Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Field Researcher
#16426 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:41 AM
Open world, loading screens, pools or no pools, the only thing I want is far better animations, less lazy animations where sims WALK to their cars, GET INTO THEIR CARS, and PULL OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY in their cars. And pregnant sims not throwing up into the back of their toilets. The CAS stuff is appealing, the multasking sounds nice, emotions are fine. But all of that will mean jack shit to me if we have to suffer through shitty rabbit holes, shitty animations, clipping, laziness on the part of the programmers, and frustrating batshit stupidity.
Advertisement
Theorist
#16427 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:42 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SimGuruGraham
This is not an accurate representation of what loading is like in The Sims 4. There is always an active lot. You'll never hit a load screen when moving between neighborhoods and then have to hit another loading screen to move onto a lot. You always select the lot you want to go to and then the neighborhood and its public spaces are also loaded around it.

INACCURATE IMAGE FROM BubbleO's post:

Ok Graham, wait, what? So you're saying I select to go to the gym, right? So my Sim starts making their way to the gym, hits a loading screen, and appears at the gym? Then my sim walks off the gym, into the neighborhood, then decides he wants to go to the club, and walks to the club, and is hit with another loading screen, then appears in the club? After a long day out my sim then selects to go home, and is hit with a loading screen and then appears at home? Is that correct?
Field Researcher
#16428 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:51 AM
If I'm understanding Graham's last post right, you can only travel between neighborhoods by visiting a lot? Because one has to be active for you to go there.

I'm a little disappointed, to be honest. I expected to be able to send my Sim into another neighborhood and walk around and choose where to go. As it stands, it sounds like you will be forced to choose a lot to visit and then move into the neighborhood from there. That feels even less 'open' than I had thought.
Lab Assistant
#16429 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:54 AM
Quote: Originally posted by SepiaFlower
Graham, could you share any details on how story progression will function? - i.e. births, deaths, careers etc in other lots in the neighbourhoods? Obviously with rotational play you'd want to be able to turn these options off, but what about for non-rotational simmers who want the world to progress around them?

Just gonna re-post this here cos Graham appeared again .... >_> :P
Theorist
#16430 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 12:55 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tedw
If I'm understanding Graham's last post right, you can only travel between neighborhoods by visiting a lot? Because one has to be active for you to go there.

I'm a little disappointed, to be honest. I expected to be able to send my Sim into another neighborhood and walk around and choose where to go. As it stands, it sounds like you will be forced to choose a lot to visit and then move into the neighborhood from there. That feels even less 'open' than I had thought.

I get what you're saying, but I see why they chose to do it this way. You're going to end up at a lot one way or another and it doesn't actually keep you from exploring the public spaces. It's just a lot.. you can walk right off of it as soon as you load there. There is no load screen from leaving a lot to see the public areas, just when changing active lots.

How does being loaded at the, I assume, sidewalk of a lot really keep you from just wandering about?
Instructor
#16431 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:02 AM Last edited by alverdine : 16th Jun 2014 at 1:32 AM.
Hello Graham , next time you guys reveal info can you please try to touch on things like:

*terraforming tools
*pools
*why no driveways or garages, is it not possible to have a room on ground level if there is foundation?
*world editor
*toddlers, genetics (will two different skin toned parents blend to a mid-tone baby?) and family aspects
*loading screens
*max number of lots in world, will it expand in time?

Instead of CAS and emotions, we know plenty about that already, your studio is starting to sound like a broken record.

Thanks for being the only one to give new info at E3 though, out of all the gurus it seems like you empathise most with the fanbase and it's greatly appreciated.
Lab Assistant
#16432 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:02 AM
I'm still annoyed that Sunset Valley had 92 lots, while Willow Creek is only going to have 20 - 25. How are there only going to be like 8-10 families and 8-10 community lots? And I'm really afraid this new closed world is going to feel chopped-up and claustrophobic.

I'm scared for TS4...so much so, in fact, that I almost want to drop my Sims blog. I've recently reached 11,000 followers, yet all of my drive is gone, because we keep getting bad news about TS4. Community morale is so low, it's almost impossible to be excited for the game. It's honestly pretty depressing
Theorist
#16433 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:03 AM
This is not an accurate representation of what loading is like in The Sims 4. There is always an active lot. You'll never hit a load screen when moving between neighborhoods and then have to hit another loading screen to move onto a lot. You always select the lot you want to go to and then the neighborhood and its public spaces are also loaded around it.

