Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
MTS has all free content, all the time. Find out how YOU can help to keep it running. Tell me how...

Simple Kitchen – Counters, Islands, Cabinets

by plasticbox Posted 1st Mar 2010 at 12:04 AM - Updated 13th Jan 2015 at 4:15 AM by plasticbox : added some grammar

155 Comments / Replies (Who?) - 135 Feedback Posts, 19 Thanks Posts
Hide Thanks Posts for this thread (Show only feedback)
Page 4 of 7
Field Researcher
#76 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 3:40 AM
Pbox, just want to clarify that I don't see an all black thumbnail. The thumbnail is correct, the object is black. I'm attaching a pic of what I saw when I first opened to do a preset. The lighting is bad but I think you can get an idea of how the thumbnail appears and see that it looks like I should see your preset but don't.

I'm going to set up another preset because I have actually had a preset for an item disappear. Weird I know but it did happen with a t-shirt I had recolored.
Screenshots
Top Secret Researcher
#77 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:15 AM
The corners did not work for me. I tried doing them with moveobjects on, just placing a cabinet there and another at a right angle, but it still tried to make a corner cabinet, which showed again as this ugly uncolorable thing. Not sure why it didn't work but very sad. I think out of the dozens of cabinets I have, only two work.
Lab Assistant
#78 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:14 AM
Curiously, the preset for the cabinets showed up, but not the counter/island. They stayed black.

In regards to the seams people are seeing and anti-aliasing... mine's disabled, and I'm seeing them show up when the camera's not right up close. Of course, I also have issues with hideous seams showing up on Sims along UV edges and it also happens in another game, so I'm wondering if it's purely a video card issue.

That said... I'd like to put forward a plea for a version of the cabinets with a proper corner mesh. Yes, I know it's due to your personal preference, but I'm having a ridiculously hard time placing them, even with moveobjects. I constantly get a "Can't do that" message, and even when I do manage to place the cabinet, the piece in the corner often gets shifted and I have to start over. No idea what the exact cause of the error is, but it makes placing them incredibly aggravating.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#79 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:20 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:51 AM.
dolldrms1, thank you for the screenshot. That thumbnail isn't my preset, that's the in-game default (for when it doesn't find any texture to use for that object). My preset is white and pine, what you see in the large pic in post #1.

I have the same thumbnail actually ("black thumbnail" was a bit of a brainfart, I guess I meant "wrong thumbnail" =).

rian90, can you post a screenshot of what "corner thing" you're getting there? O.o The mesh for the corner is 100% identical to the regular one .. so there shouldn't be a corner .. at all. Or do you mean the way the game behaves (as opposed to what the mesh looks like)?

Game trying to construct corners, "can't do that", and stuff being sticky is *game behaviour*. It will do that with everything it thinks is a cabinet – it doesn't care (or even know) what the mesh looks like. I could make it a ball or a car or a pink rabbit, the annoying behaviour will stay the same. .. ask EA to fix it, not me, I don't write the game.

Saikatsu, of course the seams could be a video card issue. I don't know .. I have an 8600M which is not uber fantastic, and for me it looks like in the screens I posted. Most of them are 1:1 (cropped but not resized), I think a few are un-distorted a bit. If you have seams on other stuff too, I'd think it's kind of likely it has something to do with your graphics.

What did that "preset for the cabinets" look like, and what game version do you have? If it's not white like in the large pic in post #1 then it's not my preset (and I guess you're on WA or the WA patch).

(I also don't take pleas – I don't want corners, so I don't make corners.)

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

In the kingdom of the blind, do as the Romans do.
Field Researcher
#80 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:28 AM
I think I love you.
Lab Assistant
#81 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Saikatsu, of course the seams could be a video card issue. I don't know .. I have an 8600M which is not uber fantastic, and for me it looks like in the screens I posted. Most of them are 1:1 (cropped but not resized), I think a few are un-distorted a bit. If you have seams on other stuff too, I'd think it's kind of likely it has something to do with your graphics.

