Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Space Pony
#151 Old 26th May 2007 at 3:39 AM Last edited by Morague : 19th Jun 2007 at 10:23 AM. Reason: to delete unneeded file
Hi Wes &/or anyone else that may care to assist.

I am running into a problem with this mesh. Please see attached. I have enclosed both the .msd & the resulting GMDC (simpe) file from it.

As you can see, in the msd file all of the morphs are correct - there is the full food, half & none. Every time I export t from Milkshape & then reimport it I am getting the full food & 2 half morphs. I have the latest Beta Milkshape, I'm using Unimesh 4.09

I am totally baffled - I have completely redone this thing 3 different times, thinking that I had miscopied something somewhere along the way. I am positive I didn't make any errors. I copied the full food to make the half & the none morphs so I am certain the number of vertices match.

Anyone have any idea why it keeps adding a half morph back into the none morph?

Thanks!!

Morague
Advertisement
Alchemist
Original Poster
#152 Old 26th May 2007 at 4:45 AM
I can confirm that UniMesh behaves badly on your file. This is a quirk related to the use of ~xxMORPHMOD.0. Of course, that is supposed to be legal, and it is supposed to work, but I guess I still didn't get the coding of it right.

Besides "buckets" for the morph data (vertex offsets) there is a morph map for each base group. The default value for every block in there is a zero. When you use a zero for the last digit of a MORPHMOD name, that is the value used in the morph map. Maxis didn't start doing this until EP1 or EP2, before that, the first active morph was always numbered 1 or higher. So it is confusing the exporter somehow going through the morphmap to tell a zero for the first morph from a zero for the unused morph locations (delta values 0,0,0).

I think I fixed your .ms3d file (attached with a different name) by changing the MORPHMOD numbers to 1 and 2. But since I didn't have the rest of the package, I didn't test in game. But it imports back looking like what was exported, this did not happen with your uploaded file.
Attached files:
File Type: zip  wh-state.zip (5.9 KB, 46 downloads) - View custom content
Space Pony
#153 Old 26th May 2007 at 4:56 AM Last edited by Morague : 26th May 2007 at 7:02 AM.
Hi Wes,

Thank you! I am going to try it right now - I should be ale to report back shortly.

Morague

Ok - I was able to import your msd file & then export that to the gmdc & replace the one in the package & that part works - it still shows full, half & none if I reimport it to Milkshape. But, in the game when they eat it, it doesn't clear the plate until after you click on "clean up" even though the plate is supposed to be empty. After eating the whole thing, the sim was only about 3/4 full & there was still the half eaten model on the plate, so it's not a matter of them just not being hungry enough. But, when I clicked on Clean Up, then it updated the plate to be empty.

What I noticed was that in the new gmdc "state" under the Model tab it shows:

0: ,
1: foodeatramenblend, foodeatrammennone
2: foodeatramenblend, foodeatrammenhalf

while the original file it was cloned from shows:

0: foodeatramenblend, foodeatrammennone
1: foodeatramenblend, foodeatrammenhalf

I can't figure out how to get rid of that extra line.

I was also wondering if there was something else I could edit? I've looked through the package but I don't see where the Model - Mesh Group (in this case - state) gets tied to the specific Anims - Object text listing (0x0001 is o-foodEatRamen-full, 0x0002 is o-foodEatRamen-half & 0x0003 is o-foodEatRamen-none) Obviously these are tied together but I don't see anyway to edit the connections. Do you think moving them up one line would make it work (0x0000 line is blank)? I don't really think it will as I think the BHAV just references those lines to call for the animation & somewhere in there something is matching o-foodEatRamen-half animation to the State 1: foodeatramenblend, foodeatrammenhalf

Well, I'm going to play some more tonight. Perhaps I just need to try a different food to clone. The strange thing is, the muffin I did which was cloned from the ramen, too, works perfectly.

I've tried cloning the muffin & the ramen to make the pizza but it's just not working :/
Alchemist
Original Poster
#154 Old 26th May 2007 at 11:33 PM Last edited by wes_h : 26th May 2007 at 11:50 PM.
The link between the animations and the gmdc is the names, not the slot. The fact that two short lists would both have 0, 1 and 2 on them is merely because short lists will always have small numbers for indices.

The first (empty) line would have come from MORPHMOD.0. Since there isn't one numbered that way, the slot is empty. This is the way things were in the base game, and didn't change until the EPs (and even then not consistently).

Look at the buffettable mesh. It has slots 0, 3 and 6 (out of nine name slots) empty (there are three food animations in that). The afBodyNaked mesh has an empty slot zero, and fat and pregnant morphs in slots 1 and 2.

While I will work on trying to make the 0 work right, it is broken right now, and the game does not seem to care whether that slot is used or not. It finds the morphs by the names, not a number (the number does tie the name to the value to look for in the morphmap).

If the morph shows up at all, like it does for cleanup, then the issue is not in the mesh, but something in the bhav. Perhaps one of the values used is large enough that the sims fill up before whatever value decides how many bites can be taken is exhausted. From my game playing, I can see some foods disappear sooner than others, and leave the sims less filled, but I do not know which values govern that behavior, but there has to be something that does.

