Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Mar 2020 at 11:31 PM
Default Screenshots or pictures you're really proud of?
While looking through my Sims 3 directory deleting, moving, and merging files I decided to take a quick trip over to my screenshots folder to do some spring cleaning. There were a lot of them, and the bulk of them were pretty bad and did not spark any type of joy whatsoever. But some of them were pretty good, and I've found that I've been able to harbor some pride in them. So, do any of you have some in-game screenshots or pictures that you take pride in? Share em'!

Here's one of mine that I think came out pretty good:

Oh c'mon. There better be a point to all this stress I'm under.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 12:53 AM
I have taken 10s of thousands of screenshots so way too many to post the best. They are super fun to take. I may take too many but the game offers so many good ones. Nice Sim and her puppy.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 3:02 AM Last edited by AGuyCalledPi : 31st Mar 2020 at 3:14 AM.
I've taken somewhere between 23,000 and 27,000 screenshots over the past 7 and a half years and if 10% of those are good that's 2500 screenshots. If 10% of those are great that's 250. If 10% of those are absolutely brilliant then that's 25 screenshots, and I'm bad at picking stuff so I'm never going to be able to pick a top 10.

Luckily for me, I've had a folder where I gather up what I would consider to be the top 100-200 screenshots of my TS3 career and I've copied it to enough places that I can still find it. So here's a random selection out of that top-200-or-so:

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 5:20 AM
I'm currently spending time in my game building stuff, rather than playing with a family. But then I found this picture in my old game files, where I played a sim pursuing her singer career. Ohh the memories, I miss playing with sims...

And some nice view of the city too.. :lovestruc

Screenshots

Looking for something converted to TS3? Visit Xto3 Conversions Finds for all your xto3 needs.
Main simblr: aisquaredchoco ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My downloaded cc: ts3ccreblogsbyaisquared
Buy-build defaults database
Mad Poster
#6 Old 31st Mar 2020 at 3:15 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
This is the screenshot I'm most proud of. It captures the difficult everyday life of a teenager going to school on Monday after a very rough weekend of binge drinking.

I would capture it a bit differently.

"It captures the difficult everyday life of a teenager that's been asked by strange eccentric scientist to follow them on a quest to literal trip to a future,, with the time portal that he stumble that just landed on the sunday midnight after she left the prom alone.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 4:31 AM
Okay so I forgot to post pictures but there's an important question to pose: what do you value in a screenshot? Composition? Topic? Technique? Colours? I have plenty of screenshots I'd say are interesting from a purely visual perspective but those can be landscape shots, portraits, random street scenes or whatever. My most liked Tumblr post ever was a series of screenshots I took in the Uranesia world, because they were pretty pictures. But there were no Sims in any of them. My second most liked post was of some cars parked outdoors.

I can pick a dozen screenshots from any set of parameters. So first I'd need to establish what I want to look for. Let's say either portraits or landscapes. Then, surely, I can randomly pick 5 of my favourite screenshots from both categories.

insert signature here
( Join my dumb Discord server if you're into the whole procrastination thing. But like, maybe tomorrow. )
Field Researcher
#8 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 4:48 AM
Geez, it's been so long since I actually opened the game to TAKE screenies. Right now, I'm in "make sims" mode, so CCmagic is to the rescue with a "CAS only" loadout and Builder's Island to make said sims. Then I'm working thru Twinbrook to make separate save files so I can do different shots. Real pain in the posterior.

But I'm sure I can dig up a few that I'm especially chuffed with that I don't think I've posted here before. Most are from a historic gameplay, so some image editing's been done. I'll do just a top 5.

I replaced the big junkyard in TB with a riding stable. I kind of like this shot quite a bit.

One of my historical play saves - the amount of OMSPs that went into this was obscene.

Another shot from that save - this time in the backyard, creating a scene from a private picture from that particular era.

This one is recent, trying out some new effects, etc.

Apart from the gorning that my sims do, which always makes me giggle; I would say this one is one of my biggest favorites, and biggest headaches. Trying to get them to all go in a similar direction without screwing up was.... fun.

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#9 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 10:51 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AGuyCalledPi
Okay so I forgot to post pictures but there's an important question to pose: what do you value in a screenshot? Composition? Topic? Technique? Colours? I have plenty of screenshots I'd say are interesting from a purely visual perspective but those can be landscape shots, portraits, random street scenes or whatever. My most liked Tumblr post ever was a series of screenshots I took in the Uranesia world, because they were pretty pictures. But there were no Sims in any of them. My second most liked post was of some cars parked outdoors.

I can pick a dozen screenshots from any set of parameters. So first I'd need to establish what I want to look for. Let's say either portraits or landscapes. Then, surely, I can randomly pick 5 of my favourite screenshots from both categories.

