Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Mad Poster
#6376 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 5:55 PM
I like the open world for the same reasons, riding a bike, walking the dog, looking around at the scenery, but guess it's not a go this time. Looks like we might be back to Sims 2 game play. I will miss seeing my sims jog, run across the street with the sim kids and visit friends. What excited me the most was visiting other sims houses. Oh well, that is the way it goes. *shrugs*

Hope you all have fun.

Resident member of The Receptacle Refugees
Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#6377 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 6:05 PM
Quote: Originally posted by litlegothcat13
I think it's like the recolours for objects in TS2, only now you have it for clothes too. So instead of having a dress in different colours all have its own thumbnail occupying unnecessary space, you just click on the dress and have some recolours pop up in another window. If we can add our own recolours to the same piece of clothing too (by having a -> arrow to see more recolours) this could work quite well. Not as good as CAST, but hopefully it will get rid of the lag CAST caused.

This is along the lines of what I was thinking, but my ideal form would be unlike TS2 where you have to create an entirely new object for each color. Instead the game generates the clothing in various colors based on whichever index selected. Want the shirt in dark blue, you pick that index and get the various shades of dark blue. If done well, and only if done well, it could be better than being able to select a color from the color wheel.

I know a lot of you like the color wheel, but the problem with it is that it's just about impossible to say "This is red and that's blue." Indexed colors with decent palettes could hold enough colors to get what you're looking for as well as be able to know what color does what and with what.

Come to think of it, this is the only way they can have colors influence sims as they've mentioned. Now, will EA give us the decent palettes and ability to edit the indexed colors? I'm expecting the worst and hoping for the best. Although, I could live with a basic structure that's easily modded. *hint, hint* EA
Lab Assistant
#6378 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 7:43 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I like the open world for the same reasons, riding a bike, walking the dog, looking around at the scenery, but guess it's not a go this time. Looks like we might be back to Sims 2 game play. I will miss seeing my sims jog, run across the street with the sim kids and visit friends. What excited me the most was visiting other sims houses. Oh well, that is the way it goes. *shrugs*

Hope you all have fun.

What makes you think it's like the sims 2 again? From pictures and the gameplay video you can see houses in the distance and a lot of detail around all the houses. If it was only one lot like the sims 2 again, you probably wouldn't see all the detail.
Mad Poster
#6379 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 8:01 PM
Quote: Originally posted by NotScottish
What makes you think it's like the sims 2 again? From pictures and the gameplay video you can see houses in the distance and a lot of detail around all the houses. If it was only one lot like the sims 2 again, you probably wouldn't see all the detail.

I thought I said might.
Quote:
Looks like we might be back to Sims 2 game play.

Whatever I don't want usually comes to fruition. Just personal experience and I can't help acknowledging it.

Did you look at the page before this one? We were discussing about the cartoon backgrounds one of the Sims sites posted from Gamescon.

Let's help fund mammograms for everyone. If you want to help, Click To Give @ The Breast Cancer Site Your click is free. Thank you.
Instructor
#6380 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 8:11 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lewisb40
I don't think this has been posted before, I haven't seen it and I thought I would post it. Might give us some interesting discussion.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/741610.page

Found these points interesting:

I remember reading this before but it could have been linked to from another website, like so many questions answered, "I cannot comment". I am with the others here saying, how many months we have been waiting for new info, and after the other day, since my daughter has the new version of TS3, where she has to load Origin to play, unlike my original version of the base game, where I can load without the launcher from the TS3.exe (whichever EP is my latest), without having my computer connected to the internet at all or Origin loaded, I am not excited much about TS4. How does EA think that "no comment" and making Origin completely invasive of controlling the game are ways to get fans excited about a game that will be out in only seven months???? I don't like Origin taking over everything at all. When I install software, I want to tell it what to do and I don't want some other thing telling me I cannot do it. I guess I can only hope that a mod can be made to bypass Origin at some point.

