Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#1 Old 24th Aug 2020 at 3:31 PM
Default What determines orientation of object as it comes out of catalog?
This is probably one of those questions that if you've experienced the issue, you'll know exactly what I mean. Otherwise, you might not.

When you click an object in the catalog and it comes out into the game environment, sometimes it's turned around and the first thing you have to do is use the < > to turn it to face you so you see it properly. A lot of Criquette's seem to do this, for example. I have assumed this has something to do with it's orientation to the origin in Blender (or whatever you use), but haven't been able to figure it out. Does anyone know for sure? Ideally, I'd like to know if I could achieve a consistent result by putting a certain face to the front ortho view, for example. Does this also determine the thumbnail that is automatically generated? I have a couple of objects where the thumbnail is also not a front view of the object.
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 24th Aug 2020 at 4:28 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 24th Aug 2020 at 7:00 PM.
The CRES usually controls the rotation and translation (XYZ placement) of the slots and the joints. I'm not too sure about footprint editing (never done it), so for all I know the actual trick could be there.

For objects that don't need to be a spesific rotation, like deco and such, it helps to position them so they are faced in the position you want them to be ("front view" in Milkshape is usually the default setting of the green arrow ingame, at least for one-tile objects). It does depend on the object you've cloned, and whichever changes you've done to the settings of the object. If you're unsure, check ingame first.

Some objects with a different orientation have a thumbnail file in the CRES (which is also the reason some cloned items get small/large thumbnails or thumbs with the wrong orientation).

Alchemist
Original Poster
#3 Old 24th Aug 2020 at 6:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by simmer22
For objects that don't need to be a specific rotation, like deco and such, it helps to position them so they are faced in the position you want them to be ("front view" in Milkshape is usually the default setting of the green arrow in game, at least for one-tile objects). It does depend on the object you've cloned, and whichever changes you've done to the settings of the object.

Having them facing "front" doesn't seem to give consistent results, but given all the possibilities you mention, I can see why. If I find anything useful, I'll update. If anyone else knows, I'd love to hear!