Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 12th Jun 2022 at 10:36 PM Last edited by shota-oddball : 25th Jun 2022 at 5:01 AM.
Default Is it possible to make a pasty/pure white skin for the Sims 3?
I had no luck finding what I was looking for so I tried to make one using CmarNYC's Skininator and it's not working out. I saw some posts stating that it's very hard to make a pure white skin for the Sims 3...is it?
EDIT: I was utilizing a free trial version of Photoshop to make the skin.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 17th Jun 2022 at 3:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shota-oddball
I had no luck finding what I was looking for so I tried to make one using CmarNYC's Skininator and it's not working out. I saw some posts stating that it's very hard to make a pure white skin for the Sims 3...is it?

You would need an imaging program like Photoshop, I use GIMP (free) or I believe also paint.net is free. Desaturate the skin textures... ALL of them, including scalp (not the face overlay, and probably not the body overlay either). You may need to darken desaturated textures slightly. Again, ALL, and be sure to darken all the same amount or you will create texture seams at the neck. You can probably use the black/ white preset tone for what you want. But, also good idea to include the other common skin tones. I suggest checking one of the tutorials for making skins. Do not recall exactly where (some here on MTS, others on youtube), but some tutorials also cover making custom tone ramps. Also, take time to include the normals maps. Most do not, which is why muscle slider does not work on so many replacement skins. That cleavage does not work is far less noticeable.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#4 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 5:01 AM Last edited by shota-oddball : 25th Jun 2022 at 5:11 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
You would need an imaging program like Photoshop, I use GIMP (free) or I believe also paint.net is free. Desaturate the skin textures... ALL of them, including scalp (not the face overlay, and probably not the body overlay either). You may need to darken desaturated textures slightly. Again, ALL, and be sure to darken all the same amount or you will create texture seams at the neck. You can probably use the black/ white preset tone for what you want. But, also good idea to include the other common skin tones. I suggest checking one of the tutorials for making skins. Do not recall exactly where (some here on MTS, others on youtube), but some tutorials also cover making custom tone ramps. Also, take time to include the normals maps. Most do not, which is why muscle slider does not work on so many replacement skins. That cleavage does not work is far less noticeable.

How do I make skins using GIMP? I can't find a tutorial that uses GIMP.
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#5 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 5:01 AM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I'm not really sure why this is in the help forum.

But as far as I know, skins are just textures and I've modified several using just photoshop after extracting it with S3Pe. So I would imagine it is not that difficult.

https://www.engadget.com/adobe-will...-195111997.html

Because I don't know where else to post it??
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#6 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 5:07 AM
Here's the skin I was working on: https://easyupload.io/ieweke
Whenever I open it in S3PE and click on the face files (that I recolored from a base skin), it doesn't show up and just reads as:
"Error reading resource 0x00B2D882-0x00000000-0x91D3016D6F1A9C60
Front-end Distribution: 14-0222-1852
Library Distribution: 14-0222-1852

Source: mscorlib
Assembly: mscorlib, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089
Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
----
Stack trace:
at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
at System.Reflection.RuntimeConstructorInfo.Invoke(BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)
at System.RuntimeType.CreateInstanceImpl(BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, BindingFlags bindingAttr, Binder binder, Object[] args, CultureInfo culture, Object[] activationAttributes)
at System.Activator.CreateInstance(Type type, Object[] args)
at S3PIDemoFE.ABuiltInValueControl.<>c__DisplayClassd.<Lookup>b__a(KeyValuePair`2 x)
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereEnumerableIterator`1.MoveNext()
at System.Linq.Enumerable.FirstOrDefault[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source)
at S3PIDemoFE.MainForm.getPreviewControl()
----

Source: DDSPanel
Assembly: DDSPanel, Version=1402.22.1843.33690, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
Unsupported DDS Pixel Format Four CC. Got 0x8, only DXT1/3/5 supported.
----
Stack trace:
at System.Drawing.Dds.DdsHeader.DdsPixelFormat..ctor(Stream s)
at System.Drawing.Dds.DdsHeader..ctor(Stream s)
at System.Drawing.Dds..ctor(Stream s)
at System.Drawing.DdsFile.Load(Stream input, Boolean supportHSV)
at System.Windows.Forms.DDSPanel.DDSLoad(Stream stream, Boolean supportHSV)
at S3PIDemoFE.DDSControl..ctor(Stream s)
----"
Forum Resident
#8 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 3:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by shota-oddball
How do I make skins using GIMP? I can't find a tutorial that uses GIMP.

One of those situations that I set up my GIMP several years ago for .dds and normals mapping, and do not recall all of the links, but GIMP website is good start.

Also, have you looked thru the skininator pages? https://modthesims.info/download.ph...=1&goto=newpost Cmar is still active, and reply as recently as 18 June.

I am not sure how you made your package. I open in Skininator, and see different instance numbers from what I see in the package. You can't just toss something into S3PE from somewhere else and have it work. Everything in a package generally is internally referenced to everything else in that package. In Skininator, I cannot view the normals you used, which have different numbers in the package. Not sure how you did that. And I cannot open the img in my GIMP, which I use all of the time to open .dds.

If you download ALL of the Skininator files, and put everything in a folder, you have all the basics, including textures and tone ramps.
Forum Resident
#9 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 4:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
wow whose the dick that clicked unhelpful. shit like that is why i don't really help people anymore.

but to answer your question, it goes into the modding forum.

I guess, ask moderator to move the thread?
Me? Sarcastic? Never.
staff: administrator
#10 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 6:02 PM
Default MTS2 Staff Reply
  • General - Thread Moved
    Thread moved to correct forum.

Field Researcher
Original Poster
#11 Old 25th Jun 2022 at 10:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by LadySmoks
One of those situations that I set up my GIMP several years ago for .dds and normals mapping, and do not recall all of the links, but GIMP website is good start.

Also, have you looked thru the skininator pages? https://modthesims.info/download.ph...=1&goto=newpost Cmar is still active, and reply as recently as 18 June.

I am not sure how you made your package. I open in Skininator, and see different instance numbers from what I see in the package. You can't just toss something into S3PE from somewhere else and have it work. Everything in a package generally is internally referenced to everything else in that package. In Skininator, I cannot view the normals you used, which have different numbers in the package. Not sure how you did that. And I cannot open the img in my GIMP, which I use all of the time to open .dds.

If you download ALL of the Skininator files, and put everything in a folder, you have all the basics, including textures and tone ramps.

Okay, thank you