Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#176 Old 5th Jul 2007 at 7:42 PM
Quote: Originally posted by onion_girl_9
1. If you have any EPs installed you must edit the broadcast.ini file of the most recent EP. You will always find the broadcast.ini file under:
\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 <ep>\TSData\Res\UserData (unless you installed the game initially to a different location).
I recently installed the H&M Fashion Stuff Pack and found that I had the flashing blue screens that so many have reported. Curiously, the extended menu selections for the additional television stations were displaying correctly, and the approprate skill gains were also occuring for Sims who watched these flashing blue channels. This indicates to me that the modified Broadcast.ini file in My Documents was being processed correctly, apart from the actual video display.

It appears that for some installations it is not enough to modify My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config\broadcast.ini as I described above. After renaming the original Broadcast.ini file in your most recent expansion or stuff pack as Onion_Girl describes above, the modified ini file should also be copied to that same directory. The safest procedure is to ensure that both the My Documents and Program Files paths contain the same modified file.

Personally I would view this program behaviour as a bug in the game's coding. Configuration changes should normally be defined by one ini file only, not blended in some non-intuitive way between two different files. The most logical place for "UserData" is the My Documents folder. I suspect that the programmers' intention was for the user ini files in the Program Files path to be for backup purposes only. Clearly this is not always the case.
Advertisement
Lab Assistant
#177 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:25 PM
Default new tv channel Scrubs
ok so i believe i've followed this tutorial 100% but it's still not working and i think it's something i'm doing and hope so one can help me.

so 1st i open the file with sim pe and go to "object data" to change the GUID.

2nd once i've commit and saved the new GUID, i go to "text list" and then to "MakeActionString prim String set"

3rd i add 0x0: to the string

4th using the string box, i change the name of "0x0: change to.../inSIMenator Broadcast Network (IBN)" to "0x0: change to.../Scrubs Broadcast Network (SBN)" i commit and save it.

Lab Assistant
#178 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:37 PM
5th i go to "Material Names"

6th i changed "tvstation_insimenator" to "tvstation_scrubs" though the string.

7th i go to "my documents/ ea games/ the sims2/ movies/ Broadcast" and add my new file "TvScrubs"

8th i go from "my documents/ ea games/ the sims2/ movies/ Broadcast" to "my documents/ ea games/ the simes/ config" and open Broadcast.

9th i oen up Broadcast and add "9=tvstation_scrubs"

Lab Assistant
#179 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 6:49 PM
10th i go the very bottom of the page and add
"[tvstation_scrubs]
Folder=Broadcast/TvScrubs"

11th then i went to "my computer/ local disk (c)/ program files/ eagames and the sims2 pets?

12th i go to "TSData/ Res/ UserData/ Config/ Broadcast" and add the exact same things as i did for 9 and 10?

13th i go in to my game and tell my sim to turn on the channel

(now in step 4 i thought i chaged inSIMenator Broadcast Network (IBN) to Scrubs Broadcast Network (SBN)?

14 and last i get a nice flashing blue sceen.

i really hope some one can tell me whats going on.
Theorist
#180 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 2:36 AM
Quote: Originally posted by aberry5000
ok so i believe i've followed this tutorial 100% but it's still not working and i think it's something i'm doing and hope so one can help me.

so 1st i open the file with sim pe and go to "object data" to change the GUID.
I assume you have already pregistered a block of GUIDs for SimPE.

2nd once i've commit and saved the new GUID, i go to "text list" and then to "MakeActionString prim String set"

3rd i add 0x0: to the string

4th using the string box, i change the name of "0x0: change to.../inSIMenator Broadcast Network (IBN)" to "0x0: change to.../Scrubs Broadcast Network (SBN)" i commit and save it.

5th i go to "Material Names"

6th i changed "tvstation_insimenator" to "tvstation_scrubs" though the string.
This all looks correct.

7th i go to "my documents/ ea games/ the sims2/ movies/ Broadcast" and add my new file "TvScrubs"
I assume you also put a working video in this directory. You could double-check if the video is working by putting it in one of the EA provided channels. Conversely, you could install the working video from SEVEN's FIY TV Channel in your new folder. Incidentally, a folder may contain more than one video - the game will play them in sequence.

8th i go from "my documents/ ea games/ the sims2/ movies/ Broadcast" to "my documents/ ea games/ the simes/ config" and open Broadcast.

9th i oen up Broadcast and add "9=tvstation_scrubs"

10th i go the very bottom of the page and add
"[tvstation_scrubs]
Folder=Broadcast/TvScrubs"
CommercialInterval and CommercialFolder are optional, specifying how often to introduce commercials, and where to find them.

11th then i went to "my computer/ local disk (c)/ program files/ eagames and the sims2 pets?

12th i go to "TSData/ Res/ UserData/ Config/ Broadcast" and add the exact same things as i did for 9 and 10?
Yes. Make a backup copy of the original, then just copy the new ini file over from the My Documents path.

