Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 5:47 AM
Default Cheesy 80's music
I just had "More Than A Feeling" by Boston, followed by "Faithfully" by Journey come on my Pandora station. Does anyone else think that is awesome?
Advertisement
Inventor
#2 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 6:17 AM
Lol, I just chalk it up to the whole "you like what you like" thing. I listen to a lot of "old" or cheesy/cliche'd music myself.
Madonna's "Like a Prayer" (even though I was only about 5 when it came out), a lot of the songs from movie soundtracks...I do have quite a few "guilty pleasures" in my music library!

Plus, with some artists, you just get a free pass like that. It seems like with, for most guys "Don't Stop Believing" mashes that deeply hidden "dork" button inside of every guy, and even the most stoic "badass" will end up trying to sing the impossibly high notes in that song into their own hairbrush while dancing around like a little kid on a sugar high. Or maybe I just have a soft spot for guys' dorky moments.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 6:34 AM
If you think I'm not gonna jam out to Don't Stop Believin' every time i hear it, you've got another thing coming.
Field Researcher
#4 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 7:02 AM
Loved the 80s particuarly, and I have Sirius in my Dodge Charger. Which is on 80s on 8 all the time.

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Scholar
#5 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 4:01 PM
Child of the 80's here, I still love most of the music of my youth. However that would be more of the new wave/punk music of the 80's with some mainstream pop music thrown in. Boston and Journey are both in the cheesy "classic" rock vein for me and get filed with Reo Speedwagon, 38 Special, Styx and so forth.
So no I wouldn't be thrilled to hear them.

However there are much, much worse examples of cheesy 80's music. A tiny example:

Richard Marx
Night Ranger
Billy Ocean
New Kids on the Block
Mister Mister
And anything any big hair heavy metal band every produced (with the exception of GNR).
Field Researcher
#6 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 4:46 PM
LOL new kids in the block, my sister used to listen to them, I never really liked them, but see, I had to share a room with my sister.

American Rocker Bomb, similar to an Irish car bomb, take a shot glass and fill it with five hour energy, then take a pint glass and fill it with your choice of energy drink. Drop in the shot glass and chug, then wait for SVT to set in.
Moderator of Extreme Limericks
#7 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 5:29 PM
Definitely Take On Me, by a-ha. I love that song, and people always roll their eyes when I want to listen to it. Also, Video Killed the Radio Star, by The Buggles. AWESOME. It's technically from 1979 (I just checked), but it's famous for being the first music video to air on MTV, which places it in 1981... so close enough, right?

Oh, and I guess I should move all of these music-related posts to the Media forum...

There's always money in the banana stand.
Scholar
#8 Old 19th Jul 2010 at 11:41 PM
Oh man, I love 80's music! Journey and Boston are both really awesome, and Pat Benatar is one of my favorites. I also love the songs "Everybody Wants to Rule the World", "Shout", "Mad World", and "Head Over Heels" by Tears For Fears. I've got "Voices Carry", "Take On Me", "Addicted to Love", and a whole slew of other 80's songs on my iPod.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 10:46 AM
Neva gonna give you up
Neva gonna let you down
Nava gonna run around and
Desert you....

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...
Top Secret Researcher
#10 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 11:03 AM
I love 80's music! Probably would have travelled back in time to then if I could!

One song that sums up a lot of 80's songs for me is Bobby Brown - Every Little Step (although it was released at the very end of it) It's just the whole feel and beat of it.

Used to have a CD, 4 disks with all the best from the 80's. Always had it on in the backgroun when playing sims. Can specifically remember listening to it a lot when Makin' Magic was out.

See there! Managed to string 80's music and sims together

TS3 aliens? Finally! Now give us OFB and proper apartments, damnit! - EA, you are breaking my heart. - I give up.
Field Researcher
#11 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:28 PM
and now I have found this thread I don't feel quite so old!!! I was born in 1974 so these songs are all around the 'school disco' era for me - I actually bought some 80's CDs last week - some Duran Duran, Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode, OMD and the Soundtrack from Grosse Point Blank -(a film I love and definitely the ultimate school reunion film) a real mixture :-)
Alchemist
#12 Old 20th Jul 2010 at 2:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by systempain
If you think I'm not gonna jam out to Don't Stop Believin' every time i hear it, you've got another thing coming.

That makes two of us
Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 2:16 AM
I am 80's music, much to the embarrassment of my friends and family I am equally guilty and proud of my extensive 80's pop collection including:

Pet Shop Boys
Johnny Hates Jazz
Madonna
OMD
The Smiths
Style Council
Simple Minds
The Pretenders
Thompson Twins
Fine Young Cannibals
Tom Waits
Texas
B-52's
Violent Femmes
Split Enz
Cold Chisel
Midnight Oil
Eurogliders
David Bowie

and some real embarrassing ones like Duran Duran, Spandau Ballet, Wham/George Michael and Kool and the Gang (or whatever they were called) lolol

and way too many more to mention I still prefer it to the crap music coming out these days.

Check the Sims 3 EA Freebies List for some awesome freebie downloads!
Top Secret Researcher
#15 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 6:39 AM
Quote: Originally posted by sandymdh
Violent Femmes, Depeche Mode,

But they are not cheesy!

Youtube is great for reliving the 80's, recently I've been reminding myself of Depeche Mode, The Human League, Laurie Anderson, Cocteau Twins, Kate Bush.
Forum Resident
#16 Old 22nd Jul 2010 at 10:00 PM
Yeah 80's were pretty good.

Where does the pain come?
Where does it start?
I know not...
For I have no heart...