<* Wes *>
Space Pony
#155 Old 27th May 2007 at 3:13 AM
Hi Wes,

Ok - thank you for this information & for everything you do for all of us!

I have attached a package file for you in hopes that it will help. It has the GMDCs of the salmon extracted from the base game Objects03.package as well as the "same" GMDCs created by OW - something is happening in OW that is changing these. I can't understand it. i searched through every Objects03.package of every EP but the only GMDCs for salmon are in the base game. Why would it be changing them?

I simply used OW to clone the salmon & the enclosed GMDCs are what it gave me, but as you can see they are different than the GMDCs that are actually in the base package.

Very strange!

Morague
Attached files:
File Type: zip  for_Wes.zip (177.6 KB, 38 downloads) - View custom content
Alchemist
Original Poster
#156 Old 27th May 2007 at 6:46 AM
Outside of using it, and passing some advice 'way back, I do not have a lot of answers to give on Object Workshop issues, as I did not write it.

I looked at your files, and they seem to be the same files, but with different names (Morague) added to them.

So I missed understanding what the issue was. I do know sometimes the OW output is just the start of what needs done to finish the project.

Let me know what I am supposed to see in these five files?

<* Wes *>
Space Pony
#157 Old 27th May 2007 at 10:41 AM
Hi Wes,

Sorry - I didn't explain very well :/ Have a look at the Model tab of the GMDC in SimPE - for the original meshes it shows the 3 lines - the 0 line with nothing in it, then lines 1 & 2 with the morphs. In the GMDCs (the one's with Morague in them) that came out of OW that first line 0 is missing & liines 2 & 3 are renamed 1 & 2.

After much investingating this afternoon I have figured out what the problem is with the food not disappearing. Because it's pizza I thought the sims should eat it with their hands. When I do this the food does not all disappear. If I let them eat it with a fork it does. So - I have to keep digging to see if I can get t figured out. I was also able to get the GMDC imported back into the game thanks to your file. So everything is actua;;y working - i just need to see why it's not disappearing when they eat with their hands rather than the fork. I thought I had caught all of the commands for it but.... I must have missed something!

Thanks again,

Morague

I'm not sure if it's worth your time to try to sort this out! If all we need to do is renumber the morph lines from 0 & 1 to 1 & 2 - that seems like a very easy solution.

I appreciate all of your assistance with this
Alchemist
Original Poster
#158 Old 28th May 2007 at 12:26 AM
Because there is a simple workaround, I am going to defer the fix for a later release. I don't like to leave problems lay around, but I am working hard on another new Sims2 modding project thingamabobby, and this way, I don't have to 'shift gears' in my head away from that back to the importer/exporter. I am not sure which of these is actually wrong, although I suspect the exporter first, because it showed in your game problem.

I know you will figure out the hand/fork differences... it sounds like you are hot on the trail.

<* Wes *>
Space Pony
#159 Old 28th May 2007 at 12:14 PM Last edited by Morague : 19th Jun 2007 at 10:26 AM.
Hi Wes,

Thanks for that vote of confidence

I have figured out what is going on with the hand vs fork thing, but, i'm not going to be able to fix it in this project. Foods are very tedious to do - almost every single one of them is different! cloning them to make new foods is fine as long as you can stick with the same basic prep/cook/eat types but that's not what I wanted to do (of course!) In any event i have managed to make a very respectable slice of pizza that gets microwaved. The sims have to eat it with a fork - oh well. The anims look ok & the food disappears correctly. I spent most of the day trying to get the hand anims imported & workng for it, but enough is enough. already. It's fine the way it is.

I agree with you completely - there isn't any point in you spending time trying to sort the morph thingy out when the solution is so simple. You time is better spent on doing other great stuff!

Morague

P.S. - well, never say never! I figured it out & it's wroking perfectly Wes - thank you so much for all you do for this community!
Test Subject
#160 Old 4th Jun 2007 at 11:29 PM
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone could help me figure out why I'm getting an error.

Sometimes when I try and open certain meshes in Milkshape with the Unimesh plugin (I have the latest versions of Milkshape and Unimesh), I get an error saying something like "Too many P1 sections for this implementation". I think it mainly happens with some older meshes, but it's getting really frustrating for me.

If anyone could help me figure out this error and what I can do to fix it, I'd really appreciate it, thanks!
Alchemist
Original Poster
#161 Old 5th Jun 2007 at 2:13 AM
That message is part of some number of error checking I do to make sure the plugin is not being fed some random garbage in the file. I never thought that anyone would ever pass that limit, but it has happened before to another user.

While it is not a user-error, per se, it happens because everytime you have a group (even if it has the same name, like multiple hair-alpha3 groups) it creates a number of the "P1" parts (each has a part of the mesh, like the vertices in one, the normals in another, etc.). Hair mesh makers seem to be the ones that do this a lot.

Until I make a new version, you can fix this by combining some of the same named/same textured groups into one and reexporting it. I will have a fix in the next release, if I remember to make the change.

