Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Forum Resident
#176 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 4:25 AM
WOW! I still cant believe how big this thread has gotten! I am working on a couple more houses and will show you later

C.T.HOLKO88
Advertisement
Scholar
#177 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 7:14 PM Last edited by Fergie_F : 8th Sep 2013 at 10:26 AM.
This thread is certainly a big 'un.
So is this big ol' girl that I was working on ages ago. I've finally begun to appreciate the charms of my own native architecture, and so this house is going to be very English; hence why it has a Georgian front with a Victorian/Edwardian portion tacked on the back. The front Georgian half is very much like the vernacular architecture you find in the English countryside. That kind of design was very popular in the Georgian and Victorian era, and so it is quite timeless. Some of them are as new as the 1800s where as others are considerably older. Such was the Georgian way to 'Georgianize' existing tudor and medieval homes. Then the Victorians would do the same and tack their own style on the side. With this house though, I'm not really sure whether to have white-painted window surrounds, or sandstone window surrounds?
Screenshots
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#178 Old 7th Sep 2013 at 11:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergie_F
I could give a whole lecture on that house/film set, but instead I'll just share these links:
http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/ba...onialstreet.php
http://www.thestudiotour.com/ush/ba...eet_history.php
http://www.retroweb.com/universal_l..._to_beaver.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_httLnCZ-k
I once made a really good replica of the home in the Sims 2, but I've had to uninstall the game since then. I may make another attempt at it in sims 3, but that staircase was a nightmare. It was funny seeing EA's attempt at the house in Twinbrook. I recognised it instantly.

Thanks! I also used to read a lot about the set, but it was quite some time ago.
Alchemist
#179 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 11:41 AM
Fergus I think sandstone surrounds will do because that is/was very usual on any brick house anywhere in Europe.

If you remember me, I'm awesome!
#180 Old 8th Sep 2013 at 12:50 PM
I'm not sure, for red-bricked houses they either have white frames and white surrounds or just white frames without window surrounds because they are set back into the wall, like so:

The trouble is, I think that the white is a bit too bold/bright, and that sandstone isn't very typical of England. I think I'll do some more experimentation...
Alchemist
#181 Old 10th Sep 2013 at 4:48 PM
Hm. Then the only option I can think of right now is to make the windows a little darker white, not grey, just darker white so they don't appear too bright.
That annoys me on these windows, it's a shame that they turn out brighter than you want >.<

#182 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 11:28 AM
I'll just have to see what I can do...
Meanwhile, I was inspired by your big Victorian house to build another one of my own, except it ended up being on the beach...

I was then inspired by your Sixties themed lots to build something from that era in England, and so i bring you Post-War Modernism in England:

I've also been inspired by the architecture in the world Volvenom has been building, except I am going to go for a 1930's feel:

And then here's a random Craftsman Style home that I started a while back, although it kind of has a Georgian twist...
Alchemist
#183 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 11:45 AM Last edited by Johnny_Bravo : 11th Sep 2013 at 2:45 PM.
Wow, they all look really nice. I like the Georgian/Craftsman house. What HEX is the green? I also like the Beach Victorian in white, which gives it a fresh look

Edit:
When you look at the craftsman from the front, it looks like the right chimney is higher.

#184 Old 11th Sep 2013 at 9:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Johnny_Bravo
Wow, they all look really nice. I like the Georgian/Craftsman house. What HEX is the green? I also like the Beach Victorian in white, which gives it a fresh look

Edit:
When you look at the craftsman from the front, it looks like the right chimney is higher.

I'll check the HEX next time I play that world.
Hmm... I'll have to redo that chimney. I don't know about you, but I've been having a few troubles with chimneys in my game. They have minds of their own as to how tall they want to be. The beach house also shows this issue. One moment they're all the same height and then once I have repainted it one of them grows significantly. They must be playing 'Grandmother's Footsteps' with the sky or something... Otherwise it could be some kind of chimney conspiracy
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#185 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Fergie_F
I've finally begun to appreciate the charms of my own native architecture, and so this house is going to be very English; hence why it has a Georgian front with a Victorian/Edwardian portion tacked on the back.

I've always wanted to create a bulgarian revival style house on The Sims, but it doesn't work out when I try. I think that the architecture is very specific and there aren't enough elements for it in The Sims.

