Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 12:18 AM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 3, World Adventures, Ambitions, Late Night, Generations, Pets, Showtime, Supernatural, Seasons, University Life, Island Paradise, Into the Future
Default How do you edit the clothing that came with the sims 3 and expansions?
Sorry if I'm not posting in the right spot. I'm trying to find out how to edit clothes that came with the game not custom content? I have no idea where you find those files. I just want to change their clothing categories in CAS. I figured it out for cc but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do it for clothing that's in the game already! Please and thank you
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#3 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 1:44 AM
I'm not talking about content that you download. I figured that out. I'm talking about the clothing that comes with the game. They install with the game and I can't find where the files are so you can open them with an editor. They aren't in the documents folder. People edit game files all the time, so how do they open the files? I can't use CASP editor anyways because it says you can't use it if you have the latest update.
Quote: Originally posted by nitromon
I already answered this in your other thread. The CASP editor is the only known method other than extracting the files itself and back to using S3PE.

It's possible there are other methods I'm unaware of, but this is an old topic. You can always try this link, but it is not for someone who is not tech saavy.

https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=658461
Mad Poster
#5 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 3:10 AM Last edited by igazor : 4th Oct 2021 at 3:25 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by MissRobison
I'm not talking about content that you download. I figured that out. I'm talking about the clothing that comes with the game. They install with the game and I can't find where the files are so you can open them with an editor. They aren't in the documents folder. People edit game files all the time, so how do they open the files? I can't use CASP editor anyways because it says you can't use it if you have the latest update.

Game and Expansion/Stuff Pack assets aren't individual files. They become part of the game install, within the program files that are installed by the game. What people do (when they do this properly) is use the tools that have been discussed here to essentially make a "mod" out of each of the game assets they wish to alter, they don't alter them directly within the program files as, among other reasons, one wrong move that way can render the game unplayable.

EasyCASP Editor, for those who can get it to work, similarly produces a file in the end, one file for all of the CAS Part edits, that gets put into Mods\Packages to alter these game assets. It doesn't work directly on the program installed files either.

That or wait until @Igazor tested it.

I would prefer that someone else do the registry testing. Whatever successes or failures I end up reporting on will be specific to my Steam/1.67 install. I do not have an Origin/1.69 install anywhere; Origin for Windows and I got annoyed at each other and broke up many years ago now. (Well, I do have Orign/1.67 and Origin/1.70 on the macOS side of things for testing purposes, but EasyCASP isn't going to run on the macOS on modern operating systems and there's no registry, so that's kind of a dead end there...)
Mad Poster
#7 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 3:22 AM Last edited by igazor : 4th Oct 2021 at 3:50 AM.
but wait wait wait... I thought you are running the Mac version? Then I don't know about Macs.

I have more than one computer and more than one operating system. Uhm, have we ever met?

On my iMac desktop, I have dual boot. On the Mac side, TS3 is installed under Origin/1.70 but of course it's the Mac version of the game. On the Windows side, TS3 is installed under Steam/1.67. It's the Windows version, there is no TS3 for Mac under Steam.

On my Macbook Pro laptop, I have Oriign/1.67 (32-bit), but of course that's the Mac version again.

I play, for real, on the Steam/1.67 install running on Windows 10. The others are, again, just for testing.
Mad Poster
#9 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 3:30 AM
Yes, I will do the testing. But not right away, it's getting a bit late on a Sunday night and I'm going into what will be a very work-heavy week. But I'll make the time to registry test what I can, when I can get to it. There's no discomfort level here at all, I know how the registry works and how to back it up first. I just didn't properly understand, until now, what I was supposed to be testing as new entries in there.

If someone else beats me to it, so much the better.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#11 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 3:33 AM
So the only way people can edit game content is by using this CASP editor and if you have the latest update then you are just sol unless you are a computer whiz and can edit the registry manually? I'm not stupid. I've edited the registry before but it seems like there's a whole lot of editing going on and the link I was given didn't make it 100% clear how you're supposed to edit the registry. Perhaps if there was clear step by step instructions on exactly how to edit the registry for this program to work, I wouldn't be so hesitant to try. Thanks for the explanation though. I appreciate it. Changing clothing categories isn't that big of a deal but maybe later I would want to learn how to mod game content and I'm sad that the only program to do this with isn't a simple install.

