Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Mad Poster
#76 Old 17th Jun 2013 at 7:32 PM
Quote: Originally posted by boobzilla
also, if you want to have a open restaurant, we can make one, duh. there are registers you can buy food from, and npcs that run them. same with the bookstore. its basically a library. as far as virtual grocery shopping, sounds like watching paint dry, but im sure a general store register will do. find a open community lot and get building.

You cannot create a fully-functional restaurant in The Sims 3 in the same way that you could in The Sims 2. Aside from the fact that the food register comes with World Adventures, restaurants in The Sims 3 do not have waiters to serve your Sims, and there are no special seating interactions exclusive to restaurants. Basically, restaurants in The Sims 3 are like fast food joints in that your Sim gets food very quickly and eats alone at a random table. They are just for the purpose of filling the hunger bar, which you could just take care of at home. Plus, where are the cooks, the host, and the required kitchen for the staff to appear into? The Sims 2-style restaurants were perfect for dates, outings, and storytelling.
Advertisement
Rogue Redeemer
retired moderator
#77 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 11:56 AM
I'd say that in general you can't create really anything fully interactive & functional in TS3, like the Ambition shops that were far from OFB style business game play and many of the professions weren't exactly in-depth. Island Paradise seems to finally introduce that kind of a actually complete interactive game play system, but it's disappointing how late into the series something like that was introduced! :/

This kind of lack of general interactiveness in every aspect of the game has been a major pitfall of TS3, which is odd considering that The Sims is supposed to be all about life simulation! Maybe EA really is going for a path to take this franchise further away from the original idea and turn it into something different, like they did with Sim City. Already with TS3 they tried to push more and more online aspects and goal-oriented repetitive task game play instead of actual life simulation...
Scholar
#78 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 4:22 PM
Quote: Originally posted by boobzilla
there are enough live action careers from ambitions, plus showtime performance careers and late night bands (and more self employed options with twallans career mod) and now running a resort with island paradise to keep me from complaining about not being able to access my sim at work. the business career is probably just making photocopies all day, anyway. its realistic. the jobs that are monotonous and tedious feel like it..
All they need to do for all careers instead of being boring is make some objects and add mini games like the ones in the Sims online without the online part. Examples are, "Concessione DiPizza" Professional Kitchen (Pizza), Tomb Hunters of the Lost Llama (Maze) and Core Business Unit (Code) it's a very good start IMO. Other workers from the same branch could join too, in order to make some money. Don't forget the Mixologist bar from LN. This will create less RH space than large unnecessary RH space. And you know how the EA Forums are, They hate mods and CC with a passion! I'm still can't get over the fact that features like this are completely ignored in the Sims 3. I think it time for me to stop hoping for OFB for the Sims 3 because the Store team seems to ignore features like this too.
Alchemist
#79 Old 18th Jun 2013 at 4:39 PM
Quote: Originally posted by 9b8ll
All they need to do for all careers instead of being boring is make some objects and add mini games like the ones in the Sims online without the online part. Examples are, "Concessione DiPizza" Professional Kitchen (Pizza), Tomb Hunters of the Lost Llama (Maze) and Core Business Unit (Code) it's a very good start IMO. Other workers from the same branch could join too, in order to make some money. Don't forget the Mixologist bar from LN. This will create less RH space than large unnecessary RH space. And you know how the EA Forums are, They hate mods and CC with a passion! I'm still can't get over the fact that features like this are completely ignored in the Sims 3. I think it time for me to stop hoping for OFB for the Sims 3 because the Store team seems to ignore features like this too.

I love your ideas. Thank you for the links!
Scholar
#80 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 8:49 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Original_Sim
I love your ideas. Thank you for the links!
You're welcome
Instructor
#81 Old 23rd Jun 2013 at 9:50 AM
Actually, did anyone else ever play the waitressing career in the Sims Online? You would take orders from customers and serve the food accordingly. It was a fun little thing to do and try and get the maximum number of orders before the shift completed. They could essentially create those types of jobs in which we interact with instead of just having the rabbit holes.

Something like this would be great:

- Have all rabbit holes open (even the boring ones) but give us the option of just going to work without having to complete tasks for an average amount of money.
- Completing the tasks in the workplace gives extra commission and/or quicker promotion.
- With larger families the option should be simple, so you get an average wage and don't have to worry about the Sim at work.
- The same could be done for other places, go inside if you wish or opt for the simpler version.

This would be a good medium for all and caters for everyone.

Love does not consist of two people looking at each other, but of looking together in the right direction. - Antoine de Exupery
Forum Resident
#82 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 2:19 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Nick-the-Greek
Muhahahaha!! I'm the evil EA!!! Run away in terror as I take your money but selling you trash!!! Muhahahaha run, run away my fellow subjects! I'm the ruler of what you're playing! I influence you! Run! Ruuuuuuuuun! Muhahahahaha!

P.S.: I agree, no rabbit holes!

Too bad I don't have to buy it if it's trash. Heck, I've never even played The Sims 2, although this is mostly because I was in high school at the time that TS3 was released and too busy doing other things.

