Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Test Subject
#26 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:30 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vchat20
one way i would suggest to fix the audio is to save it out as a wav like coffeehedake mentioned, but then open it up in a program called Goldwave (do a quick google search.) open up the wav file in goldwave, then simply go to save as and make sure the save as type dropdown has wave (*.wav) selected and the attributes says PCM signed 16 bit, stereo. then take that new wave file and again follow coffeehedake's directions by going into virtualdub, go to the audio menu, select wav audio and browse for the new wave file you saved in goldwave.

this in most cases will fix odd corruptions in the audio. should get you back on track with the tutorial.

Hi there
I use goldwave all the time, I will give that a go right now.
Advertisement
Test Subject
Original Poster
#27 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:32 AM
on another quick note: if that doesnt work, one last thing i would try is to download a new mp3 codec you can find here: http://www.short-media.com/download.php?d=86 . now with this, there may be 2 mp3 codecs that will show up in virtualdub. a good way to tell the difference is that the new codec will go up to 320kbps whereas the default system codec can only go up to like 56kbps.
Test Subject
#28 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:35 AM
Do i still set the thing to 22.050? or just use the wav without changing that
Test Subject
Original Poster
#29 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:38 AM
no. continue following the tutorial and use 56kbps, 22khz, stereo.

i think i should also make a note for skeptics on why i chose to use the VP60/61 codec. reason is not only does this codec have low cpu usage, but it is installed and used by The Sims 2 so everyone here has it. makes it a great choice.
Test Subject
#30 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:46 AM
it didnt work. Ill install the codec, but i dont know what that will do, dont know anything about codecs.
Test Subject
#31 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:48 AM
Quote: Originally posted by vickysakamoto
it didnt work. Ill install the codec, but i dont knowhat that will do, dont know anything about codecs.
\\um

where do I extract it to? it doesnt seem to do anything but extract.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#32 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 6:50 AM
run the file inside the zip file it will install the codec.
Test Subject
#33 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 7:01 AM
No matter what I do, it just doesnt work. I tried again, and I just tried agian and again. I guess I should give up. It just shits me that it workds for some and not for me blah! I hate computers.

Anyway, thank you to both of you for trying to help me. I appreciate it.
Test Subject
#34 Old 26th Aug 2005 at 3:45 PM
Okay, so this is what it does.

I resample the wav to like 2000! really really bad quality, then use virtual dub following the tutorial. Then I put it in the game..

The audio plays for longer the less the resample number, only still, at some point it started to loop again from beginning while the video continues normal.

Does anyone have any idea why? I really want to get the audio to work.
Test Subject
#35 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 6:37 AM
Good call
Goldwave is another one of my "install this first after reformatting" proggies
Along with VirtualDub, Premier, Photoshop, 3D Studio MAX 7, Sims2, FireFox, and WinAmp.

At the very least, if there is nothing 'wrong' with your audio track, goldwave will let you convert it to 22.050Hz before you send it back to VirtualDub to encode the Avi, which should, in theory and hopefully, solve the problem.

- Coffee
Test Subject
#36 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 10:04 AM
Quote: Originally posted by coffeehedake
Good call
Goldwave is another one of my "install this first after reformatting" proggies
Along with VirtualDub, Premier, Photoshop, 3D Studio MAX 7, Sims2, FireFox, and WinAmp.

At the very least, if there is nothing 'wrong' with your audio track, goldwave will let you convert it to 22.050Hz before you send it back to VirtualDub to encode the Avi, which should, in theory and hopefully, solve the problem.

- Coffee

It didnt solve the problem though, But Still once again, ide like to thank you all for your help anyway. I tried. Maybe I could one day try one of the movies from you, or someone on the forum to see if they work Just to see. Out of curiosity, how long do you make them in the game? a minute? just curious.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#37 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 10:09 AM
actually i have a channel full of full length movies on mine. these are the movies ive got in there so far:

Twister
I,Robot
Loony Toons: Back in Action

and each run fine for me albeit i never make it through the whole movie due to Sim ADD
Test Subject
#38 Old 27th Aug 2005 at 3:44 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Vchat20
actually i have a channel full of full length movies on mine. these are the movies ive got in there so far:

Twister
I,Robot
Loony Toons: Back in Action

and each run fine for me albeit i never make it through the whole movie due to Sim ADD

Oh I am so jealous. Thats pretty cool. Still, I wonder why the audio just wont work for me.

