Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#1 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:09 PM
Default How To Not Get Bored Of a Household?
Lately, when I go into CAS and make a family, I get bored of them a day later. What can I do to not get this way?
Advertisement
Mad Poster
#2 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:20 PM
Read this thread and I'm sure that there will be something to keep boredom away:
Keeping the game interesting

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#3 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:37 PM
Is there a specific reason on why you get bored of them? Hard to advice you anything without any elaboration on your issue.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english.
Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#4 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Is there a specific reason on why you get bored of them? Hard to advice you anything without any elaboration on your issue.

I just feel the need to delete them...
Mad Poster
#5 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:48 PM
Don't delete families from the bin! That corrupts your neighbourhood. If you want to get rid of them, either you can kill them (don't delete the graves unless you have Pescado's nounlinkondelete) or townify them.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#6 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:57 PM
Don't just make sims. Make sims with backstory, with problems, with goals beyond making money and breeding and grinding for that LTW. Engage with them as if they were people, or at least fictional characters. Make different rules set for different households. Fiddle with them with editing tools so they aren't blank slates.

Some people who have a hard time making sims with personality and agency benefit from using premade neighborhoods; not just the ones that came with the game, but the bounty of player-made hoods that have become available in recent years. Widespot and Europa are set up so that whatever choices anyone makes in those small towns will affect at least one other household. Emerald Heights has oodles of sims, from a single scion of the Goth family to an overcrowded group home, with varying degrees of connection and pre-existing Drama. Polgannon has a meticulously-thought out mystery to solve. Whatever the factor that engages your interest, somebody's made a hood that incorporates it.

Some people are single-family players. Some people are neighborhood players. I can't play any given family for more than a day at a time - I have to do rotations. Some people are builders, or CC artists, or modders, and hardly ever play in the usual sense except for playtesting. Some people get very involved with creating a viable economy, or with setting up and photographing stories. Some people go through phases in which they do one of these things exclusively for awhile, and then do one of the others, and then one of the others. Some people play constantly and some people play intensely for six months and then don't touch the game for a year.

Figure out what kind of player you are, and be that.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Link Ninja
#7 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 7:58 PM
If you feel the need to delete them you could create a 'serial killer' sim and then any family you get bored with is lured into that sims' pool and then...what do you know, the ladder is gone Then there's a story behind the disappearances. All the graves are hidden in the foundation to create an extreme haunted house.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#8 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:04 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Bulbizarre
Don't delete families from the bin! That corrupts your neighbourhood. If you want to get rid of them, either you can kill them (don't delete the graves unless you have Pescado's nounlinkondelete) or townify them.

It’s not the premade ones
Mad Poster
#9 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:10 PM
Adopt a child. Get a roomie. Start a home business. Have a party. Let them resign and live off the land. (All do all of those .
Mad Poster
#10 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:22 PM
What Peni said, and you might just start with a few pixels in a neighborhood. Rotating between houses does generate action. Also, you might make some community lots so they can interact with each other. The most interesting developments in my game sometimes come from just going to one and watching the 'side action'. The repercussions on other pixels can be very interesting to play out.

Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
Mad Poster
#11 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:28 PM
As FranH says - my game really revolves around community lots. I absolutely love to watch what my other sims are doing - it is very interesting to see who dines with who, who are fishing together or playing pool or chess or flirt inappropriately behind my back!
Field Researcher
#12 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:33 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Peni Griffin
Don't just make sims. Make sims with backstory, with problems, with goals beyond making money and breeding and grinding for that LTW. Engage with them as if they were people, or at least fictional characters. Make different rules set for different households. Fiddle with them with editing tools so they aren't blank slates.

Some people who have a hard time making sims with personality and agency benefit from using premade neighborhoods; not just the ones that came with the game, but the bounty of player-made hoods that have become available in recent years. Widespot and Europa are set up so that whatever choices anyone makes in those small towns will affect at least one other household. Emerald Heights has oodles of sims, from a single scion of the Goth family to an overcrowded group home, with varying degrees of connection and pre-existing Drama. Polgannon has a meticulously-thought out mystery to solve. Whatever the factor that engages your interest, somebody's made a hood that incorporates it.

Some people are single-family players. Some people are neighborhood players. I can't play any given family for more than a day at a time - I have to do rotations. Some people are builders, or CC artists, or modders, and hardly ever play in the usual sense except for playtesting. Some people get very involved with creating a viable economy, or with setting up and photographing stories. Some people go through phases in which they do one of these things exclusively for awhile, and then do one of the others, and then one of the others. Some people play constantly and some people play intensely for six months and then don't touch the game for a year.

Figure out what kind of player you are, and be that.

Spot on. I almost exclusively play with the pre-mades only because of their mostly established back stories. I sometimes follow others simblrs and have felt a connection with one of their sims and "get inspired". Some people are cool enough to have a link to download their sim! The few times I have made CAS sims, they were based on real people (like a singer or other celebrity or even my irl family). Looking at mods kinda helps me too.

Like I wasn't really up for playing the Broke household knowing how many kids total she was going to end of having. In a couple of replays I've simply used the sim blender to end the pregnancy (miscarriage), or one time used the omgwtfbbq. She's much more playable with only two kids for me, haha. Also kinda plays into her unfortunate trailer park background in my head.