What did that "preset for the cabinets" look like, and what game version do you have? If it's not white like in the large pic in post #1 then it's not my preset (and I guess you're on WA or the WA patch).

(I also don't take pleas – I don't want corners, so I don't make corners.)

You know, I've seen your sig countless times, you'd think that would have clicked, eh? Perfectly valid reason not to. :> They do at least still work otherwise, it just takes a bit of work on my part. The error completely baffles me though, I've never seen it before.

Yeah now that I think about it, it's definitely a graphics card LoD issue. The same thing shows up in World of Warcraft under the same conditions. (Those are links to a couple examples, for those of you with a similar issue) One of these days, I will make my video card stop doing that. D<

As for the preset, it was a cream color. I loaded the game back up to make sure and it came up solid black like the counters did, which is making me wonder if it's just taking a REALLY long time to load. And yes, WA+HELS, up to date.
Top Secret Researcher
#82 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 5:58 AM
I will take a picture tomorrow and post it. The cabinets automatically make a corner for me. I can't seem to place the cabinets without a corner. The one I see is old and shabby and is not recolorable. I get this with almost all my cabinets which is why I was hoping these would not force me to create a corner.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#83 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:18 AM Last edited by plasticbox : 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:34 AM.
Saikatsu, that "preset" is the game default. It is a bit weird that for WA users it sometimes seems to show up and sometimes not .. there shouldn't be a "sometimes" when computers are involved. I dunno, I posted in Create, maybe the S3OC developers can shed some light on it.

If you want to discuss general graphics issues, this thread is the wrong place for that. Can you take it to Computer/Hardware help, please? =)

Quote: Originally posted by Saikatsu
The error completely baffles me though, I've never seen it before.
You mean that incredibly informative "Can't do that" error? I see that quite often, mostly in Build .. are you perhaps trying to place the cabinets through a wall or something?

Quote: Originally posted by rian90
I get this with almost all my cabinets
If it happens with "almost all" cabinets (and before you installed mine, correct?) then it can't very well be a problem with mine. I've also just seen that you said before "corner cabinets never work for me"; initially I thought you meant that you don't like them or something – but when they literally don't work that sounds like a game issue.

I'd suggest you post in Game Help, but please do the FAQs first.

Stuff for TS2 · TS3 · TS4 | Please do not PM me with technical questions – we have Create forums for that.

Lab Assistant
#84 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by plasticbox
Saikatsu, that "preset" is the game default. It is a bit weird that for WA users it sometimes seems to show up and sometimes not .. there shouldn't be a "sometimes" when computers are involved. I dunno, I posted in Create, maybe the S3OC developers can shed some light on it.

If you want to discuss general graphics issues, this thread is the wrong place for that. Can you take it to Computer/Hardware help, please? =)

You mean that incredibly informative "Can't do that" error? I see that quite often, mostly in Build .. are you perhaps trying to place the cabinets through a wall or something?

Ah, I see. I guess it wouldn't be an EA game if it wasn't full of completely inexplicable quirks, would it? :P

Not really discussing, just trying to give examples to others so they know it's not the object at fault. >>; I am very bad at being clear about my intentions!

I actually was placing them against a wall, with the footprint box displaying in green as though it's a valid location. Eventually it works, but I'm not sure why, and this is the only time I've seen it.

Anyway, I guess I'm not really providing anything useful at this point, so I shall be on my way~
Field Researcher
#85 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 8:44 AM
Pbox, feel free to delete this post after you read but I wanted to post this screenshot for you to see. You've worked hard on these cabinets and I wanted you, and especially those who are seeing a black object when they first load like I did, to see what a kitchen with the cabinets can look like after taking the short amount of time necessary to do a preset.

I'm not especially good at interior design but am most pleased with the new kitchen and it was economical to do, too, which is a big plus. Thank you again.
Screenshots
Mad Poster
#86 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 11:27 AM
Just to let you know, Plasticbox, I tried the cabinets in my test hood and there was no problems with CASTing in many different textures, no crashing, no blue-lots. The cabinets cornered perfectly and no problems using the design tool to change the corner cabinet colors. Yes, the cabinets showed in the catalog as all black, but happily no problems with them. Also, no problem changing the textures between all the presets I designed.