13th i go in to my game and tell my sim to turn on the channel

(now in step 4 i thought i chaged inSIMenator Broadcast Network (IBN) to Scrubs Broadcast Network (SBN)?

14 and last i get a nice flashing blue sceen.

i really hope some one can tell me whats going on.
Did you save your new package file somewhere in the Downloads folders? Perhaps double-check too that your changes in SimPE were committed and saved properly. Otherwise I can't see what else could have gone wrong - but for sure try a known working video in your new folder, and your own video in one of the standard TV channel folders.
Lab Assistant
#181 Old 29th Jul 2007 at 7:52 PM
thank you for replying Sophie-David, loast night i tryed somethink diffrent and now it works :D
but still i have one problem the pie meanu is still comming up as inSIMenator Broadcast Network (IBN)
Test Subject
#182 Old 12th Aug 2007 at 10:52 PM
i have the same problem with the blue screen, how did you fix it?
Test Subject
#183 Old 7th Sep 2007 at 7:44 PM
fLaShiNg Blue screen
I'm seeming to not be able to figure this out. I've done it before, a long time ago. But now all I am getting is the blue flashing screen.

What causes that? Do you know??

Test Subject
#184 Old 14th Sep 2007 at 5:13 PM
Great tutorial I'm so gonna try to make a show from my favorite Sim family
Test Subject
#185 Old 28th Sep 2007 at 5:37 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Vilaki
Perhaps could you also make a Tutorial in which it is explained how one can make transmitters of his own in the radio?
there already is w way, i might post a tute about it...

after i make my simtel channel | |

Elections are won by men and women chiefly because most people vote against somebody rather than for somebody.
- Franklin P. Adams
Banned
#186 Old 2nd Oct 2007 at 6:44 AM
Quote: Originally posted by mogbog123
there already is a way, i might post a tute about it...

after i make my simtel channel | |
(note these are both my accounts )

how do i post tutes? it says im not allowed
Mad Poster
#187 Old 5th Oct 2007 at 4:21 PM Last edited by Menaceman44 : 7th Oct 2007 at 6:58 PM.
thank you for replying Sophie-David, loast night i tryed somethink diffrent and now it works :D
but still i have one problem the pie meanu is still comming up as inSIMenator Broadcast Network (IBN)

Did you ever sort this problem?
I've just followed this tutorial for the first time and when I came to alter the pie menu text I DIDN'T add any 0x0: to the front of the option. I just altered the channel name so that it read; Change To.../Horror
Before committing the file I clicked on the "Default lang only" button and then committed. I've had no problems with pie menu options.

On a different note it also appears that there is a Pets channel listed in the broadcast.ini file.

My deviantART, MTS Yearbook Origin ID = Alistu
Test Subject
#188 Old 16th Oct 2007 at 3:10 AM
I seem to get the blue screen everyone talks about.. only its light grey, and it appears even when I test on standard channels, is this some seasons bug? I tried testing with a downloaded avi supposed to work.
Test Subject
#189 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 9:57 PM
Okay I've read all of this and I've done it over and over again but I don't get a blue screen I get nothing but commercials and not what I put in the folder for it to play...Can someone help me out here?
Test Subject
#190 Old 14th Nov 2007 at 10:06 PM

How did you get your to work?
Test Subject
#191 Old 12th Dec 2007 at 6:36 PM
Default Video Compression
How can i compress videos or movies to watch on the sims 2 im talking about Movies by the megs and gigs
Theorist
#192 Old 12th Dec 2007 at 8:30 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Jrocca
How can i compress videos or movies to watch on the sims 2 im talking about Movies by the megs and gigs
There is a tutorial for doing so here, although personally I don't do it quite that way - see Post #107 in that thread.

Since the Sims 2 video player is operating at such low resolution, video compression is not really a problem, and a typical movie will come in at under 200 MB. It is actually the audio that uses more bandwidth, since if you scrimp on that it will be noticeable - a movie's audio quality in the Sims 2 is more a function of your playback hardware than of the game itself.

The video file size is however a problem for the game's player, because it tends to jam out with files much over 15 MB. Typically the audio and video will start to fall out of synchronization, and then one of the other of them will freeze. You can try to work around this by breaking up your source video into 15 MB segments, but the disadvantage is that the game will play these back in pseudo-random order.

A more basic problem relates to the time scale of the Sims world itself. For your Sims, a movie trailer or music video is equivalent to a full length feature in our world. By the end of a movie trailer many of them (depending on "personality") are ready to move on to something else.

