Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#326 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 11:26 PM
I just found Buggybooz's website. The Buggybooz folder in my Downloads now has an awful lot of files in it..... :-)
Advertisement
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#327 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 11:28 PM
I don't frequent many blogs or really any cc sites except here, so this contest has been great for me. Really should have checked out BuggyBooz blog way sooner though concsdering I have most of her stuff from here. lol
#328 Old 15th Oct 2012 at 11:32 PM
I was going to say, the Nooks and Niches sets really are just unbelievably awesome. I was hesitant about adding it too, I'm always afraid of breaking the crap out of my game with too much CC. I took the plunge though, and once I started playing around with all the pieces on a practice lot, I never looked back. I did wind up yanking out a bunch of CC to ease my mind, I agonized a little but I think it's one of those sets that is completely worth the sacrifice because of how versatile it is.

EDIT: I didn't even realize Liv's columns were the Buggybooz ones! I downloaded some stone columns and arch thingies from the Sims 2 smithy site, I think they were conversions from Skyrim or Oblivion, I thought they came from that set!

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#329 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 12:59 AM Last edited by Phaenoh : 16th Oct 2012 at 1:16 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by HugeLunatic
Phae - Both lamps are from IKEA.
Seriously? I have that stuff pack and I've never seen that lamp before.

Quote: Originally posted by jones7659
Phae, what do you mean about the extra row of tiles? I'm confused...
Nevermind, I double checked it and I'm just crazy.

Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
As we are doing Pleasantview I've been trying to guess which houses we are going to do. :D
That's all I've been able to do, and I'm pretty sure I have it all figured out. Assuming we aren't doing duplicate houses (like another of these awful beachy modern things) then there really are only 5 or 6 houses for jones to pick the 5 houses from (app and 4 rounds). There are more empty houses than that, but staying inside the lowest budget of $40k reduces that number further.
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#330 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 1:17 AM
joandsarah and Phae, I'm interested to see if you guys get them right, so let me know
Test Subject
#331 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 2:41 AM
Thanks for the feedback! It was super helpful I want to go back and change this entry, but I think i'll leave it as is otherwise I'll over think it haha.
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#332 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 2:42 AM
Phaenoh, I figured the same-that there would be no more beachy modern houses which only leaves so many. I'm fairly sure one larger one I noticed will be included which is why I chose the Jones family for this round as I think this is the smallest house that jones has chosen. Of course I could be terribly wrong.

jones, I will have to take note of what each house is called.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Theorist
#333 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 3:07 AM
I notice that the roof of this house is (for some reason) made of the same slanted wood decking material as the actual deck. Can we change that to some other roofing material?

And can we change the flooring on the deck, say to a different wood, or to a stone or something?

esmeiolanthe's Live Journal and Tumblr
Most recent story update: Fuchs That! on 2/21/15
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#334 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 3:12 AM
I think we all did Esme. I changed mine to brown stone.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#335 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 3:38 AM
You can always change the roof texture, flat or pitched Same for decking and foundation.
Lab Assistant
#336 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 5:21 AM Last edited by Lucia940 : 16th Oct 2012 at 7:21 AM.

EDIT: I need to retract my statement that Maxis is all men. It was brought to my attention that women work there too. However..... I will not retract my no common sense statement. Maxis did a horrible job on the homes in Sims 2. Be they men, women or both. Men is however all I saw for Sim City 5. The links are below. Also some very interesting info on Maxis. They are owned by EA and they had nothing to do with TS3. They did however bring us Sims 1 & 2.

EDIT: For the curious and those who would find this information useful:

https://www.facebook.com/SimCity

EA acquired Maxis: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maxis

The face book page has them sitting down and talking. You can see what I saw. There were no women. I am sure women work for them, but when Maxis showed up here, it was men only. I am certain there were women who worked on sims 1 & 2 and sim city games, but all that showed up here were gentlemen.

Maxis was not involved in any part of Sims 3 as they were working on Spore. It tells you this in the wikipedia on Maxis. URL above.

Maxis is a sub-division of EA. They are a California based company. Perhaps those seeking employment should apply to EA and not Maxis since Maxis is owned by EA and have been since 1997. Wiki: Electronic Arts (EA) completed its acquisition of Maxis on July 28, 1997. When EA purchased Maxis, they also purchased the rights to the sims. Will Wright, co founder of Maxis, created the sims.
Screenshots
Doing all the things, and *mostly* not failing.
retired moderator
#337 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 5:53 AM
I'm fairly sure that Sim City is at a different studio location than the Sims 2 and 3 team. I've applied to Maxis as a Concept Artist for Sims and I'm waiting to hear back. I do know that they do have women on their team.
#338 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 6:59 AM
I don't think ALL dudes are bad at making functional houses, some of the best lots I've seen were done up by the fellas. I think CERTAIN dudes are bad at it (and maybe a bunch of them work at Maxis, haha).

