Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
#151 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 5:20 PM
What I want to do
I want an aging mod compatible with pet, as the one l like is out dated.

What I have done so far.
Open the old aging mod I like and looked at the valuer and ruleof6 from MATY which is compatible with pet. As ruleof6 works in game I started by changing the aging values to ones I wanted, put it in game and it seems to work. Sims, and pet are the ages I wanted, and the scale from short life span to epic is as I had hoped. They also age. So far so good.

I also have found the age manager file in the game so I can start from scratch if I need to.

MY QUESTION:
Both the ruleof6 file and the ea aging files have tons of addition lines of code in them that i am NOT changing. Things like camera angles, cakes, notification, skill for npc's on age up.

Do I need the whole file and the values I changed, or just the lines I am changing in the new package?

for instance do I need to keep this line
<kAgingEnabledByDefault value="True">
<!--Range: True or False. Description: whether aging is enabled by default in new worlds.-->
</kAgingEnabledByDefault>

in the new package file if i am not changing it?

or can i just include the items i am changing?

I figure I need the stuff at the top and the bottom and the items that go with the values i am changing. for instance:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<base>
<Current_Tuning>

and

<kMinimumSimDaysPerAgingYear value="1">
<!--Range: positive decimal values greater than or equal to one. Description: minimum number of Sim days that make up each year of aging.-->
</kMinimumSimDaysPerAgingYear>
<kDefaultSimDaysPerAgingYear value="7">
<!--Range: positive decimal values greater than or equal to kMinimumSimDaysPerAgingYear. Description: default number of Sim days that make up each year of aging.-->
</kDefaultSimDaysPerAgingYear>
<kMaximumSimDaysPerAgingYear value="100">
<!--Range: positive decimal values greater than or equal to kDefaultSimDaysPerAgingYear. Description: maximum number of Sim days that make up each year of aging.-->
</kMaximumSimDaysPerAgingYear>

I am new to xml and do not know how to do "tags" and was unable to come up with info in a google search. I would however be willing to read a tutorial if one is available.

thank you
Advertisement
1978 gallons of pancake batter
#152 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 6:34 PM Last edited by Buzzler : 11th Feb 2012 at 10:58 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by lowrisim
Do I need the whole file and the values I changed, or just the lines I am changing in the new package?
You need the whole file. When you put an XML override in the game, the game will only load the override from then on and ignore the original XML.

If gotcha is all you’ve got, then you’ve got nothing. - Paul Krugman
Lab Assistant
#153 Old 11th Feb 2012 at 10:52 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Buzzler
You need the whole file. When you out an XML override in the game, the game will only load the override from then on and ignore the original XML.

Good to Know. Thank you for the quick response.
Lab Assistant
#154 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 6:29 AM
There seem to be some weird inconsistencies in how EA codes. Either that, or I'm just not privy to their logic.

I want to edit NPC ages (There are mods that do this, but I've decided I don't want to download 3257029583209502 mods that will inevitably conflict when I can do my own XML tuning.) I've got the ServiceNPCSpecifications XML up, and it's referring to "Age Flags" like this:
Code:
<AppropriateAgeFlags>48</AppropriateAgeFlags>

At some points, I've seen various values. 4 is child, as that is what the Newspaper NPC's AgeFlag is set to, and teen is 8, according to the Babysitter tag. I've seen other values, 32, 48. But I was looking at some of the career resources, and I think I recall seeing values like 52 and one number greater than 100. So what does each value mean?

I tried looking for a "common XML" page or something, where it explains what some of the more common Sims 3 XML tags and values are. If it exists, I'd love a link. If it doesn't, I think it'd be super helpful. Even just as a cheat-sheet.

--elan

Traits: Computer Whiz, Over-Emotional, Genius, Ambitious, Good
Favorites: Grilled Cheese, Indie, Violet
Sign: Cancer
Née whiterider
retired moderator
#155 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 12:19 PM
Are you sure it's not a cut-down hex or hash string?

