Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 14th Nov 2022 at 11:38 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default blocked by admin for your protection
Installing Sims2 discs on new Windows 11 OK till EPs & SPs after 2007. These 4 packs won't install; I get message about being blocked by admin. That's not the issue of course - I AM the admin. Prior Windows 11 DID allow me to install, but had to change my user account from a local to a Microsoft account. That new computer was actually defective, so I got a different one; it is doing the same thing, but I can't figure out how to change my account. I have researched this to death (OK, just to TEARS)...the easiest thing I've read is to reset the computer's clock (to 2007 I assume). But I can't figure that out either.
I don't know what the real fix should be, but hope won't get strange advice I've read already; "Buy something besides discs" , or "learn to clean your disc"...not so helpful. Maybe there is NOT a one-good-fix .. I do know every computer is a bit different. Hoping to find some newer ideas..

Stand up, speak out. Just not to me..
Advertisement
Theorist
#2 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 12:20 AM
I had the same problem with Windows 10, this is the sites I used to find a solution, [FIX] An Administrator Has Blocked You From Running This App, Youtube version Here, it might help.

Whenever you see a "Say Thanks" button show the creator you appreciate their work...click on it.
You can also find more of my work at Leefish and Plumb Bob Keep
Mad Poster
#3 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 12:31 AM
Do you have a picture of the "blocked by admin" message? There are a few types, and some you can easily go around in that same window, while others you have to do other things to go around.

Here's a potential workaround, if you can get to the EXE files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixgwsVNTm0 (right-click and "run as administrator" can also work, but again, if you can get to the EXE install file).

For patches, you can try the Grumpy Loader.
https://modthesims.info/t/500523
https://modthesims.info/showthread....458#post4051458

On a Win11-note, I came across something about Windows 11 and an issue with (I think?) the 22H2 update regarding TS3 and bad saves/errors and bad performance - not sure if that same update could be an issue in some way or another for TS2, too (I sure hope not, but I'm still on 10, and not planning on updating for quite some time yet...).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#4 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 1:12 AM Last edited by grammapat : 15th Nov 2022 at 1:44 AM.
[QUOTE=simmer22]Do you have a picture of the "blocked by admin" message?
=====
No picture but it says: This app has been blocked for your protection. An administrator has blocked you from running this app. Contact the administer" Obviously, this actually does not apply at all.

Here's a potential workaround, if you can get to the EXE files: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lixgwsVNTm0 (right-click and "run as administrator" can also work, but again, if you can get to the EXE install file).
=============
Don't know how I can access the exe on a disc, but if the point was just to be the admin, I already AM.

For patches, you can try the Grumpy Loader.
======== I thought this was just for patches...
QUOTE]

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#5 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 1:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Michelle
I had the same problem with Windows 10, this is the sites I used to find a solution, [FIX] An Administrator Has Blocked You From Running This App, Youtube version Here, it might help.

====
That was written for Windows 10, so the path is not the same for windows 11. But I was able to turn off 2 things in Smart screen -- which did not correct the problem

Mad Poster
#6 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 2:06 AM
Even if you're on the admin account, the computer doesn't automatically give you full privilegies and treat you as the admin all the time, so if you want to do admin tasks, you have to confirm you're the admin (a non-admin account can't access admin tasks like this). You can for instance right-click shortcuts or EXE files to "run as admin" to get around some issues with running apps. Doesn't work on everything, but can work in some cases.

Windows tend to keep the general formats between versions, so unless there's been huge changes, a lot of tutorials are reverse-engineerable, at least to the point where you can find the right tool or path with some quick web searches.

For the CDs, you can try to open up the files on the CD and click the install EXE from there. Not sure if the copy protection allows this, though (honestly, I've never tried this - never had any issues installing, but also never tried installing CDs on anything higher than Win7). My guess is that it's the autorun that's getting blocked, possibly also the copy protection (SecuRom).
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#7 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 4:07 AM Last edited by grammapat : 15th Nov 2022 at 5:00 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Even if you're on the admin account, the computer doesn't automatically give you full privilegies and treat you as the admin all the time, so if you want to do admin tasks, you have to confirm you're the admin (a non-admin account can't access admin tasks like this). You can for instance right-click shortcuts or EXE files to "run as admin" to get around some issues with running apps. Doesn't work on everything, but can work in some cases.

