Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Scholar
Original Poster
#1 Old 13th May 2020 at 4:41 AM
Default Can't get animation to play on custom Posebox.
I'm trying to test an animation on the posebox that I had made but it does nothing. The sim just stands there and does nothing.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Custom Animation Test Box.rar (19.2 KB, 8 downloads)
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 13th May 2020 at 5:47 PM
The animation - is it one you made or one you extracted from the game? The ones that interact with objects (a2o, for instance) can occasionally be a bit iffy.

I think there's some difference between how you'd set up ingame animations, versus player-made animations/poses, and it would depend a bit on how you want the poses to work (stop button, stop via icon, run indefinitely, etc.) but it's been a while since I did extracted ones. The ones in an ingame animation box I've made do look a bit different, but I think they're queued and don't have a stop button (I think I used Jaydee's EP boxes as a guide, if I remember correctly). My regular "player-made indefinite poses with stop button" poseboxes look pretty much like the ones in your box.

If you extract ingame animations, use the original names of the poses, of course - but if you make animations from scratch, the naming could matter, so you'll usually want to name them "a-" and not "a2o-"

Extracted poses from games you already have should not be added as an extra file - they can be added as text directly to the Text List, and the game will be able to pull them from the proper files.

The Resource List in your box looks very messy and has a lot of things that could be interfering. "Pro" beginner tip is to clone an existing box that works the way you want it to work. One I made a while back has only two Text List resources, one named "Anims - Adult" (where the animations are listed, with the 0 empty) and the other "Object - Model Name" where the object itself is listed (not sure if you could make do with just one, but it's possible).
Outside of BHAVs for the poses there's just a "Function - Init" and "Function - Main" BHAV (no more is needed).

If it's a player-made pose, I can't test the pose itself, because poses/animations can't be extracted from files for use in Milkshape or other programs - which means I can't check if there's anything wrong with how you've made the pose or exported it.

I hope some of this made sense...
Scholar
Original Poster
#3 Old 13th May 2020 at 8:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
The animation - is it one you made or one you extracted from the game? The ones that interact with objects (a2o, for instance) can occasionally be a bit iffy.

I think there's some difference between how you'd set up ingame animations, versus player-made animations/poses, and it would depend a bit on how you want the poses to work (stop button, stop via icon, run indefinitely, etc.) but it's been a while since I did extracted ones. The ones in an ingame animation box I've made do look a bit different, but I think they're queued and don't have a stop button (I think I used Jaydee's EP boxes as a guide, if I remember correctly). My regular "player-made indefinite poses with stop button" poseboxes look pretty much like the ones in your box.

If you extract ingame animations, use the original names of the poses, of course - but if you make animations from scratch, the naming could matter, so you'll usually want to name them "a-" and not "a2o-"

Extracted poses from games you already have should not be added as an extra file - they can be added as text directly to the Text List, and the game will be able to pull them from the proper files.

The Resource List in your box looks very messy and has a lot of things that could be interfering. "Pro" beginner tip is to clone an existing box that works the way you want it to work. One I made a while back has only two Text List resources, one named "Anims - Adult" (where the animations are listed, with the 0 empty) and the other "Object - Model Name" where the object itself is listed (not sure if you could make do with just one, but it's possible).
Outside of BHAVs for the poses there's just a "Function - Init" and "Function - Main" BHAV (no more is needed).

If it's a player-made pose, I can't test the pose itself, because poses/animations can't be extracted from files for use in Milkshape or other programs - which means I can't check if there's anything wrong with how you've made the pose or exported it.

I hope some of this made sense...

Yeah It's an edited version of the bellyflop diving board animation. I had used Weshowe's disassembler then I had imported and edited the animation in Milkshape and exported and replaced the animation. The animations seem to work fine on the cloned diving board that I had made but when i'm trying to test them out specially using the posebox for easier testing that's when it wouldn't work or play and I still couldn't figure out what the problem is. Thanks for your help by the way and what's the resource list that you had mentioned?
Mad Poster
#4 Old 13th May 2020 at 8:42 PM
Does the animation have the same name as the one ingame? If so, try giving it another name (export with a different name - just renaming isn't always effective). Animations are very picky when it comes to names. If you want it to overwrite it could work (possibly as just an animation file? I'm not sure), but if you want it in addition to the other, then you'll have to make sure they have different names.