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
Game and Expansion/Stuff Pack assets aren't individual files. They become part of the game install, within the program files that are installed by the game. What people do (when they do this properly) is use the tools that have been discussed here to essentially make a "mod" out of each of the game assets they wish to alter, they don't alter them directly within the program files as, among other reasons, one wrong move that way can render the game unplayable.

EasyCASP Editor, for those who can get it to work, similarly produces a file in the end, one file for all of the CAS Part edits, that gets put into Mods\Packages to alter these game assets. It doesn't work directly on the program installed files either.

I would prefer that someone else do the registry testing. Whatever successes or failures I end up reporting on will be specific to my Steam/1.67 install. I do not have an Origin/1.69 install anywhere; Origin for Windows and I got annoyed at each other and broke up many years ago now. (Well, I do have Orign/1.67 and Origin/1.70 on the macOS side of things for testing purposes, but EasyCASP isn't going to run on the macOS on modern operating systems and there's no registry, so that's kind of a dead end there...)
Mad Poster
#12 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 3:46 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MissRobison
So the only way people can edit game content is by using this CASP editor

No, EasyCASP is an "easy" way to edit CASPs (CAS Parts) in particular. I mean really easy, it reads the game assets and gives you a usable interface to edit stuff, then spits out a file in the end that is your EasyCASP "mod" file that includes all of your past and current changes. And if you mess it up, it's all removable in one step -- just take the one file out and clear the cache files (okay, that's two steps).

The other way is to use S3OC (a different tool from S3PE, the S3OC tool is an object clone maker) to create new instances of game objects, edit the new instances, and thus create your own "mods." One file, I think, for each game asset altered. This bit is beyond my pay grade, so to speak, as I've never had the patience or taken the time to learn how to do this but others here are experts at it. And hopefully they will correct me if I've just described the process incorrectly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#13 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 4:10 AM
Hmm...what is TSR workshop? Someone mentioned using that. Idk. It's not a big deal. Thanks for trying to help.

Quote: Originally posted by igazor
No, EasyCASP is an "easy" way to edit CASPs (CAS Parts) in particular. I mean really easy, it reads the game assets and gives you a usable interface to edit stuff, then spits out a file in the end that is your EasyCASP "mod" file that includes all of your past and current changes. And if you mess it up, it's all removable in one step -- just take the one file out and clear the cache files (okay, that's two steps).

The other way is to use S3OC (a different tool from S3PE, the S3OC tool is an object clone maker) to create new instances of game objects, edit the new instances, and thus create your own "mods." One file, I think, for each game asset altered. This bit is beyond my pay grade, so to speak, as I've never had the patience or taken the time to learn how to do this but others here are experts at it. And hopefully they will correct me if I've just described the process incorrectly.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#15 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 5:38 AM
I did what you said and still nothing happened. I'm not entirely sure if this is correct, but this is what I thought you meant...and just to be certain this http://www.simlogical.com/ContentUp...e/uploads/1589/ is the correct program?
[IMG][/IMG]
Screenshots
Test Subject
Original Poster
#17 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 6:34 AM Last edited by MissRobison : 4th Oct 2021 at 6:49 AM.
It doesn't say anything. When I click the CASP_Editor.exe file, nothing at all happens. The "Install Dir" was already there but "ExePath" was not. I am slightly confused on the exact location of sims 3 in program files because not only is there the an Origin Games folder with sims 3 files, there's also an Electronic Arts folder that has sims 3 files as well. There's no TS3.exe in the Electronic Arts folder though....I think I figured out why there are two folders. Because some of the games I installed with a disc and was unable to link to my origin account because I had bought them second hand and the code had been used. I guess all the games were originally in the Electronic Arts folder but then when I associated the ones I could with origin, it then put the files in Origin Games folder. Anyways, I'm not sure if that would affect anything. I tried lol.