Windows tend to keep the general formats between versions, so unless there's been huge changes, a lot of tutorials are reverse-engineerable, at least to the point where you can find the right tool or path with some quick web searches.

For the CDs, you can try to open up the files on the CD and click the install EXE from there. Not sure if the copy protection allows this, though (honestly, I've never tried this - never had any issues installing, but also never tried installing CDs on anything higher than Win7). My guess is that it's the autorun that's getting blocked, possibly also the copy protection (SecuRom).

===
Didn't know I could left-click on a Sims disc and run the .EXE - AND "run as exec", will have to check that out. Big NOPE there- disc doesn't do that. I've tried getting rid of SecuRom - don't know if it worked. There must be a reason that the failure to install only happens to EPs and SPs that came out in 2008.. Even though I've installed discs from 2004 through 2007, patched them and changed the hoods out with Tarlia's, trying to load hoods N001 & N002 crashes at some point while loading. So it's not just the failure to install. Would logs help?

Mad Poster
#8 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 5:43 AM
Not what I meant with the EXEs, but at this point unsure how to explain better.
SecuRom was included with BV and above, I think (plus the collections above BV). No idea which EPs you already have installed.

Have you installed the other games, then done some tinkering to the install files (changed hoods, etc.)? If you want a clean install, it's a good idea to leave any tinkering in the install files until after you've installed everything you want (or can) install, because the position of where the files go will often change with your highest EP. If it's just in the savegame files, it's fine.

Making sure your game actually is able to run properly without any edits or CC is also part of the process. At this point you don't know if it's a faulty install, a bugged setup of Tarlia's hoods, a setup/GraphicRules/memory issue, or something else.
Field Researcher
#9 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 6:20 AM
I had the same issue on Windows 10... If you don't want to change setting like me you can start CMD... right click on CMD and open it with Administrator rights and then Navigate to the location of your disc and start the .exe from there... that will get around this
Field Researcher
#10 Old 15th Nov 2022 at 5:01 PM
Set the date on your PC to sometime before 2014 (I think that's when their signatures expired), I usually do 2010 for good measure, and it will allow you to run the installers.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#11 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 4:08 AM Last edited by grammapat : 24th Nov 2022 at 11:39 AM.
Not what I meant with the EXEs, but at this point unsure how to explain better.
SecuRom was included with BV and above, I think (plus the collections above BV). No idea which EPs you already have installed.

Have you installed the other games, then done some tinkering to the install files (changed hoods, etc.)? If you want a clean install, it's a good idea to leave any tinkering in the install files until after you've installed everything you want (or can) install, because the position of where the files go will often change with your highest EP. If it's just in the savegame files, it's fine.

Making sure your game actually is able to run properly without any edits or CC is also part of the process. At this point you don't know if it's a faulty install, a bugged setup of Tarlia's hoods, a setup/GraphicRules/memory issue, or something else.

=
By "..installed other games" do you mean other EPs? Yes, I've installed all through EP 6. Then substituted Tarlia's 3 hoods from first EP (via C drive). Downloads folder is not being used.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#12 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 4:13 AM
Quote: Originally posted by KiraNettt
I had the same issue on Windows 10... If you don't want to change setting like me you can start CMD... right click on CMD and open it with Administrator rights and then Navigate to the location of your disc and start the .exe from there... that will get around this

Don't know what you mean by "rt click on CMD" - sorry, what is that? If I rt click on the disc there is no .exe to try to run.

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#13 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 4:38 AM
Default funny that my attachments look like downloads
So maybe I should be more complete..
I have discs - all the EPs and most of the SPs. I have had to re-install them maybe 4 times. Now I have a new computer, running Windows 11.
I installed discs through Bon Voyage with no problem (all created prior to 2008).
I tried to install Freetime and Apartment Life but got the "blocked for your protection". I could install the SPs I have except for Ikea & M&G. All the packs that won't install were created in 2008

