Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#1 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 3:18 AM
Default Building into a rabbit hole
Wonder if anybody's tried this I've gotten interested in building basements under rabbit holes... secret research facility under the science lab, catacombs in the graveyard under the mausoleum, and the like. It just occurred to me that it might be possible to build upstairs in a rabbit hole as well. Use moveobjects on to put the rabbit hole mesh over your construction, and build a couple of floors up inside the rabbit hole, the way the pyramids are done in Egypt. Have an outside entrance and go up into the rabbithole via a tunnel, so it doesn't look weird.

I know that the rabbithole meshes DO have stuff inside em, though, which might interfere with the rendering in-game. I'm gonna experiment with this, but was just wondering if anybody else has tried it, and what the results were
Advertisement
Test Subject
#2 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 3:11 PM
I tried to expand my City Hall into a larger complex, but as soon as i completed a closed room inside the space occupied by CityHall, the game would assume its an interioir object and make the entire rabbit hole disappear in map view. . .
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#3 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 6:06 PM
The amount of underground space on even the smallest lots is so massive that there should be no need to try to reclaim more space by building INTO the rabbithole shell, and as others have discovered, this is inadvisable. The "pyramids" in Egypt aren't rabbithole shells, they are large neighborhood-level objects that actually cover the entire lot plot and have been carefully messed with so the doors will align. And in general, the basement tool is awesome. It was just so bizarre and UNNATURAL building things ABOVE GROUND all the time. Who would want to live like that?

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#4 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 11:26 PM
OK, thanks for the input folks You're right, Pes, that there's plenty of room in the basement, I just thought that it might be entertaining to let the player into those buildings that they've never been able to enter before, by the back door, so to speak Still, you can do a lot by building under em.

I'm also interested in putting some of em inside a basement... want to try that with the Mausoleum... build a catacombs with a big hole in it a couple stories deep so that before you can "explore the (virtual) catacombs", you have to explore the actual catacombs!
Theorist
#5 Old 26th Dec 2009 at 11:48 PM
It isn't like we couldn't build basements before. Since TS2 I rarely built houses without basements. Shoot, in TS2 everyone had to have a basement just to hide the ugly career reward objects!

Months back I was building a lot with the burglar den underneath city hall. It made sense to me to put it there--after all, isn't the government full of criminals? Of course this was well before we actually had a basement tool with which to work. And it took a Sim nearly a full hour just to walk down to the level the burglar's den was on. :P

I never really thought to try to build inside a rabbit hole building because I was figuring Sims wouldn't be able to get through the walls of the rabbit hole to get to anything.
Fat Obstreperous Jerk
#6 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 3:35 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Srikandi
I'm also interested in putting some of em inside a basement... want to try that with the Mausoleum... build a catacombs with a big hole in it a couple stories deep so that before you can "explore the (virtual) catacombs", you have to explore the actual catacombs!
The potential exists for making good-looking underground rabbitholes, if you format them similarly to, say, dungeon portals in NWN, so you can paste them up against a basement wall, creating a rabbithole portal underground. The main problem with creating truly awesome shit is that I need slaves. PEOPLE NEED TO VOLUNTEER TO BE MY SLAVES.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I cannot accept, and the wisdom to hide the bodies of those I had to kill because they pissed me off.
Theorist
#7 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:31 AM
Pescado, if you can find volunteers to be your slaves, let me know--I could use a couple thousand too! :P
Eminence Grise
Original Poster
#8 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 4:56 AM
I think if they volunteer to be slaves, they are not technically slaves
Theorist
#9 Old 27th Dec 2009 at 5:48 AM
Quote:
I think if they volunteer to be slaves, they are not technically slaves

'Tis but a mere technicality, Srikandi.