Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

[New and Improved 9/11/21] Functioning Well - and Off-Grid Plumbing!

by zoe22 Posted 7th Feb 2020 at 6:00 PM - Updated 10th Nov 2021 at 3:01 PM by zoe22

97 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 58 Feedback Posts, 38 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 2 of 4
Senior Moderator
staff: senior moderator
Original Poster
#26 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 4:40 PM
Quote: Originally posted by dinadine
one question though, if i have this installed i know it only affects the active sim but, does this also means if i play multiple families then each family i move to will need buckets of water?

If you've started the save before you installed the mod, then existing objects won't have the new interactions attached. So if you play with a new household in the world and their objects are from pre mod install, then I don't think they will need buckets to use them. But if you buy new objects, or the save is made after installing, then yes, your sims will need buckets to use the objects with replaced interactions. Hope this helps explain it
Forum Resident
THANKS POST
#27 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 6:24 PM
I have so much admiration for this kind of mod, this is unexpected and functional still in 2020. You made my day <3 Thank you so much for sharing your modding talents with us.
Lab Assistant
#28 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 7:04 PM Last edited by Lilithmae1231 : 8th Feb 2020 at 7:31 PM.
So, I placed the well on my lot and had my sim collect water from it no problem, but oddly enough none of the interactions are actually using up the buckets of water. My sim used the shower, sink and toilet all without the units of water I collected changing at all.
The interactions where grayed out before she collected water, though, so that part is working fine for me.

Edit: Okay, I sold and bought a new shower and sink and that fixed it. Weird. Maybe it was because I placed the well after I had placed the shower and sink? *shrug*

I need an adult!! Oh, wait, I am an adult...

I want a refund.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#29 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 7:27 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Lilithmae1231
So, I placed the well on my lot and had my sim collect water from it no problem, but oddly enough none of the interactions are actually using up the buckets of water. My sim used the shower, sink and toilet all without the units of water I collected changing at all.
The interactions where grayed out before she collected water, though, so that part is working fine for me.

Oh dear...
Were the buckets in her inventory or in the barrels?
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#30 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 7:41 PM
Edit: Okay, I sold and bought a new shower and sink and that fixed it. Weird. Maybe it was because I placed the well after I had placed the shower and sink? *shrug*

Glad that sorted it out. I don't think that it would be because the well wasn't placed first, as the objects' interactions aren't affected by the well, but the pure script part of the mod. Then again I'm not 100% sure
Did you start your save before or after you installed? And if before, did you place the sink and shower before or after installing?
Lab Assistant
#31 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 7:42 PM
Okay, I forgot to replace the toilet so I tried it without collecting any water and it worked as if I didn't have the mod. Sold it and placed a new one and the flush interaction was grayed out properly. It was a new save after installing the mod and an empty lot, btw. XD

I need an adult!! Oh, wait, I am an adult...

I want a refund.
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#32 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 7:48 PM
Okay, I forgot to replace the toilet so I tried it without collecting any water and it worked as if I didn't have the mod. Sold it and placed a new one and the flush interaction was grayed out properly. It was a new save after installing the mod and an empty lot, btw. XD

So it only worked when you added the well to the lot and then replaced the objects? That's weird... I'll have another look at it soon
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#33 Old 8th Feb 2020 at 10:53 PM
This mod is amazing! I like the storage feature, and in case no one else has said, Sandy over at Around the Sims has a bunch of base game friendly storage options! Not sure if her water well for the garden set is one, but I'm sure either she can mod it or we can use transmorgifier to do that!
Instructor
#34 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 9:27 AM
Hi@ Just a small scripting suggestion, to allow only some lots in the world to require the replace interactions (i.e. requiring buckets of water before use), while some other lots do not at the same time, would you consider adding a scripting check for presence of your well doing a "foreach" lot check in the world on loading of the world before replacing the interactions globally? So that some lots are "offgrid" but some aren't

Alternatively you might consider that adding a check that the conditions are only replaced if there's a well on the lot.

Just so in case you want, you can look at my petrol mod to see how it is done.

I haven't been modding so long so I'm afraid I can't be more technical, but that's as far as I can rmb
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#35 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 11:20 AM
@SimsMatthew thank you for the suggestion!
My concern about non active lots being off grid, is that non active sims won't autonomously collect water, and so they won't be able to wash dishes, shower, put themselves out if they're on fire etc. Though I'm not sure what inactive sims even get up to, like do they actually cook food and get themselves set on fire?

The other thing is that when I replace the interactions, I change the interaction definitions of the existing interactions rather than removing the original interaction and adding a new one to the objects. I'm not sure if this is possible to do for only objects on specific lots.

One thing i might be able to do, is to to make it so you can disable/enable the mod in game, so the sims you are currently playing can either be on or off grid without needing to uninstall the mod. Not sure if this would work, but I could try it out

Anyway your petrol mod looks awesome! Can't believe I haven't seen it before :D
Space Pony
THANKS POST
#36 Old 9th Feb 2020 at 1:28 PM Last edited by Battery : 9th Feb 2020 at 5:40 PM.
Your mod turned out great congratulations, i wonder what your next ideas will entail

(you can tell me right now so that i can steal them early ).
Instructor
#37 Old 12th Feb 2020 at 7:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by zoe22
@SimsMatthew thank you for the suggestion!
My concern about non active lots being off grid, is that non active sims won't autonomously collect water, and so they won't be able to wash dishes, shower, put themselves out if they're on fire etc. Though I'm not sure what inactive sims even get up to, like do they actually cook food and get themselves set on fire?