PS.
I went looking through the registry, and I'm thinking maybe placing those strings in the Sims 3 folder isn't where they should go. The whole issue is with the new update which takes the game and places them in a folder called Origin Games. There's a folder in the registry called Origin Games which I'm guessing is where the sims info has be relocated. Anyways, this is out of my league but that probably has something to do with it.

Wait, so all those information was already there? I really wish I can test this myself b/c there are still so many other ideas and areas to examine. So when you run the CASP Editor, it says "Sims 3 not installed" or "Can't find Sims 3?"

Now there are some possibilities.

1) CASP Editor is looking at other areas in the registry for proof Sims 3 is installed.

2) The folder organization in 1.69 is different than 1.67.

3) This is completely much more complicated than I had anticipated.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#19 Old 4th Oct 2021 at 7:09 AM
Oh wow tedious indeed. It's ridiculous dumb that the game doesn't allow you to check categories on or off to begin with. Not everyone has the same idea of what swim wear and underwear should be. Anyways, thanks for helping. I'm sure I can do this if I have to. I had already figured it out for the cc. I couldn't find the game files because I didn't know they were in a folder called Origin Games. I was looking in Electronic Arts. Aren't I illogical lol

PS
I had a quick question about the .sims3packs...I've been using that S3Package Viewer to install the files and it's converting them to .package files. If these are being converted, is the game still gonna recognize the content I'm using? It's changing the file to a .package file with that long string of numbers/letters for a name so I'm wondering how the game is gonna know which files I was using already? I never thought about that before I started this and now I feel like I've made a terrible error.

well, this still needs a lot of experimenting to figure out exactly what CASP editor needs. Unfortunately, I can't do that since I'm not running 1.69.

But there is one way you can do to modify whatever clothes you want without having to edit the game files or even extract them. However, it will need you to familiarize yourself with S3PE. S3PE is an extremely useful tool, not just for modders.

So let's begin by examining a clothing package file.
1) In every clothing file there is a CASP file. In S3PE, on the bottom there is a button called "grid." Highlight the CASP file in the selection and click grid will open up a very straight forward UI that allows you to use boolean "true or false" to set clothing category, age, etc...

2) Take any custom CC clothes and extract a CASP file. It is recommended that you use the same CASP for the type of clothing, hair, accessory you want to modify. For example, if you want to modify a clothing top for AF, then take a CC you downloaded that is a clothing top for AF. Use that CASP as a template.

3) Install NRAAS Dresser. Now, this program is kind of a derpy derp derp in that the programmers for some reason made it default to immediately randomize clothing, makeup, hair, etc... @Igazor maybe someone can relate to them this is a dumb idea. So when you put in dresser and run the game, quickly go into the options and disable as many of the randomizers as you can. You only need to do this once then save the game and it will not do that again in the same save game.

Now the dresser allows you to right click on an outfit during CAS to get the information of the clothes, hair, etc.. and what you want is the instance number. Every object has an instance number.

4) Once you got the instance number of the CASP part you want, then rename your template CASP with this number. Then using S3PE, create a new package file and import this CASP into it. Call the package whatever you want, like "My custom CASP." You may import as many CASP into it as you like in the future.

5) Now in S3PE, you may use the "grid" to edit the CASP and change the parameters to whatever you like for that outfit. Make sure to save and put the new CASP package in your mod folder.

----------------

If you want to do the more direct way?

1) Using dresser, find the instance number of the clothing/hair/accessory you want to change.
2) Then using S3PE, open the fullbuild package file located in the gamefile directory. There should be more than one. Look sort by "tag" and look for CASP files, then look for the instance number you want.
3) Extract that CASP file to your HDD. Then create a "new" package file and import that CASP. Then you can edit it using the grid and whatever you want. You can also import other CASP into the same file later, so have a collection of your modified CASP.
4) Make sure to save after editing each CASP. Put your new CASP package in the mods folder.

It's basically what the CASP editor does, but we're doing it manually. It's still not that hard, but a bit tedious