This blog has some nice photos of such buildings - click.
Scholar
#186 Old 12th Sep 2013 at 7:54 PM
I'm never going to be able to afford to visit all these wonderful places...

As someone said recently, the game's content does seem to be orientated towards the western/American market. Luckily for me, English architecture isn't too difficult to achieve, but the quirkiness and character of older homes is very difficult to achieve.
Forum Resident
#187 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 4:00 AM
I have so many ideas in my head for building houses, and so much I want to do! I hardly have the time...scratch that...I am so tired actually! I work 2 jobs so I have no time! lol

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#188 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 4:03 AM
oh and Fergie I love the Beach Victorian in white, it gives a fresh look, And your Craftsman/Georgian looks good; I like the difference in height with the chimneys. It gives the house more of a cozy feeling!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#189 Old 15th Sep 2013 at 9:28 PM
Here is the Kitchen and floor plans of my TOWNHOUSE:
I might need a little help with color.
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#190 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 6:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by TudorMan23
I might need a little help with color.

It looks good. I'd suggest maybe lightening the dark ornamentation on the cabinets, or darkening the wood to work with the dark ornamentation? I like the tiles on the backsplash and the flooring colours.
Alchemist
#191 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 7:18 PM
I agree with fergie about making the ornamentation a little lighter. I'd also choose a different, brighter metal for the stove.

I found something on the webz:

Did my try on it

I got some paycontent (Windows and doors )definately 100% legal from the fucked up rival site. I actually really like these. Sadly I can't upload the house
Screenshots

#192 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 7:46 PM
I agree with fergie about making the ornamentation a little lighter. I'd also choose a different, brighter metal for the stove.

I found something on the webz:

Did my try on it

I got some paycontent (Windows and doors )definately 100% legal from the fucked up rival site. I actually really like these. Sadly I can't upload the house

Wow, the house is really great and it deserves to be uploaded. Maybe if you change the windows the moderators in MTS will consider to upload the house.
Scholar
#193 Old 17th Sep 2013 at 8:54 PM
fucked up rival site
That's not how we spell The Sims Resource now is it? lol. *In all honesty there are some great creations there, so it's not that bad.
The house looks great though. Other than changing the windows, I'd suggest changing the wall covering above the bay windows. Instead of those shingles, I'd go for a plain wall and use a shingle pattern. Like I've done here with my re-Victorianisation of a house from Sunset Valley:

But other than that, I agree with gogolinopz, it really does look worth uploading.

While I've not had internet access I've been working on a house which is inspired by a house near me in Essex and also by listening to Florence + The Machine's Seven Devils and also Paramore's Decode. I want it to have a really dark authentic early Victorian interior. Hence why the interior pic provided is very dark. It's probably going to be too dark for me to upload though. I like the darkness...
Alchemist
#194 Old 18th Sep 2013 at 4:32 PM
The thing with the windows is, they fit on the upper floor. The entire upper floor is 3/4 height, and these windows are low ones.

#195 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 3:59 AM
Wow! Johnny, the Victorian looks great! I love the detail

Fergie, Which house in Sunset Valley did you remodel? It looks familiar. and your second house looks good! Can we see the inspirational house?

Oh I actually completely change the color in the kitchen to blacks, greys and white with a single pop of color. But I see what you were saying though with the cabinets, it was a bit too much!

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#196 Old 19th Sep 2013 at 4:13 PM
I Victorianised 'Primrose', the home of the Hart family;
before:

after:
Forum Resident
#197 Old 21st Sep 2013 at 4:15 AM
Wow! Now I remember that house I think! It looks so much nicer now!

C.T.HOLKO88
Forum Resident
#198 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 12:49 AM
Here are a couple of houses that are WIPs! Both are on 60X60 lots!
the first is a log cabin castle and the second is an English Tudor
Screenshots

C.T.HOLKO88
Scholar
#199 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 3:57 PM
TudorMan, have you ever considered uploading any of your finished lots?
Alchemist
#200 Old 23rd Sep 2013 at 8:41 PM
The log cabin castle looks very interesting. I also like how you did the stairs in the tower of your tudor

Award to self: I wrote this without looking at my keyboard with only a few typos. I always have to look at my keyboard

Page 8 of 98