Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Quick Reply
Search this Thread
Instructor
#76 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 6:16 PM
Isn't this thread already the discussion area for the wiki build section? (BTW, did I already tell you that you guys did a great job? It became a great tutorial collection easy to use and find what you are looking for Excellent!)
Yes, stiking the link to the wiki build mode tutorials in the build section in here would make sense of course.
Though I think instead of that adding the link as a stand-alone link where the Sub-Forums: Building are listed would make sense, too. In this case this thread could be moved in there as the discussion thread and everybody should be able to find both easily.

Site owners, esp. those who offer lots and/or tutorials could also include the wiki-link to their sites, too.

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Advertisement
Warrior Gryphon
site owner
Original Poster
#77 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 7:10 PM
...or I could do what I just did, and hide the 2 current tutorials, add in a new one thats a redirect to the Wiki and change the "See More Tutorials" link on the Create page to point to the Wiki too (that I have to copy onto the main servers now...)

Story books are full of fairy tales, of Kings and Queens, and the bluest skies.
Instructor
#78 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 7:42 PM
Ehm, yes, doing what you just did is another option And I like that!

Yes, I am serious though I'm not serious at all. I'm serious about this!
Even the joker can be deadly serious...
Wichtig ist, was hinten raus kommt!
Entscheidend daran ist, wie?
Mad Poster
#79 Old 29th Dec 2006 at 8:34 PM
Do as you think the best technically and for an easy access for the user.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

* Plus j'échoue plus je m'approche de la réussite
* The more I fail the more I approach the success

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#80 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 7:13 AM
I think it can be helpful to list out the tutorial maker as well if any.
coz there're some tutes with very similar names.
Mad Poster
#81 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 7:56 AM
I aggree with you Niol but it is because some tutos are very similar !
It is for some subjects if they explain how make 2 => 1+1 or o+2 or 0.5+1.5 or 3-1.....
Now i think somebody will write THE UTLIMATE TUTO ABOUT 2 !
I have my advice about some of them (outdated) but ever helpful if you understand the explanation much better than from a new writen tuto.

You know a site allowing re-upload of free build/buy stuff in lots ? Help us to update the list !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#82 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 6:38 PM Last edited by niol : 1st Jan 2007 at 7:49 AM.
Paul,
you surely got the idea why to keep a few of the similar ones...! :D
There're also hierarchial trees of ways to make a build-feature just like the packages...!

All,
I guess I still haven't figured out how to make a new page with all those templates yet, nor am I having that much time to figure out to do so these days...(but if it's easy, I'd know tho!:P)

Please, anyone help make some tutorial threads for the following ones...

Internal Modular Stairs Tutorial (L-shaped) (MikeInside @ MTS2)
http://mikeinside.modthesims2.com/b...all2/index.html
This one got mixed up with an another Mikeinside's tute, so 2 became 1. I've already indicated where it can be at the stair section.

Frillen @Maxis...(search "Frillen" @ Maxis)
Tutorial: Magical Bits'n'Pieces 1
http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/sto...&user_id=126444

(I may add more here as I see fit and I'm unsure at the moment...sorry for such confusion which I've now.)

I wonder if tips threads can be linked to the wiki as well even though they're not exactly full tutorials

Added:
is it good to keep the 2 sections visible until a check or a confirmation that they're all in the new wiki build mode tutorial section?
Mad Poster
#83 Old 30th Dec 2006 at 8:57 PM
Niol,
for your last question i think that the tips in threads must be rewrited to be readable, do you want to spend one hour to read a complete thread to find the last part of the info on post #80 ? Not me and not only because english is not my language !
For instant there is enough job with the tutos made as real tutorials.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#84 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 5:52 AM Last edited by niol : 31st Dec 2006 at 6:08 AM.
Lol, no , the tips can be as thread links as well as post links. The latter will open specific posts of a thread instead.

So, it's unnecessarily to link threads when posts can do it.

Also, there can be a section for links to these relatively unorganised infos. So, those who can deal with tips or data like these can go there for a search and they know they have to sort something out before getting them or even not getting them. Yet, at least they can have a higher chance to find something they want than fooling around the highly mixed pool. I believe wiki is for various types of users and I believe there're some who will do so as they see fit.

