be in both CAS and Live mode for my male sim. Not so, with my female sim, though.

What I've tried:
  • Experimenting with other default skins
  • Try creating a new Sim from scratch in CAS
  • Deleting the caches several times
  • The good ol' 50/50 method
  • Started with a fresh Sims 3 folder
  • Testing on other age groups
  • Checking/updating any mods I have
  • Dropping my default skin in the Overrides folder
  • Dropping said skin in a folder with a higher priority (where I have a mod that changes the game's UI color resides)
  • Pulling my hair out

I have several sliders and meshes that provide "anatomical correctness" to my Sims bodies, so I thought that it may be some possible conflict, but I removed those mods and the problem still persisted. I do have TS3 installed on another older PC of mine and it's on patch 1.67. As far as I know, the skins work as it should on that PC. But this copy I'm using on my current PC was installed via Origin since I loaned a friend my hard copies. So, naturally, I end up on the unpopular 1.69 patch. I'm not sure if it's a compatibility issue causing the skin to bork out or not. But it's just a guess. Also, it could be my graphics card causing the skin mess up, though I don't think that's likely since I'm running the game on fairly high settings and I have SweetFX and some other graphical mods and stuff installed.

TL;DR: Default skin isn't showing up on Sim in CAS, but partially show in Live Mode. Non-default is the same, however, with male Sims the entire non defaut-skin appear in both CAS and Live Mode. Tried all solutions in the above list but with no success.

I apologize for such the lengthy and kinda sloppy post, but I wanted to make sure to provide as much detail to my issue as possible.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 10:12 PM
Did you delete the caches in the sims 3 folder too see if that works.
Forum Resident
#3 Old 8th Jan 2017 at 10:15 PM
Try downloading the skins again that may fix it.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#4 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 2:32 AM Last edited by C.Moore : 9th Jan 2017 at 2:35 AM. Reason: Spotted a typo
Quote: Originally posted by ticklish
Did you delete the caches in the sims 3 folder too see if that works.

Yup! Several times, actually. I forgot to mention that I also have Escand's Oh My Eyes as my default eyes and they work just fine both in CAS and Live mode. I

I even did a factory reset, or at least start the game with a fresh folder with just the default skin by itself only to have the same issue. I'm beat!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#5 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 3:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ticklish
Try downloading the skins again that may fix it.

I've tried your suggestion, but I still couldn't get it to work unfortunately. I even tried a totally different default skin and the problem still persist. It's so weird, man.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#6 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 4:25 AM Last edited by C.Moore : 9th Jan 2017 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Removed a dupe screenshot
Default Screenshots of Default and Non Default Skins
I took some screenshots to better illustrate what I mean. Note: I use the full body skin, not separate face and body. Hope this helps!

First two pics are of Navetsea's Default Face-In Sexy skin. Shows up with EA's face and his body in both CAS and Live.

The next four are of LadyFrontbum's Non Default Asian skin. Shows up in its entirety in CAS, but only on the body in Live mode, of course with the EA face.
Screenshots
Alchemist
#7 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 5:07 PM
When you you did the factory reset and tested the skin alone, did you do that in a fresh world or in the neighborhood you're currently playing in? Did you only add the mods folder back?

Also, is it possible that you have some cc in your launcher that could affect the skin? What about dowloaded .sim -files in your saved sims folder?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#8 Old 9th Jan 2017 at 7:02 PM
Quote: Originally posted by varpunen
When you you did the factory reset and tested the skin alone, did you do that in a fresh world or in the neighborhood you're currently playing in? Did you only add the mods folder back?

Also, is it possible that you have some cc in your launcher that could affect the skin? What about dowloaded .sim -files in your saved sims folder?

Yes. Well first I tested a few times in my current save file, removing various CC and Mods at a time, but still the problem persisted. So, then, I decided to do a factory reset and start in a new world with one of my created Sims from my library. It was still happening, so I thought that it may just be that my created Sims were just corrupted and so I tried a pre-made Sim from the Library (in CAS), but it still didn't work. I also did the testing with just the default skin only to get the same results.

I'm gonna try making a new Sim completely from scratch and remove all CC and see what happens~
Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 12:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by C.Moore
Yes. Well first I tested a few times in my current save file, removing various CC and Mods at a time, but still the problem persisted. So, then, I decided to do a factory reset and start in a new world with one of my created Sims from my library. It was still happening, so I thought that it may just be that my created Sims were just corrupted and so I tried a pre-made Sim from the Library (in CAS), but it still didn't work. I also did the testing with just the default skin only to get the same results.

I'm gonna try making a new Sim completely from scratch and remove all CC and see what happens~

Update: I still couldn't get it to work. I'm running out of ideas. I'm really spoiled with default skins but I can't seem to get them to work. I never could stand the sight of EA's greasy, playdough-y skin. But I'll just have to bite down and play until I can figure out why my skin's acting all funky.