Is it not better to be counted among the strange rather than the incurably stupid? ♥ Receptacle Refugee ♥
Lab Assistant
#6381 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 10:08 PM
Lab Assistant
#6382 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 10:13 PM
Quote: Originally posted by tontrin
I remember reading this before but it could have been linked to from another website, like so many questions answered, "I cannot comment". I am with the others here saying, how many months we have been waiting for new info, and after the other day, since my daughter has the new version of TS3, where she has to load Origin to play, unlike my original version of the base game, where I can load without the launcher from the TS3.exe (whichever EP is my latest), without having my computer connected to the internet at all or Origin loaded, I am not excited much about TS4. How does EA think that "no comment" and making Origin completely invasive of controlling the game are ways to get fans excited about a game that will be out in only seven months???? I don't like Origin taking over everything at all. When I install software, I want to tell it what to do and I don't want some other thing telling me I cannot do it. I guess I can only hope that a mod can be made to bypass Origin at some point.

What is it like when you have to launch the game through Origin if you don't mind me asking? Does it take a long time? Is Origin down very often? I've never used it so I have no idea, but I have used Steam.
Top Secret Researcher
#6383 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 10:25 PM
They make Origin too obtrusive (like needing to launch every time), I am definitely not buying this game. Even if it's decent in gameplay. There are plenty of other games out there. I had fun simming for over a dozen years, but EA is doing its best to make me an ex-simmer. So be it.
One Minute Ninja'd
#6384 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 10:28 PM
Well, if 4 goes back to single lot, loading screen play, I might as well just reinstall TS2 and play that. At least there, all the EPs and SPs are already released, and the mod and content community is all built out and stable. Why spend another several hundred dollars on a new ecosystem, especially if it's bringing back the very limitations that made TS2 so limiting, the lack of CAST resulting in endless collections of recolors if you cared about appearances, and the return of cut scenes, slowing down game play and forcing you to move either your whole household to another lot for a group activity, or just a single sim at a time, for some off lot experience.

The loss of an open world is, for me, a non-starter. Right now, I have a family of 3, 2 adults and a teen. On a Saturday, I can send them off to 3 separate community lots. I can have all 3 engage in different pursuits, whether conversations, romances, or activities. I can, most importantly, switch between them in real game time. I can seamlessly manage them all across town. That's what open world brings. More than just strolling or driving or biking to another lot. The ability to task separate sims in diverse locations and have them all doing "stuff" simultaneously.

The funny thing is how games in other genres, like FPSs, have gone to "open world" concepts as the next step in evolution. Rather than guiding you down a preplanned path, you can play through a level/world, in a manner you see fit. It makes the game more immersive, and greatly improves re-playability as you can try different approaches to solve a "problem". Yet THE real life simulator, the Sims, might devolve back into a single lot, cut screen method that was the source of endless waiting, and that prevented you from managing your sim family in anything other than a single unit, and that's considered acceptable? That just strikes me as flat out bizarre.
Mad Poster
#6385 Old 23rd Feb 2014 at 11:48 PM
Quote: Originally posted by karamela131
Maybe we are not getting it, yet
http://www.destructoid.com/moore-th...et-214038.phtml

I love the author's retort too.

Quote:
Forgive me for being cynical about that.

Lab Assistant
#6386 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 12:46 AM
There's no solid evidence that the world is going to be like the sims 2 again. This fear all started with someone's speculation. It's just like that ridiculous idea that there wouldn't be any kids, just because there were no pictures of them. However, there are minor details that suggest the world IS open. Pictures of houses they've released show other houses down the street, and they aren't blurry like in the sims 2. In the gameplay video, the rocket taking off is filmed from the roof of a house across the street, and you can see several houses lit up across the river. Also in the video, you see a car drive by the window, which never happened in the sims 2 unless it was a career car. And one on the yibsims said at gamescom they mentioned sims not being so lifeless in cars. Why bother with that last one if you only see them for a brief time driving on lots?
Forum Resident
#6387 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 1:00 AM
*At EA Headquarters*

Wat? they are cool with no open world? Shoot! we should have added more animations and gameplay than the cartoony world full of muscular sims and wat guys. Meh, nevermind.. they'll have to wait for the next milkshake.. i mean, "EP".

*No EA's feelings were harmed during the reading of this post*

EDIT:

This is EPIC, congratulations to the author.

Test Subject
#6388 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 1:27 AM
This is from Sims Soul. ------> http://sims-soul.blogspot.com.es/20...sims-4-con.html
Look the sky!

Subido en subir imagenes

I used believe in six impossible things before breakfast.
Inventor
#6389 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 1:42 AM
Unless that car is parked on the street, I see no driveway on the house.

Are we back to Pocketmobiles?