Edit: LOL, I absolutely have played TS2, I meant I've never played TS3.
Field Researcher
#83 Old 26th Jun 2013 at 7:05 PM
I just think that working Sims should be found about town in the places you would expect to see them, e.g. an NPC firefighter is replaced by your Sim who has that career. If a fire starts on another lot you're playing, your Sim who you earlier chose that career for will show up. If EA decide to open up restaurants, your Sim who you made a waiter or chef will be working there. Alongside that, other random Sims from the town might have those jobs, and you will see them working occasionally - they will keep that career if they become the active household, because they have been progressing ever since the game designated their job based on traits. (The game should have an inbuilt cheat charm to designate families/Sims that you don't want story-progressed into a career not of your choosing.)

I don't think we need to see all Sims at work, but we should be able to locate the ones who are likely to be working on a community lot. If the Sim works indoors you are unlikely to spot them unless it's lunchtime or they're goofing off. I also think they should keep the current opportunities system for all employed/studying Sims, and expand on it to create some Alter-Ego style situations which could have serious repercussions on your Sim's life outside of work - that would be a lot more interesting than getting to watch them type and yawn all day until hometime, and not to mention less of a waste of space and computing for those who don't care for dull career play. The reason we have less interactions in The Sims 3 is because they can't or don't want to animate it all, so it would make sense to include more aspects to the game which are probability-based and offscreen but still affect the Sim's life, leaving the important things to be visually represented.
Test Subject
#84 Old 27th Jun 2013 at 2:07 AM
I believe that by the use of rabbitholes one can have a larger town - even up to a big city. Some buildings placed for show (RH), others for usage (open).
Lab Assistant
#85 Old 3rd Jul 2013 at 2:35 PM
Quote: Originally posted by BlakeS5678
Exactly, so the people that say "We should see inside the restaurants but, not their jobs!" are they implying there should be two restaurants, one you eat in and one you work in? That's pretty much how it was in The Sims 2.
The sim could go on autopilot while at work, and then actually work in the restaurant. You can't actually control him when he's at work, but you can see him walk around.

Sounds fair, doesn't it? It removes the need to sit there and babysit your sim when he works, but you still feel that he's actually working and not just disappearing for a couple of hours then reappears with some money.
Lab Assistant
#86 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 7:03 PM
I would like to make a suggestion. Replace Rabbit Holes with Shells. This way you can see inside them when your active sim is there. I have been holding out on buying the Sims 3 because I cannot make my own shops and restaurants and I have limited ability to manage employees. Then again, OFB businesses only allow you to visit them when you play as the owner. I think for simplicity sake, you should be able to have 3 types of workplaces, "Rabbit Holes" where you can ONLY see a couple of rooms and only when your active sim is there, "Shells" where you can change the interior as long as you keep certain items (sort of like penthouses or like in the Sims Medieval), and "Build Your Own Business" where you have complete control, including construction, decorating, hiring/firing, and managing and you can see inside it whenever the active sim is the owner or visitor.

Heck, special "Rabbit Hole" exteriors or signs plus appropriate cash registers, shelves, appliances, and OFB behavior could easily be added in an Expansion Pack for the Sims 3.

--Ocram

Always do your best.
Alchemist
#87 Old 4th Jul 2013 at 7:28 PM
Quote: Originally posted by AzemOcram
I have been holding out on buying the Sims 3 because I cannot make my own shops and restaurants and I have limited ability to manage employees. Then again, OFB businesses only allow you to visit them when you play as the owner.

You can visit businesses as a customer in OFB. It's just like visiting any other community lot.
Scholar
#88 Old 8th Jul 2013 at 11:24 PM
Quote: Originally posted by JohanFoppa
The sim could go on autopilot while at work, and then actually work in the restaurant. You can't actually control him when he's at work, but you can see him walk around.Sounds fair, doesn't it? It removes the need to sit there and babysit your sim when he works, but you still feel that he's actually working and not just disappearing for a couple of hours then reappears with some money.

As long it's a choice to manage them if you wish to do so then I agree with you 110%!

Quote: Originally posted by AzemOcram
I would like to make a suggestion. Replace Rabbit Holes with Shells. This way you can see inside them when your active sim is there. I have been holding out on buying the Sims 3 because I cannot make my own shops and restaurants and I have limited ability to manage employees. Then again, OFB businesses only allow you to visit them when you play as the owner. I think for simplicity sake, you should be able to have 3 types of workplaces, "Rabbit Holes" where you can ONLY see a couple of rooms and only when your active sim is there, "Shells" where you can change the interior as long as you keep certain items (sort of like penthouses or like in the Sims Medieval), and "Build Your Own Business" where you have complete control, including construction, decorating, hiring/firing, and managing and you can see inside it whenever the active sim is the owner or visitor.

Heck, special "Rabbit Hole" exteriors or signs plus appropriate cash registers, shelves, appliances, and OFB behavior could easily be added in an Expansion Pack for the Sims 3.
Agreed! I say this again and again, the features that is missing from the Sims 3 was custom management.The Consignment store doesn't count and nothing compare to previous Sim Sequels! I loved seeing open restaurants and manage things like OFB. (I'm gonna keep complaining about this.) I still can't get over the fact that none of these things still exist. I Hope both of these features are implemented in the Sims 4 one way or another.
Forum Resident
#89 Old 9th Jul 2013 at 1:32 AM
I didn't fully read this thread, so I don't know if anyone has thought of this yet, but what if there was a back-room door object (Think of the sauna's from The Sims 2, only completely blacked out.), where people can work when not being controlled directly. That way you don't have to worry about micromanaging your sims at work, but you can open up Rabbit Holes to provide services that you can actually see.
Page 4 of 4