I know the effort to redo or make those tips more readable to those who can't handle them easier is a good approach, but this can happen when someone is motivated enough to help break this barrier for those who happen not capable of dealing with them.
Mad Poster
#85 Old 31st Dec 2006 at 7:45 AM
niol,
I aggree with you, i am just answer for the 100th time a sideway question with this : http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=97102.... Perhaps add in each categorie a "useful link" ou subcategorie with direct links to posts and/or threads with a correct title. Not add it with the tuto because some info are useful for many things.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#86 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 5:55 AM
Mad Poster
#87 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 8:54 AM
It will be useful if you could update this thread, it is wonderful : http://www.modthesims2.com/showthread.php?t=85580

I will use it to add threads in something like category:tutorials build mode garage otherlinks

Not today ...and happy new year Moi_

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#88 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 7:01 PM
allo patul,

Just carry on calling me niol. "Moi", as you know it, means "me". Using it is kinda ego-centric/egoistique. I used that just because it's distinguishable from other prefixes and also signify people that the maker is an ego-centric person! Commenting badly without relevant points won't affect this person much except the resultant laughters!

As for the thread, I've been believing nobody would read it.
Nay, just teasing myself.
I guess I'll carry on to update my post as long as I and that open thread are still here. Yet, whether should I disappear, someone can just start a new post for that cause. I see no problem.

oops, the slo niol finally realised you asked him to categorise the tutorials and tips accordingly..., right?
:D
Mad Poster
#89 Old 1st Jan 2007 at 8:29 PM
Sorry for 'Moi_" it was friendly
For the wiki you dont need to categorize the thread , it is just that you have some lists and for those (In fact you and me I believe...) who want to add these links in the wiki it is easier to do it without search too much.

I thik that the right things will be in the good category and if there is some approximative things...to be corrected later.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#90 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 7:09 AM
lol Patul, no need to take the way to call me too seriously... as long as I know whom you're refering to.
I'm 100% cool with it... but just wanna let you know I'm more used to be called as "niol" while calling me "Moi_" doesn't make any sense to me even tho it's reasonable and rational!

Actually, should I just integrate the links into the wiki sections with "missing page" to tell readers that there's no wiki page for those tutorials yet? It seems the simplest way to start to integrate them into the wiki. N, I hope that won't take too long...
The bad is someone has to check the missing page out to make new pages. I'm still not at a point to capably make new pages there yet.

As for the tip threads or posts, I guess we need to divide the terrain paint from the floor and wall because all terrain paint tutorials seem to have nothing to do with the wall and the floor and vice versa while the latter 2 are highly co-related in order to build up a room. A small bit change in the wall size may twist the connecting floor layer a bit, and so as vice versa. Indeed as you know it, shaping floor layer is just another way to shape the walls as well. The terrain paint tutorials can fit into the decoration, Miscellaneous or Landscaping section.

I guess I've done pretty much updates on Raphael's tutorials, but I get confused about what to do when I realised there're also wiki profiles for the authors...
So, I guess, we may just use one of the names of a particular author for the author profile name. Then, extend the various potential names and user profiles links of other sites on the profile page.

I hope I can give out all I know far before the potential emergence of TS3... Anyway, I'll carry on triming down some unwanted dls or attachment of mine.

I've to admit I've made a coceptual tutorial to show how one can shape the level layers a multi-levelled way... I asked this member to help me post it. I made it to explain how I did a "globe"-like decoration in one of the lots I've made.
http://www.modthesims2.com/showpost...07&postcount=47
I guess it should also fit into the wall-floor section as a conceptual tutorial.
It's like the under-4-click tutorial, one has to lesrn the basic concept and envision how to apply the concept during building. It's not hard but probably some planned works.
Mad Poster
#91 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 8:50 AM Last edited by patul : 2nd Jan 2007 at 9:09 AM.
Dont worry for the author's profiles, it is just a category useful mostly for create a page.
Sure some infos have to be linked in many categories, but it is just a link to paste. (like some tutos already belongs to 2 or more categories)
I will add a 'useful links' line in the sub sections where the links may be pasted.

edit : have a look to the garage section, I have just copy and paste some links you wrote in the eedgan tuto (those I know). Feedback requested

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#92 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 6:06 PM Last edited by niol : 2nd Jan 2007 at 6:12 PM.
The useful link section looks great...

But, I kinda think the extra tutorials deserve to have their pages and listed along with the paged tutorials. Yet, it's gonna be more works!
The trouble-shooting threads or tips threads or posts can be in the useful link section

All,
should we have some hidden back-ups of the tutorials just in case of a fall of a site? Yes, we need permission for that or asking those site owners to join in the force for their own parts.
Most sites can't escape from the common fate of doom... Let's cross the fingers hopefully, the wiki and MTS2 will last much longer...