Now in the process of using them in a new home I am building. Thanks so much for your hard work, these cabinets make me happy!!

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#87 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 1:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback, again. Good to see it's working =).

(I'm happy with people posting screenshots here all they want, as long as they're on topic of this upload =). Just make sure you don't use pay stuff in them or anything not considered PG-13 (-> site rules))

It looks like the whole preset issue is pretty much a dead end at this point … turns out that "the opportunity to edit presets, for those who know how" (from the changelog) literally just meant "edit the files, for those who know how to use a keyboard". Not "edit" in the sense of "have it make any actual difference for the object".

I'd still like to be able to find *some* way to provide my own presets, I spent a considerable amount of time on them after all =/.

Lab Assistant
#88 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 2:20 PM
Awesome! Now gimme a cooker which fits this kitchen :P
Test Subject
#89 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 4:05 PM
Finally a look that was more into everyday modern homes. Every other style that was in the game looked too fancy. You have my thanks.
Test Subject
#90 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 5:58 PM
I love cooking, but the install does not appear in the game. You may need the new expansion?. I have not installed any patch in the game, needs patching to bring up the kitchen?. Thank you very much, Best regards.
(sorry for my English I used the google translator)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#91 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:21 PM
You don't need an expansion for this – I don't have one myself.

You may need a patch, I don't know. Does other CC work for you?

Instructor
#92 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:36 PM Last edited by tylersada : 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Absolutely fantabulous. I love the sleek smooth lines. I'm not a frou frou person nor is my sims. This suits our personalities beautifuly. Thank you.

Nutty Sims Mommy.
Test Subject
#93 Old 2nd Mar 2010 at 6:46 PM
yesyesyes
thanks
Test Subject
#94 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 11:23 AM
Thank you for making these! They look perfect in game.
Inventor
#95 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 3:35 PM
Can't ever have to many kitchen sets

i wish i could press the thanks button twice :D

The Grumpy Old Gamer's Blog

~Life is like a box of chocolates, just when you're enjoying it, you choke on it.
Test Subject
#96 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 4:35 PM
Thank you so much for making a simple, well designed kitchen set that actually recolors properly. It seems nobody else knows how to do this!
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#97 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 5:28 PM
shootingstar19s, for all I can tell it wasn't possible to make working modular items (in the sense of properly recolouring - if you mean the counter edges?) before february 13th this year, at least not with s3oc/s3pe (I don't know how TSRW deals with this). It's still not possible with the release version of s3oc, which is not exactly very documented or widely known.

So it's not like other creators are doing something wrong themselves – most probably they were using a tool that breaks the whole thing, and don't know what is causing the problem. I also only discovered it by accident.

If you have downloaded a kitchen from here that won't recolour, you could probably help the creators if you'd point them at the "QA" version of s3oc, which is here: http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=391149 . I don't have any custom kitchens other than this one, so I have no idea which ones have the problem (or even whether it is the same problem).

Test Subject
#98 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 5:39 PM
Hello, I've got more content package installed on the game and It work. But the kitchen, table and chair you did do not appear in the game. I'm sorry. As for the patches I have installed the original one, it may be that, in any case as only happen to me will be my computer problem or my resource file suppose. Thank you very much anyway, and still doing pretty things.
Sorry about my English I have used an Internet translator. (spanish- english)
Pettifogging Legalist!
retired moderator
Original Poster
#99 Old 3rd Mar 2010 at 5:48 PM
hadadelasnieves, I can understand you very well =).

All of my objects are made with the 1.8.25 game, so if none of them work for you and other custom content works, then I think it's likely you need 1.8.25 (or perhaps some other patch, or anything else but 1.0) to use my objects. The game has changed very much between 1.0 and 1.8.25.

Thank you for letting me know!

I'd appreciate feedback from other users with games older than 1.8.25 so that I can put this sort of info in post #1.

Test Subject
#100 Old 4th Mar 2010 at 2:54 AM
perfect! thanks
Page 4 of 7