Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
The ModFather
retired moderator
#226 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 1:53 AM
TimSimser - I wans't clear in my request: I need the .OBJ file (the one you are trying to import in SimPE and gives the parsing error).
BTW, the "Notepad" is the text editor that comes with Windows. Any text editor can open the .obj files, because they are just plain text.

Refika - UVmapper site seems working fine in this moment...

I've finally started my Journal. Information only, no questions.

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

I *DON'T* accept requests, sorry.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#227 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 2:07 PM Last edited by TimSimser : 12th Nov 2006 at 3:12 PM.
owk I'm sorry I thought that second one was the one but I've upload the object file now (I thing )

And why do I get this shadows in my chair? (I've made that curves with extruding)

Attached files:
File Type: zip  Chandelier Finished.zip (176.5 KB, 5 downloads) - View custom content
The ModFather
retired moderator
#228 Old 12th Nov 2006 at 11:45 PM
TimSimser, your mesh had several problems.

1) It contained "degenerated" faces, i.e. irregular faces that couldn't be read by SimPE (hence the error while importing). This was fixed with UVmapper Pro (menu Tool / Facets / Degenerated)

2) The mesh was not triangulated: before exporting the mesh from Wings, go to "Face selection mode" (third little pyramid from the left) and select the whole mesh; then right-click and choose Tesselate/Triangulate. If you don't, SimPE will read the mesh, but it will be invisible in game.

3) After these fixes, the mesh still had more than 3500 vertices and more than 7000 facets: way too many! I've reduced the number of facets to 3500, with a very little decay in the detail (check by yourself: in game you won't notice any difference). this "reduction" has been performed by the DirectX tool included in Milkshape.

4) The mesh contained 5 groups: 3 "fixture", a "globe" and a "bulb"; the three "fixture" had to be combined together (in Wings, select the mesh you want to combine, go to "Model selection mode", i.e. the last pyramid on the right, right-click and choose "Combine").

5) All the group names ended with "_default", or "_default2", ecc.. This happense because Wings, by default, appends the name of the material to the mesh, while exporting. The next time you export an OBJ, select the menu Export / Wavefront, and then click on the little square next to the word "Wavefront": an option panel will pop up, and you have to *deselect* the option "one group per material". Wings will remember this setting for all the future exports.

I'm attaching your original mesh, fixed; and also the same mesh with the lower vertex/face count. I'm giving you both, so that you can compare them; but don't post your chandelier with the huge mesh, it's definitely too big for the average PC specs.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  Chandelier_Fixed+Low.zip (348.0 KB, 4 downloads) - View custom content

My latest activity: CEP 9.2.0! - AnyGameStarter 2.1.1 (UPD) - Scriptorium v.2.2f - Photo & Plaques hide with walls - Magazine Rack (UPD) - Animated Windows Hack (UPD) - Custom Instrument Hack (UPD) - Drivable Cars Without Nightlife (UPD) - Courtesy Lights (FIX) - Custom Fence-Arches - Painting-TV - Smarter Lights (UPD)

Lab Assistant
#229 Old 13th Nov 2006 at 8:53 PM
thank you verry much numenor you've helped me a lot.

A little question again why do I get shadows in my object when I extrude them ( and are there better free programs than wings 3d (where I don't get these shadows)

The ModFather
retired moderator
#230 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 1:48 AM
Shadows? Please post a screenshot (bigger than the previous one, lol! )

Lab Assistant
#231 Old 14th Nov 2006 at 8:03 PM

that stripes/shadows they move if you move the screen and they're supposed to be plain but they aren't at all!

and another thing
I downloaded some object from a site to look how it's all constructed and sometimes there are blue things in wings 3d what is that where is it for and how do I make them?

(I hope I'm not ignorant with all my questions )
Test Subject
#232 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 9:26 PM
Hey, I followed your Tut and it was really helpful, But A li'l problem occurd.
When I opend the game to use my file, The Object is Invisible.

Please could you send me the way to fix this by PM AND as a post on here so that It can help other people.

Thanks though, It was a good tut.

-Merzitar-
Instructor
#233 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 9:59 PM
Quote: Originally posted by merzitar
Please could you send me the way to fix this by PM AND as a post on here so that It can help other people.

If you think you can only be helped with a PM just copy the answer of this thread and send it with a PM to you (it works, I send from time to time "do not forget this" PMs to myself :D)
And to fix the problem... I guess there are several possibilities which cause invisible meshes (a double in use GUID, several subsets with the same names, linking troubles within the package because of naming troubles in the SHPE or CRES etc. etc. etc.) so if Numenor knows one 100% working fix for every case I'd like to know it, too. (@ Numenor: this would be not just a clever but even brilliant solution :D)

Merzitar, some more infos or even the package could help helping

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
The ModFather
retired moderator
#234 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 10:38 PM
TimSimser - Again, I think that it's a problem of smoothing: unfortunately, the smoothing applied by Wings is not correctly recognized by other software...
Anyway, try this:

1) If you have UVmapper PRO, then it's easy: load the mesh, select the menu Tools / Vertices / Weld and then the menu Tools / Normal / Smooth (us a low value, I'd say about 35-40). Then save the mesh and load it into SimPE.

2) If you use UVmapper Classic, then you don't have a smoothing feature; you have to select the menu Rdit / Tools / Weld vertices and save the mesh. Then load it again into Wings, select the whole mesh (be sure to be in Model Selection mode, i.e. the last pyramid), right-click and select the little box next to the entry "Auto Smooth"; choose a low value (about 35-40). Export the mesh, loas it in Uvmapper and save it again. Then load the mesh in SimPE.

