Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Updated Feb 11th - SEVEN's FIY TV Channel with Mechanical Skill Gain

by bkn1978 Posted 4th Feb 2006 at 8:59 AM - Updated 27th Feb 2006 at 8:17 AM by bkn1978 : New information regarding mod

104 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 101 Feedback Posts, 2 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 5
Test Subject
#76 Old 6th Mar 2006 at 8:09 PM
Default Zips
Please re upload this as a zip, this is a great hack it would come in really handy if we could actually use it. Thanks
Test Subject
#77 Old 8th Mar 2006 at 5:11 PM
Does this work with OFB?

If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door.
-- Paul Beatty

Never do anything that you don't want to explain to the paramedics
--Author Unknown
Scholar
#78 Old 9th Mar 2006 at 5:30 AM Last edited by aeval99 : 9th Mar 2006 at 6:43 PM.
What a wonderful idea. I love sitting my sims down by the tv to (cook)skill when I'm doing something else. I don't know how I missed this before.

Brilliant!

I'm also curious as to the OFB compatibility issue?
Test Subject
Original Poster
#79 Old 10th Mar 2006 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimmerinLalaLand
Does this work with OFB?

YES! You just have to edit the broadcast.ini file in the OFB game folder... However!!... I've found a new way to make the channel work by only editing the broadcast.ini file in the my documents area (Thanks again to Numenor). This is good as if someone installs this mod this new way without OFB... Then they go and buy OFB and install it... They wont have to do ANYTHING to make the mod work, it will still be functioning

I'll update my install on how to do that in a few days as my workload got swamped a bit (bleh!)

Quote: Originally posted by WPrettyLilAngel
Please re upload this as a zip, this is a great hack it would come in really handy if we could actually use it. Thanks

I uploaded zips before and they were removed due to duplication. Let me look in to this.

I used to be indecisive... But now I'm not sure
Test Subject
#80 Old 28th Mar 2006 at 6:11 AM
Great idea! I would love it if you could change interests by watching a news channel or a public access channel. Do you know if the yummy channel increases interest in food? If not that would be cool. :2cents:

Might not be doable or even similar but that would be great too. You've got me thinkin now. . .

I guess logic could increase with a news channel or public access type channel.

Thanks so much!
Test Subject
#81 Old 29th Mar 2006 at 2:24 PM
Wow, this is great. thanks!
Lab Assistant
#82 Old 13th Apr 2006 at 4:39 AM
guess whos back lol...I got a new computer about a month ago and am trying to get all my good downloads back espeacially this one. well Ive saved both files (open was not an option) and.. they are only a file (each).. no folder like it was.. do I just place the main file in downloads and create a channel folder for the movie ? ive esarched this thread for "new installation instructions" but found none.. any advice or is the file just corrupted now and needs to be reuploaded ?
Mad Poster
#83 Old 11th Jul 2006 at 11:58 AM
This is awesome! I was hoping for something like this for a long time (and it took me a while to peruse the mod downloads...). I love the films you used for the channel. Is there supposed to be sound with them?

Addicted to The Sims since 2000.
Test Subject
#84 Old 13th Aug 2006 at 1:37 AM
Charisma could be "Court TV", or "Debate TV". Nothing teaches people motivation more than politics. :D
Test Subject
#85 Old 18th Aug 2006 at 11:26 PM
Thanks This Is Sooo Cool
Test Subject
#86 Old 30th Aug 2006 at 3:13 PM
I would like a logic (science) TV !!! This is Awesome !!!
Test Subject
#87 Old 7th Sep 2006 at 2:15 PM
I'm having trouble viewing the FIY channel. It appears in the pie menu, and when my Sims go to view it, a blue flashing screen appears. However they still earn mechanical skill. Any suggestions? I have the following expansion packs and stuff: University, Nightlife, OFB and FFS.
Test Subject
#88 Old 25th Sep 2006 at 4:45 AM
OMG I can't beleive I didn't see this before. I have been wanting this for a long time. Thanx so much for sharing. As for other chanels. I'll try to think of something cute and crative after I try this out.

Oooh I just thought of one after I posted of course.

TLC the logic chanel, you could have vids of chess games and using the telescope. LoL

Dyslexics Untie :P
Test Subject
#89 Old 2nd Oct 2006 at 4:17 PM
Ok sorry it took so long to post back. Tried it in the game and it is awesome. I can't wait for the rest.