Thank you guys so much for your help, if anyone have any ideas, I would really appreciate it! Still open.
Alchemist
#10 Old 10th Jan 2017 at 4:18 PM
Doesn't Navetsea have a ton of options for their skins, including body-only and face-only versions? Have you checked if your skin is body-only?

Tumblr - more downloads! ◾ CC reuploads / creator backupsTS3 CAS Conversion Catalog - for basegame, EP, SP, and Store clothing!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 1:46 AM Last edited by C.Moore : 11th Jan 2017 at 1:57 AM. Reason: Supplied the wrong link
Quote: Originally posted by sweetdevil
Doesn't Navetsea have a ton of options for their skins, including body-only and face-only versions? Have you checked if your skin is body-only?

Oh yeah. But I've been using his F-IN Sexy Edition(sixteenth picture) skin for years, and it replaces the face and body. It was working like a charm on my desktop PC. But when I moved my Sims 3 stuff on my laptop, the one I'm currently playing on, his skin was just showing on my female Sims' bodies. I've even tried testing with a couple of skins that just replace the EA face only. I'm thinking it has something to do with the face, at least for my females. For my male Sims, it's kinda iffy i.e. like yesterday, I tried the same thing with my guy Sim and his skin wasn't showing up in its entirety in CAS (custom face, EA body), however when I get into Live mode the entire skin is showing up properly.

The fact that I can't, for beans, figure out what is causing the problem is bothering me more than the problem itself, haha!
Alchemist
#12 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 8:56 PM
You said that after he factory reset you used one of your created sims from the library. So does that mean that after the reset you transferred the Library folder back into the resetted Sims 3 folder? Have you tested the game without the original library folder, with just an empty library folder? Just that sometimes there are extra things that can lurk inside those .sim files.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 11th Jan 2017 at 11:31 PM
You said that after he factory reset you used one of your created sims from the library. So does that mean that after the reset you transferred the Library folder back into the resetted Sims 3 folder? Have you tested the game without the original library folder, with just an empty library folder? Just that sometimes there are extra things that can lurk inside those .sim files.

You know, I think I did moved my Library back to the new folder. I am going to try it without the Library and I will let you know how it goes! I'm actually kinda excited right now. You've given me some hope!
Alchemist
#14 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 8:11 AM
You know, I think I did moved my Library back to the new folder. I am going to try it without the Library and I will let you know how it goes! I'm actually kinda excited right now. You've given me some hope!

I hope it works. This is truly a baffling problem, I must admit.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 11:13 PM
I hope it works. This is truly a baffling problem, I must admit.

I have bad news...it it's still happening. It was well worth a try, though. I won't be discouraged!

All I can think of now is just the patch thing. I'm not sure if being on 1.69 has anything to do with it. Usually, I just try not to worry about something like this if it's benign, but my curiosity is through the roof right now. I have been reading about where some people were having mod compatibility issues with this final patch. I was wondering, is it safe or at least possible to roll back a patch on a completely Origin-installed game? I have the 1.67 Superpatch at hand.

I know that sounds like a big leap o' faith for just a piece of CC, but I have an external HDD to back my game just in case.
Alchemist
#16 Old 12th Jan 2017 at 11:37 PM
I have bad news...it it's still happening. It was well worth a try, though. I won't be discouraged!

All I can think of now is just the patch thing. I'm not sure if being on 1.69 has anything to do with it. Usually, I just try not to worry about something like this if it's benign, but my curiosity is through the roof right now. I have been reading about where some people were having mod compatibility issues with this final patch. I was wondering, is it safe or at least possible to roll back a patch on a completely Origin-installed game? I have the 1.67 Superpatch at hand.

I know that sounds like a big leap o' faith for just a piece of CC, but I have an external HDD to back my game just in case.

Ah, that's too bad.

Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade with digital versions. You'll need base game, EP's + SP's as disc versions. See this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=570093
I'm currently hunting down disc versions of some of my digital versions right now, as well, so I can safely reinstall the game because I'm still on 1.67.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 12:39 AM
Ah, that's too bad.

Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade with digital versions. You'll need base game, EP's + SP's as disc versions. See this thread: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=570093
I'm currently hunting down disc versions of some of my digital versions right now, as well, so I can safely reinstall the game because I'm still on 1.67.

Aww, poo...I had a sick feeling about that...

I do have hard copies of my games, and just realized I been got them back long ago. I own all eleven EPs and two stuff packs. However, the catch is that I only own Late Night and Fast Lane Stuff as digital copies. I purchased the base game disc circa. 2010. Even if I install my hard copies and the two digital ones, I bet Origin would still put a gun to my head and make me update to 1.69 anyway. Or does all of the patching stuff depends on whether the base game is a hard copy or digital?