IMO you are totally overthinking this. All that matters is what you think are photos you want to post. There is no criteria. They are your favorites for any/whatever reason. Post the ones you want to post.

I can think of one of mine that I have always liked even though probably not special at all. If I can find I will post it and say why I like it.
Mad Poster
#10 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 10:54 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 1st Apr 2020 at 11:28 PM.
I don't have any recent TS3 pics, but I have a couple old ones I really like:

Cobalt (mom) and Blossom (foal)

Sam and Sally

what do you value in a screenshot? Composition? Topic? Technique? Colours? I have plenty of screenshots I'd say are interesting from a purely visual perspective but those can be landscape shots, portraits, random street scenes or whatever.

It depends on the picture, but I do enjoy a good composition, colors that go well together, good light, natural-looking poses/interactions if there are sims or animals in the picture, and I love pictures that tell a story. I also love funny pictures, but those don't always fit into the "nice picture" category (the first one is a mix - that foal was indeed stuck in some bushes and screaming at its mom, who was busy striking a pose. Unicorns... ).

Kinda like how this turned out, too.
Mad Poster
#11 Old 1st Apr 2020 at 11:02 PM
Very nice! I did not find the one I was looking for but found 2 other funny ones I will post after I find my imgur password.
Undead Molten Llama
#12 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 1:14 PM Last edited by iCad : 2nd Apr 2020 at 2:14 PM.
I wouldn't say I'm "proud" of them, but I do enjoy taking screenshots and quickly fiddling with them in Photoshop a bit. Mostly, I do scenery shots, but occasionally there'll be Sim in them. The first one of these is one using Pose Player, which I don't often mess around with, but it can be fun sometimes...

Hi, I'm iCad, and I'm a fan of:
  • The rule of thirds
  • Gaussian blur
  • Layer blends
  • Lens correction
  • Messing around with color saturation
  • The Dragon Cave
  • Annnnnd the occasional bit of Diffuse Glow here and there.

But here's a completely unedited one, just for...comparison?

Well, OK, I do use bicubic sharpening when resizing pics in Photoshop, which crisps pics up a bit when sizing them down, but other than that, that's muh game!...complete with a lighting mod and a custom NVIDIA graphics profile, of course.

EDIT: I'm curious about the "disagree" on my post. What are you disagreeing with? What my game looks like without Photoshopping? That I generally tend to do just quick Photoshopping? The gay guys? You think I have different Photoshop filters/tweaks that I commonly abuse? Am I disobeying the rule of thirds? Really, I'm genuinely, totally curious. Speak up!

If it's the first thing, I gotta say...1) Lighting mods are amazing. 2) Tweaking around in the NVIDIA Profile Inspector (If you have an NVIDIA card) does wonders! The 8X antialiasing alone does amazing things. It's way better than the game's edge smoothing. My game tended to look like....this...before screwing around and seeing what my video card could really do with the game.

I'm mostly found on (and mostly upload to) Tumblr these days because, alas, there are only 24 hours in a day.
Muh Simblr! | An index of my downloads on Tumblr.
Mad Poster
#13 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 8:11 PM
Well these are alright, I suppose. Probably top 200.

insert signature here
Instructor
#14 Old 2nd Apr 2020 at 10:20 PM
It was ages ago that I touched my "40s style savegame" last time, but if I have any photos that I'm kinda proud of, then it's those few noir-ish pics that I was able to shoot while playing that.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#15 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 1:21 AM
Well these are alright, I suppose. Probably top 200.

It is pretty dang bad that I look at pixels and think darn my skin never in my life looked as good as that! :/

And love the noir photos Floraflora.
Scholar
#16 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 2:51 AM
Horsey pictures seem to be popular here, so here's one of mine...

An historical meeting. That's Stormer on the left and Goldsheen on the right. Together they will begin a noble line of horses.

Oh, and Edmund over there hopes to be a king at some point.

P.S. I just point the thing, press the shutter and hope for the best.

Legend is history as we would like it to be. We pick through the dusts of time for what is worth keeping and, here and there, we occasionally find treasure.

Simblr: Elyndaworld *** Wordpress: Tales of Nantrelor
Mad Poster
#17 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 3:06 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Elynda
I just point the thing, press the shutter and hope for the best.

Nice photo! I do in Sims the same as in RL. Take tons of them and then sort through and dump the trash and keep the best ones. I love to take photos in RL also.
Mad Poster
#18 Old 3rd Apr 2020 at 4:22 AM
Possibly my favourite little 'genre' of screenshots over the past couple of years has been these impromptu Sim shots I take between recording scenes. It makes it look like they're just actors hanging out on set between takes.

insert signature here
Field Researcher
#19 Old 4th Apr 2020 at 12:41 AM
Twinbrook's "fun" and by "fun" I mean exasperating. XD I'm still avoiding it for the time being. I'll get back to it, soon... maybe.

