Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
Original Poster
#1 Old 9th Sep 2022 at 12:07 AM
Custom thumbnails for TS3 hair colors... can this be done?
I have been trying to create a tattoo that extends over the face and onto the scalp. Because the face and scalp are two different pieces, I have had to divide the tattoo into two different types of content: costume makeup (for the face) and hair (for the scalp). When you wear these two pieces together, you can see the entire tattoo.

The costume makeup has 6 color presets which I have matched on the scalp using hair colors. I plan to export these hair colors as presets to be downloaded alongside the scalp tattoo. Getting these pieces to work together and selecting the right hair colors to match in CAS can be confusing; you have to select a costume makeup preset, the matching hair, and also the matching hair color.

I created custom CAS thumbnails to help users easily navigate this matching process... and I got them to work for the costume makeup and the hair... but no matter what I try, I cannot get them to appear for the hair colors! All I see are the game-generated thumbnails I was trying to replace!

Here is what I tried:

I picked some colors in CAS, saved it as a preset and exported to share. Then, I opened the exported package with s3pe. In the package, there were 3 files: an XML, a HINF (hair color information) and a THUM. The THUM contained a game-generated thumbnail of the hair colors. I replaced this THUM with a custom image of the same file type (PNG-24) and dimensions (254x254). I left the file name, type (THUM 0xFCEAB65B), group (0x00000000) and instance all the same.

I put my modified package in the mods folder. I deleted the hair colors I had saved in the game. I deleted all the files in the Thumbnails folder, all the cache files and the userPresets package to let the game regenerate them. When this did not work, I also tested combinations of different types and groups numbers. Is there a certain combination that works?

I looked for where the game stores the native hair colors, but I could only find HINF files under userPresets with no THUM files to go with them. Where are the THUM files for the hair color presets stored? Does the game even store them? Or does it automatically generate a new thumbnail every time? I cannot see the code in these HINF files, so I cannot know how it is programmed. Is the game even bothering to read the THUM file in the hair color package?

Is it even possible to have a custom thumbnail for a hair color in TS3?

I have looked through the forums to see if anyone else has asked this specific question, but so far no luck. Your help is appreciated.
Screenshots