Shy, Clumsy, Insane, Artistic, Hopeless Romantic, Cat Person, Supernatural Fan

Art tumblr
deviantart
Scholar
#6390 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 1:51 AM
Quote: Originally posted by eskie227
Well, if 4 goes back to single lot, loading screen play, I might as well just reinstall TS2 and play that. At least there, all the EPs and SPs are already released, and the mod and content community is all built out and stable. Why spend another several hundred dollars on a new ecosystem, especially if it's bringing back the very limitations that made TS2 so limiting, the lack of CAST resulting in endless collections of recolors if you cared about appearances, and the return of cut scenes, slowing down game play and forcing you to move either your whole household to another lot for a group activity, or just a single sim at a time, for some off lot experience.
This^ even though I'm playing both right now.

Quote:
The funny thing is how games in other genres, like FPSs, have gone to "open world" concepts as the next step in evolution. Rather than guiding you down a preplanned path, you can play through a level/world, in a manner you see fit. It makes the game more immersive, and greatly improves re-playability as you can try different approaches to solve a "problem". Yet THE real life simulator, the Sims, might devolve back into a single lot, cut screen method that was the source of endless waiting, and that prevented you from managing your sim family in anything other than a single unit, and that's considered acceptable? That just strikes me as flat out bizarre.
I don't get it either. And it really boggles my damn mind!

Speaking of backdrops I really don't want to believe this will happen. I'm being really positive about this. I want to see a some demo or play it like the titanfall beta did, just to see it myself (if the demo come out).
Lab Assistant
#6391 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 2:16 AM
Question: What do you think about, is going to be the: The Sims Makin’ Magic Live Broadcast?
Since is the only event that we are waiting for, that’s my thoughts:
I don’t think is going to be about the sims 1 expansion, even if they going to talk, a little, about the history of the sims,
I am sure that is about sims 4. The other possibility, is a new world for the sims 3, with some magic,
but I doubt that is true, because we have the Dragon Valley.
Anyway, the only logical explanation is that we are going to have some news, about sims 4.
I can’t think some other explanation,
I can’t imagine that this is about sims 1, and some guru is going to say to us how awesome the sims 1 was,
except maybe if they all have gone senile. What do you think?
Mad Poster
Original Poster
#6392 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 3:14 AM
What if the first expansion pack is magic based?

->> Check Out Checkout: Journey To Employee Of The Month! <<-

~ Just a click a day is nothing short of helpful! ~
Mad Poster
#6393 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 4:46 AM
Those comparison photos are so intense! I guess it helps their creators pass the time while they wait for news, but they have more patience than I do.

Also, since woohooing will be a skill, I wonder if woohooty texts are going to make a comeback? The only reason I am wondering now is due to the fact that I had the craziest dream last night that I sent someone an unsolicited woohooty text. (It didn't work out for me as well as it does for my sims, either. I had to apologize. So awkward.)

Of course, then, that also makes me wonder about the cell phone situation. Just like the car in pockets question, will cell phones automatically be in their inventories or not? There are still just so many unanswered questions.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#6394 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 4:58 AM
Quote: Originally posted by ~MadameButterfly~
Of course, then, that also makes me wonder about the cell phone situation. Just like the car in pockets question, will cell phones automatically be in their inventories or not? There are still just so many unanswered questions.

If the UI image is real then the cellphone is nailed to it so I'd say yes, all sims have phones.

I'm really getting excited about the MM live broadcast (I know I shouldn't because then the disappointment is greater when EA failes to deliver).

Knowing how badly the gurus know how to play any sim game I'm waiting for lots of death and mayhem. Specially because TS1 sims drain out of their needs so fast it's not even funny. I hope they say something about TS4. Even if this ends up being a hint for yet another TS3 world, or cheaty PC item. It would be nice if they could give at least a bit of new info.

Worst case scenario, this is just noise to distract us and recycle old TS4 info and they will just wait for that event next month.
Mad Poster
#6395 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 5:05 AM
Oh, ok! It's been a while since I've seen the UI.

I really hope they put out fresh news and not recycled stuff.

♥ }i{ Monarch of the Receptacle Refugees }i{ ♥
Mad Poster
#6396 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 7:08 AM
This is BS!

http://simsvip.com/2014/02/24/sims-...give-us-months/

https://twitter.com/SimsVIP/status/437845624851922944

Man...F this!