What I lack in decorum, I make up for with an absence of tact.
Forum Resident
#156 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 2:46 PM
Well, this is from the core (Sims3.SimIFace.CAS). Maybe it's useful.

public enum CASAgeGenderFlags : uint
{
None = 0u,
Baby = 1u,
Toddler = 2u,
Child = 4u,
Teen = 8u,
YoungAdult = 16u,
Adult = 32u,
Elder = 64u,
AgeMask = 127u,
Male = 4096u,
Female = 8192u,
GenderMask = 12288u,
Human = 256u,
Horse = 512u,
Cat = 768u,
Dog = 1024u,
LittleDog = 1280u,
Deer = 1536u,
Raccoon = 1792u,
LargeBird = 2048u,
SimWalkingDog = 2304u,
SimWalkingLittleDog = 2560u,
SimLeadingHorse = 2816u,
SpeciesMask = 52992u,
LeftHanded = 1048576u,
RightHanded = 2097152u,
HandednessMask = 3145728u
}

The u on the end is just a suffix, so you don't need to include that in the XML tuning.
Lab Assistant
#157 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 7:54 PM Last edited by elansims : 24th Mar 2012 at 7:55 PM. Reason: fixed for clarity
@Whiterider: Not sure. Here's more information in context, if it helps. This is still from the ServiceNPCSpecifications XML:

Code:
<Specifications> 
<NPC>Babysitter</NPC> 
<AppropriateAgeFlags>8</AppropriateAgeFlags> 
<InvalidWorlds>Egypt,China,France</InvalidWorlds> 
</Specifications> 

<Specifications> 
<NPC>Burglar</NPC> 
<AppropriateAgeFlags>48</AppropriateAgeFlags> 
<DefaultOutfitMale>MaleBurglar</DefaultOutfitMale> 
<DefaultOutfitFemale>FemaleBurglar</DefaultOutfitFemale> 
</Specifications>

What nonamena posted looks related, but it doesn't have 48. I think 48 indicates that the NPC may be of either YA or A age?

In regards to the other values I've seen, this is from the ActiveCareers XML:

Code:
<ActiveCareers> 
<ActiveCareer>PrivateEye</ActiveCareer> 
<AgeFlags>56</AgeFlags> 
<Can_Solicit_Job>x</Can_Solicit_Job> 
<Can_Join_Career_Using_Gameplay_Interactions>x</Can_Join_Career_Using_Gameplay_Interactions> 
<Can_Retire>x</Can_Retire> 
<Has_Open_Hours>x</Has_Open_Hours> 
<Overmax_Percent_Pay_Increase>0.05</Overmax_Percent_Pay_Increase>
<Highest_Level>10</Highest_Level> 
(CUT OUT LINES FOR BREVITY)
</ActiveCareers>

I'm assuming that these values all indicate what ages are allowed for each "job." It looks like 8=teen only, 48=YA or A, 56=YA or A or E? I suppose I could keep up with this assumption and go look for other values. According to nonamena's post, each age alone has a power of 2 value, which means the 48 and 56 are intermediates which indicate combinations.

As much as I like computers, coding can be so... blah.

Forum Resident
#158 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 8:46 PM
I might be totally off on this, but this is what I am thinking:

48 = 16 + 32, which would be YA or A (like you suggest)
56 = 8 + 16 + 32, which would be T, YA, or A. There is a career uniform prefix for teens, so I guess it's not totally off.

AgeMask = 127 which is the sum of all integers from baby to elder.

I hope if I'm wrong somebody will tell me. I think I will ask at the NRaas wiki and see if somebody there can help. I've been googling but have not found an answer.
Forum Resident
#159 Old 24th Mar 2012 at 9:38 PM
Ah, Twallan has explained it here: http://nraas.wikispaces.com/message...105676#52106014
Lab Assistant
#160 Old 25th Mar 2012 at 3:03 AM
Oh, thank you nonamena! God, binary. Twallen's right, that's a bit old school. ...no pun intended. I'm going to keep a .txt of his explanation somewhere so I don't go crazy trying to remember my binary.