My other half is one of those dudes. He's not an avid simmer by any stretch, he just played it because a former roommate left it installed on a computer he still had. He just started playing with it for the hell of it. When we were first hanging out, he told me he had played and so naturally I wanted to see his sims and his houses.

Seriously, they were all straight squares with stuff randomly crammed into them, but all of them had the big screen television. Ugliest random wallpapers, all the doors and windows were the ones that show up first in the catalog, and one of them didn't even have an actual bathroom, just a toilet and shower plonked down in the corner. It was like a blind man on crack had gone wild.

To this day he calls my houses "All fancy pants", ahaha.

"Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you, amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien
Lab Assistant
#339 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 7:45 AM
Quote: Originally posted by GlorianaGlowbee
I don't think ALL dudes are bad at making functional houses, some of the best lots I've seen were done up by the fellas. I think CERTAIN dudes are bad at it (and maybe a bunch of them work at Maxis, haha).

My other half is one of those dudes. He's not an avid simmer by any stretch, he just played it because a former roommate left it installed on a computer he still had. He just started playing with it for the hell of it. When we were first hanging out, he told me he had played and so naturally I wanted to see his sims and his houses.

Seriously, they were all straight squares with stuff randomly crammed into them, but all of them had the big screen television. Ugliest random wallpapers, all the doors and windows were the ones that show up first in the catalog, and one of them didn't even have an actual bathroom, just a toilet and shower plonked down in the corner. It was like a blind man on crack had gone wild.

To this day he calls my houses "All fancy pants", ahaha.

LOL!

I don't think all guys are bad at building houses, just those who work for Maxis. lol
Field Researcher
#340 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 10:52 AM
I just noticed Jones spelt Pleasantview wrong in her contest header thing...

Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#341 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 12:43 PM
Not nice to notice my spelling errors Especially in a picture I'm not even going to bother to fix, lol.
Field Researcher
#342 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 2:14 PM Last edited by MAB-2000 : 16th Oct 2012 at 6:09 PM.
Default Round1 - Entry
Finally..., I've taken the pictures! Hope I didn't make the same mistakes as in the application house. This house is made for Jones family, and I'm sure he'll like it.
Modern and in budget (the 40000 limit was a pain in the...cash!)

Front

Time to finish my astronomy video. BB

EDIT: I've listed the CC I used here
Lab Assistant
#343 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 2:26 PM
@MAB-2000, I really loved your entry I have a soft spot for bricks. Do you know where you got that laptop from? I've had some, but they weren't Free Time-friendly so I removed them.

By the way, just in this first round I've already download so much CC from the sites and blogs you mentioned and suggested, I bet my game will take a full hour to load by the end of this contest
Lab Assistant
#344 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 3:40 PM
I am extremely sorry for my late reply for the feedback.
I appreciate all judges for their instructions, do's and don'ts. I wil give my best go accordingly as they have suggested. And might even try something new.
Thank you.
Field Researcher
#345 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 5:27 PM
This contest looks like so much fun! You guys have all done a fantastic job redecorating with the limited budget, I almost re-installed TS2 so I could participate ( haven't had TS2 installed since TS3 came out) >.> . I may actually re-install it for the second and third incarnations of this contest. Would love to have a contest like this for TS3 ^^. Anyway, just wanted to pop in and say how much fun I've had following this contest, everyone is doing so great. :D

(I hope it's ok to post in this thread, I looked through the rules for the forum and didn't find anything that said you couldn't. Of course I could be totally blind. Feel free to delete my post if it's deemed inappropriate.)
Field Researcher
#346 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 5:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lipe2k
Do you know where you got that laptop from? I've had some, but they weren't Free Time-friendly so I removed them.

http://www.modthesims.info/download.php?t=306553

Quote: Originally posted by naiyasfury
(I hope it's ok to post in this thread, I looked through the rules for the forum and didn't find anything that said you couldn't. Of course I could be totally blind. Feel free to delete my post if it's deemed inappropriate.)

Feel free to follow
Lab Assistant
#347 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 9:02 PM
Right, joandsarah they have to stay in the same spot.

Can we run them the other way if they stay in the sames tiles as originally?
Toaster Strudel Addict
retired moderator
Original Poster
#348 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 9:22 PM
Sorry, no. That would be a pretty major construction in real life, lol. I know those darned stairs are probably the biggest challenge of this house. The placement is just plain idiotic!
Lab Assistant
#349 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 9:56 PM
Sorry, no. That would be a pretty major construction in real life, lol. I know those darned stairs are probably the biggest challenge of this house. The placement is just plain idiotic!

Ok, thanks I was worried about that, but will just have to make do! News flash~ maybe all of us creative people should help design some of the homes for the next Sims base and EP games. Maybe not all, but a contest would be nice to see~
Lab Assistant
#350 Old 16th Oct 2012 at 11:48 PM

I really hate those stairs and where they are located. I tried to ignore them when I was re-doing my house last night. They are a nightmare. I forgot how much of a pain these tiny Maxis houses really are with sideways doors and stairs going somewhere but doing it in an ugly way. lol

Page 14 of 45