Mad Poster
#6397 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 7:50 AM

With this speed it will be september before we find out anything and even then it will probably be telling us TS4 has been postponed.
Field Researcher
#6398 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 8:01 AM

"Give us a few more months"

I've tried to be patient with this game only because I love the series, but I feel they should have just said nothing at all about this. That announcement I know for certain will make people (myself included) even more impatient and make them care even less about the game. Considering they haven't shed a word about The Sims 4 for months now, its making me feel this game will have next to no content and is going to be poorly managed, also because so many people lost their jobs recently. In conclusion to my post I am sad to say I am becoming thoroughly disappointed with this game. It seems the bad things they've announced over shadow the good things. Looks like we're going to have to wait three months to get information which is April/May by the way. The game is coming out in the fall...

❤"Don't cry because its over, smile because it happened"❤"It's okay for you to disagree with me I can't force you to be right"❤"I don't care what anybody says, sleep is my BFF"❤
Mad Poster
#6399 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 8:18 AM
Quote:
Tell us more about the multitasking in The Sims 4.
Sims can now do several things at once. They can run on the treadmill at the same time while talking to their friend. It is possible to eat and drink - which was not possible in The Sims 3. Our Sim can eat a meal and drink at the same time, they are not separate interactions. In addition, it is possible to watch TV and talk, or talk while cooking. Sims will stop cooking, to gesticulate, but after they show what they have to show, they will return to cooking. Family meals will also make a comeback. The whole family will sit at the table, they will talk, eat and drink together. Less robotic, more human!
Yes but can they run on a treadmill and make a meal at the same time?

Also this eating and drinking is a BS multitasking scenario. It's how they do the animations. They could have changed even TS2 animations from eating, to eating and drinking.
Multitasking is doing two different interactions together. Not doing one interaction that has just been animated to look like it's two different animations at once. Now what could be nice is if this animation could be converted to TS3. Because honestly I've been wanting sims to drink more water since TS1.

Quote: Originally posted by litlegothcat13
Agreed. Before I get stoned, I did like the open world in concept. Who wouldn't like to have their sims go to community lots on foot without loading times? I still like that concept, but we got it in exchange for rabbit holes and an empty world....and I'm not sure it was worth it. What's the point of having my sims go out if every place they go is empty? Even the hotspots in Late Night were always empty. And what's the point of sending them outside if there's few places where I can see my sims doing stuff? I can't see them eat, I can't watch a movie with them...some of those things, like galleries and concerts were added in later EPs, but it still didn't work because they were always empty like everything else.

Having empty lots is basically a bad game-design aspect from EA. What makes the world empty is not because we have an open hood. Worlds are empty because EA worlds are too big and lots are spread across too big distance. A lot of the EA worlds are stunning, sunlet tides for example but what comes to town design EA is clueless to what works in their game. I'm playing a small world (edited version of Maritne's Arkham) where the town is build on quite small piece of land. With everything so nicely packed you end up having too many sims on lots because sims don't spend half their time commuting. So if you really do want to get the best out of an open world go and find a custom world you like, and build or download none EA RH lots for your sims to go to. My hood has RH only for work purposes but when my sims go out on town, regardless is it going to the local liquor store to buy some booze, shopping for groceries or going out for a coffee they do it all in open venues.

Honestly I really hope they don't ditch the open hood concept. Even tough the open hood was not a selling point for me when I switched to TS3 I've come to love it so much switching back to lot based world might be hard.

Quote:
Are there any rabbitholes (eg: stadium or military base)?
The creators did not officially mention anything about the rabbitholes, publicly. I'm not allowed to talk about it, unfortunately. I can't comment on it, except to say that you will be satisfied.

I wonder what exactly do they mean by being satisfied. If going to work is going and disappearing inside an object on the lot, it's a RH. If going to work is disappearing of camera like in TS1 and TS2 it's still a RH. The only none RH scenario is that all work places are open (like in the open RH job mod) but EA has mentioned that this is not happening in TS4.
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#6400 Old 24th Feb 2014 at 9:15 AM
Is that actual fact that it's delayed to 2015 now?

On another topic, I was looking at the windows in the outside comparison shots of the house. It seems TS4 will either be very graphically different in how it renders glass, *or* the TS4 one is an artist impression. Those windows have sort of painted on "reflectivity" like how we used to make mirrors in TS1.

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Locked thread
Page 256 of 817