[(image removed)

So does this mean we'll never have back to back loading screens moving around the neighborhoods? And that you can't choose to visit public spaces in another neighborhood or world without selecting a lot and being sent there first?
Scholar
#16434 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:04 AM
Aw, why hammer the guy with extra questions/accusations, I'm sure he's telling us what he can when he can.
Theorist
#16435 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
Aw, why hammer the guy with extra questions/accusations, I'm sure he's telling us what he can when he can.

We scared him off Such a nice guy coming over and explaining on his day off.
Lab Assistant
#16436 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:05 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Honeywell
So does this mean we'll never have back to back loading screens moving around the neiborhoods? And that you can't choose to visit public spaces in another neighborhood or world without selecting a lot and being sent there first?

I think so. There must always be an "active" lot. Even if you just wanted to explore a neighborhood or go to a public space, you can just choose a lot to "activate" arbitrarily and then walk around the neighborhood. And I don't think Sims teleport to the lot, I think they appear at the edge of the neighborhood, to avoid the feeling that the Sims are teleporting everywhere.
Theorist
#16437 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:07 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
I think so. There must always be an "active" lot. Even if you just wanted to explore a neighborhood or go to a public space, you can just choose a lot to "activate" arbitrarily and then walk around the neighborhood. And I don't think Sims teleport to the lot, I think they appear at the edge of the neighborhood, to avoid the feeling that the Sims are teleporting everywhere.

NPCs and other families, sure, but our sims would likely arrive at the lot. Think of it like TS2 when visiting a community lot.
Field Researcher
#16438 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:07 AM
It would be abusive if we were forced to face a loading screen to also leave the lot, it would be a loading screen spam at the players, so it's just after loading the lot it gets active then you explore the area without loadings only in the public open spaces?

If you're one exploring kind of player and you have your sims around several locations of your town, oh dear! I really hope loadings are fast enough so i don't loose the immersion playing the game because it stops to many times to load things.
Lab Assistant
#16439 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:08 AM
Quote: Originally posted by lovcat
NPCs and other families, sure, but our sims would likely arrive at the lot.

I hope not. That would make the world feel so much more chopped up and separated.
Theorist
#16440 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MaxBacon
It would be abusive if we were forced to face a loading screen to also leave the lot, it would be a loading screen spam at the players, so it's just after loading the lot it gets active then you explore the area without loadings only in the public open spaces?

If you're one exploring kind of player and you have your sims around several locations of your town, oh dear!

Yeah, as far as I understand and I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on the concept. You load the lot to make it active and you can go anywhere that is public space, but when you want to visit another lot you'll have a short load screen. Same goes for that lot.. if you want to leave it and run to hit on the sim at the park.. no load screens.. unless she walks to the gym, then there is a load screen. (unless you were at the gym previously.. then.. oh god I made it complicated.)
Field Researcher
#16441 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:13 AM

Oh wow, I'm sorry for misleading everyone
Field Researcher
#16442 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:15 AM
Quote: Originally posted by pkessler
I'm still annoyed that Sunset Valley had 92 lots, while Willow Creek is only going to have 20 - 25. How are there only going to be like 8-10 families and 8-10 community lots? And I'm really afraid this new closed world is going to feel chopped-up and claustrophobic.

I'm scared for TS4...so much so, in fact, that I almost want to drop my Sims blog. I've recently reached 11,000 followers, yet all of my drive is gone, because we keep getting bad news about TS4. Community morale is so low, it's almost impossible to be excited for the game. It's honestly pretty depressing

I lost all the drive for my blog during E3. Bunch of messages from lost souls asking about information last week, just sitting in my inbox. I'm excited now, though, but I'm trying to be pretty open with everything until I see how it plays. There would have to be some monumental screw up for me to lose all interest in the game entirely, and even if there was, I'd probably come crawling back in a few years.
Field Researcher
#16443 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:16 AM
Yeah, as far as I understand and I'm pretty sure I have a good grasp on the concept. You load the lot to make it active and you can go anywhere that is public space, but when you want to visit another lot you'll have a short load screen. Same goes for that lot.. if you want to leave it and run to hit on the sim at the park.. no load screens.. unless she walks to the gym, then there is a load screen. (unless you were at the gym previously.. then.. oh god I made it complicated.)

