Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 7:54 PM Last edited by IgnorantBliss : 1st Dec 2006 at 1:43 PM. Reason: removed attachment
Default Unvanted recolors! How to delete them?
Hello guys!
I am having troubles figuring out how to get rid of unwanted recolors in my cloned sofa object...Here is what I've done so far:

I cloned a sofa object and all of it`s original recolors.
Then, I modeled a new sofa mesh in my 3D software, UV mapped it, and imported it, replacing the original sofa mesh in the package.
After that, I replaced existing textures with my own. Since my cloned file had 6 recolors for sofa material, there were 6 material definitions using 6 different textures. After replacing textures everything worked just fine.
However, when I entered the game, my sofa object had a total of 12 recolors: 6 of my own and other 6 which are the original sofa recolors...
So now I am confused, in my package file, I have a total of 6 material definitions, 6 material overrides, 6 sets of textures all corresponding to recolors I textured myself. So, where do the other 6 recolors come from, and how can I get rid of them?
Since I am new to SimPE and recoloring stuff, please take a look at my .package file...I am really getting frustrated trying to fix this problem.

Thanks.
Advertisement
Instructor
#2 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 8:37 PM
You forgot to mark 'pull only default color' (something like that in English) when cloning your sofa in OW, didn't you? Numenor wrote an overview for these cloning-settings (I use Xanathon's German translation but I know Numenor's original is somewhere here around :D) so only the default color prevents your package from using all recolors available, usually (depends on the package and it's connections, maybe you have to create a stand alone object).
I don't know where within SimPE this option (use other recolors, too) is located to turn it off so I guess recloning should be working, too to fix your problem...
BTW, great mesh!

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 9:36 PM
Khaibit,

thank you for your reply.
No, I didn't mark 'pull only default color', because I wanted to load all the original recolor textures in the package and replace them manually with my own painted textures.
But, after I replaced original textures with my own, it turned out I only added recolors-not replaced the original ones.

I am really new to all this, and perhaps my logic isn't right (and English is not my mother tongue. I am trying to be as eloquent as possible).

I just tried cloning with "pull only default color" and imported my texture.
Now I had only one material definition and one set of mip-map textures.
But in the game, my object showed my textured recolor and other 6 original recolors again..
aaaarghhhh
Instructor
#4 Old 20th Nov 2006 at 11:47 PM
Ok, I cloned your base object on my own with "Create stand alone object" marked, imported your mesh and the default cushon texture and it worked perfectly for me so maybe this is the mistake: create a stand alone clone!

Of course there are only the 2 default textures included, you can add your others with a 'know how' (do you know it? I think IBliss explained in her adding a subset tutorial...) or create recolors with OW instead - anyway, it works :D

Part-time Hermit
#5 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 4:48 AM
ricma021, what's causing your problem is that you didn't give your object new GUIDs. The GUID in the each Object Data file needs to be replaced with a custom one (not just a random one, you need to register at the SimPE site and then acquire a new GUID each time, this is all explained in the JWoods object tutorial there is in the tutorial section), and with the main GUID you need to Update MMATs also.
Instructor
#6 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 5:17 AM
I didn't look at the GUID, expected that ricma021 did get a new one (yes, my fault, should have tried thinking instead) and of course my version worked fine this way... sorry for misleading help-trial!

Test Subject
Original Poster
#7 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 5:15 PM Last edited by ricma021 : 22nd Nov 2006 at 11:21 AM.
IgnorantBliss, Khaibit:

thank you guys sooo much! My sofa package is finally working fine!
I gave new GUIDs to Object Data files, but, all my Material Overrides didn't point to the "main" Object Data GUID, but to the other Object Data...so I manually copy/pasted the main Object Data GUID into all Material Overrides and it worked.
I will work some more on my textures and material attributes, but even now, I am very pleased with my little sofa
....which brings me to another question: Can I find somewhere a list of all available attributes a Material Definition can have, and can some other material attributes be texture mapped (bump map perhaps?)

Cheers!!!
Instructor
#8 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 5:42 PM
You did what with the GUID? Did you check "Update all MMATs" before getting the main GUID and afterwards commited next to this box? In this case SimPE would have had updated the TXMT, also performing Fix Integry after GUID updating can't be wrong Take a look at JWood's table creating tut again to check the 'to do' thingies.

TXMT: complicated topic, take a look http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...=0&page=7&pp=25 and at TSR is a TXMT tutorial available, see Content | Sims 2 Tutorials | Page 3, Material Definition Editing by Simaddict99.

Test Subject
Original Poster
#9 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 6:52 PM
Khaibit,
you`re right, I didn`t check Update all MMATs simply because while reading some of the threads here on forum, I found someone saying that using Update all MMATs shouldn`t be used unless "you really know what you`re doing" So, I guessed that must have been something I should have avoided at all cost
Now I am starting to understand a lot more...3D modeling and texturing is not a problem for me but figuring out all the things in SimPE is a slow process.
Thanx for the link to TXMT tutorial, I`ll check it out!
Instructor
#10 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 7:42 PM
Now you know why updating all MMATs does make sense Can you remember where you found this "don't update MMATs" warning?
And jepp, SimPE is the tricky part

Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 8:47 PM
I found the link http://www.modthesims2.com/archive/...hp/t-52499.html
There is a post made by user Samekh from 26th Apr 2005, 10:27 AM
You`ll find it...
But I probably took his comment out of the context, and perhaps misunderstood the whole thing...
It`s an archived post that came out after I did a site search...
Instructor
#12 Old 21st Nov 2006 at 9:21 PM
Thank you!
I didn't read everything, didn't find the post but it's already in the archieve, old and 'outdated' - the stuff discussed in there is either already long in use or it's already for quite a long time known that this or that was a wrong supposition - like 'not marking update all MMATs'. Try to use new, updated or still working tutorials to make some progress (when it's about SimPE 0.12 its' definately outdated).

Part-time Hermit
#13 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 4:47 AM
There is a difference in checking the box "update MMATs" or just clicking the update button. In most cases you shouldn't check the box but just click the button. In some cases, like objects that were cloned stand-alone, you may have to tick the box for the MMAT update to work. But clicking the button is always necessary. Fixing the GUID references in the Material Overrides can be done manually, too, just like you did.
Instructor
#14 Old 22nd Nov 2006 at 12:41 PM
Now I'm confused, IBliss - you mean updating all MMATs when getting the master GUID is wrong except for stand alone objects??? *Doh!* I always do so...

Part-time Hermit
#15 Old 23rd Nov 2006 at 4:51 AM
No, no. There are two different ways of updating the MMATs, one is to check the box called "update all MMATs" and clicking "Update MMATs and commit" button, or only clicking the "Update MMATs and commit" button. The latter goes for most cases, Numenor recommends using only the button as a default, that lets SimPE update the GUIDs in a smart way (sometimes there are several MMATs that do not all share the same GUID, and this way SimPE is left to decide which MMAT to update with which GUID). But I've noticed this doesn't necessarily work with stand-alone clones, in which case you do need to check the box also, or fix the GUIDs manually.
Instructor
#16 Old 24th Nov 2006 at 12:43 AM
Phew! So I was just unnecesarily confused this time Thank you for making this clear!

Locked thread | Locked by: IgnorantBliss Reason: problem solved