Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 2:32 PM
Default Have Your Teen Sims Ever Ran Away?
Pretty much what it says in the title. I've been curious about this interaction for the longest time because it's never happened organically in my game. In my experience, getting parents to not be actively involved in their children's lives, much less in providing for their basic needs, is near impossible. Most sims just seem to be obsessed with interacting with their children to the point where the only way to have a negative relationship is if one parent is not in their life at all.

Thus, following that logic, getting a teen to have an ambivalent relationship, much less a hostile one, with anyone in their household, is unlikely. I've had a few instances of teens being enemies with one parent, or one sibling, but by and large, they're on good enough terms with the other members of the household that running away is never done autonomously. Usually, in my game, by the time the relationship is at its lowest, the teen is old enough to just move out as an adult and cut all contact with their family.

So I'm curious: Have you ever had sims who have run away? Was it autonomous, or did you decide to make them run away? What was their story? Did they ever "come back," or did they hold out until they could move out as an adult?
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#2 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 2:54 PM
No, never managed to do that. The only ones that have happened to runaway were pets for me so far.
Mad Poster
#3 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 3:15 PM Last edited by simmer22 : 30th Jun 2022 at 6:06 PM.
Once or twice, but it's been a long while, so I can't remember the circumstances. I think they were rounded up by the police. I've had pets run away too, but I think they for the most part came back.

Mostly I've kept my sims in a too good mood and with too good relationships to run away.
Mad Poster
#4 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 5:29 PM
No - they are far too busy to think of running away
Top Secret Researcher
#5 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 6:52 PM
Nope, never had any runaways yet.

My Simblr
He/They
Forum Resident
#6 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 8:03 PM
I had one teen run away once at night, but they came back on their own the next morning.
Theorist
#7 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 8:14 PM
Yeah, several times. You really have to work on them and their family disliking each other for it to happen.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Field Researcher
#8 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 8:25 PM
Never... but I never have them fight with the parents
Mad Poster
#9 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 8:41 PM
The closest thing to that that would even be possible in my gmae is that one of my Mods allows teens to find their own place like adults can and just move out of the childhood home if it's getting too overcrowded and that's in my historical games like my Pleasantview Epic Challenge taking lace in the 17th century in the beginnings of the town as an early American colony.
Field Researcher
#10 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 10:31 PM
Yes, I had both Lilith Pleasant and a legacy sim run away in the past. I had a parent report them missing and they were brought home later.

All's fair in love, war, and video games! ~LyokoGirl5000
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#11 Old 30th Jun 2022 at 11:20 PM
Lilith, who is already set up to do so and another pre made hood where the teen hates her family on opening the lot. It would be something that you would either really need to work towards or use cheats or a mod to lower the relationship extremely low. Getting a sim family to be hostile to each other isn't organically part of the game as most will all be best friends, at least teen to parents and parents to teen from positive interactions from babyhood.

There is a new mod out where babies and parents can be set to zero or one sided. I am planning on trying the one sided halved version so babies start at 0 and parents start at half Maxis relationship score. Vanilla game has them all starting out rather high. Not that I am aiming for runaways, just a bit more realism.

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#12 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 12:14 AM
Quote: Originally posted by joandsarah77
There is a new mod out where babies and parents can be set to zero or one sided. I am planning on trying the one sided halved version so babies start at 0 and parents start at half Maxis relationship score. Vanilla game has them all starting out rather high. Not that I am aiming for runaways, just a bit more realism.

Where is this mod? I would be interested in trying it for myself!
Needs Coffee
retired moderator
#13 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 1:18 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MHS0501
Where is this mod? I would be interested in trying it for myself!

Right here on MTS by Nopke! And it comes in 3 flavours https://modthesims.info/d/656897/no...d-7-jun-21.html

"I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives." - Unknown
~Call me Jo~
Mad Poster
#14 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 3:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MHS0501
Have you ever had sims who have run away? Was it autonomous, or did you decide to make them run away? What was their story? Did they ever "come back," or did they hold out until they could move out as an adult?
I have had a teen run away, and it was completely autonomous. I certainly didn't want her to run away.

Eve Marsden, the papergirl in Baldrair Bluffs, ran away from school!

Miss Erin Leitch started a small school high up on the Bluffs. Her idea was to provide some tuition for local teenage townies. She felt that they might struggle academically at university if they went there with only a C or less. When Miss Leitch moved into the school house to start the school, the first teen she met was Eve, her papergirl. They got on well together and she soon persuaded Eve to come to her school. At first everything seemed to go well. Eve got on well with Miss Leitch, and with River Jenkins, the only other pupil in the school at the time. Then, I think it was her second day at the school, Eve threw a tantrum and ran away. I have no idea what was wrong with her. Miss Leitch 'phoned the police, but Eve never came back.