Resource list in SimPE (Usually it's Resource Tree to the left, Resource View to the right, Plugin View at the bottom - but can vary depending on SimPE outlay)
Scholar
Original Poster
#5 Old 13th May 2020 at 11:05 PM Last edited by Squidconqueror : 13th May 2020 at 11:16 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
Does the animation have the same name as the one ingame? If so, try giving it another name (export with a different name - just renaming isn't always effective). Animations are very picky when it comes to names. If you want it to overwrite it could work (possibly as just an animation file? I'm not sure), but if you want it in addition to the other, then you'll have to make sure they have different names.

Resource list in SimPE (Usually it's Resource Tree to the left, Resource View to the right, Plugin View at the bottom - but can vary depending on SimPE outlay)

I could confirm that the same animation works when I replace an animation for the cloned diving board but the same animation won't work for the posebox. Here's an updated version of my posebox in case you would like to check it out. I had checked out coding in the behavior file in the diving board package and compared them to the pose box behavior code and the main difference I had spotted is that the posebox has animate overlay while the diving board has animate sim. Those probably has nothing to do with the problem but I do feel like they're worth pointing out and noting.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Custom Animation Test Box 2.rar (9.8 KB, 6 downloads)
Alchemist
#6 Old 14th May 2020 at 7:40 PM
Try fixing TGI on the animation. In the animation package, there will be a blue link on the far right that says Fix TGI. Then commit and save.
Scholar
Original Poster
#7 Old 14th May 2020 at 10:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Try fixing TGI on the animation. In the animation package, there will be a blue link on the far right that says Fix TGI. Then commit and save.

Thank you but sorry that didn't work for me either although the animation plays fine on the diving board.
Mad Poster
#8 Old 14th May 2020 at 11:37 PM
If the animation plays fine for the object you're making, why can't you test it with that object? Seems to me that would've been the best way to test the animation, rather than trying to make a posebox out of it.
Alchemist
#9 Old 14th May 2020 at 11:42 PM
You have a space in the animation name, which isn't the way game animations are named. Rename the animation using the same convention that the diving board uses, (both in the animation and in the text list) fix TGI again and see if it works.
Scholar
Original Poster
#10 Old 15th May 2020 at 2:29 AM
Unfortunately it's still not working for me. I'll upload the updated packages. I don't know what I had done wrong this time.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  Test Box.rar (9.6 KB, 4 downloads)
Alchemist
#11 Old 15th May 2020 at 3:18 AM
Okay, the other issue is that the pie menu isn't connected correctly. The number in the Action BHAV box needs to be the instance number of the BHAV that corresponds to the interaction. Fix that, and your Sim will animate (I actually fixed this and tested it in the game this time, so I'm sure that this will work). The other things I mentioned in the previous posts did need to be fixed too, though, so keep them in mind for your future work with animation.
Scholar
Original Poster
#12 Old 15th May 2020 at 3:40 AM
Quote: Originally posted by omglo
Okay, the other issue is that the pie menu isn't connected correctly. The number in the Action BHAV box needs to be the instance number of the BHAV that corresponds to the interaction. Fix that, and your Sim will animate (I actually fixed this and tested it in the game this time, so I'm sure that this will work). The other things I mentioned in the previous posts did need to be fixed too, though, so keep them in mind for your future work with animation.

I had just figured that out myself and now the animation's playing like it's supposed to and I got to say that I still got a lot of work to do on it. I'll just reimport the original animation and redo it that way. Thank you so much Simmer22 and you for helping me figure out what the problem is. Now I could finally test my animations faster and easily which I want to test them out using a posebox.