Hi there! You are currently browsing as a guest. Why not create an account? Then you get less ads, can thank creators, post feedback, keep a list of your favourites, and more!
Theorist
#26 Old 29th Aug 2020 at 11:09 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
@AndrewGloria Grumpy Loader gets around the installation problem that happens on Windows 10:
https://modthesims.info/showthread....458#post4051458
You need this help too for the Suckyrom issue.

I agree about the Windows versions, Windows 8 really sucked! Windows 10 is good so far though (although nothing beats Windows RG!).

Even Windows Millennium? That one was rubbish.
I currently have Windows 8.1 and had to use Grumpy Loader to install TS2.
Advertisement
Field Researcher
#27 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 6:57 AM
I've had
Windows for Workgroups 3.11 (and DOS of course) - outdated obviously
Windows 98 SE - my personal favorite
Windows XP - was always super slow for me, maybe a Pentium 4 thing - also tons of malware
Windows Vista - really doesn't deserve the hate; the most usable post-DOS version of Windows, imo
Windows 7 (32 bit) - on my laptop, it's like Vista without a "Classic Start Menu" option; don't know why 7 is loved and Vista is hated
Windows 10 - ugly, control freak, lack of customization or personalization; file explorer feels like a setback from Vista/7; have to emphasize this again, this OS is a control freak!
Mad Poster
#28 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 9:37 AM
I had Wondowls XP on my older laptop and loved it back when I was using it a lot though I'm currently using Windows 7 on my 8 year old laptop and hope to get Windows 7 along with Windows 10 in a dual boot on my next laptop.I'll use Windows 7 for sims play and Windows 10 for general uses like going online.
Mad Poster
#29 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 11:18 AM
I kept Windows XP until the last possible moment, long after it'd been abandoned by MS-then I switched to Win 7-because I had a older computer, it was slower (not enough) memory) and so when my computer died suddenly of natural causes earlier this year, I had a good friend upgrade the computer with tons of memory and reinstalled Win 7, which he understood completely.
Because he hates Windows 10, and refuses to use it either.
Now it runs beautifully and I still refuse to have Windows 10.

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Instructor
#30 Old 31st Aug 2020 at 8:19 PM
Well, I'm running Windows 8 and I'm used to it now. It took awhile and a lot of hair pulling but I finally got my Sims 2 to work on it, which drove me mad because it worked perfectly for me on 7. I'm dreading the time when my current desktop starts to make the death gasps because I expect I will be forced to get 10, Hubby has it on his computer and I dislike it whenever I have to go onto his to do something for him because everything seems awkward - I guess I just don't know it that well. Then of course I will have to go through the whole dance of making Sims 2 work on Windows 10!
I've also just managed to get Word installed on my laptop (wasn't able to previously) so I'm pretty excited about that because it is going to make it much more possible for me to start writing Sims stories again (long story about desktop location and timing, blah, blah).

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Forum Resident
#31 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 7:48 PM
Welcome home Dizzy Noodles ! And it is lovely to see so many dear familiar faces in this thread. I have also been away from here for several months. As the saying goes "Life happens". I know that this past year has had its challenges for all of us!

I've had Windows 10 since it came out and my much loved Sims 2 operates just fine and dandy. Needed to make the change from XP want to or not! ((LOL)) Took a while to get used to its ways.

I am a long, long time Sim player and creator (building, challenges and stories). even so, I learn something new each time I visit MTS. By the way, perhaps some of you don't consider yourself to be a 'creator' or Sim artist. Think again! Even if we use our Sims to write stories , to build or create content or challenges for our own game only we are creating. This is what keeps our interest in and enjoyment of this game alive. (In my opinion. Just wanted to say so.)
e3 d3 Ne2 Nd2 Nb3 Ng3
retired moderator
#32 Old 1st Sep 2020 at 8:07 PM
Quote: Originally posted by Essa
Even Windows Millennium? That one was rubbish.
I've used every version of Windows at some point, many of them in a business environment (I worked for many years as an engineer as well as an IT tech) and I can unequivocally say that Windows 8 was the worst. 8.1 was marginally better, but not much!
Instructor
#33 Old 2nd Sep 2020 at 4:10 AM
Quote: Originally posted by teafortwo
Welcome home Dizzy Noodles ! And it is lovely to see so many dear familiar faces in this thread. I have also been away from here for several months. As the saying goes "Life happens". I know that this past year has had its challenges for all of us!

I've had Windows 10 since it came out and my much loved Sims 2 operates just fine and dandy. Needed to make the change from XP want to or not! ((LOL)) Took a while to get used to its ways.