<* Wes *>
Test Subject
#162 Old 20th Jun 2007 at 6:59 PM
good job wes

It Only Takes A Single Voice ONE VOICE To Start A Revolution.
Test Subject
#163 Old 13th Jul 2007 at 6:42 AM
Hey I just downloaded the new Milkshape version, and I added your plugins (which I love btw), now I can't find "Align Normals" anymore. Did I miss something? I don't think I can work without that feature anymore. Please let me know, thanks.

---SavantInamorata---
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#164 Old 13th Jul 2007 at 7:08 AM
Go get demon's tools and reinstall them, oh yeah and be sure to turn off autosmooth, all your settings get reset with a new version.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Test Subject
#165 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 1:09 AM
Thank Tiggerypum, where might I find demon's tools? It's been a while since I've had to do any updating or changing to my Milkshape.

---SavantInamorata---
Alchemist
Original Poster
#166 Old 14th Jul 2007 at 3:22 AM
It is a couple of threads down on teh list from the UniMesh thread. Here:
http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=139859

Is that your picture in your avatar? If so, you are lovely in your bridal gown.

<* Wes *>

If you like to say what you think, be sure you know which to do first.
Test Subject
#167 Old 23rd Jul 2007 at 10:44 PM
Do you mean I export the mesh's GMDC from SimPE, Import using unimesh in Milkshape, click "ok" on the error I get, and I'm still able to combine parts of the mesh/groups? And from there, I export to SimPE, then just reexport from SimPE to Milkshape?

If I'm playing around with a hair mesh and get the "too many p1 sections" error, i just close Milkshape and leave the mesh alone.

I currently have no idea how to combine same name/textured groups, but the idea of it sounds kind of intimidating.

Quote: Originally posted by wes_h
That message is part of some number of error checking I do to make sure the plugin is not being fed some random garbage in the file. I never thought that anyone would ever pass that limit, but it has happened before to another user.

While it is not a user-error, per se, it happens because everytime you have a group (even if it has the same name, like multiple hair-alpha3 groups) it creates a number of the "P1" parts (each has a part of the mesh, like the vertices in one, the normals in another, etc.). Hair mesh makers seem to be the ones that do this a lot.

Until I make a new version, you can fix this by combining some of the same named/same textured groups into one and reexporting it. I will have a fix in the next release, if I remember to make the change.

<* Wes *>
Alchemist
Original Poster
#168 Old 24th Jul 2007 at 1:23 AM
Select both, regroup and then rename the combined group.
<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#169 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 5:46 AM
It doesn't seem to work. Once I try and import the mesh, I get the "too many p1 sections" error, then I can't do anything. There's nothing available for me to select, so I'm unable to "regroup" anything - there's just nothing there. No list, no mesh, nothing.
Admin of Randomness
retired moderator
#170 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 6:13 AM
rosesims_free

I assume this isn't a maxis mesh? You might need to extract your existing mesh one group at a time using OBJ format from SimPE - to get all your pieces (I assume you made this mesh?)

Then you could import a game hair mesh as your base, and then begin to import your pieces, rename groups, make sure they have appropriate comments, etc.

You'll also have to rework the bone assignments obviously, as they will be lost with the obj saves.

"Undertake something that is difficult; it will do you good. Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered, you will never grow." - Ronald E. Osborn

Please do NOT PM me with requests, creation questions, or game help questions. Click for help:
Game Help | Create | Content List | Where Can I Find?
Alchemist
Original Poster
#171 Old 27th Jul 2007 at 4:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by rosesims_free
There's nothing available for me to select, so I'm unable to "regroup" anything - there's just nothing there. No list, no mesh, nothing.

I believe most of the users here store all their interim work and projects in MilkShape .ms3d files. No Maxis models I know of fail to open with the curretn importer, and I am comfortable saying it is from having too many groups, likely in your case multiple instances of hairalpha3.

I put together an "Interim Update" (located in message #1) for the exporter that raises the number of P1 blocks the software has to work with. You can help prevent the issue in the future by regrouping some of the same name groups, and also you might think of saving your works in the native MilkShape save format.

<* Wes *>

Test Subject
#172 Old 28th Jul 2007 at 4:21 AM Last edited by rosesims_free : 28th Jul 2007 at 8:50 PM.
Thank you SO much, wes!!!! I will use your update, and hopefully it all works !

Edit: It seems to be working perfectly fine. Thank you again!
Test Subject
#173 Old 9th Aug 2007 at 6:37 PM
Default I'm new
Hey all I'm new..by the way. I downloaded this and milkshape and I may make a few things in the future. Great download!
Test Subject
#174 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 8:47 AM
Just wanted to say how much I love your plugins wes I am really learning so much in the whole meshing process and with stupendous tutorials from Tig and HP as well as Dr.Pixel I keep improving in leaps and bounds THANKYOU....
Kat :D
One horse disagreer of the Apocalypse
#175 Old 24th Aug 2007 at 8:15 PM
I have used the GMDC extract and replace successfully (using 5gd filetype) on a previous occasion, some time ago. Today I installed this latest set, and now I find when I Replace, the GMDC is renamed and that messes up the scenegraph chain. What am I doing wrong?

"You can do refraction by raymarching through the depth buffer" (c. Reddeyfish 2017)
Page 7 of 14