Don't worry about Eve though -- she's all right. A new girl started delivering the paper to the school, but Eve continued to deliver papers to the other residents of the Bluffs. This included John and Justin Brand, a gay couple who already had an adopted daughter called Alyssa. They took a liking for Eve, invited her to move in, and adopted her. She seems quite happy with her new daddies. They'll just send her to the ordinary public school. She won't go back to Miss Leitch's school. As a playable, I'm sure she'll get good enough grades at the ordinary school.

This happened not that long ago, and I posted about it here. If anyone's interested, I'll try to look out my old posts and link to them.

All Sims are beautiful -- even the ugly ones.
My Simblr ~~ My LJ
Sims' lives matter!
The Veronaville kids are alright.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 9:16 AM
I've found something to help with making the running away action be directed and relationships with family don't matter with the RUNAWAY HACK which unlocks the interaction to an object as a user-directed action.
Mad Poster
#16 Old 1st Jul 2022 at 11:19 AM
Never had teens run away, but I have had pet runaways when they didn't get along with each other. I think they were usually found by the police if they were called (a collar helps).

Had a lot of running away when I was testing my roach mod, because the pets I'd randomly adopted all hated each other (and most of them were aggressive). That was the only time I had a cat die of old age while run away. I only found out when I found his gravestone at the edge of the lot.
Forum Resident
#18 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 6:14 AM
I've had a few, actually. There was a sim called Topaz in one of my custom hoods who ran away after developing a hatred for her mother for some reason, I can't remember the circumstances. It could have possibly been due to her neglect of her, but I could be wrong. She ran away and didn't return until after her mother died of disease.

Then there's the usual suspect, Lilith Pleasant. Had her run away in two different games so far. First time, Daniel called the police and she wasn't returned until 6 days later. In the second game, she ran away after school and was returned straight away, however, due to an object error, nobody got the memory of her return. So, I saw this as an opportunity to move her in with her grandparents, like she ran away to them and didn't return to her parent's house.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Mad Poster
#19 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 6:16 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Aspersim
Adult sims that run away appear in the sims bin if the game was saved, I wonder has anyone lost a teen or pet from their household permininently? a pet or teen that left and never returned I just recently had a pet run away in my game too.

Adult sims can run away?
Mad Poster
#20 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 8:32 AM
It can happen if they were married and they broke up or they can by using the find own place on the newspaper or computer which is also availble to my teens because I got a Mod that enabled it for teens though any older sim would already have been able to do it in an unmodded game.It's more like they're moving out of the household and into another household of their own or joining another household.
Mad Poster
#21 Old 2nd Jul 2022 at 6:08 PM
For a born-in-game sim, the basic level of care necessary to keep the social worker from taking the sim before childhood requires enough interaction with the family to lead to positive relationships. So avoiding that is really only possible by using service sims to provide all childcare, and as unsatisfactory as most of us find the service sims, it's not surprising that we rarely see it. A decent level of childcare can, with FT, lead to the toddlers being bff with their parents. (I mean, things like diaper changes and toddler skills added to food and social needs being met.)

I think I've provoked it once, maybe twice, in a born-in-game teen whose parents were furious with her for getting pregnant by her boyfriend, thanks to the combo of Inteen and Chris Hatch's mod for that. But that's hardly vanilla game behavior.

Pics from my game: Sunbee's Simblr Sunbee's Livejournal
"English is a marvelous edged weapon if you know how to wield it." C.J. Cherryh
Meet Me In My Next Life
#22 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 12:50 AM
There is a mod by creator Squinge that allow you to make a teen run away. they do get the memory of doing so. the cop bring them back after so many hours. The parents need to report them missing. Here http://www.insimenator.org/index.php/topic,23563.0.html

"Nothing in life is a Surprise it just happen to come your way at the time".
Mad Poster
#23 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 3:04 AM
That Mod can be geart for storytelling or for a scripted event requiring a teen to run away so it can be triggered manually as that would ben much needed in my Pleasantview Epic Challenge since it's being played from an empty terrain map.
Test Subject
#24 Old 3rd Jul 2022 at 3:05 AM
Just to be sure I am making post 6 for our creating group

That's cool Simonut. Good for story telling.
Theorist
#25 Old 16th Jul 2022 at 12:30 PM
I've had Lilith Pleasant run away after really, really trying to make her relationships with the household worse than it already was. It took me a while, though. Mary-Sue immediately called the police and Lilith was back home in a short while.

I've also (organically) had Ophelia Nigmos run away. I was shocked when it happened, because it's such a rare event anyway, and I didn't expect that one bad attempt at telling a joke by Olive would result in her running away. Olive, being a grouchy and resentful person, didn't phone police to report her missing. She came back just before she turned into an adult. I've had her cause some damage to the property while Olive was at work, grow up without entering the house, and then immediately move out somewhere away from Strangetown.