I ask too many questions. I promise to stop buggin' you after this.
Alchemist
#18 Old 13th Jan 2017 at 5:24 PM
Aww, poo...I had a sick feeling about that...

I do have hard copies of my games, and just realized I been got them back long ago. I own all eleven EPs and two stuff packs. However, the catch is that I only own Late Night and Fast Lane Stuff as digital copies. I purchased the base game disc circa. 2010. Even if I install my hard copies and the two digital ones, I bet Origin would still put a gun to my head and make me update to 1.69 anyway. Or does all of the patching stuff depends on whether the base game is a hard copy or digital?

I ask too many questions. I promise to stop buggin' you after this.

No, don't worry about it; you can ask me anything you want and as many times as you want. It's okay. Even PM me if you ever need to.

But, yeah, according the information every disc is needed. Origin must not be involved in the reinstall process in any way at all. I too have the original first release base game but unfortunately some of my EP's and SP's are digital versions. No fun. But I'm going get them from somewhere, even if I have buy them with full price.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 12:17 AM
Default Thank you!
No, don't worry about it; you can ask me anything you want and as many times as you want. It's okay. Even PM me if you ever need to.

But, yeah, according the information every disc is needed. Origin must not be involved in the reinstall process in any way at all. I too have the original first release base game but unfortunately some of my EP's and SP's are digital versions. No fun. But I'm going get them from somewhere, even if I have buy them with full price.

Yeah, that's true. It's pretty messed up how now Origin is pretty much mandatory or at least inevitable these days...No fun atoll for some of us.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and patience with me, Varpunen! I'll just have to bite my lip and play with EA's 'putty' skin for now.

Thank you so much!
Alchemist
#20 Old 15th Jan 2017 at 12:29 AM
Yeah, that's true. It's pretty messed up how now Origin is pretty much mandatory or at least inevitable these days...No fun atoll for some of us.

Anyway, thank you so much for your help and patience with me, Varpunen! I'll just have to bite my lip and play with EA's 'putty' skin for now.

Thank you so much!

I wish I could've done more but I hope you - or someone - finds a solution for you.
Lab Assistant
#21 Old 18th Jan 2017 at 1:11 PM
I've noticed that after i change my default replacement skin, the two skins (old and new) combines together, but it fixes itself after i save, quit the game and start again. But if i create new sim in CAS, the new skin shows up normally.

Can you link the skins you have problems with, so i can try it as well?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#22 Old 26th Jan 2017 at 5:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Samppuli
I've noticed that after i change my default replacement skin, the two skins (old and new) combines together, but it fixes itself after i save, quit the game and start again. But if i create new sim in CAS, the new skin shows up normally.

Can you link the skins you have problems with, so i can try it as well?

Sure! As my default, I was using Navetea's Face-IN Sexy Edition. On his site , it should be about the fifteenth or sixteenth picture, under the The Sims 3 skin PAGE 2 tab 2 tab. Here's the download link to the skin.

I'm gonna try what you did with saving and exiting the game and see if the same happens with me.
Lab Assistant
#23 Old 29th Jan 2017 at 9:30 PM
Sure! As my default, I was using Navetea's Face-IN Sexy Edition. On his site , it should be about the fifteenth or sixteenth picture, under the The Sims 3 skin PAGE 2 tab 2 tab. Here's the download link to the skin.

I'm gonna try what you did with saving and exiting the game and see if the same happens with me.

Alright, so i tried them skins, and they are working perfectly. If you haven't got it working yet, maybe you should try out some other skins too, and you could also download them from "reliable" sites, like this site for example to see if anything is showing like they should.

I can't tell if the problem is in your graphics card or something, because i know nothing about those things.

Though i've seen other people with similar problems, and they've reported that their mods started working suddenly when they started the game, so maybe you should just play the game and see if some day they actually work. I find it highly unlikely, since there's no logic behind it, but i bet you're willing to try anything at this point :p
Test Subject
#24 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 2:41 PM
The issue lies in folders and combined packs. If you have a folder that helps you separate different packages you can scratch that because skin won't show up in game. To resolve this just have all .package files in Packages folder. If you use CC magic you should avoid combining default skin with other packages. Have the other packages combined (ModBuild.package) in Cache - > Sets -> Default and leave the package with default skin on it's own in Packages then it will show up in game without 50/50 chances of it being either body being screwed up or face.
Top Secret Researcher
#25 Old 5th Aug 2021 at 4:18 PM
Even if someone were to read a thread that's 4 years old, my default skins are merged with other stuff in CC magic and it's not a problem.
Page 1 of 2