So although I did convert a full length public domain movie for my contest project, The Hollywood Movie Collection - House on Haunted Hill - I never posted it, nor do I use it at home, because of the factors mentioned above.
Theorist
#193 Old 12th Dec 2007 at 8:50 PM
Quote: Originally posted by lovekamijo86
Okay I've read all of this and I've done it over and over again but I don't get a blue screen I get nothing but commercials and not what I put in the folder for it to play...Can someone help me out here?
I hope you were able to sort out the playback problem since you posted here. You may want to work through the instructions posted in The Hollywood Movie Collection, which have worked for a great many people. In case there was a problem with file conversion, try one of the videos that I posted there.

If you have a Mac it appears you are out of luck, unless someone can prove otherwise!
Test Subject
#194 Old 26th Dec 2007 at 12:33 PM Last edited by beyoncefanny : 26th Dec 2007 at 2:33 PM.
Hey I'm having a problem here as well!
I'm also using the dutch version of the game, and I read that you have to make it dutch then but..I'm using the newest version of SimPE that was provided and I have to import that language?
How do I do that ?

EDIT: Ok about the language..I seem to have fixed that, it does pop up under an english change to but the name is now correct.
Thing is..my screen keeps flashing blue.
The movie works I have checked that on a original channel
My changes were committed and I have put the package file in the downloads folder
I have changed both the broadcasts and as far as I know I have done all the other stuff right as well
So how comes my screens keeps flashing and how do I fix this?
(I saw Aberry had fixed it but to bad didn't tell how? I'll send Aberry a pm as well if that anwser is quicker i'll share it so others know it as well)
Theorist
#195 Old 26th Dec 2007 at 5:48 PM
One way to approach this it to try to see if you can have any custom channel working. Flashing blue screens usually indicate a problem with at least one of your broadcast.ini files, but it could also be that the required directory where you have stored your video cannot be found. Also make sure that your new package file uses the identical channel name to the one you are using in broadcast.ini.

May I suggest working through the installation procedure for The Hollywood Movie Collection which will give you a known working starting point for custom channels - successful now for several hundred people - from which to proceed...

Unless you have a Mac there is no way that adding a custom channel cannot work, but there are a lot of finicky details to trip you up along the way.
Test Subject
#196 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 7:44 PM
Yeah I've made Custom channels in the past and they worked.
then my wife stopped playing it for awhile and just started playing it again recently.
For some reason I can not figure out what I'm doing wrong, I know SimPE is quite a bit different than I last used it. I've check files to make sure they work, but I can't change Channel name nor can I get rid of Blue flashing Screen.
Unfortunately this is the ONLY place I can find a tutorial for this and it seems about 2-3 years old.
Theorist
#197 Old 29th Dec 2007 at 11:12 PM Last edited by Sophie-David : 29th Dec 2007 at 11:21 PM.
Default Using the SimPE 0.62
I would suggest focusing on making the channels that you had working in the past work with the game as you have it now. If there has been any new expansion packs, stuff packs, or game patches installed since your wife was last playing then the broadcast.ini files will have been set back to default. The two copies of broadcast.ini must be indentical in both the My Documents and Program Files folders with the paths described in this thread or the Hollywood Collection thread

Your custom channel is typically cloned from one of the built-in channels, and needs its new channel name and menu option to be specified in SimPE as shown in the attachments. I am using the latest release verions of SimPE, and both these settings are found in the Text Lists section of the Resource Tree. The channel name as specified in the Material Name Resource List must be included in your modified Broadcast.ini. The two Broadcast.ini files index this name to a particular folder in the Movies\Broadcast path.

The file shown, SDTV_Film.package, was cloned from the Music channel and therefore its highest attractiveness is to teens. You are welcome to use this file as a basis for your own, as described in the Copyright Notice at The Hollywood Movie Collection. The most important consideration is to make sure you use your own GUID.
Screenshots
Test Subject
#198 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 9:16 PM
Now I've read the whole thread and noticed that many people have the "flashing blue screen"-problem - so do I!
How can I fix it? I've tried everything here...
Theorist
#199 Old 23rd Feb 2008 at 11:46 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Nimoemo
Now I've read the whole thread and noticed that many people have the "flashing blue screen"-problem - so do I!
How can I fix it? I've tried everything here...
This most typically means that at least one of your Broadcast.ini files is not pointing to your video folder. These are the Broadcast.ini files you must modify: C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Config\Broadcast.ini and C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Latest EP\TSData\Res\UserData\Config\Broadcast.ini. Please see The Hollywood Movie Collection installation procedure for further details, and working sample videos.
Test Subject
#200 Old 3rd Mar 2008 at 6:00 AM
I feel dumb for saying this, since everyone else doesn't seem to have a problem with it, but I don't really understand the guide at all.

It really isn't helpful to me, because I don't understand the program your using, or most of the terms your using. If I was going to be able to modify TV channels I would probably need the process explained to me as if I didn't know what a GUID is, or director point...whatever. ._.

It's not a big enough concern for me to potentially damage my game experimenting with all this.

I'm not saying it's a bad guide, since everyone here knows how to use it, but basically I can't make heads or tails of it.
Page 8 of 11