I am a long, long time Sim player and creator (building, challenges and stories). even so, I learn something new each time I visit MTS. By the way, perhaps some of you don't consider yourself to be a 'creator' or Sim artist. Think again! Even if we use our Sims to write stories , to build or create content or challenges for our own game only we are creating. This is what keeps our interest in and enjoyment of this game alive. (In my opinion. Just wanted to say so.)

Thank you so much for saying this, teafortwo! I have put a tremendous amount of time, energy, thought and creativity into each one of my challenges and did so because I found it a deeply satisfying creative pursuit but I have had certain other simmers tell me that my challenges didn't make me a "creator" because they are not an "object" or piece of cc that other simmers can download and use. I found that dismissive attitude to be rather narrow-minded and ignorant of what creativity truly is. Fortunately most simmers are as you describe and find all sorts of ways to keep interested and keep enjoying this game! Game on!

@Simsample: Glad to hear you say that. Now I know it's not just my imagination! I'm seriously dreading Windows 10, as I know that day will come.

Find all of my Challenges in MTS Sims 2 Challenges "Ye Olde" Section:
Vllygrl's By George! Regency Play Style/Challenge; Regency/Victorian ROS;
The Medieval Charter Challenge & ROS for MCC;
The Crown of Laurels Challenge; & Besieged! New Medieval Challenge & Medieval ROS.
Theorist
#34 Old 2nd Sep 2020 at 9:02 AM
Quote: Originally posted by simsample
I've used every version of Windows at some point, many of them in a business environment (I worked for many years as an engineer as well as an IT tech) and I can unequivocally say that Windows 8 was the worst. 8.1 was marginally better, but not much!

I wanted to get W7 when I upgraded my previous desktop. I was advised to get 8.1 since it was most recent at the time.
I kept it when I built my current desktop.

@vllygrl
I think creativity lies everywhere.
Mad Poster
#35 Old 2nd Sep 2020 at 9:18 AM
Quote:

You're right in that idea-most people watch TV shows that are episode driven, correct? (think soap operas) and they can become obsessed with them. I figure it's the same thing for the game, and many people who post their game stories are actually 'content producers' for their 'shows' and the people who read and follow them are the fans of those particular stories.

So yes, I'm the director, producer and writer of my pixels reality shows.
Now on day 46 of " Tinsel Town Days".
With many thanks to those who read the content updates!

Receptacle Refugee & Resident Polar Bear
"Get out of my way, young'un, I'm a ninja!"
Grave Matters: The funeral podium is available here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/e6tj...albits.zip/file
My other downloads are here: https://app.mediafire.com/myfiles
Mad Poster
#36 Old 2nd Sep 2020 at 4:42 PM
I'm the one directing and controlling my sims in Dodge and also the one who created the drama about the first winter being such a hard winter with constant blizzards all season long.My Jankowskys got snowed in at home and couldn't get to work all winter in 1840.Dodge is currently having a long dry spell and it might end up being a drought.
Scholar
Original Poster
#37 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 12:58 PM
Hello everyone, sorry for the late replies - I got a bit caught up in default replacing hairs and forgot to check back here!

I decided to switch my gaming laptop to Windows 10 after all - knowing me I'd forget and go on the internet if I kept it on Windows 7, and I suspect my old laptop is getting a bit too old now, and might conk out soon anyway. So I'm being brave and trying it now, or I'll never switch laptops and start playing the actual game!

I'm just backing up my files to my old laptop using a USB stick - it's frustrating because the old laptop only has one USB port, and the trackpad is broken - it's a single square which 'clicks' by you pressing on the bottom left or right corner, which was fine when it was new, but now the right side is so stiff that pressing it actually hurts my wrists! I use a wireless USB mouse with it normally to avoid this, but when I have a USB stick in the port I can't use my mouse. Does anyone know if there is a way to 'right click' without the track pad please?

Whilst making default replacement hairs I have set up my sims 2 game on the old laptop, to check in game etc. and it seems to be working, so fingers crossed for the gaming laptop!

AndrewGloria = I'm gald you're happy and that you don't have the hill to wrestle with anymore! I hope your work picks up soon. Is your new house in a nice area? Covid has been very strange, but I've actually started to enjoy walking, and I think I'd like to keep it up once things return to a bit more normal.

It's fun to hear about your sims, best wishes to them too! Congrats to Andrew and Julian! I haven't played with mine yet, I've been making defaults for everything bodyshop related and got a bit carried away! But am looking forwards to playing again. I used to play my favourite sims with aging off too, but then I had some sims in Strangetown where I would play with aging on.

joandsarah77 = I'm sorry to hear about your health issues, but it's good things have been better lately. I have a chronic disease myself, it can make things really hard sometimes. I agree about Windows 10, when I set it up on my old laptop I set it up in such a way as to avoid most of it's 'features' (I see them more as annoyances), but I can't remember how I did it, so I might have some googling to do!

teafortwo = Thanks, it's nice to be back. I like your point about creating too

Thanks to everyone for the technical advice, I have done the following:
*Backed up Documents, Downloads, Pictures, Videos etc.
*Backed up my Sims 2 and Subnautica saved games
*Backed up my setup/installation files for my computer programs and sims programs

Is there anything else I have missed please?