Anyway, have fun
Lab Assistant
#39 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 8:43 AM
I have a question. How do you save the file on your computer so you can open it on VirtualDub.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#40 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 9:31 AM
depends on what file it is and where it is. got a link?
Lab Assistant
#41 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 3:31 PM
Well theres no link. But I have a movie I bought from the store. It is Looney Tunes back in action. Sorry if I'm confusing you. I'm a mess.
Test Subject
Original Poster
#42 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 4:07 PM
well, thats a little more difficult. for converting from a dvd you will need to go to a site like videohelp.com and find a tutorial for converting dvd's to avi. there are a number of tutorials there. after its converted to avi, then you can follow the tutorial shown here.
Lab Assistant
#43 Old 30th Aug 2005 at 4:38 PM
Thanx, I will try. Btw where di yu get your movies?
Field Researcher
#44 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 2:56 PM
Erm... this may not be right bt for vidoes doesnt it have to be 120x120 frames or something like that? Why do I just keep on getting a flashing blue screen?! I had 2 Sim Videos in there, but I dont think the frames were right. OK I'll shut up now I feel intimidated you all know so much and I don't ..
Lab Assistant
#45 Old 31st Aug 2005 at 7:07 PM
I don't know. I did have a blue flashing screen but I just made sure to change the video clip. It worked for me. If it desn't change read the posts @http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...hlight=channels.

Hope this helped.
Test Subject
#46 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 4:37 AM
Is there a downloadable version of this tutorial.
Test Subject
#47 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 5:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simmygurl
Erm... this may not be right bt for vidoes doesnt it have to be 120x120 frames or something like that? Why do I just keep on getting a flashing blue screen?! I had 2 Sim Videos in there, but I dont think the frames were right. OK I'll shut up now I feel intimidated you all know so much and I don't ..

Yep, the AVI needs to be 128x128 framesize, and 15 frames per second (FPS), Vchat20 covered that in his tutorial though.

It didnt solve the problem though
At this point, I'm pretty baffled. Only thing I can think to do is have you send me the source video, and I can have a go at it.

But Still once again, ide like to thank you all for your help anyway.
Sorry I couldn't help more. I would've really have liked to help you solve the issue completely.

Out of curiosity, how long do you make them in the game? a minute? just curious.
Most of mine are around 10 minutes, and I've sat through watching a good majority of them with sims that have low Fun bars. The Thundercats episodes I have on there are a good deal longer than the 10 minute Robot Chicken episodes, as some of them have 3-5 episodes rolled into one single AVI file.

At the moment, I'm working on a custom object (a TiVo box) that everyone will be able to download and just drop their own AVI's into

Building Worlds, one polygon at a time, since 1993.
Test Subject
#48 Old 2nd Sep 2005 at 5:41 AM Last edited by coffeehedake : 2nd Sep 2005 at 5:46 AM. Reason: Clarification
Downloadable version of the TV Channel Tutorial by Vchat20
Quote: Originally posted by Monicasim
Is there a downloadable version of this tutorial.

There is now.

You'll need Adobe Reader (free) to view the tutorial, as it is in PDF format.

Enjoy.
Attached files:
File Type: rar  How to Convert Videos for Sim TV Viewing for Dummies.rar (69.1 KB, 235 downloads) - View custom content

Building Worlds, one polygon at a time, since 1993.
Test Subject
#49 Old 10th Sep 2005 at 9:40 PM
Some of my movies are 30 minutes to 60 minutes long
#50 Old 15th Sep 2005 at 8:46 AM
I'm slightly new to Virtual Dub, for starters. I thought this might help some new people like myself and save them from searching all over the net for answers.
I had an .mpg of my favorite music video (Oingo Boingo--Private Life, if you'd like to know). I read the tutorial and saw that I needed an .avi.
I converted my .mpg to .avi using Auto Gordian Knot and plugged it into Virtual Dub. I got an error message right after I clicked "save as AVI" that said something to the effect of, "decompressor not found for codec type 0050"(or something close to that).
I was bummed.
I decided to try my original .mpg file instead, since I was going to save it as an .avi in the tutorial's last step anyway. I figured, what the heck? Worst that can happen is another error message.
Well, the .mpg(mpeg-1) works just fine with the same settings as the tutorial says.
I did have to fix the interlace a bit. I set the audio to delay 150ms.
Just goes to show ya, that you might as well try stuff out.
I plan on posting a bunch of my Oingo Boingo videos.
Page 2 of 6