Test Subject
#161 Old 10th Apr 2012 at 4:29 PM
Apparently there is/was a bug with the Master Chemist logic skill challenge where it resets if a Sim moves town and can't be completed again. For example my sim has 130% potions discovered and has no more left to discovered, but it's incomplete.

I wanted to fix it but couldn't find where to tune it in gameplaydata. I can find the chemistry set tuning bits, and the other logic challenges are under LogicSkill_0x18d1257adfd2ed99, but Master Chemist is missing.

I found a mod that alters many other challenges but not this one.

Does this mean it's simply not tuneable? Do I then need to look at core modding?

Thanks.
Scholar
#162 Old 18th Apr 2012 at 10:18 PM
[QUOTE=DeadEV Could not open package:
C: \ Program Files \ Electronic Arts \ The Sims 3 \ Game \ Bin \ Gameplay \ GameplayData.package [/QUOTE]

I can't open this either.....

"Program Files" are not on my system. I have "Documents" and "My Documents".

Mine shows: Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ ....there is no "game" folder in here.

Why?

I downloaded S3PE and was hoping to be able to use it.
Test Subject
#163 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 9:48 AM Last edited by Arc216cN : 2nd Jun 2012 at 10:18 AM.
I have some custom mods on my "C:\Users\David\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages" Folder, and normally it would be detected on "Custom Mods Found" in game. But it didn't show up, nor it works. How to make it works? Sorry for bad english, I'm not native in english. Thanks.

Edited:

I got three new installed mods(that's the problem :/ ) highlighted ones.

and all of them are not detected, thus not working in game.

I tried to remove Script folder and moving all files to Package folder, but it didn't help.
Forum Resident
#164 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 12:56 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arc216cN
I have some custom mods on my "C:\Users\David\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Mods\Packages" Folder, and normally it would be detected on "Custom Mods Found" in game. But it didn't show up, nor it works. How to make it works? Sorry for bad english, I'm not native in english. Thanks.

Edited:

I got three new installed mods(that's the problem :/ ) highlighted ones.

and all of them are not detected, thus not working in game.

I tried to remove Script folder and moving all files to Package folder, but it didn't help.

Tuning mods (XML/ITUN/OBJD/OBJK etc edits) do not show up in the Mod Scripts Found popup dialog. Only script mods show up there.

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Test Subject
#165 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 4:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by nonamena
Tuning mods (XML/ITUN/OBJD/OBJK etc edits) do not show up in the Mod Scripts Found popup dialog. Only script mods show up there.

Thanks for quick reply.
Btw, will it work even if it's doesn't show up?
Forum Resident
#166 Old 2nd Jun 2012 at 7:37 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Arc216cN
Thanks for quick reply.
Btw, will it work even if it's doesn't show up?

Yes. Tuning mods never show up in the mod scripts found pop up, whether they "work" or not

My Mod Index | My Mods at Simlogical | My Blog: Nona's Sims | Fix Your Premium Content

Please do not PM me with questions about modding. Please post in an appropriate forum and PM me a link to the thread if you would like me to try and help.
Test Subject
#167 Old 19th Jun 2012 at 3:35 AM
Why don't I see an editor button? What do I do? I want to mod but every time I try, something gets in my way...
Test Subject
#168 Old 29th Jun 2012 at 11:44 PM Last edited by ladyluxe : 30th Jun 2012 at 3:53 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by morphius1
I can't open this either.....

"Program Files" are not on my system. I have "Documents" and "My Documents".

Mine shows: Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3/ ....there is no "game" folder in here.

Why?

I downloaded S3PE and was hoping to be able to use it.

Same happened to me. I don't have a /game folder in there either. So does anyone know where I find the gameplay file to create a mod??

