Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Test Subject
#151 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 8:45 AM
I thought i found what was rong but when I tested it it was not in the catalog. When I click on the one I cloned (its a tabel) the image for it is blue?. Heres my model please could you tell me whats rong. Thanks
Attached files:
File Type: zip  My desaster.zip (273.0 KB, 10 downloads)

ColemanSystems Expansion Package coming soon!
(ETA 14th November 2007)
Advertisement
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#152 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 8:52 AM
Hi Ply,

Well the most obvious problem is that you've got three OBJD but only two OBJF.

Before I look much closer though, I notice that you've cloned a counter. This is a really bad idea as far as changing footprints goes, because there are a lt of complex behaviours in counters to make them join up with each other and change meshes when they need to. They are specifically designed to have only one tile, and to extend by using multiples of that single tile object. If you make them multi-tile, you're going to have a pretty huge clean-up task ahead of you.

Was there a specific reason for trying to make a counter have a larger footprint?
Test Subject
#153 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 11:16 AM
Im going to make a kitchine as one object. Just 5 minuets before i posted this reply i realised that there were 2 instead of 3 Object Functions. When I fixed this the object showed up in the catalog and the exact same next to it so 2 of the one square counters. Heres the newest version.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  New.zip (236.6 KB, 8 downloads)

(ETA 14th November 2007)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#154 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 11:32 AM
Hi Ply,

You're trying to make a whole kitchen as a single object? Er... Why? The amount of work to get all that functionality into a single object is absolutely mind boggling! Fixing the footprint is the least of your worries with a project like that!

Even so, you definitely don't want to be basing this on a counter. If you want to use a base object to build complex behaviour onto, the counter definitely isn't it. I'd actually suggest a dead simple object like a statue, so you can add the functionality one piece at a time. It'd be easier to keep track of what you need to keep and what you can get rid of then.
Test Subject
#155 Old 29th Oct 2006 at 12:44 PM
Im atchally trying to save myself time when I get round to creating new animations for making foods. So the sims follow a set path instead of creating it them self. I dont want to fix the path I just want it to have more than one green square.

(ETA 14th November 2007)
Test Subject
#156 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 6:21 AM
Ive thought of another way. Is it possible to put more that one counter in to the same object? because that would put the object in and automaticly put the squares in.

(ETA 14th November 2007)
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#157 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 12:21 PM
Urr... I still really, honestly think making multiple different objects then just modifying the code to reference each other would be a lot easier (not easy, it'd be a pain in the arse to code, but nothing compared to trying to change counters into something else)...

However, since you asked the question... Yes, it would be possible to put more than one counter in the same object, in a manner of speaking. What you'd have to do is create one large, empty object, with slots in the appropriate places. Then, on entering live mode, you'd have code to spawn counters into these slots. I can't guarantee that the counters would work anything like you'd expect them to though...
Instructor
#158 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 4:04 PM
I have made a new cat tree and added something on the second level. I have not made the tree any larger than the original one, but have added a circular structure (see image below). The cat, of course, walks right through it. Since I am not adding a footprint per se-do I add a container slot to my object or what? I just need a direction to which tutorial to go read. I have fisheyes tutorial.
Screenshots

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Test Subject
#159 Old 30th Oct 2006 at 4:48 PM
Thanks. Any tips or help you can give me I will accept with great please. (Id better get my computer inshured)

(ETA 14th November 2007)
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#160 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 8:19 AM Last edited by -Maylin- : 5th Nov 2006 at 11:06 AM.
It doesn't work for me...
My sims go through my bookcase!
Please, someone can help me?
I try to fix this footprint since 3 days...
I need an explanation with simple words because english is not my language and it's difficult for me to understand something in technical terms!
Thanks
-Maylin-

Sorry I can't take requests anymore!
And I will probably never convert my creations for TS2 to TS3.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#161 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 11:04 AM
Paleoanth: I'm not entirely sure I understand your problem... is it that part of the single tile which was previously traversable now shouldn't be? If that's the case, then check out the discussion about two pages back starting here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...346#post1381346
which describes how to specify which areas are traversable *within* the tile.

Maylin - I'm afraid I can't really make the tutorial all that much less technical, because changing footprints is quite a complicated thing to do. If you just want to make a wider bookcase, perhaps you could ask Grapholina for permission to clone hers? She created one some time ago (there is a discussion about it in this thread) and we found out that it was not a simple object to change. I'll look at your package as soon as I can anyway (I'm out of time tonight, but I might be able to look properly tomorrow) although if you just want it to work then cloning an existing multi-tile bookshelf might be easier.
Instructor
#162 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 1:58 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Echo
Paleoanth: I'm not entirely sure I understand your problem... is it that part of the single tile which was previously traversable now shouldn't be? If that's the case, then check out the discussion about two pages back starting here:

If I am understanding your understanding...yes. The cat goes right through the new circular section of my mesh. The original Maxis mesh has nothing there, just a flat surface so cats walk over it. I want them to recognize the circular part as solid. If I can get that far, I might try to add a scratching behavior to that particular part of the cat tree. Or I might just be happy that they are not going through that part of the tree.

I will read the area you suggested. Maybe a lightbulb will go off! Thank you.

Cogito ergo nupta non sum.
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#163 Old 31st Oct 2006 at 4:15 PM

Maylin - I'm afraid I can't really make the tutorial all that much less technical, because changing footprints is quite a complicated thing to do. If you just want to make a wider bookcase, perhaps you could ask Grapholina for permission to clone hers? She created one some time ago (there is a discussion about it in this thread) and we found out that it was not a simple object to change. I'll look at your package as soon as I can anyway (I'm out of time tonight, but I might be able to look properly tomorrow) although if you just want it to work then cloning an existing multi-tile bookshelf might be easier.