The other thing is that when I replace the interactions, I change the interaction definitions of the existing interactions rather than removing the original interaction and adding a new one to the objects. I'm not sure if this is possible to do for only objects on specific lots.

One thing i might be able to do, is to to make it so you can disable/enable the mod in game, so the sims you are currently playing can either be on or off grid without needing to uninstall the mod. Not sure if this would work, but I could try it out

Anyway your petrol mod looks awesome! Can't believe I haven't seen it before :D

Don't quote me but I recall that if you actually hide the EA set of interactions (i.e. the set that doesn't look at whether you have the buckets of water), instead of removing them, since there are pre-existing ITUNs for them, autonomous sims (non-active) still can well-use them. You can just choose to "hide" them for your active sims. If you want you can look at my Coffee strings mod for an example. Non-active sims can autonomously brew coffee on their own (without using my version of choosing the coffee ingredients), but this action is now hidden for active sims so active sims must pick through the ingredients. In the same vein, you can copy off the original interactions for your new ones with the check for water added. This resolves the active/non-active issue.

Re the disable/enable, my proposal is to do it by a lot-based check of the Water Well object so it's not global (some lots in a world may be off-grid, and others may be not). But just my thoughts.

Again hope this helps
Lab Assistant
#38 Old 16th Feb 2020 at 12:44 PM
I exclusively use all-in-one toilets in the games where I'd use this mod, so I hope you reconsider about linking them.

Living high contrast
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#39 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 10:43 AM
Quote: Originally posted by floopyboo
I exclusively use all-in-one toilets in the games where I'd use this mod, so I hope you reconsider about linking them.

sure!
Test Subject
#40 Old 17th Feb 2020 at 7:39 PM
I've always wanted a mod like that! But would it be possible to have some option on the pie menu so that we could choose whether the shower will use the system or not? Thanks for the mod !!
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#41 Old 19th Feb 2020 at 3:03 PM
Quote: Originally posted by monicki1274
I've always wanted a mod like that! But would it be possible to have some option on the pie menu so that we could choose whether the shower will use the system or not? Thanks for the mod !!

Unfortunately, I don't think this is possible. The way it works is that it replaces the interactions themselves, rather than interactions attached to specific objects - so it's kind of an all or nothing situation. One thing I am thinking of doing is making a second version of my mod, and to have specific "off-grid" objects that are the only ones that will need buckets of water from the well.
Lab Assistant
#42 Old 21st Feb 2020 at 11:39 AM
This is neat! I only recently looked at the well on my sim's yard and wished it could function... What a timing!

But as SimsMatthew suggested, I would also like it to be possible to choose whether the mod effects are in use, for example, if there is a well in the lot, then the watering system is affected, and if not, then everything works as usual without the need of any water buckets or restrictions. I play rotationally in so many different households and lots in one game save / world, that this mod would be most thrilling for some and completely cumbersome for others (like sims living in a high rise apartment building).
Test Subject
#43 Old 23rd Feb 2020 at 10:23 AM
Question: Is it possible to add a master switch of this mod to the mailbox? I have a MTS mod that can restrict the use of all cell phones in town with a switch on the mailbox. I think it would be great to do the same for this mod so that a pre-modern living like a island-colonizing save of mine can have progression on technological advancement.

I have high hopes for this mod. The restriction can be expanded to electricity with the mailbox switch I mentioned, and gives us the true "Off-the-Grid" lifestyle we've been waiting for.
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#44 Old 3rd Mar 2020 at 10:19 PM
So happy for this mod!!! ^.^
Instructor
THANKS POST
#45 Old 8th Mar 2020 at 3:18 PM Last edited by AngieMFAK77 : 8th Mar 2020 at 7:21 PM.
I love this mod, thank you!
I noticed that it overrides this mod though which is sad cos now I gotta choose
http://modthesims.info/d/518284/unr...baths-tyae.html
Senior Moderator
Original Poster
#46 Old 10th Mar 2020 at 8:04 PM
@AngieMFAK77 you don't have to choose! All you need to do is edit the ITUN file in my mod's package file for the custom sponge bath interaction to change who can use the interaction
Instructor
#47 Old 11th Mar 2020 at 2:20 AM
@AngieMFAK77 you don't have to choose! All you need to do is edit the ITUN file in my mod's package file for the custom sponge bath interaction to change who can use the interaction

AAAHHH! So I downloaded S3PE (It's been years). Deleted out the need trait inappropriate with "None" -
Update: and can now sponge bath requiring water!!
Thank you x

MKATSONP is a Sims 3 Medieval Comedy Drama on Youtube and Tumblr
Lab Assistant
#48 Old 15th Mar 2020 at 10:55 AM
sure!

Thanks for adding this functionality.

Living high contrast
Test Subject
THANKS POST
#49 Old 28th Mar 2020 at 7:28 PM
Wow this mod is so cool and unique. Thanks so much!!
Lab Assistant
THANKS POST
#50 Old 4th Apr 2020 at 8:49 AM
This is great for medieval game
Page 2 of 4