Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Field Researcher
Original Poster
#1 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 9:12 AM
Default Recoloring a box
Hi,
I'm trying to recolour the cracker box mesh by Cat at TSR, and I'm having trouble with the images I find on google. On the image of the laundry powder below, I want to crop the image for the information that is on the left side of the box. But since it's on an angle, I don't really know how to. Is this possible?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 4:34 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Mar 2020 at 4:48 PM.
First of all, you may want to find an image without all the copy protection lines.That's not going to look good, and it's a lot to edit out.

See if other searching options can give you a better selection of pictures. I tried different combos of these words "surf sunshine laundry essential oils" and got different options with most of them.

If you're working in Photoshop, you can use the "Transform" tool (mark area, preferably just the area you want and no white - use the polygonal lasso tool to just get the box, copy this area and paste into a new layer, then hit Ctrl+T for transform, right-click in the area, which should now have options like perspective, Skew, Distort, etc.). Using it will cause some pixellation, so don't overdo it. If you make a copy of the area you want to modify, you can do a little bit of testing to familiarize yourself with the tool.

Here's a video showing what you can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jmjozXJ-wo (it's for CS6, but the tool hasn't changed much with the different versions, and is probably somewhat similar for other Adobe photo editors too).

Polygonal lasso tool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIsmBveEZ6A (there are several marking tools, this is often the best one for angled straight lines.

I think other programs may have similar versions of these tools. Gimp has something like them (but I'm so used to Photoshop I have issues with the UI and icons in Gimp, so I always struggle to find them - but there are probably tutorials).
Former Hamster
retired moderator
#3 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 8:57 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
First of all, you may want to find an image without all the copy protection lines.That's not going to look good, and it's a lot to edit out.

He just wants the thin left side, so not a lot to edit out there, if anything at all. Straightening it out is another story though and it may be easier to just find a different image to use.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 7th Mar 2020 at 9:39 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 7th Mar 2020 at 9:53 PM.
Straightening it out is pretty easy with the transform tool. (in Photoshop) I used the guide lines to get straight lines so I had something to go from, marked just the side with the polygon tool to mark the area, copied and pasted, used transform on the new layer, "skew" on top and bottom right side to level them out. Didn't take more than a couple minutes (considering I'm comfortable with the tools, that is - it will take longer if you've never done it before).

I wasn't very thorough (just wanted to show it's possible) so it may still be a little off. I also didn't do anything to stretch the texture, so it's still a bit too thin in the horizontal plane, and you may want to do fixes here and there, or do it from scratch so you can do it for other textures - it's a very useful skill, because you rarely see good pictures of the sides and back of boxes when doing Google searches. Grocery and warehouse sites like Target and Amazon, or the company site making the product occasionally have pictures of the sides and back, so I sometimes go to those sites to see if they have any useful pictures.
Screenshots