Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 21st Feb 2021 at 11:35 PM

This user has the following games installed:

Sims 2, University, Nightlife, Open for Business, Pets, Seasons, Bon Voyage, Free Time, Apartment Life
Default Access Violation
My Sims 2 game has decided to crash a lot on my old neighborhood and the errors say "access violation" in the logs.

I've looked it up and done pretty much everything I could find.

I've edited my graphics rules, added the 4 gig patch (and made sure its working) and set a custom setting to the texture memory to match my display memory shown in DxDiag. I'm even running the game as admin.

What I haven't done- I have not added my graphics card specifically to the graphics rules. The directions say I should have a hex number after my card name in DxDiag, but I don't. Since I need this hex number per the directions, I have not been able to do that.

Im running windows 10.

Any extra help would be greatly appreciated.

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Advertisement
Forum Resident
#2 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 4:21 AM
What graphic card do you have? Graphic Rules Maker included a fix for NVidia a while ago that removed all of my access violation crashes. It has some other fixes as well and lets you automatically add your graphics card, so that might be a good idea anyway. https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

I'm also using the empty standby list task TheJessaChannel explains in her video here, I remember that one making a huge difference in playability: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#3 Old 22nd Feb 2021 at 6:30 AM Last edited by bloodstained_black_lace : 23rd Feb 2021 at 5:09 AM.
Quote: Originally posted by Ovenhole
What graphic card do you have? Graphic Rules Maker included a fix for NVidia a while ago that removed all of my access violation crashes. It has some other fixes as well and lets you automatically add your graphics card, so that might be a good idea anyway. https://www.simsnetwork.com/tools/graphics-rules-maker

I'm also using the empty standby list task TheJessaChannel explains in her video here, I remember that one making a huge difference in playability: https://modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=610641

Thank you so much! I'll try these things after work tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

My card is a GeForce gtx 1660.

Update!!!!

So, I went and used the graphics rules maker program just because it can't hurt anything. It alone wasn't enough to fix the issue, but still, the settings are better than what I had.

But, the issue is FIXED!!

Setting up a task with EmptyStanbyList (as explained in the video) has completely fixed my Access Violation crashes! Thank you so much!

To anyone else having this issue... watch the video, apply the fix and voila! Thank you again, Ovenhole!

They should use The Sims 2 in psychology....it could work wonders.
Lab Assistant
#4 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 1:02 AM Last edited by Morgan Smith : 19th Mar 2021 at 9:58 PM.
My main computer is a Windows 10 machine with 16GB of RAM and an NVidia GeForce GTX 960 graphics card. I just got back into TS2 while cleaning up the files on the hard drive. Ultimate Collection had been running okay for a few days with occasional crashes. Then it started crashing in the loading screen, while the banisters are being over-waxed. Unfortunately, shouting "stay away from the banister wax" did not fix the problem.

After installing the 4GB patch, adding the video card to the database, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and doing the patch and database thing again, among other measures, I gave up and decided to recommission a Windows XP machine that ran the game just fine some years ago. Cleaned up the files, defragged the hard drive, reinstalled the base game from disk. No custom content, video card added to database. [edited] I get a splash screen, then nothing.

So now I'm back to figuring out how to make it run on the Windows 10 machine. (Though I'd like to make it work on the old machine as well, just because we went to all the trouble of bringing it out of retirement.)

I've watched Jessa's excellent video (thank you, Jessa!). Besides confirming application of the 4GB patch and adding the video card to the database, I disabled the major memory eater. I even fixed the error in the TSAudioLocaleEP2 file that was generating the error files AppErrors.txt and AudioErrors.txt.

There is no custom content present. No downloads folder at all, since reinstallation.

Nothing has fixed the problem. The Sims2Exception file is full of information that I can't interpret. I am absolutely open to suggestions.
Field Researcher
#5 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 12:38 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Morgan Smith
My main computer is a Windows 10 machine with 16GB of RAM and an NVidia GeForce GTX 960 graphics card. I just got back into TS2 while cleaning up the files on the hard drive. Ultimate Collection had been running okay for a few days with occasional crashes. Then it started crashing in the loading screen, while the banisters are being over-waxed. Unfortunately, shouting "stay away from the banister wax" did not fix the problem.

After installing the 4GB patch, adding the video card to the database, uninstalling and reinstalling the game and doing the patch and database thing again, among other measures, I gave up and decided to recommission a Windows XP machine that ran the game just fine some years ago. Cleaned up the files, defragged the hard drive, reinstalled the base game from disk. No custom content, video card added to database. Same crash, same point in the loading process.

So now I'm back to figuring out how to make it run on the Windows 10 machine. (Though I'd like to make it work on the old machine as well, just because we went to all the trouble of bringing it out of retirement.)

I've watched Jessa's excellent video (thank you, Jessa!). Besides confirming application of the 4GB patch and adding the video card to the database, I disabled the major memory eater. I even fixed the error in the TSAudioLocaleEP2 file that was generating the error files AppErrors.txt and AudioErrors.txt.

There is no custom content present. No downloads folder at all, since reinstallation.

Nothing has fixed the problem. The Sims2Exception file is full of information that I can't interpret. I am absolutely open to suggestions.

If you have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin, disable the "Origin in-game" feature. That option, when enabled, often causes crashing on the loading screen. Aside from that, the only fixes you really need to get started are 4GB Patch and Graphics Rules Maker.
Lab Assistant
#6 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 9:05 PM Last edited by Morgan Smith : 19th Mar 2021 at 9:59 PM.
Quote: Originally posted by mate54
If you have The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection from Origin, disable the "Origin in-game" feature. That option, when enabled, often causes crashing on the loading screen. Aside from that, the only fixes you really need to get started are 4GB Patch and Graphics Rules Maker.

Thanks. That's not the issue. It's not enabled. Starting the game when Origin is in offline mode doesn't fix the problem, either.

As I said, I've installed the 4GB patch and fixed the graphics rules. Neither of those things has solved the problem.
Mad Poster
#7 Old 19th Mar 2021 at 11:44 PM
Lab Assistant
#8 Old 20th Mar 2021 at 2:22 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Annaminna
http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=9476

Lots of reading and downloading and fiddling later, I get to the bit right before "IDK." Disable all audio devices.

Yup. That solved it. Re-enabled the headphones, and it still works. I guess I'll have to do some swapping around when I need to use the speakers and camera, but this is better than no Sims.

This makes for a better birthday! Thanks!