This gone like:
Gurus - Hey guys it's not fully open world, there is loading screens to move between districts of the same world.
Us - If it improves the game performance it's perfect then!
Gurus - Hey guys there is loading screens to move between lots inside district you are at.
Us - Okay... Feels okay,i can live with loading screens!
Gurus - Hey guys community lots are also included on such loading to visit inside the area you just loaded, only open areas as parks aren't.
Us - Okay, anything else?
Gurus - TBA
Field Researcher
#16444 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:17 AM
I get what you're saying, but I see why they chose to do it this way. You're going to end up at a lot one way or another and it doesn't actually keep you from exploring the public spaces. It's just a lot.. you can walk right off of it as soon as you load there. There is no load screen from leaving a lot to see the public areas, just when changing active lots.

How does being loaded at the, I assume, sidewalk of a lot really keep you from just wandering about?

Because I don't always send my Sims out to a specific lot in TS3. I like to go to map view, zoom in to a spot and use "jog here" and follow my athletic Sim on varied running routes. I send my Sim who likes to fish to random places where the fish might be biting. My Sim who collects wild animals goes to various spots to see if I can scout a creature he hasn't captured yet. None of those involve going to a lot.

I didn't say it was impossible, it just doesn't suit how I like to play my game. I hope we load at the edge of a neighborhood and then go to the lot we've selected rather than just teleporting to the edge of the lot, but I have a feeling I'm wrong on that.
Theorist
#16445 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:17 AM
Quote: Originally posted by gwynne
I thought he wanted us to understand how the world works and was happy to explain it for us. It's pretty obvious we don't understand it fully -- except maybe lovcat does.
Theorist
#16446 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:21 AM
It would be oh so much simpler if a video of the neighborhood loading happened to "leak".

cough cough
Field Researcher
#16447 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:22 AM
One thing i just wondered about, if you send your sim to the Gym from another district. You will face 2 Loadings?

Because you have to load the new district, travel to the gym there, and then load the gym, am i right? Or will it "magically" appear on the gym already without need to show you enter the new district?

EDIT: It's actually a question, if you disagree so much then explain me how this madness will work.

EDIT 2: Answer: when you travel to the new area as you have to chose one lot to travel to, it will already load it as the "active lot".
Lab Assistant
#16448 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Wedry
I lost all the drive for my blog during E3. Bunch of messages from lost souls asking about information last week, just sitting in my inbox. I'm excited now, though, but I'm trying to be pretty open with everything until I see how it plays. There would have to be some monumental screw up for me to lose all interest in the game entirely, and even if there was, I'd probably come crawling back in a few years.

The Sims 3 was, in my opinion, a monumental screw up, lol. I was super pumped about TS4, but I'm pretty bummed about the fact that we'll be getting ONE world with as many lots as Pleasantview had. And yeah, E3 was definitely the beginning of my apathetic sentiments toward The Sims 4. I spent so much time waiting for E3, defending EA...this was going to be their chance! They were finally going to unveil the game and give us everything we've been waiting for! Well, I don't even need to comment on what happened and how it was handled...we all know. It's just depressing, and I'm honestly exhausted. I feel like my emotions have been played with...maybe TS4news.com needs a hiatus...
Field Researcher
#16449 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:23 AM
Quote: Originally posted by MaxBacon
One thing i just wondered about, if you send your sim to the Gym from another district. You will face 2 LOADING SCREENS?

Because you have to load the new district, travel to the gym there, and then load the gym, am i right? Or will it "magically" appear on the gym already without need to show you enter the new district?

You always load a lot when you load a neighborhood, so if you are in Neighborhood A and choose to visit the gym in Neighborhood B it will be loaded when you appear in the neighborhood.
Field Researcher
#16450 Old 16th Jun 2014 at 1:25 AM
Quote: Originally posted by tedw
You always load a lot when you load a neighborhood, so if you are in Neighborhood A and choose to visit the gym in Neighborhood B it will be loaded when you appear in the neighborhood.

Ah that seems to be it, you choosing to visit the Gym will already load it as the Active Lot. I hope the travel works fine when we enter the new district and it show us our sim to walk there.
Locked thread
Page 658 of 817