I patched all the packs I could install, added the 4GBpath. Replaced the 1st three hoods (from Sims2) with Tarlia's (in Cdrive). Since the latest disc I could install was BonVoyage, that is the one I ran. My downloads folder had been removed. I tried to enter a hood - it crashed. I tried to enter another hood - it looked like it was loading ("making magic", etc) but then it crashed.
I've tried to attach info about this computer and the error logs...don't know how they will show up.
Attached files:
File Type: txt  IBUYPOWER-config-log.txt (10.0 KB, 10 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2022.11.14 18.31.13.txt (14.8 KB, 6 downloads)
File Type: txt  Sims2Exception 2022.11.14 18.23.13.txt (18.3 KB, 2 downloads)

Mad Poster
#14 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 5:40 AM Last edited by simmer22 : 16th Nov 2022 at 5:50 AM.
Your game is not reading the 4GB patch - the memory says 2048 MB (did you patch the Bon Voyage EXE?). It's also low on texture memory - should be at least 4 GB, says 32 MB. I'd say no wonder it's crashing.

GraphicRulesMaker can help, unless you want to try fixing it manually (Not sure if there's a good tutorial on that).
Field Researcher
#15 Old 16th Nov 2022 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
Don't know what you mean by "rt click on CMD" - sorry, what is that? If I rt click on the disc there is no .exe to try to run.

CMD is a program... Command Prompt... you can search for that program in the search bar on the taskbar.. if you see that program you right click on it and then open as admin... then a black windows appears that should say
"C: \WINDOWS\system32>" (C: is my drive where I have windows installed... might be different for you) there you type: cd D:
D: is the name of my CD drive... yours could be another letter... just change it to what the explorer tells you it is... then it will navigate to your CD Drive... in my case it says now
"C: \WINDOWS\system32>cd D:
D: \"
then type: Autorun.exe
That should open the installer directly without it being blocked... at least with windows 10
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#16 Old 19th Nov 2022 at 4:04 PM Last edited by grammapat : 24th Nov 2022 at 12:05 AM.
Default it DID install by clicking autorun
CMD is a program... Command Prompt... you can search for that program in the search bar on the taskbar.. if you see that program you right click on it and then open as admin... then a black windows appears that should say
"C: \WINDOWS\system32>" (C: is my drive where I have windows installed... might be different for you) there you type: cd D:
D: is the name of my CD drive... yours could be another letter... just change it to what the explorer tells you it is... then it will navigate to your CD Drive... in my case it says now
"C: \WINDOWS\system32>cd D:
D: \"
then type: Autorun.exe
That should open the installer directly without it being blocked... at least with windows 10

====
can't do. Like so many other directions, the path on this new Windows 11 is not the same. On that black screen it says "c\users\pat>"And I can't type anything. But if I go to DVD rather than "this computer" there is an option to "auto run" - if I double left click on this there are three options. Two are logos (BMP files); one is "autorun.cfg" but if I left dbl clk on that I only get "select an app to open". I can also rt click on that and get a bunch more useless options. Went back to DVD RW Drive Sims2EP6_1; found "autorun" - an application" rt click gets option to run as admin..it got as far as "..want this to make changes" but then nothing - it did not install. When went to EA and looked for the Bon Voyage disc it looks like it did install. But how could it have installed in just a few seconds?!
Then I tried the same process on Apart life and got the old "blocked" message

Field Researcher
#17 Old 19th Nov 2022 at 4:45 PM
when it says that it didn't opened with admin rights... it says that when its opended without that... when I open it without admin rights it also says for me "C:\Users\kiran" you shouldnt click anything in the box... just directly type... did you right click on it and opended it as admin?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#18 Old 20th Nov 2022 at 9:42 AM
when it says that it didn't opened with admin rights... it says that when its opended without that... when I open it without admin rights it also says for me "C:\Users\kiran" you shouldnt click anything in the box... just directly type... did you right click on it and opended it as admin?

==
Sorry, but I'm not understanding you at all.

Field Researcher
#19 Old 20th Nov 2022 at 11:05 AM
https://youtu.be/yrwiBC5V7u4
Well my PC is german but the right programs comes up anyway if you search for cmd... right click on it and then choose "start as admin" or what ever its called in english but it should be the uppest option... and the letter after "cd" has to be the letter of your CD Drive... just look at the explorer... in my Case D: (Idk why I wrote C and then type the over stuff from the post I made befor...
Screenshots
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#20 Old 24th Nov 2022 at 12:07 AM

Like I said above, I can't type anything there

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#21 Old 24th Nov 2022 at 12:17 AM
https://youtu.be/yrwiBC5V7u4
Well my PC is german but the right programs comes up anyway if you search for cmd... right click on it and then choose "start as admin" or what ever its called in english but it should be the uppest option... and the letter after "cd" has to be the letter of your CD Drive... just look at the explorer... in my Case D: (Idk why I wrote C and then type the over stuff from the post I made befor...