I feel like I've forgotten a lot about doing this kind of thing. When I set up my gaming laptop, I deleted a lot of the stuff that came with it which I didn't need, I'm wondering if that will come back or if the gaming laptop will be fairly 'clean' once Windows 10 is on it?
Mad Poster
#38 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 5:32 PM
@Dizzy-noodles -I've been creating a few neighborhoods out of EA terrain templates for others to set up as they wish and am about to go live in a Pleasantview Epic Challenge when my first colonial settlers arrive to start the colony in the spring of 1600.I'm setting up for my apocalypse challenge in Riverdale using the Riverblossom Hills terrain template as the town's template and the first settlers there arrive in the spring of 1520.I only use my own custom built apartment lots as I know mine work and come without issues I found in the EA ones.
Scholar
Original Poster
#39 Old 26th Mar 2021 at 7:18 PM
Thanks, that sounds interesting, is that on your blog link in your signature?
Lab Assistant
#40 Old 27th Mar 2021 at 5:42 PM
I have a separate Windows XP laptop that was cheap and refurbished for my Sims, and because I use it separately from my main PC it doesn't go online at all. Absolutely love the system of keeping my Sims on one screen and my spreadsheets etc on another, but I am dreading when it dies on me!
Scholar
Original Poster
#41 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 2:14 AM
Thanks, I was really tempted by that idea at first (to keep my gaming laptop offline), but not only am I very forgetful and would probably go online by accident, but I'm a bit of a downloader, so I'd probably get fed up of downloading to one laptop, then transferring the files to the gaming one.

It sounds like a great setup though, spreadsheets sounds very organised I've only recently started typing on a word document instead - I did have a notepad (a paper one), but it got full, and it wasn't easy to find the information I wanted amongst my old scribbles!
Field Researcher
#42 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 5:32 AM
Quote: Originally posted by Dizzy-noodles
Hello everyone, sorry for the late replies - I got a bit caught up in default replacing hairs and forgot to check back here!
I'm just backing up my files to my old laptop using a USB stick - it's frustrating because the old laptop only has one USB port, and the trackpad is broken - it's a single square which 'clicks' by you pressing on the bottom left or right corner, which was fine when it was new, but now the right side is so stiff that pressing it actually hurts my wrists! I use a wireless USB mouse with it normally to avoid this, but when I have a USB stick in the port I can't use my mouse. Does anyone know if there is a way to 'right click' without the track pad please?

On my laptop I can tap the trackpad with two fingers to right-click - much easier than pressing on the corner. See if it works for yours - I hope so!

I have the same problem with my laptop; it has only one USB port, so I can't use a mouse and transfer files to a USB stick at the same time. My gaming desktop is currently not connected to the internet, so I've been downloading on the laptop and transferring new CC to my gaming computer on a USB stick. Having a mouse is something I miss most desperately when I'm trying to accurately highlight a group of files to transfer to the stick, and that's right when I can't have one.
Theorist
#43 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 11:41 AM
Personally I've been using Windows 10 for a few weeks now, since I got my new gaming PC.
And personally, I quite like it. I was using woindows 8 before that and really liked it too.
I haven't tried to install Sims 2 yet, but I'm sure there'll be a way to make it work.

Isn't the problem really tbat EA fails to release a patch that would make TS2 Co. Patible with newer OSs? And isn't that also the reason why they won't release it on Oregin?

Taking an extended break from Sims stuff. Might be around, might not.
Forum Resident
#44 Old 28th Mar 2021 at 3:55 PM
I'm not sure. The issue seems to lie in the fact that TS2 is an older game and so you have to go through hoops to get it to recognise newer graphics cards and other things. Windows 10 alao has a memory allocation issue from my understanding. This can be easily fixed by EA making it compatible and implementing some fixes, however they seem to be too busy bleeding TS4 dry to care.

It does work on Windows 10 if you use the GraphicsRules Maker. That's the only fix I have as the 4GB Patch never works for me and I've been trying it on and off for months. From what I've noticed, it seems to be dependent on certain computer components how much of a hassle it is to get TS2 work, but I could be wrong; it's just a theory. The point is that you can play TS2 on Windows 10, so don't worry.

When a game is predictable, it's boring.
That goes for any medium that isn't life.
That's why The Sims 2 is my favourite sims game.
It has elements of unpredictability and everything feels more involved.
The Sims 4 is another story altogether...
Page 2 of 2