Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 17th Dec 2019 at 10:09 AM
Default WCIF: A mod to disable the penguin?
I've always been weirded out by the penguin in The Sims 2 for some reason.

I tried Neder's mod and every time the penguin tries to show up on the lot, an error message appears which is a bit annoying.

Does anyone know where I can find a "No Penguin" mod that doesn't throw errors?

Thank you for any help.
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 17th Dec 2019 at 10:49 AM
I believe you can stop it with the Visitor Controller. I do have the Pets EP installed, but most times I'd rather not have strays or the wolf so I set the VC to ban ALL critters and I never see the penguin.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 17th Dec 2019 at 7:58 PM
The Visitor Controller is a great mod to have, but you should get Midgethetree's updated and fixed version.

https://midgethetree.tumblr.com/pos...ws-toga-parties
Forum Resident
#4 Old 8th May 2021 at 6:20 AM
Quote: Originally posted by RoxEllen1965
The Visitor Controller is a great mod to have, but you should get Midgethetree's updated and fixed version.

Currently not available. Maybe if somebody lets her know the link has gone bad, she'll get around to fixing it.

The regular unmodded Visitor Controller is too heavy-handed and overrides any and all other antispawn hacks - I've had unexpected (i.e. new) Townies and Strays show up, and even that pesky Unsavory Charlatan which I had a mod for that kept him away - until the Visitor Controller disabled it.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#5 Old 8th May 2021 at 6:57 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Sims2Maven
Currently not available. Maybe if somebody lets her know the link has gone bad, she'll get around to fixing it.

The regular unmodded Visitor Controller is too heavy-handed and overrides any and all other antispawn hacks - I've had unexpected (i.e. new) Townies and Strays show up, and even that pesky Unsavory Charlatan which I had a mod for that kept him away - until the Visitor Controller disabled it.

Just click refresh. Simfile share often has issues, but it still works.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Forum Resident
#6 Old 9th May 2021 at 2:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
Just click refresh. Simfile share often has issues, but it still works.

Can you explain this? NoSuchKeyThe specified key does not exist.tx19b41679ec6f43999ec25-0060973e8712457/9bd3VUgUIet7DjKZ8xV5IqChw1T1tnPelZC0R5Y0dCkeWg2zHjrIOnVtJcW3XuXi

That's what happens when I click the "Download" button. Refresh or no refresh - in fact Refresh pops it up BEFORE clicking.
Alchemist
#7 Old 9th May 2021 at 3:26 AM
@Sims2Maven, I just downloaded Midge's latest update to VC a few days ago. Here's the post again:
And here's the direct simsfileshare link:
https://www.simfileshare.net/download/852165/
Perhaps your browser is redirecting you. A few weeks back I had problems with tumblr links. The "https://href.li/?" would get messed up and I had to add redirects for them. Perhaps something similar is happening to you. If so, try manually copying the link and if you see "https://href.li/?http://www" delete everything so it goes straight to "https://www".

"May the sunlight find you, thy days be long, thy winters kind, thy roots be strong." -Grand Oak Tree, DAO

XPTL Mod Archive | Change a Mod's Mesh into a CC Object | Increasing the Game Difficulty | Editing ACR 4 Your Age Mod
Bored? Read an unfinished legacy or sim story. | aka Kelyns | she/her
Forum Resident
#8 Old 9th May 2021 at 4:11 AM
Yep, that seems to have been the problem. Got there via the direct link, and I hope Midge's version is less ham-handed.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 19th May 2021 at 5:38 AM
Yep, that seems to have been the problem. Got there via the direct link, and I hope Midge's version is less ham-handed.

Regrettably, it wasn't. More mysteriously appearing NPCs, more trouble with characters who should have been banned (but the banning was overridden), and - worst of all - a hideously split born-in-game Child. I mean, his character file was split almost in half, and SimPE thinks he has "No Character Data".

That isn't supposed to happen, especially not with born-in-game Sims.
Forum Resident
#10 Old 21st May 2021 at 10:45 PM
Regarding the split-file thing, I found out that SimPE's tolerance for it is somewhere between 12 and 25 k on the short end. 12K and it doesn't even blink - but 26K and it throws the "No Character Data" tizzy. (Reverted the 'hood to a previous save, and am working my way back up.)
Just in case it's a memory-related issue, I purged all the unnecessary .JPG pix from my Downloads folder. (There were a lot of them.)

I would like to know how to tweak Midge's Visitor Controller, but its innards are highly intimidating.
Forum Resident
#11 Old 22nd May 2021 at 3:20 AM
Regarding the split-file thing, I found out that SimPE's tolerance for it is somewhere between 12 and 25 k on the short end. 12K and it doesn't even blink - but 26K and it throws the "No Character Data" tizzy. (Reverted the 'hood to a previous save, and am working my way back up.)
Just in case it's a memory-related issue, I purged all the unnecessary .JPG pix from my Downloads folder. (There were a lot of them.)

It's not a memory-related issue. It must be mod-related, but which mod(s)?

Had a pair of twin babies in the game, only slightly split (1k each, no problems with SimPE). Aged them up to toddlers, and the splits JUMPED! (573/476 and 593/39) SimPE blew a gasket. (Yes they can be opened manually and tweaked that way, but it's a royal pain in the tush and you really, really have to know what you're doing.)

Am going to run an experiment to see if what I suspect is indeed the case....
Forum Resident
#12 Old 22nd May 2021 at 5:15 AM Last edited by Sims2Maven : 22nd May 2021 at 5:54 AM.
It's worse than I thought. Something has gone very bad, very deep inside the game.

Made several test neighborhoods, each time stripping more mods and content out of the Downloads folder until it was down to the bare minimum...and still, still, always, every single Sim created by the game was split.

The only thing that DID stop it was an enforced from-the-top refresh of the game...and where does that leave everything I've done for the last three years?
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#13 Old 22nd May 2021 at 2:11 PM
Made several test neighborhoods, each time stripping more mods and content out of the Downloads folder until it was down to the bare minimum...and still, still, always, every single Sim created by the game was split.
Are you using anything like a default replacement that overrides the sim templates? Could cause splits in NPCs.
Forum Resident
#14 Old 22nd May 2021 at 4:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
Are you using anything like a default replacement that overrides the sim templates? Could cause splits in NPCs.

No, it wasn't anything that obvious. At some time within the last few months, my Tools folder (where I keep SimPE and various other utilities) had somehow gotten inside my games folder, and the game was reading a SimPE plugin it shouldn't have been able to see - and that was frying its little pea brain and causing it to create split characters. Moved the Tools folder up one level and out of the games folder, and so far so good.
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#15 Old 22nd May 2021 at 5:34 PM
Oh dear, glad you fixed it, hope your hood isn't too messed up!
Forum Resident
#16 Old 22nd May 2021 at 8:09 PM
There's just the two very messed-up toddlers (poor kids), and an easily ignorable Vacation NPC (that one's not even badly split, just chipped a little).

I'm pondering whether to revert the hood again and re-generate the toddlers. Prognosis isn't good for continuing to play them, based on what's been going on so far.