Thanks Echo,
Don't worry, I can understand explanation, and I really want to learn how to fix the footprint. Maybe you can help me with screenshots when it becomes too technical...

Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#164 Old 1st Nov 2006 at 4:01 PM
Default Hi Echo,
I worked all the day on my bookcase and my sims can't walk through it!
But now they can't take a book
It is as if there were a wall in front of them!

Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#165 Old 3rd Nov 2006 at 10:28 AM
Maylin - Well done on getting the sims to stop walking through it! I am sorry for the slow responses, I have been working late a bit recently and have not had time to look at anything for more than a few minutes.

Yes, that happens with bookcases, which is why I suggested asking to clone Grapholina's. We had a conversation about it here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...457#post1127457

The other option is to use atavera's more precise footprint technique, which is here:

Echo
Addicted to Capuccino!
retired moderator
#166 Old 5th Nov 2006 at 11:06 AM
Thanks Echo, but after several attempts, I give up. Impossible for me to understand why it doesn't work...

Test Subject
#167 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 1:27 PM Last edited by Spaik : 14th Dec 2006 at 11:02 PM.
First of all, thanks Echo for the wonderful tutorial. It was easy to understand even for a dummy like me.

Now, since I've tried to delete a tile (under a staircase), instead of adding more, and I had some trouble with it, I thought that maybe the information on how I solved the problem could be useful to someone else in future.

Staircases have reserved tiles on two different floors. To make the staircase usable like the HolySmoke Modular Stair, I left the upper floor tiles unchanged (the OBJD have usually a "Hi" in their names).

In the OBJD I deleted the file "Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,1" (the word "Value" may change if another staircase is cloned).
I took note of the instance number and deleted the OBJf and the NREF files with the same instance number.
(after this, I tried the stairs and the game crashed )

Last step: I changed the other Object Data as follows.
OBJD name Multi-tile sub index
"Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,2" 1
"Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,3" 2
"Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,4" 3
"Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,5 Pad" 4
Finally I renamed the OBJD names accordingly, just to know which is which (ie. "Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,2" became "Stairs - Straight - Value - Lo 0,1").

The result can be seen in the attached picture (please don't tell me the staircase is awful: it's not finished yet ).
And if what I wrote is so easy that only a dummy like me had to point it out, please have mercy and don't tell me.

EDIT: You don't need to do the last part (the steps I put in Italic) to simply free a tile under the stairs, since renumbering the Multi-tile sub index changes the tiles on upper floor too. The first time I messed up the package trying to do lots of things together.
Simply make sure to delete the OBJf and NREF with the same instance number of the OBJD.

Silvia
Screenshots
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#168 Old 13th Dec 2006 at 2:23 PM
Cheers Silvia, thank you for that information! I have never really played with stairs, so this was certainly news to me, and not something I would have immediately thought to try. Thank you very much for sharing it here, so that future stair cloners can make the same changes.
Lab Assistant
#169 Old 22nd Dec 2006 at 6:20 AM Last edited by nectere : 22nd Dec 2006 at 6:41 AM.
I am trying to take away a tile/slot, but in each of these threads I look in either the links are dead or the posts are deleted that teach how to do this. I want to make a two tile desk a one tile desk, but I dont want to clone someone elses because they all seem to be really a 1x1 formica dining table, and the game wont recognize that as a valid desk for putting homework on. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#170 Old 22nd Dec 2006 at 7:48 AM
IndigoRage asked about this on a previous page:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthre...4384#post884384

Not sure specifically about slots, it depends on whether the slot is linked to the OBJd that you delete or not. It should probably work though.
Lab Assistant
#171 Old 23rd Dec 2006 at 3:27 AM
Thank you Echo!
Lab Assistant
#172 Old 8th Jan 2007 at 8:40 PM
The "packed file" tab is now the "resource" tab. And yes, you do need to change the instances manually, there is no automatic button to do it anymore (it generally did more harm than good to just change them all at once anyway!)

First of all, thank you so much, Echo, for your wonderful tutorial. It's really great and quite understandable even for such dummies like me.

I'm sorry if my note is a bit outdated and will be of any use only for inexperienced modders, but there is a button that changes instances automatically. After cloning a record you should select both the original record and the cloned one and click on Unique Instances button. The cloned record will get a new unique instance. You can perfectly add as many new records as you wish and change all their instances at once by just one click.
Test Subject
#173 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 7:21 PM Last edited by badbuck : 20th Jan 2007 at 11:21 PM.
Further to my thread on TSR and your suggestion to post the file here.

Echo here is the file for my shower mesh and it is back to the initial state that has already been submitted to TSR. I did do what was in your tut for the footprint and tried placing the tile on just about each adjacent tile as well as just the tut suggestion with no resultant tile produced at all. In fact i never managed to get the "asthetic" other green box footprint nevermind preventing movement through it.

Hope you can help or perhaps explain why it wouldnt work for this mesh. If you want me to put the file into the state i had it after following the tut then let me know and ill change it. Thanks in advance.
Retired Duck
retired moderator
Original Poster
#174 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 10:37 PM
Mick - I would prefer if you posted your end product, so I can figure out which steps aren't working for you, rather than going in and enabling the whole thing from scratch.
Test Subject
#175 Old 20th Jan 2007 at 10:53 PM
Mick - I would prefer if you posted your end product, so I can figure out which steps aren't working for you, rather than going in and enabling the whole thing from scratch.

No problem ill do it pronto and post again soon.

Just didnt know if finding my mistake (or lack of) in a whole lot of info would be worse or better than doing the steps in the first place lol
Page 7 of 11