=
I went to Start, searched for CMD, it showed "command prompt/ app", clicked on this and got option to "start as admin", then I got black screen that said c\windows\system32. I went back to start,searched for cmd, and this time got the black screen that says "C\users\pat" and I Can type here, but you said "the letter after CD" -- there is no "CD"

Mad Poster
Original Poster
#22 Old 24th Nov 2022 at 11:50 AM Last edited by grammapat : 24th Nov 2022 at 12:47 PM.
Your game is not reading the 4GB patch - the memory says 2048 MB (did you patch the Bon Voyage EXE?). It's also low on texture memory - should be at least 4 GB, says 32 MB. I'd say no wonder it's crashing.

GraphicRulesMaker can help, unless you want to try fixing it manually (Not sure if there's a good tutorial on that).

=

Actually I had more RAM added to this new computer; it's 32GB. Oh, I guess "texture memory" is something else...
================
Now I'm thinking the problem installing those last discs is not as bad as the problem with CRASHING. I got as far as Bon Voyage, and can launch that but when I try to enter any hood the game crashes. So now what...uninstall everything?

Mad Poster
#23 Old 24th Nov 2022 at 2:18 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Nov 2022 at 2:34 PM.
The crashing could be due to other reasons, like settings in GraphicRules, or the 4GB patch isn't properly applied, or similar. If the texture memory still says 32 MB that's something you need to fix (will very likely cause crashes).

If the game runs, and you get to the start screen, most likely it's at least installed correctly. Uninstalling is just going to create more issues (especially with the issues you're already having), so consider that the very last option if you've tried everything else.

You can fix texture memory with the GRM, or manually like this: http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=7909 (post 2, post 8 also has some info on increasing the available VM).
You can find the number by running a DXDiag (here: https://celebkiriedhel.tumblr.com/p...a-dxdiag-for-me ), it's the "Display Memory" line you want from the DXDiag.

Paste that number into the "seti textureMemory [number here]" line, as shown in the first link.
Field Researcher
#24 Old 24th Nov 2022 at 3:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by grammapat
=
I went to Start, searched for CMD, it showed "command prompt/ app", clicked on this and got option to "start as admin", then I got black screen that said c\windows\system32. I went back to start,searched for cmd, and this time got the black screen that says "C\users\pat" and I Can type here, but you said "the letter after CD" -- there is no "CD"

You have to type cd... c\windows\system32>cd D:
That is what you have to type... unless your drive isnt D:... then replace that letter
"cd" is what you have to type to get to another partition and "D:" is what oyu have to type to navigate to your DVD Drive and it has to say "C\windows\system32>" otherwise you open the .exe to install the game without admin rights which gives you they same ablocked message... don't know why it wouldnt let you write when you open CMD with admin rights.... you are logged in into an account with admin rights for sure? not any guest account?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#25 Old 24th Nov 2022 at 5:21 PM
You have to type cd... c\windows\system32>cd D:
That is what you have to type... unless your drive isnt D:... then replace that letter
"cd" is what you have to type to get to another partition and "D:" is what oyu have to type to navigate to your DVD Drive and it has to say "C\windows\system32>" otherwise you open the .exe to install the game without admin rights which gives you they same ablocked message... don't know why it wouldnt let you write when you open CMD with admin rights.... you are logged in into an account with admin rights for sure? not any guest account?

=
my account is admin (but I understand some functions won't recognize this). On prior computer I was able to install discs when changed from LOCAL account to Microsoft user account. That computer was a new Windows 11 .. I had it for a few weeks before trading it for my currant one. It was easy; but on this 11 I can't create a Microsoft user account at all. I may have to try this, but I have uninstalled Sims (using each pacs "uninstall". Did this because of crashing when loading the game or hoods, and think it may have corrupted due to lots of data being transferred from old machine to this new one (something corrupted?) Am having a tech look at machine for lots of things (mouse keeps freezing, number keyboard not working,etc etc)

Page 1 of 2