Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:09 PM
Default My first hair mesh .. ever
Well, I've been trying to make my own hair mesh on 3ds Max... Then I realized I suck at meshing or anything that is mesh-related lol But I wanted to share some pics of my latest (and best, of all) attempt at meshing!

I just wanted some feedbacks on it. (I'm ready to read lots of 'OMG FLAT' comments, btw! - I know it looks flat lol)

Ah, the texture doesn't look quite good either.. I got some textures on GOS, and mixed some of them. (the ones I got were avaiable for everyone do to whatever they want to)

Well, that's it. Also hope to see some good comments like "It looks bad, but not that bad"

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:37 PM
I actually think it's kinda cute. Okay, on the head it's really flat (especially on the left side ... maybe you can do a loose streak there, too?), you will have to improve that, but where it hangs "loose" it looks nice. I would like such a casual haircut for my simmies.
Theorist
#3 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:48 PM
It's not bad. I've seen much worse from other beginners.
It looks real. The piece of hair just falling out of place, it works. :D

OMAR'S BAMFERIFIC!
Be THERE or be SQUARE.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 4:53 PM
Thanks both for your feedbacks!

Oh, okay, I will try to make a loose streak on the left side, and make the hair look less flat. (mainly on that front-top part.. now that I stared at it for a moment, I noticed that it looks reeeeally flat xD)

If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's yours. If it's run over by a car, you don't want it.
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 5:43 PM
I like it. It does need a little bit more volume on top. Since hair grows more 'up' at the scalp, it shouldn't lie flat on top. Of course, there is a fine line between the 'too high on the forehead' and the 'flat on top' hairstyles. But its a nice, normal, real hairstyle and there just are not that many of those.
Test Subject
#6 Old 11th Apr 2010 at 11:56 PM
why don't you do like cazy, do a mesh of ts2 and convert it for ts3, I think that'll be easier.
Theorist
#7 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 12:19 AM
maarco, that just gives him more work to do. Anyway this is quite good, the textures are fine I guess and yes, as you said some parts are a bit flat but that can be easily fixed.
Inventor
#8 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 12:30 AM
It's gorgeous Sav! :D
Can we see a sideview? I think the back has to be longer than the front
Theorist
#9 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 12:59 AM
Maarco If it's the same Savio I'm pretty sure he's mastered converting hair

I think the hair looks nice, it's a longer style but it's not so much hair that you can't even see your sim

Hi I'm Paul!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#10 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 1:42 AM
My TS2 discs are broken, so, I can't install it. ''/ And I don't get why it would be easier if I did it for sims2, and then converted to sims3... O.o It would be harder, that is. lol Cuz since I have converted lots of hairs from sims2 to sims3, I can handle Sims 3 'engine' better.

Also, I will take a side shot! (well, will do as soon as I finish all of my school tests xD)

And thanks SO much for your feedbacks, ppl. Very appreciated! ^^

Test Subject
#11 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 2:10 AM
This looks great so far. Amazing for your first mesh.
world renowned whogivesafuckologist
retired moderator
#12 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 6:57 AM
There's no reason it'd be easier for TS2 than TS3.

I think it's a very cute shape. My main suggestion is on the textures. The pattern of dark and light really doesn't follow the shape of the hair very much. There's a strong highlight on top, near the part, but it's a bit too strong - too light compared to the rest, and it stops rather abruptly. Give it a little more midtone/shadow right around the part itself, extend that highlight further out from the part (so rather than being about a sim-inch, it's more like two or three) and feather the edges a little more - right now it's kind of a solid block of light rather than a streaky patch of highlight, if that makes any sense.

Same with the bit in the back - there's a completely random light spot in a thick band all across the back of the head. There's no reason for a highlight there - the contours of the hair wouldn't cause that. Maybe do a slight area of highlight up toward the rounded part of the head, the crown, where the hair falls down toward the back. That area would catch the light and cause a highlight. Again, in more streaky feathery bits would look better than a solid block. You can always do a random small section of streaky strands of highlights in the lower part of the hair.

I hope this makes sense. If not, smack me around and I'll try to explain better (or draw it on your pics as that might be easier to understand).

my simblr (sometimes nsfw)

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
Panquecas, panquecas e mais panquecas.
Lab Assistant
#13 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 4:01 PM
Too high on the head, and yeah, change the texture.
Maybe some bangs? Good job anyway.
Mad Poster
#14 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 4:17 PM
I think the shape and style are fine - it's nice to see a normal hairdo for women rather than all the unnatural 'big hair' bouffant over-elaborate Peggy-esque styles all the time. I agree that it's mainly just the textures that need sorting - they're too shiny and make the hair look greasy.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#15 Old 12th Apr 2010 at 5:15 PM
Thank you very much, you all! I think I will re-mesh it, and use your tips (I will work really hard on it.. I do want this one to come out good, 'cause it may be the first and last hair I ever make in my life lol).

Oh, HP, it does make sense! Thank you, I appreciate it a lot! ^^

Field Researcher
#16 Old 13th Apr 2010 at 5:39 PM
I think that it looks good as a start. I do like the high forehead. Real people do have high forehead sometimes. Many scandinavian people have five finger forehead, including me..
And that the hair is "flat" is true too some people have thin hair. (not me haha) and it is not really realistic looking with hair floating 10 cm above your head like you see on many custom hair.

But the texture needs work.

My username here is sweetichigodream, but I am better known as Helena and/or Funny Bunny! :) would love to change username...
Locked thread | Locked by: Yogi-Tea Reason: contains useful info for noob hair makers