Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#1 Old 1st Jul 2021 at 6:16 PM Last edited by CatherineTCJD : 7th Jul 2021 at 3:16 PM.
Default How to Make Maxis Rebuilds/Remodels Permanent
Have you ever remodeled a Downtown Lot - made everything perfect for you simmies to enjoy - and then lost your hood somehow? Now you have to start over... and try to remember every detail you added to that Eaxis Downtown Lot to make it enjoyable for your sims. *sigh* ...and then your HD dies, and you have to do it ALL over again! OMG!

Well - this is how to keep that perfect made-over lot, so the next time you have to restart your hood, it is already there, ready and waiting, for your sims to come play.

WARNING - Doing this modifies the original installation files of your game. So, make back-ups of your installation files first!
Also - if you ever re-install the game (Or have Origin "fix" your installation,) these files will be wiped out. So, make another a back up of your changes when you are done.
Note: I use Origin's UC (Ultimate Collection,) if you use a disk install or some other game installation, your folder paths will be a bit different

As an example lot - I'm going to fix up Downtown's Sunshine Park:
1 - Use the Clean Installer to find the original EAxis lot in the ProgFiles.
Browse to C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\EP2\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\D001\Lots
- Get the FileName/Lot# - like for our example, Downtown's Sunshine Park is lot number D001_Lot19

2 - Go into the game and fix up the Sunshine Park exactly to your simmies specifications. (Hint - I wouldn't use CC because if you do, and remove that CC down the road, then this lot will crash when you restart your hood.)

3 - Use the Clean Installer again to find your made-over lot in your Docs folder.
Browse to Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Neighborhoods\N001\Lots (I have Downtown assosciated with PleasantView - YMMV)
It will have the same name, but a different Lot number.
- Make a note of the new lot number (In my example it is: N001_Lot237)

4 - Go to the Documents Folder that has your new lot...
Mine is Documents\EA Games\The Sims™ 2 Ultimate Collection\Neighborhoods\N001\Lots
- Make a copy of the lot, stick it on your desktop.
- Rename it to the original name: D001_Lot19

5 - Go to the ProgFile original lot's location C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection\Double Deluxe\EP2\TSData\Res\NeighborhoodTemplate\D001\Lots
- rename the original file's extension (I change .package to .packageORIG) so the game won't try to read the file.
- Move your new lot file into the folder. Done!

6 - Next time you generate a new game - your "new" rebuilt lot will be used in place of the original EAxis lot.

This works for all the Eaxis lots that came with the game. If a lot has an original ProgramFiles/installation.package, then it can be rebuilt and saved. Vacation Lots, I'm lookin' at you! Oh, yeah! ...this also works for the pre-made sim's houses (occupied lots.) When you start a "fresh" game/new save - their house will already be made-over. I've even done Olive Specter's place this way, and upon re-starting the game her lot and all of it's ghosts were good to go!

If you are new to messing around with the ProgramFiles and aren't sure where to find certain EA lots - there are many different tutorials that explain where to find each of them. Look for tutorials about installing Stealth Hoods and/or Fixed Hoods. Good Luck!
Screenshots

Please ~ support my TS2 habit! Shop at my Etsy shops:
CatherinesJewelry ~ Artisan Jewelry
Catherine's MOUSE ~ Up/Recycled Jewelry
and Vintage Stuffeths
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 4th Jul 2021 at 11:27 AM
Thank you - I think I have just found my new project
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Jul 2021 at 2:26 PM
LOL! I'm happy I could help someone
I have been doing it this way for a few years now, and just kinda figured everyone knew how to do this!
I posted how to do it in the 'Stupid Questions Thread' once, and had quite a few "Thanks, I didn't know that!" answers. And then, somebody posted on Tumblr the other day about how they kept having to remake the same lots because they kept having issues with their game... I thought, "Hey! Maybe a tutorial could be useful."

Please let me know if you have any questions with this

and Vintage Stuffeths
Mad Poster
#4 Old 4th Jul 2021 at 3:51 PM
I probably would have figured it out - but it honestly never occurred to me! I am looking forward to having less lots in my lot bin Thanks again.
Scholar
#5 Old 15th Aug 2022 at 7:28 AM
I've tried the Lot Bin Overhaul you made - such an awesome work! - and it inspired me to do my own custom re-models of the original houses.
I've only made a few but I thought it would be nice testing them and what not, so I decided to search for a tutorial before I'm done working on them. To me surprise it's also you who wrote the tutorial! Oh, big big thanks for it! You made my day - again.
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6 Old 15th Aug 2022 at 2:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Amura
...To me surprise it's also you who wrote the tutorial! Oh, big big thanks for it! You made my day - again.

YAY!
Thank you for commenting - you brightened my day too!
Please let me know if you have any questions with the tutorial.

and Vintage Stuffeths