As for the "blue things", can they be actually "blue faces", i.e. parts of the mesh painted in blue? Those are "hole" faces, i.e. faces that exist in the mesh, but are invisible outside the 3D editor. If you select one of them, you will read in the upper left corner: "material hole".

Merzitar - Read this article:
Modding InfoCenter - Invisible and flashing blue custom objects: Check List.
It's not exactly recent (it was posted back in Feb 2005) but it's still valid

Khaibit - Take a look at that article, you too: that is my personal idea of a check list!

Instructor
#235 Old 15th Nov 2006 at 11:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Numenor
that is my personal idea of a check list!
Yes, I noticed - that's why I want to improve checklists I wanted to copy&paste everything, add tons of text, go on using the SimPE CEP link ( BTW version 5 works perfectly :D) and offer this checklist as 'written by me'... Now you got me...
Your checklist doesn't work for the drum kit trouble so it's just a clever solution... :D

Lab Assistant
#236 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 2:37 PM
problem again
when I try to reimport it in wings 3d there doesn't appear anything
(i'm not using UV mapper Pro)

so is it possible that I export my object from wings to blender and that I do something at blender with the autosmooth (or something like that) and then to uv mapper classic so that my problem is gone.

So my question is this possible and what do I have to do at Blender.
The ModFather
retired moderator
#237 Old 26th Nov 2006 at 7:31 PM
I can't answer to your question: I don't know Blender or how it manages files exported by Wings. Few persons, I think, know and use both Wings and Blender...

I know that sometimes Wings can't load an OBJ file because it has some kind of problem; but usually, loading and saving the file with UVmapper (even the Classic version) fixes the OBJ format, so that Wings can load it.

Forum Resident
#238 Old 27th Nov 2006 at 11:20 PM
Cheers!, this has been a great resource of ideas and very useful to a 'Newbie' TS-2 mesher like myself - thanks to all involved!...

To all, of the very talented MTS-2 creative types - my sincere thanks for taking the time to create/upload/share...
Lab Assistant
#239 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 7:19 AM
i can do everything up to no.12 but when i click object data nothing happens. in fact nothing i press in the resource tree opens. ??HELP????
Corrosively Delightful
retired moderator
#240 Old 29th Nov 2006 at 7:28 AM
Blacksmith2, You need to click the Object Data not only in the resource tree, but again in the window to the right, the resource list, and make sure you are in the plugin view.

If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right.
SO much to do and so many other things to distract me.
Test Subject
#241 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 1:17 AM
Default wing 3D
Anyone have the 3rd part of the tutorial..
The ModFather
retired moderator
#242 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 8:18 AM
The "3rd part" doesn't exist; I don't know what it was supposed to explain, but anyway when you have finished parts 1 & 2, your job is done.

Mod_bv, before moving away from MTS2, appended this "3rd part" to the original post:

Quote: Originally posted by mod_bv
Part 3: You Win!!
45. Put the PACKAGE file into the Downloads folder. You win! :puppy:
46. Use the item.
47. Hit the thank you button down there.
48. Ask Delphy why llamas can't talk.
49. Tell 5 friends about llamas.
50. You WIN!!!!

So, there is no real 3rd part of this tutorial, because there is no need for it.

Instructor
#243 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 11:31 AM

Cool!
And what's the price?
Delphy better offers the answer in one site news message instead of answering again and again... :D

Indeed, this link is totally broken and well, is part 3 supposed to be about texturing? A kind of (confusing) "off topic" anyway, isn't it? There are tutorials available on MTS2 helping out, too.

mod_bv, maybe clarifying your text about part 3 (and link fixing) might be helpful, even more helpful than Numenor's... helpful comment Not as funny but well...

Test Subject
#244 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 1:08 PM
Its really great thanks...
but I just wanted to ask you?
In step 21 and 22, I have somthing wrong...
there is no box to check
The ModFather
retired moderator
#245 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 1:55 PM
Khaibit - Which link is broken? Anyway, Mod_bv is no longer available: this tutorial stops at part 2 -

Rami - A screenshot would help... You mean that in step 21, in the list of "Models", there are no models listed?

Instructor
#246 Old 16th Dec 2006 at 2:46 PM Last edited by Khaibit : 17th Dec 2006 at 10:57 PM. Reason: removed OT, should have been read
Maybe the option to mark *your profile* as N/A would be helpful to avoid talking to not longer used profiles would make sense At least talking to *noone* could be avoided That's strange.

So do you think editing again to avoid possible confusions would make sense? I mean I understood this part 3 as a texturing tutorial so it's another topic - am I the only confused one, as usual? :D
As it won't be continued anymore, this topic is finished and Mod_bv won't do it on his own... maybe your comment isn't helpful enough this time, just a good laugh but not "clear" to beginners???

I mean this link to his site - doesn't work for me.

Test Subject
#247 Old 26th Dec 2006 at 6:02 PM
Um... I need help... Where is the "End Table Folder" that you have to save the mesh in? I've been looking for it for a long time and I can't find it.
Test Subject
#248 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 11:29 PM
Nothing happens when i click on object workshop????
The ModFather
retired moderator
#249 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 2:04 AM
Try the menu: Tools -> Object Creation -> Object Workshop
Or simply use the shortcut CTRL+W

If nothing works, go to Extra -> Preferences -> SimPE Settings and click "Reset Layout"; then try again the Object Workshop icon / menu / shortcut.

Cellar Door: it's the folder where you saved your mesh, so you should know where it is...

Field Researcher
#250 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 7:04 AM Last edited by MissSimGameFan : 30th Dec 2006 at 3:15 PM.
The table mesh won't show up in Wings3D! It just shows that box!
I've imported the mesh several times and nothing works!
Screenshots
Page 10 of 18