The thing that has endeared me to all of the sims games, but especially 3 (because horses, duh) was the amount of expression they would try to give our little pixellated pains in our butts. (and seeing all the creativity people do with their game just amazes the heck out of me. If you ever finish Twinbroke, Wojtek, that is a definite WANT for my game.)

Fun with pose player and the free camera mode.

If this isn't a slice of life pic, nothing is. Is it summer yet? I'm tired of the mud and I want to go riding.

And this whole pic set below, some of which would not be PG13 if I showed the rest of it. One sim walks in on his brother and sister-in-law in the bedroom, freaks out, goes upstairs and runs into his best friend in the hot tub, as a daredevil best friend would be in the hot tub. Much complaining ensued. Second daredevil sim goes "oh heck, why not?"

"Are you....not dressed in there?" "Yep." "Great, now I'll have to change the hair trap."

Yeah, shooting me that look is going to get you in trouble, bucko. Hmm, Nraas MasterController-intermediate-moodlet.... hmm....

Dead Ringers
Discord: RedBaroness13
Mad Poster
#20 Old 4th Apr 2020 at 1:35 AM
That's funny you should say that because just this morning, before I went to bed, I looked at those screenshots and I figured I'm finally just about halfway. After 2 and a half years I'm finally more or less halfway to creating a themed world that I think is realistic, interesting-looking and in keeping with TS3, and takes me and other people back to certain retro pop culture. I've still got a long way to go especially with Buy Mode content and clothing for Sims.

Right now.....I can't help but feel there's too much of regular old TS3 in there. It still looks like 2009 to me, just with worse fashion and older technology. And a low-effort filter on it that kind of gives my game a generic 35mm film sort of look. One time I was so bored that I even looked up what cameras were used for some of the more iconic movies from the 80s (answer: Panaflex Gold) and then watched those movies to see what I could learn from the lenses, lighting and color grading they used.

insert signature here
Mad Poster
#21 Old 4th Apr 2020 at 1:58 AM
EDIT: and then I looked at some modern films shot on those camera systems, because of course film students love that sort of shit, and noticed the camera definitely gave them the same sort of look and feel that I would say I recognize from some of my all time favourite movies that were made between about 1984 and 1992.

So I'll probably mess around with it some more the next chance I get but there's actually more going on in my screenshots than you'd think. I have presets for daytime and nighttime, heavy and light, and sometimes I even switch between them as intended. For better or for worse, I've never needed to add any postprocessing to a clean shot in Premiere. I don't like that anyway, they're videos made with TS3 about TS3 so I want every single element of a shot to be tied to TS3 in some way.
I never turn my postprocessing off either, even when I know it'll make it a lot harder for me to composit a shot properly (chroma keying is a bitch when bright blues and greens totally blown out and bent out of shape by the filters). Otherwise it'd just be me playing TS3 but adding all the impressive-looking bits in afterwards like some sort of phony.

insert signature here
Forum Resident
#22 Old 1st Jun 2020 at 4:58 AM
Used NVidia's Freestyle for this print screen, but I keep forgetting about it despite wanting to use it more often.

Some others.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
Field Researcher
#23 Old 5th Jun 2020 at 7:27 PM
Being a New Yorker, the suburban/island words of TS3 have always driven me crazy, so I've done nothing but keep building these super large city worlds in CAW. So, my proudest screenshots are the ones where I feel as if I've captured that expansive "big city" feel.
Screenshots
Forum Resident
#24 Old 9th Jun 2020 at 4:01 AM
I found a new way to take Sim selfies while using NVidia Freestyle. I have a few selfie poses but now I want to see if I can find even more. If selfies were actually this in depth it would have been an even cooler feature.

Trying out some of the other filters individually. Pretty quick and easy right from in-game. This feature is really nice to have for such shutterbugs, lol. I accidentally moved the mouse and wasn't paying attention that some of the shrubbery disappeared from being too close. I want to fix those shadows so it looks better though I did it before but I didn't reapply those settings when I got a new computer/new TS3 folder.

Previous Game: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition (100% riddles completed; now I know why I've always been fascinated with The Riddler, lol.)

Next Game: Batman Arkham City GOTY Edition
#25 Old 13th Jun 2020 at 8:19 PM
I think this one came out pretty okay. It's part of a summer photo set I started but haven't finished yet.

Staying in the shade - what I try and do whenever I can.
Screenshots