ETA: I found it. Mine is located here:

Program Files (x86) / Origin Games / The Sims 3 / Game / Bin / gameplay.package

There are also separate file folders for the expansion packs (example: Program Files (x86) / Origin Games / The Sims 3 / Late Night /), so I'm guessing if I want to edit something like bar and club open/close times I would go into the folders for Late Night....?

I downloaded my base game and 2 expansions via the EA site so I guess that's why I have a different path from everyone else? I know a couple other people had the same problem finding it so hopefully this will help.
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 8th Jul 2012 at 1:13 AM Last edited by chuckles_82 : 16th Aug 2012 at 7:57 AM.
I am currently learning how to read the _xml resources, and was wondering if there is a tutorial to understanding a lot of the abbreviations and codes used? (I don't actually want to change anything, just learn more about game mechanics)

Specifically I want to know what <Overmax_Mult> means in the SculptingData _xml. EDIT: Could it be the additional value for every nth sculpture made? If so, is it added to all sculpture types, or just the type of sculpture? Eg: If my sim makes 6 stone sculptures, the overmax_mult is 15; 6x15= 90, so is that 90 added only to stone sculptures, or to all types of sculptures?

Also, there seems to be a lot of variance in the units that multipliers are calculated in.
Most seem to be in decimal form, but referenced as a percent, so I'd assume they mean 40% when they say .4 rather than 0.4%; but sometimes they use a value like '1200', like in the minumum bonus value for a masterpiece sculpture. Would that value be in simoleans? In other words, an additive bonus rather than a multiplier? That would make sense to me, but I'd like to confirm with someone who knows more about the coding.

Edit: Yes, overmax is the additional value for every nth sculpture made. I've posted this information at Carl's Sims 3 Forum.
Test Subject
#170 Old 9th Aug 2012 at 9:57 PM
ok...silly question...browsed through first 5 pages no one asked....:D
so if i just want to change the value of something....say make learning skills instant...do I really need to create a new package or can I just save the original file (overwrite it) or would that mess up my game?
Forum Resident
#171 Old 10th Aug 2012 at 7:26 AM
Quote: Originally posted by shadav
ok...silly question...browsed through first 5 pages no one asked....:D
so if i just want to change the value of something....say make learning skills instant...do I really need to create a new package or can I just save the original file (overwrite it) or would that mess up my game?

Yes. You must always make a new package. Never overwrite the original game data.

Field Researcher
#172 Old 30th Mar 2013 at 6:31 PM
The Tutorial on Wiki needs to be updated. Pretty much none of it is correct. I printed it off before I realized just how little of it was relevant - pretty maddening. So I come to this thread and it appears that I must look through all of these threads to see if I can piece something together. I don't have that kind of attention span. I've worked with S3PE some but was looking to take it a bit further with modifying a few of the aspects of parties, since the Mods I used to use haven't been updated for quite some time.
Test Subject
#173 Old 10th Dec 2013 at 10:08 PM Last edited by AshenWolf : 12th Dec 2013 at 3:12 PM.
i decided to try and make some mods that many people refuse to make/upload, so far, i have followed direction up to editing package file. but when i open package files to edit something, there's odd language and codes that preventing me to finding and changing the code. what did i do wrong with it?

edit: never mind, i figured out thanks to one of the modder explaining how to edit package file. update this damn thing already, and give more info on how to edit/change the mod.
Test Subject
#174 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 11:53 PM
Been trying for days, but I can't figure out which xml line (in s3pe) changes the zoom. I want to be able to zoom in closer to my sim. Google has NOTHING about it, just some CAS zoom stuff.

Which line do I alter to zoom in closer? I was told by someone to change kMainZoom1 value="1.325 to a lower number, but that wasn't the right one, so I changed tons of other lines that looked right, but weren't.
Test Subject
#175 Old 12th Jul 2014 at 11:48 PM
Okay, I think I've been pretty patient. I posted about my xml problem June 16th, and it's July 12th.

Can someone tell me which xml I need to change to get zoom to go closer to my sim for crying out loud? Not sure I can wait another month for an answer. Thanks...
Page 7 of 8