So, backups of some essential infos are no joke.

Tutorial-makers are encouraged to join the force by giving out infos of their tutorials probably as well as others. The stair section can be an example. My PC couldn't finished loading 2 of Jonesi's stair tutes, so I've not finished describing them.
Mad Poster
#93 Old 2nd Jan 2007 at 9:08 PM
I aggree with you for the tutos ...it was an example, I let them in one line to save space for some subject they are more numerous than tutos !
The choice is not very easy, for some of them a re-writing may be useful...later !

If one dont aggree with the choices made... he have a keyboard to do it !

I aggree with you for the backups but tutos are not really essentials many of them exists in many versions and numerous people are able to redo these.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Forum Resident
#94 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 11:49 AM
Hey guys, I saw my video demo on the wiki! neat-o I uploaded a somewhat better version (clearer screen, a few text overlay notes) and deleted the old version... don't worry though, I've already updated the link in the wiki too

Subtle In Spades
Mad Poster
#95 Old 3rd Jan 2007 at 1:35 PM
Thank you khakidoo, it is better
I've made eedgan's one a real tuto and moved the links with the tuto as they are only for this kind of building tip.

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#96 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 3:41 PM Last edited by niol : 4th Jan 2007 at 3:50 PM.
Lol, probably, we just add in those that are pretty much different from the ones already there while linking the very similar as extra links.

Then, there'll be a tip section for maybe most types of the build mode section?

A cheatless section sounds doubling up the amount of categorisation (so, redundant) to me, or it becomes a pile of random tutorials.

How about in the categorised listings, we give out the info -- if the tutoroial needs any cheat? Basically, something like (cheat required) or (cheatless).
It may be OK before or after the author names, right?
Should we just break the lines for each blanketted info as in those links I made in the linkage posts for EZ eye-hunting once the users get used to the format?

Lol, just ask me to hold my horse when it's too much...
Or this crazy slug will wander much further!
Mad Poster
#97 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 5:00 PM
For the "cheatless" it is a category line to add in the tuto (already exists) or may be in the "what you need"
I think a "general tips" section from the forum(s) may be useful, but 1 thing after the previous !

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#98 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 8:27 PM
Sorry,

I wanted to mean the cheat-free section seems to be redundant here ratther a section in tutorial section or a tutorial page..
http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials..._Mode_Tutorials

while adding (cheatless) to the tutorial links in a page of a tutorial section like
http://www.sims2wiki.info/Tutorials:Stairs
Say, a user can use a search or find to find the string phrase.

So, you meant a tips sub-forum?
Mad Poster
#99 Old 4th Jan 2007 at 9:42 PM Last edited by patul : 4th Jan 2007 at 9:54 PM.
No I mean interesting build tips from the forum they are not in a tutorial category, may be some simple tips like the "flashing terrain" in the sticked, or very technical posts like some by someone i dont remind his name, about walls behaviour... .

The title is quite long with author(s) an site(s) and cheat or not.
I think the player dont chearch an author but a tut to build his lot, and, sure, not a particular site.
Quote:
Spiral Stairs Inspirations ("spiral") (cheat-less) (Ralphaelninja @ MTS2 / SimMasterRalph @ Exchange)
Mod Stairs Tutorial (Part 1 - "Spiral") ("spiral") (cheat-less) (Jonesi @ MTS2/Reflexsims
is not very easy to read !
We must add the link and the infos for each tuto ... not very easy and too heavy to manage. The wiki have n automatic linkage with the categories.

I think it is possible to add "(cheat-less)" in the tut page name. It is the move option for each page.

I saw a lot of readers for this thread so perhaps someone else could give us an useful advice ? Or as the wiki is on line ask the members advice in a thread ?

(Lao patul MMVI AD)
Mad Poster
#100 Old 5th Jan 2007 at 7:23 AM
Patul,
I see your points, so I suggest to make those extra blanketted infos on the next line for clarity.
The naming thing is what I was talking about if I should just a name and make all those other names in the profile pages instead. So, now I guess you want that, too... Matched. :D

Yeah, I think they should also give in their suggestions, they owe us who try to build it! :D
Locked thread | Locked by: ThreadMover Reason: Outdated / No Replies
Page 4 of 6