One issue I found and I think this will be helpful for people in the future. You must put the files in the most recent pack you have wheather it be an ep or a stuff pack. I first put it in ofb and all i got was the flashing blue screen. So me being ever so clever LoL. Moved the files to my Glamor Life folder and Viola! Worked like a dream. I also have a great commercial for the chanel that I will post as soon as I find out how to resize AVI's.

We may be waiting for a long time. LoL

Thanx once again. Awesome Job.

Dyslexics Untie :P
Test Subject
Original Poster
#90 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 4:52 AM
I havent been around for a very long time.. I apologize. I will try to get back in to this and see if I can arrange to get the other channels made time permitting.

Thanks to Lulu - You're correct, it'll work with any Ep just have to be placed in the latest one you have installed.

For those of you gaining in mechanical skill but not seeing a picture on the screen, it's just a case of having the movies files in the wrong place - Check the install notes within the rar file for directions.

I used to be indecisive... But now I'm not sure
Field Researcher
#91 Old 10th Feb 2007 at 12:52 PM
I also agree a fantastic mod, and as far as a Charisma channel that would be great, something the kids could watch and their fun would go up to. maybe two sims talking together and arguing then hugging. some sim interaction with another sim.

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Lab Assistant
#92 Old 24th Mar 2007 at 1:43 PM
hey seven. that tv channel is a must have in my game since a long time. last night however, when playing seasons, i let one of my sims switch to the channel and the game crashed. could it be that it's not seasons compatible for some reason? i checked the whole installation and added the required lines for the additional tv channel to the broadcast.ini of seasons (and not anywhere else), so unless i missed something i am sure i did it all right.
Scholar
#93 Old 29th Mar 2007 at 6:40 PM
Cleaner, I'm using it in Seasons and it is working fine. I have used it in several houses with different TVs and I've had no crashes at all. I haven't tried it with a custom TV yet though.
Instructor
#94 Old 29th Apr 2007 at 5:58 PM
Unfortunately this crashes my Seasons+Celebrations install as well. I'm puzzled as to why, it worked just fine in Pets.
Test Subject
#95 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 9:23 AM
Ok, I must be a bit thick, also. I'm getting the infamous blue screen. They are learning the mechanical skill when watching, but there is no movie. Not only did I place the movie fies (which are .avi's) in the TvFIY folder in MyDocuments/EAGames/TS2/Movies, but I thought I might have misunderstood the directions and I put them in the proper directory of the game in Program Fies, also. I have a base TS2 install with no EPs or Stuff Packs... Thanks in advance for your help!
Instructor
#96 Old 23rd Jun 2007 at 10:56 AM
Marga: did you also change the broadcast.ini file in the game install folder, as instructed?
Test Subject
#97 Old 24th Jun 2007 at 3:49 PM
Yes, I have the network installed properly, as far as I can tell. I am able to watch it and learn from it, just not see the videos. I get that annoying flashing blue screen (which I assume is static?).
Theorist
#98 Old 11th Dec 2007 at 7:07 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 11th Dec 2007 at 7:54 PM.
Default Project Update
Inspired by this project and bkn1978's plans, I did eventually create channels for the remainder of the basic skills, as posted here: The Hollywood Movie Collection. My modified Broadcast.ini includes support for this FIY channel - I did not recreate a new mechanical skill building channel because I thought bkn1978's version was perfect already.

Note to moderators: personally I wouldn't really call this a global modification, but an object mod, but perhaps I am misunderstanding the definition. It does not change or override any global coding, but only adds a new channel to the television menus, much as Sports was added in University. The game was designed to allow the addition of channels, so no semi-globals had to be adapted or incorporated within this object. Indeed, this modification to the cloned Cooking channel is minor and inherently very safe, no matter what the game configuration, and could certainly be classified as "Complete" rather than "In Testing".
Test Subject
#99 Old 22nd May 2008 at 5:01 PM
I have a suggestion. A Logic Channel, it could be based on The Discovery Channel. Not all my sims are wealthy and this would be better then days and days of doing the crossword puzzle to boost their skills.
Test Subject
#100 Old 26th Sep 2008 at 4:27 AM
Love it! know let me see..-stalks a science sim to watch it- :D

-huggies-
Page 4 of 5