So yeah, maybe add sims to fill specific roles in your overall neighborhood. I'd get bored too just playing with one family all the time and just focusing on careers and babies. Have multiple households interact with each other! Like is the neighborhood like a stepford wives club or a hippy dippy community, or just plain diverse? :P
Alchemist
#13 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:40 PM
there have been a number of similar past threads.

one way to not get bored might be to have any kind of plan for the sims.
Theorist
#14 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:53 PM
I'n Sims I often have a hard time starting from scratch as well. CAS Sims just seem to be problematic to me. and I tend to get bored with them. Instead I like to play premade hoods and add in CAS Sims whenever I feel the need for a specific character to be introduced or get an idea for something.
What I've also started doing is that I no longer create those "just plopped into existence and starting out with 20.000$ and no backstory" families. Instead I start out with an idea or role I want the new family/sim to fulfill and then adjust their funds accordingly.

Still I almost always feel more connected to Sims that were born in-game rather than created.

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Mad Poster
#15 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:53 PM
Quote: Originally posted by STS3388
I just feel the need to delete them...

Well I was asking more of why you get bored of them. There's something that probably repels you from playing them.

As far as goes for me, I never got into an encounter of getting bored of sims that I created, but it happens with neighborhoods since I sometimes go overboard and create too many of them. Anyway, what I do is create families that I have made plans for them on the spot or way before I dedice to create them to populated them on how much their gonna impact the newly recently found neighborhood. Like for example, I had no idea what sims should I create for my neighborhood so I started with a couple just out of the random. And since I play rotationally, after I done playing them for a sim-day, I figure this town will need a band that will spread the music industry so I created four sims for one household that will climb the music ladder once they can afford their own distinct instruments from one another so they can go and hold jam sessions on their spree on a particular cafe and mall. The Next household consist of all eight sims with an equal pair amount of two separate genders, with the girls taking the gardening task while the boys go fishing, since somebody will need to be running stores and provide food stock for the civilians (I made myself and stick to my own rule that sims shall not visit particular lots until the respective ones get's purchased by some sim). Than switching back to the first couple, I figured the man that has no job (since I couldn't figure what Job he should hold as his LTW isn't related to any of those careers) could run a hair salon at his home business so he can afford in the future to by that one expensive OFB premade mall that I plot down from the bin as well with the rest of all remaining lots.

Mad Poster
#16 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 8:54 PM

Doesn't matter. Once the camera has flashed and the household's been sent to the family bin, they're in the neighborhood and deleting them will mess things up. Just don't do it.

If what you enjoy is making sims, make them in bodyshop. Those sims are just shells, waiting to go into the CAS sim bin and be fleshed out to become real sims if you ever feel like it.

Ugly is in the heart of the beholder.
(My simblr isSim Media Res . Widespot,Widespot RFD: The Subhood, and Land Grant University are all available here. In case you care.)
Mad Poster
#17 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:00 PM
Not to toot my own horn, but I did create a thread today to let people describe the overall themes of their neighborhoods:
Describe your hoods

To have a 'backstory' or a overall theme to the neighborhood really does help to engage one in the game. Make all the pixels created have one career and see who makes it to the top..and any variation thereof.

Mad Poster
#18 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:04 PM
Also, If you have some restraint, maybe it would help If don't create more and stick with the families you have left remaining in the bin untouched and reside them and start playing with them. Maybe you start getting into a habit of "finishing your cake before you get another one" instead of that tendency of creating new ones. Or maybe you just like creating sims and nothing wrong is with that. You can just leave them at a bin for much as you want as Peni suggest, but since you made this thread I'm assuming you wanna overcome of that weird habit you have since that's why this thread is here in the first place, so just creating sims that you the town really needs and not just for the looks, or If you can't resist the urge you should then avoid saving the household you create in CAS before exiting that mode.

Creating families that have a purpose in town to evolve and shape it or have it the other way around where moving to that new neighborhood it lets or takes a change in their lives(lifes?) is one way to make those new residents interesting that pulls you back to playing 'em.

Alchemist
#19 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:08 PM
Quote: Originally posted by FranH
Not to toot my own horn, but I did create a thread today to let people describe the overall themes of their neighborhoods:
Describe your hoods
how does that relate to this thread?
Link Ninja
#20 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:22 PM
^ Because if you have a theme in mind for your hood then you might get less bored with your families because they'd have a purpose.

and by 'you' I mean OP.

Uh oh! My social bar is low - that's why I posted today.

The Great AntiJen
retired moderator
#21 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:44 PM

It's still a bad idea.

I no longer come over to MTS very often but if you would like to ask me a question then you can find me on tumblr or my own site tflc. TFLC has an archive of all my CC downloads.
I'm here on tumblr and my site, tflc
Mad Poster
#22 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 9:54 PM

That doesn't matter, it's still a bad idea.

I'm secretly a Bulbasaur. | Formerly known as ihatemandatoryregister

Looking for SimWardrobe's mods? | Or Dizzy's? | Faiuwle/rufio's too! | smorbie1's Chris Hatch archives
Mad Poster
#23 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 10:15 PM
Very bad idea. Now let's continue in-a-row the lecture!

Lab Assistant
Original Poster
#24 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 10:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by SneakyWingPhoenix
Very bad idea. Now let's continue in-a-row the lecture!

I’m sorry Phoenix!
Mad Poster
#25 Old 18th Jun 2018 at 11:03 PM
Don't be. It's your neighborhood at stake, we just wouldn't want for anyone simmer's to just go, poof

Page 1 of 3